Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 6th Dec @ 7:15 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of December and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W9 D8 L7

Naby Keita Player Thread

Read 101210 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #1050: Mar 06, 2020 05:14:25 pm
      Got slated for saying this in Nov....

Coming to the end of his second season and he's been a flop thus far.

Hopefully he can turn it round and get a run of games and form, but it seems the clock is ticking.  How much longer do we give him before cutting our losses?

Some players just aren't cut out for the PL & it's starting to look like Naby is in that bracket.

He’s not been a flop at all. His performances in general have been very good. He’s just had bad luck with injuries which is largely down to the injury from being wiped out by Rakitic and then the national team thinking more about themselves than the players actual condition.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,414 posts | 2542 
      Reply #1051: Mar 10, 2020 05:54:23 pm
      He’s not been a flop at all. His performances in general have been very good. He’s just had bad luck with injuries which is largely down to the injury from being wiped out by Rakitic and then the national team thinking more about themselves than the players actual condition.

Has he been a major player for us, yes or no?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      Reply #1052: Mar 10, 2020 06:09:55 pm

Not being a major player so far doesn’t make him a flop does it.

That’s a strange thing to be posting, even by your standards.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,641 posts | 732 
      Reply #1053: Mar 10, 2020 07:00:10 pm

Doesn’t make him a flop
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,414 posts | 2542 
      Reply #1054: Mar 10, 2020 11:56:21 pm
      Not being a major player so far doesn’t make him a flop does it.

That’s a strange thing to be posting, even by your standards.

Perhaps not a flop but he's certainly not been the player we thought we'd signed.
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 711 posts | 252 
      Reply #1055: Mar 11, 2020 09:37:01 am
      He was signed for huge money, with a huge reputation & huge expectations.  We were told he would be a POTY candidate and would boss the midfield in the prem. 

Nearly 2 seasons done and pretty much everyone outside some Liverpool fans would certainly deem him a flop so far, I'm afraid!

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,873 posts | 3101 
      Reply #1056: Mar 11, 2020 12:50:45 pm
      He was signed for huge money, with a huge reputation & huge expectations.  We were told he would be a POTY candidate and would boss the midfield in the prem. 

Nearly 2 seasons done and pretty much everyone outside some Liverpool fans would certainly deem him a flop so far, I'm afraid!

I don't really give a f**k what those "outside" LFC fans think.

The fact is, when he's been fit and had a run of games he's been very good.

It's not his fault he got butchered by Barca (curious that they singled such a "flop" out for brutal treatment), then his national team played him before he was ready, which has led to him having a hip problem which keeps recurring.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 31,500 posts | 4747 
      Reply #1057: Mar 11, 2020 01:05:17 pm

You mean fans that go the game and support the players and have seen how good a player Naby can be?
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 711 posts | 252 
      Reply #1058: Mar 11, 2020 01:32:55 pm
      You mean fans that go the game and support the players and have seen how good a player Naby can be?
      No, the point I'm making is it's only "some" LFC fans still clinging on to him being a great asset.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 31,500 posts | 4747 
      Reply #1059: Mar 11, 2020 01:49:50 pm
      No, the point I'm making is it's only "some" LFC fans still clinging on to him being a great asset.

So proper fans supporting a player rather than behaving like the blueshite at Goodison?
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 711 posts | 252 
      Reply #1060: Mar 11, 2020 02:22:20 pm
      So proper fans supporting a player rather than behaving like the blueshite at Goodison?
      No, they boo their players & seem happy to see them fail; no-one is saying that about Naby, but it takes a certain kind of blind bias to suggest he's been a success compared to the expectations of him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      Reply #1061: Mar 11, 2020 02:45:26 pm

Who gives a toss what “everyone outside” thinks?! Besides you that is.

but it takes a certain kind of blind bias to suggest he's been a success compared to the expectations of him.

No it doesn’t. Saying he’s not been a flop isn’t blind bias at all and saying he’s been a massive success.
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 711 posts | 252 
      Reply #1062: Mar 11, 2020 04:56:11 pm
      Who gives a toss what “everyone outside” thinks?! Besides you that is.

No it doesn’t. Saying he’s not been a flop isn’t blind bias at all and saying he’s been a massive success.
      I don't care what "everyone outside" thinks!  The point is others outside this club would acknowledge the quality of Salah, Mane, Firmino, VVD, Trent, Robbo, etc.  I.e. widely acknowledged as being good.

Only some Liverpool fans would deem Naby a success the past 2 seasons in any shape or form.

Has he been more of a "flop" or a success, in your opinion?
      Kopite78
      Reply #1063: Mar 11, 2020 05:01:50 pm
      I don't care what "everyone outside" thinks!  The point is others outside this club would acknowledge the quality of Salah, Mane, Firmino, VVD, Trent, Robbo, etc.  I.e. widely acknowledged as being good.

Only some Liverpool fans would deem Naby a success the past 2 seasons in any shape or form.

Has he been more of a "flop" or a success, in your opinion?

Why does it have to be in the extreme one way or the other?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,873 posts | 3101 
      Reply #1064: Mar 11, 2020 06:23:45 pm
      Why does it have to be in the extreme one way or the other?

and there's the problem.

Anyone who has watched, followed, or been involved in football to the extent of thinking past media bullshit rarely makes these things a binary issue.

