Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235230 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #1035: Mar 03, 2020 02:43:36 pm
      I get what you’re saying mate and it frustrates me as much as the next person however, to be brutally honest, Naby is expendable right now and we can afford for him to be missing these games. Fair enough it doesn’t show on a scan but I’d imagine if he is feeling pain he would need to make the medical staff aware of this and then the decision has been made that he will not take part to avoid any prolonged injury lay-off. He doesn’t strike me as the type of player that could play through an injury, more likely he would just make it worse.

I may be wrong on this and it could be Naby saying he doesn’t want to play but I just don’t see it.

Official site has a blurb now saying that Naby isn't available today but Klopp thinks he should be back ready for Bournemouth. Maybe doesn't answer this question we're discussing, but we might see him again at the weekend.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1036: Mar 03, 2020 02:44:01 pm
      I get what you’re saying mate and it frustrates me as much as the next person however, to be brutally honest, Naby is expendable right now and we can afford for him to be missing these games. Fair enough it doesn’t show on a scan but I’d imagine if he is feeling pain he would need to make the medical staff aware of this and then the decision has been made that he will not take part to avoid any prolonged injury lay-off. He doesn’t strike me as the type of player that could play through an injury, more likely he would just make it worse.

I may be wrong on this and it could be Naby saying he doesn’t want to play but I just don’t see it.

We can afford for him to be missing in these games but on the flipside there are a lot of other games coming up where we can't afford to play him. I wouldn't want him thrown in for the derby, Man City or a Champions League game - I think these are the games he really needs to be playing and proving himself in

Obviously only he knows how much pain he's really in but you'd expect someone in his situation to be chomping at the bit for a start tonight
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1037: Mar 03, 2020 10:38:37 pm
      Its days like today that really make me disappointed with Kieta. I dont know how hurt he is, but when you hear things like "sore hip" it really makes you wonder about the guy when you factor his track record. The sad thing is this kid would really make a difference in the form were in and the way teams are playing us. If we want to compete on all fronts than we may need to move on from Kieta and fill the squad with guys unlike Shaq and Naby
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1038: Mar 03, 2020 11:52:10 pm
      F**k he's made of the same material as Harry Kewell and Lallana!!!!
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #1039: Mar 04, 2020 01:26:41 pm
      Getting to the point now where if he doesn't step up to the plate soon (physically & performance-wise), we need to think about binning him off, as it's just been one false start after another thus far!
      Got slated for saying this in Nov....

Coming to the end of his second season and he's been a flop thus far.

Hopefully he can turn it round and get a run of games and form, but it seems the clock is ticking.  How much longer do we give him before cutting our losses?

Some players just aren't cut out for the PL & it's starting to look like Naby is in that bracket.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1040: Mar 06, 2020 12:46:51 pm
      RIP to his brother and the others who have died in the crash.

https://twitter.com/English_AS/status/1235903022456279040
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1041: Mar 06, 2020 12:49:34 pm

Jesus, heavy that.

RIP
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1042: Mar 06, 2020 01:19:07 pm
      Reports are now saying it was his cousin, not his brother, although it's still a tragic loss for Naby. From the Echo -

The Professional Football League of Guinea have confirmed nine players from the Etoile de Guinee side were killed in a bus crash.

Almamy Keita, who is the cousin of Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita, is among those to have died in the incident on Thursday.

The Reds star posted on his Instagram saying: "I am shocked, sad and heartbroken at this terrible news.

"I send my sincere condolences to all families of the victims, as well as the whole sporting family of Guinea.

"Rest in perfect peace guys."

A list of the nine players who died is as follows; Almamy Keita, Mohamed Lamine Toure, Kabinet Camara, Mohamed Damaro Camara, Ousmane Sylla, Ibrahima Sylla, Mohamed Lamine Camara, Serdouba Ginola Bangoura and Facinet Mara.

Late last night a statement from the Ligue Guineenne de Football Professionnel read: "The Ministry of Sports, Culture and Historic Heritage, the Guinean Football Football League and the Guinean League of Professional Football have the deep pain of announcing to the sports public in Guinea, Africa and elsewhere, the cruel loss following a traffic accident this on March 5, 2020, of nine members of the sports club Star of Guinea."

