Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235204 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #1058: Mar 11, 2020 02:45:26 pm
      He was signed for huge money, with a huge reputation & huge expectations.  We were told he would be a POTY candidate and would boss the midfield in the prem. 

Nearly 2 seasons done and pretty much everyone outside some Liverpool fans would certainly deem him a flop so far, I'm afraid!

Who gives a toss what ā€œeveryone outsideā€ thinks?! Besides you that is.

but it takes a certain kind of blind bias to suggest he's been a success compared to the expectations of him.

No it doesnā€™t. Saying heā€™s not been a flop isnā€™t blind bias at all and saying heā€™s been a massive success.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #1059: Mar 11, 2020 04:56:11 pm
      Who gives a toss what ā€œeveryone outsideā€ thinks?! Besides you that is.

No it doesnā€™t. Saying heā€™s not been a flop isnā€™t blind bias at all and saying heā€™s been a massive success.
      I don't care what "everyone outside" thinks!  The point is others outside this club would acknowledge the quality of Salah, Mane, Firmino, VVD, Trent, Robbo, etc.  I.e. widely acknowledged as being good.

Only some Liverpool fans would deem Naby a success the past 2 seasons in any shape or form.

Has he been more of a "flop" or a success, in your opinion?
      Kopite78
      Reply #1060: Mar 11, 2020 05:01:50 pm
      I don't care what "everyone outside" thinks!  The point is others outside this club would acknowledge the quality of Salah, Mane, Firmino, VVD, Trent, Robbo, etc.  I.e. widely acknowledged as being good.

Only some Liverpool fans would deem Naby a success the past 2 seasons in any shape or form.

Has he been more of a "flop" or a success, in your opinion?

Why does it have to be in the extreme one way or the other?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1061: Mar 11, 2020 06:23:45 pm
      Why does it have to be in the extreme one way or the other?

and there's the problem.

Anyone who has watched, followed, or been involved in football to the extent of thinking past media bullshit rarely makes these things a binary issue.

A simple look at Keita's games for us when he was injury free, shows him to be an excellent player.
      Equally, a quick look at the injuries he's had shows he can't be called a "flop", but because of those injuries, he can't really be called a success as yet either.

Once again, a poster ignores context and tries to frame an argument in a binary way that is pretty nonsensical.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1062: Mar 11, 2020 06:31:01 pm
      he is a top quality player who has sadly been subject to some injuries that have prevented him finding a regular place in the team.
      He is still quality and he is our player and the season is still alive and plenty of games left for him to make his mark.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1063: Mar 11, 2020 06:32:49 pm
      he is a top quality player who has sadly been subject to some injuries that have prevented him finding a regular place in the team.
      He is still quality and he is our player and the season is still alive and plenty of games left for him to make his mark.

He's not top quality until he delivers consistently on the pitch.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1064: Mar 11, 2020 06:43:38 pm

your world isn't the real world we don't by anything less than quality . Seen enough of him to know he can make a real difference when it all clicks. Stay fit and he will be a great asset for JĆ¼rgen to have
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1065: Mar 11, 2020 06:48:55 pm

His performances are consistent, itā€™s his time on the pitch that isnā€™t. Takes nothing away from his quality.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #1066: Mar 12, 2020 08:53:23 am
      and there's the problem.

Anyone who has watched, followed, or been involved in football to the extent of thinking past media bullshit rarely makes these things a binary issue.

A simple look at Keita's games for us when he was injury free, shows him to be an excellent player.
      Equally, a quick look at the injuries he's had shows he can't be called a "flop", but because of those injuries, he can't really be called a success as yet either.

Once again, a poster ignores context and tries to frame an argument in a binary way that is pretty nonsensical.
      ;D - the most arrogant poster on here is off again!  I've never heard/read the media say anything about Keita in terms of his impact, probably because he's hardly played, so you're wrong with that assertion!

What context have I ignored?  My context is, he was signed for big money, with a huge reputation and many on here saying what a monster of a player he is going to be.  Well, he hasn't been!

Citing Barcelona targeting him because he's so good is laughable; more likely they targeted him as he seems to be made of glass.

He's been injured countless times, so the question has to be asked, is he strong enough physically to play week-in, week-out in the prem.  The evidence, thus far, points to the contrary.

As you are firmly in the camp of "Klopp knows best, so you can't criticise anything red" in a bid to be a "top-red", no-one can challenge the manager, any player, any performance as that makes us not a "top-red".