A simple look at Keita's games for us when he was injury free, shows him to be an excellent player.
      Equally, a quick look at the injuries he's had shows he can't be called a "flop", but because of those injuries, he can't really be called a success as yet either.

Once again, a poster ignores context and tries to frame an argument in a binary way that is pretty nonsensical.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,389 posts | 4330 
      Reply #1065: Mar 11, 2020 06:31:01 pm
      he is a top quality player who has sadly been subject to some injuries that have prevented him finding a regular place in the team.
      He is still quality and he is our player and the season is still alive and plenty of games left for him to make his mark.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,414 posts | 2542 
      Reply #1066: Mar 11, 2020 06:32:49 pm
      he is a top quality player who has sadly been subject to some injuries that have prevented him finding a regular place in the team.
      He is still quality and he is our player and the season is still alive and plenty of games left for him to make his mark.

He's not top quality until he delivers consistently on the pitch.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,389 posts | 4330 
      Reply #1067: Mar 11, 2020 06:43:38 pm

your world isn't the real world we don't by anything less than quality . Seen enough of him to know he can make a real difference when it all clicks. Stay fit and he will be a great asset for Jürgen to have
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      Reply #1068: Mar 11, 2020 06:48:55 pm

His performances are consistent, it’s his time on the pitch that isn’t. Takes nothing away from his quality.
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 711 posts | 252 
      Reply #1069: Mar 12, 2020 08:53:23 am
      and there's the problem.

Anyone who has watched, followed, or been involved in football to the extent of thinking past media bullshit rarely makes these things a binary issue.

A simple look at Keita's games for us when he was injury free, shows him to be an excellent player.
      Equally, a quick look at the injuries he's had shows he can't be called a "flop", but because of those injuries, he can't really be called a success as yet either.

Once again, a poster ignores context and tries to frame an argument in a binary way that is pretty nonsensical.
      Lol - the most arrogant poster on here is off again!  I've never heard/read the media say anything about Keita in terms of his impact, probably because he's hardly played, so you're wrong with that assertion!

What context have I ignored?  My context is, he was signed for big money, with a huge reputation and many on here saying what a monster of a player he is going to be.  Well, he hasn't been!

Citing Barcelona targeting him because he's so good is laughable; more likely they targeted him as he seems to be made of glass.

He's been injured countless times, so the question has to be asked, is he strong enough physically to play week-in, week-out in the prem.  The evidence, thus far, points to the contrary.

As you are firmly in the camp of "Klopp knows best, so you can't criticise anything red" in a bid to be a "top-red", no-one can challenge the manager, any player, any performance as that makes us not a "top-red".

On a scale of 1 to 10 (non-binary), 1 being very poor, 10 being phenomenal, how would you rate Keita's impact in his 2 seasons?
      Kopite78
      Reply #1070: Mar 12, 2020 09:16:54 am
      Lol - the most arrogant poster on here is off again!  I've never heard/read the media say anything about Keita in terms of his impact, probably because he's hardly played, so you're wrong with that assertion!

What context have I ignored?  My context is, he was signed for big money, with a huge reputation and many on here saying what a monster of a player he is going to be.  Well, he hasn't been!

Citing Barcelona targeting him because he's so good is laughable; more likely they targeted him as he seems to be made of glass.

He's been injured countless times, so the question has to be asked, is he strong enough physically to play week-in, week-out in the prem.  The evidence, thus far, points to the contrary.

As you are firmly in the camp of "Klopp knows best, so you can't criticise anything red" in a bid to be a "top-red", no-one can challenge the manager, any player, any performance as that makes us not a "top-red".

On a scale of 1 to 10 (non-binary), 1 being very poor, 10 being phenomenal, how would you rate Keita's impact in his 2 seasons?

So neither sh*te or world class as we have stated

skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 711 posts | 252 
      Reply #1071: Mar 12, 2020 09:19:25 am

So neither sh*te or world class as we have stated
      Against an expectation of what.....8......8.5?
      Kopite78
      Reply #1072: Mar 12, 2020 09:22:16 am
      Against an expectation of what.....8......8.5?

Who's expectation? Yours? Cause I dont have a scale of expectation on any player we sign, I judge after ive seen them, so maybe that's where your issue is, you build things up and then they dont live up to those expectations

Christmas must have been sh*te as a kid
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,414 posts | 2542 
      Reply #1073: Mar 12, 2020 09:43:22 am
      His performances are consistent, it’s his time on the pitch that isn’t. Takes nothing away from his quality.

Oh come on, he's had plenty of average performances as well but normally as soon as he finds some form he's bloody injured again, that's not just down to bad luck, that's a player who is injury prone, like Sturridge, Lallana etc.  Those kind of players are simply not good enough, they don't provide enough on a regular basis to justify their wages.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,414 posts | 2542 
      Reply #1074: Mar 12, 2020 09:46:06 am
      Who's expectation? Yours? Cause I dont have a scale of expectation on any player we sign, I judge after ive seen them, so maybe that's where your issue is, you build things up and then they dont live up to those expectations

Christmas must have been sh*te as a kid

So you expected Keita to be injured more often than fit, how odd! 

Bottom line he is a good player but he's to injury prone, so we need to get rid, find a player who can actually play in the majority of games.

Quick Reply