Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235237 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #1012: Feb 26, 2020 11:32:53 am
      Get that he wasn’t at his best the other night and given that he has had a stop start initiation to his career.

Despite all that he leads the way in our team for any player in the number 8 position, just need to look at what he does with the ball and how successful he is and that’s without his defensive contribution.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1013: Feb 26, 2020 02:49:32 pm
      Get that he wasn’t at his best the other night and given that he has had a stop start initiation to his career.

Despite all that he leads the way in our team for any player in the number 8 position, just need to look at what he does with the ball and how successful he is and that’s without his defensive contribution.

does he, Id say the Ox is better at number 8
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1014: Feb 26, 2020 03:24:10 pm
      does he, Id say the Ox is better at number 8

Yes...........he makes more key passes, forward passes and more successful passes per game than Ox plus he also makes more tackles per game.

Of course Ox scores more but he is more attacking minded than Naby.
      Ryreb
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts | 24 
      Reply #1015: Feb 26, 2020 04:20:15 pm
      It’s a small sample size but I based on what I’ve seen during their time at Liverpool,  I’d take Naby at his best over Ox. The problem is Naby has been far more inconsistent. The question is, how much of that is his injury issues or just that he’s just not consistent. 

Klopp  has preferred Fab,  Gini, Milly, and Hendo because he knows what he’s going to get match to match.  Their bad matches are fewer than Ox or Naby good matches. Can even add Lallana...: really good when on his game but when he isn’t he’s invisible.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1016: Feb 26, 2020 09:04:21 pm
      Yes...........he makes more key passes, forward passes and more successful passes per game than Ox plus he also makes more tackles per game.

Of course Ox scores more but he is more attacking minded than Naby.

Apparently it was his off-the-ball performance that Klopp was unhappy with the other night.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1017: Feb 26, 2020 09:07:07 pm
      Apparently it was his off-the-ball performance that Klopp was unhappy with the other night.

modern football dictates off the ball work is almost as important as what they do with it. Jamie Carragher mentioned his stats being good but watching him leaves him confused as his performances don't stack up against his stats.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1018: Feb 26, 2020 09:11:28 pm
      modern football dictates off the ball work is almost as important as what they do with it. Jamie Carragher mentioned his stats being good but watching him leaves him confused as his performances don't stack up against his stats.

Agreed.

The only thing I wonder is if he just needs 4 or 5 starts on the run to really find his form. Problem with that is, as some others have noted earlier in the thread, there's others in the squad who will be getting picked instead of him before he would get that much time in the starting XI. I don't mean to be slagging him by any means - I think he has shown he can be truly instrumental to the team doing well, but for all the reasons stated above and the simple fact that a manager can only pick 11 players to start, he still struggles to be what we are hoping he will be (and what is demanded by his price tag).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1019: Feb 29, 2020 11:07:40 pm
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1020: Mar 01, 2020 08:53:34 am
      Wondering if it's time to start looking to count our losses and bring in someone who we can rely on for more than 3 games. Good player. Bad body?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1021: Mar 01, 2020 01:01:38 pm
      Really hope he finds his fitness soon, willing to give him another season at least.

It kills me because he always shows a glimpse of what could be when gets back into the side but then gets injured and then reality hits again.

Come on Naby you can do it!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1022: Mar 02, 2020 09:07:25 pm
      Really hope he finds his fitness soon, willing to give him another season at least.

It kills me because he always shows a glimpse of what could be when gets back into the side but then gets injured and then reality hits again.

Come on Naby you can do it!

Missing again tomorrow for what is being described as "a sore hip."  :(
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1023: Mar 02, 2020 09:10:08 pm
      Missing again tomorrow for what is being described as "a sore hip."  :(

Getting a bit worried that he might struggle with the physical aspect and playing through the pain barrier as Gerrard noted in his book some people like Sturridge feel a knock and instantly think they cant play whilst others like Stevie or Carra would probably  get through it
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1024: Mar 02, 2020 09:14:55 pm
      One way or another we need a new midfielder in the summer.
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #1025: Mar 02, 2020 11:17:55 pm
      This is it for me. I label Naby a bust. Talent doesn't matter if you can't get on the pitch and Naby has proven more than plenty that he's injury-prone. It's sad because he has the talent to play in our starting 11 and would have made the team better than with Gini/Ox in midfield (along Hendo and Fab). His diverse injuries suggest that his body can't cope with the PL & CL, he might also have psychological issues since those rumours are there.