On a scale of 1 to 10 (non-binary), 1 being very poor, 10 being phenomenal, how would you rate Keita's impact in his 2 seasons?
      Kopite78
      Reply #1067: Mar 12, 2020 09:16:54 am
      ;D - the most arrogant poster on here is off again!  I've never heard/read the media say anything about Keita in terms of his impact, probably because he's hardly played, so you're wrong with that assertion!

What context have I ignored?  My context is, he was signed for big money, with a huge reputation and many on here saying what a monster of a player he is going to be.  Well, he hasn't been!

Citing Barcelona targeting him because he's so good is laughable; more likely they targeted him as he seems to be made of glass.

He's been injured countless times, so the question has to be asked, is he strong enough physically to play week-in, week-out in the prem.  The evidence, thus far, points to the contrary.

As you are firmly in the camp of "Klopp knows best, so you can't criticise anything red" in a bid to be a "top-red", no-one can challenge the manager, any player, any performance as that makes us not a "top-red".

On a scale of 1 to 10 (non-binary), 1 being very poor, 10 being phenomenal, how would you rate Keita's impact in his 2 seasons?

So neither sh*te or world class as we have stated

skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #1068: Mar 12, 2020 09:19:25 am

So neither sh*te or world class as we have stated
      Against an expectation of what.....8......8.5?
      Kopite78
      Reply #1069: Mar 12, 2020 09:22:16 am
      Against an expectation of what.....8......8.5?

Who's expectation? Yours? Cause I dont have a scale of expectation on any player we sign, I judge after ive seen them, so maybe that's where your issue is, you build things up and then they dont live up to those expectations

Christmas must have been sh*te as a kid
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1070: Mar 12, 2020 09:43:22 am
      His performances are consistent, itā€™s his time on the pitch that isnā€™t. Takes nothing away from his quality.

Oh come on, he's had plenty of average performances as well but normally as soon as he finds some form he's bloody injured again, that's not just down to bad luck, that's a player who is injury prone, like Sturridge, Lallana etc.  Those kind of players are simply not good enough, they don't provide enough on a regular basis to justify their wages.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1071: Mar 12, 2020 09:46:06 am
      Who's expectation? Yours? Cause I dont have a scale of expectation on any player we sign, I judge after ive seen them, so maybe that's where your issue is, you build things up and then they dont live up to those expectations

So you expected Keita to be injured more often than fit, how odd! 

Bottom line he is a good player but he's to injury prone, so we need to get rid, find a player who can actually play in the majority of games.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1072: Mar 12, 2020 09:55:17 am
      So you expected Keita to be injured more often than fit, how odd! 

Bottom line he is a good player but he's to injury prone, so we need to get rid, find a player who can actually play in the majority of games.

Where did I say that? Dickhead

I remember Stevie having loads of injuries the first two or three years as a regular

Should have fu**ed him off too eh
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1073: Mar 12, 2020 09:58:40 am
      Where did I say that? Dickhead

I remember Stevie having loads of injuries the first two or three years as a regular

Should have fu**ed him off too eh

So now you expect Keita to be much less injured in his 3rd season? Stevie G had some injury issues in his early years but he grew out of them , plus he wasn't signed as a senior player was he?
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #1074: Mar 12, 2020 10:40:12 am

And you've never been disappointed as you wouldn't criticise anything, no matter how poor.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1075: Mar 12, 2020 10:58:39 am
      And you've never been disappointed as you wouldn't criticise anything, no matter how poor.

Not sure what you're on about now

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1076: Jun 21, 2020 09:43:44 pm
      By far the best player on the pitch before he was subbed today.

Very encouraging performance by Naby.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1077: Jun 21, 2020 10:24:17 pm
      I was impressed with him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1078: Jun 21, 2020 11:03:45 pm

Same, it was noticeable when he went off. Must start vs Palace.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1079: Jun 22, 2020 08:51:01 am
      Same, it was noticeable when he went off. Must start vs Palace.

If I see Gini starting ahead of him I'll be bloody annoyed, Gini was dreadful when he came on yesterday
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1080: Jun 22, 2020 09:33:29 am
      If I see Gini starting ahead of him I'll be bloody annoyed, Gini was dreadful when he came on yesterday

If Naby stays fit in this form he will be first choice for sure.

But staying fit is a big IF.

Quick Reply