The crash happened outside the city of Mamou, 250 kilometres east of the capital Conakry where Etoile are based.

The team were on their way to play in the city of Kankan, a further 400km east of Mammou, in what was meant to be the first match of the league season.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-midfielder-naby-keitas-cousin-17876134
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1043: Mar 06, 2020 01:19:25 pm

Hopefully he can turn it round and get a run of games and form, but it seems the clock is ticking.  How much longer do we give him before cutting our losses?

Some players just aren't cut out for the PL & it's starting to look like Naby is in that bracket.

I don't think he's been a "flop", just had bad luck with injuries.

He was targeted and injured by Barca, then his national team played him (and trained him) before he was ready, which has lead to a recurring hip problem for him.

The lad's a player.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1044: Mar 06, 2020 01:52:03 pm
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1045: Mar 06, 2020 03:14:50 pm
      Wasnt his brother but Cousin who apparently may now have survived bad do either way
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1046: Mar 06, 2020 03:17:03 pm
      Wasnt his brother but Cousin who apparently may now have survived bad do either way

Sad anyway
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1047: Mar 06, 2020 05:14:25 pm

He’s not been a flop at all. His performances in general have been very good. He’s just had bad luck with injuries which is largely down to the injury from being wiped out by Rakitic and then the national team thinking more about themselves than the players actual condition.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1048: Mar 10, 2020 05:54:23 pm
      He’s not been a flop at all. His performances in general have been very good. He’s just had bad luck with injuries which is largely down to the injury from being wiped out by Rakitic and then the national team thinking more about themselves than the players actual condition.

Has he been a major player for us, yes or no?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1049: Mar 10, 2020 06:09:55 pm

Not being a major player so far doesn’t make him a flop does it.

That’s a strange thing to be posting, even by your standards.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1050: Mar 10, 2020 07:00:10 pm

Doesn’t make him a flop
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1051: Mar 10, 2020 11:56:21 pm
      Not being a major player so far doesn’t make him a flop does it.

That’s a strange thing to be posting, even by your standards.

Perhaps not a flop but he's certainly not been the player we thought we'd signed.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #1052: Mar 11, 2020 09:37:01 am
      He was signed for huge money, with a huge reputation & huge expectations.  We were told he would be a POTY candidate and would boss the midfield in the prem. 

Nearly 2 seasons done and pretty much everyone outside some Liverpool fans would certainly deem him a flop so far, I'm afraid!

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1053: Mar 11, 2020 12:50:45 pm
      He was signed for huge money, with a huge reputation & huge expectations.  We were told he would be a POTY candidate and would boss the midfield in the prem. 

Nearly 2 seasons done and pretty much everyone outside some Liverpool fans would certainly deem him a flop so far, I'm afraid!

I don't really give a F**k what those "outside" LFC fans think.

The fact is, when he's been fit and had a run of games he's been very good.

It's not his fault he got butchered by Barca (curious that they singled such a "flop" out for brutal treatment), then his national team played him before he was ready, which has led to him having a hip problem which keeps recurring.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1054: Mar 11, 2020 01:05:17 pm

You mean fans that go the game and support the players and have seen how good a player Naby can be?
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #1055: Mar 11, 2020 01:32:55 pm
      You mean fans that go the game and support the players and have seen how good a player Naby can be?
      No, the point I'm making is it's only "some" LFC fans still clinging on to him being a great asset.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1056: Mar 11, 2020 01:49:50 pm
      No, the point I'm making is it's only "some" LFC fans still clinging on to him being a great asset.

So proper fans supporting a player rather than behaving like the blueshite at Goodison?
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #1057: Mar 11, 2020 02:22:20 pm
      So proper fans supporting a player rather than behaving like the blueshite at Goodison?
      No, they boo their players & seem happy to see them fail; no-one is saying that about Naby, but it takes a certain kind of blind bias to suggest he's been a success compared to the expectations of him.

Quick Reply