Make him trade bait and get Sancho/Madison...any midfielder with some creativity because we lack it. Ox somehow didn't show enough and Minamino is still brand new, but we can't trust him. I think a creative midfielder is more important than a striker like Werner. I'd even think about Coutinho if he's cheap and willing to come back with his head down.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1026: Mar 03, 2020 01:40:29 am
      Getting a bit worried that he might struggle with the physical aspect and playing through the pain barrier as Gerrard noted in his book some people like Sturridge feel a knock and instantly think they cant play whilst others like Stevie or Carra would probably  get through it

Remember when JĂźrgen made a comment about Emre Can needing to learn the difference between feeling a little pain and really being injured (something like that)? I suspect Klopp would not be terribly patient with someone who isn't willing to play through pain. Hopefully this is not what is happening with Naby.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1027: Mar 03, 2020 08:59:46 am
      This is it for me. I label Naby a bust. Talent doesn't matter if you can't get on the pitch and Naby has proven more than plenty that he's injury-prone. It's sad because he has the talent to play in our starting 11 and would have made the team better than with Gini/Ox in midfield (along Hendo and Fab). His diverse injuries suggest that his body can't cope with the PL & CL, he might also have psychological issues since those rumours are there.

Make him trade bait and get Sancho/Madison...any midfielder with some creativity because we lack it. Ox somehow didn't show enough and Minamino is still brand new, but we can't trust him. I think a creative midfielder is more important than a striker like Werner. I'd even think about Coutinho if he's cheap and willing to come back with his head down.

Spot on, we really really need a top class creative midfielder and then we can have Curtis as back up/understudy. Ox is good in flashes but way to often goes missing in games, Keita can't be relied on, same with Shaq and all the other midfielders are more defensive minded although I'd love to see JĂźrgen take the shackles off Gini, he plays AM for Netherlands and scores bucketloads, so why not for us, I always feel he is under utilised in our team, he does a good job as CM, but could be so much more?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1028: Mar 03, 2020 09:28:44 am
      Beginning to lose a lot of patience with him now. He has had some serious injuries during his time here but he also seems to be regularly sidelined due to "niggles". As people have mentioned in here, sometimes you've got to play through the pain barrier. Especially if you're in his position.

He must be aware that he's yet to fully prove himself at the club, and if that was me I certainly wouldn't be letting a "niggle" stop me from doing that. Play through the pain barrier and prove your worth. The likes of Salah & Henderson have played through injuries this season, Van Dijk through illness. That's what winners do, and they're some of the first names on the teamsheet, they could easily sit out a game or two and end up straight back in the team when they feel they're ready again. Keita isn't even a key player like those three are, he should be pulling out all of the stops to get himself on the pitch in my opinion
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #1029: Mar 03, 2020 11:17:51 am
      Not sure how it works exactly but are people assuming that it is Naby saying “I don’t want to play” as opposed to being told that he isn’t playing?

I get what people are saying about other players playing through injuries but would it not be prudent to assume that, considering Naby’s injury record, he is being told to sit these games out rather than the other way round.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1030: Mar 03, 2020 11:28:56 am
      Not sure how it works exactly but are people assuming that it is Naby saying “I don’t want to play” as opposed to being told that he isn’t playing?

I get what people are saying about other players playing through injuries but would it not be prudent to assume that, considering Naby’s injury record, he is being told to sit these games out rather than the other way round.

He's out with a "sore hip". If it was a muscle strain or bruising you could understand as there's a scan or visible damage for doctors to assess. As far as we're aware there's no evidence apart from him seemingly informing the club he's not fit enough to play
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #1031: Mar 03, 2020 11:40:09 am
      He's out with a "sore hip". If it was a muscle strain or bruising you could understand as there's a scan or visible damage for doctors to assess. As far as we're aware there's no evidence apart from him seemingly informing the club he's not fit enough to play
      I get what you’re saying mate and it frustrates me as much as the next person however, to be brutally honest, Naby is expendable right now and we can afford for him to be missing these games. Fair enough it doesn’t show on a scan but I’d imagine if he is feeling pain he would need to make the medical staff aware of this and then the decision has been made that he will not take part to avoid any prolonged injury lay-off. He doesn’t strike me as the type of player that could play through an injury, more likely he would just make it worse.

I may be wrong on this and it could be Naby saying he doesn’t want to play but I just don’t see it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1032: Mar 03, 2020 12:44:49 pm
      I get what you’re saying mate and it frustrates me as much as the next person however, to be brutally honest, Naby is expendable right now and we can afford for him to be missing these games. Fair enough it doesn’t show on a scan but I’d imagine if he is feeling pain he would need to make the medical staff aware of this and then the decision has been made that he will not take part to avoid any prolonged injury lay-off. He doesn’t strike me as the type of player that could play through an injury, more likely he would just make it worse.

I may be wrong on this and it could be Naby saying he doesn’t want to play but I just don’t see it.

If Naby is expendable then why the F**k are we paying wages for someone who only plays a game every now and then, time to move him on, he's a good footballer when fit and motivated but we can do so much better.
      UlstersNo1
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #1033: Mar 03, 2020 12:48:39 pm
      As much as I hate to say it, I think his time is up at Anfield. He's been given more than enough opportunities & unfortunately just cannot stay fit and capitalise on those opportunities. We cannot continue to keep hyping him up to be special for him to roll his ankle and be out for 6 weeks at a time  :-\
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1034: Mar 03, 2020 02:27:27 pm

Suppose will never know all about individuals make up , upbringing I've played enough sport to know there are different levels of pain and different abilities physically  and mentally to cope with them

Quick Reply