Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235393 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #1242: Apr 09, 2021 02:48:31 am
      Reading reports Leicester in for him??

Bet he goes there and never gets injured!!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1243: Apr 24, 2021 04:27:30 pm
      Admittedly it was a turgid performance against Madrid but Gini has been putting in those sort of performances since the turn of the year and even gets the arm band 🤣
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1244: Apr 25, 2021 07:07:27 pm
      Reading reports Leicester in for him??

Bet he goes there and never gets injured!!!

If he does, good luck to them - but I'd take 30mill for him now in a heartbeat.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1245: Apr 25, 2021 07:26:49 pm
      Absolutely sell, if we can get £30m that will be good business considering he’s been an absolute disaster signing
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #1246: Apr 26, 2021 04:03:52 am
      Absolutely sell, if we can get £30m that will be good business considering he’s been an absolute disaster signing
      Considering we paid 52, I'd be happy if we can get half of that amount.

As much as some might be having PTSD because of what this signing turned into I would still argue the best way to reinvest that money is to buy somebody similar to Keita because the initial idea of what he was supposed to bring to this team is the good one + for the small stretches he managed to stay healthy and play into form he was very good and brought a whole other dimension to our midfield that I would argue only Ox was able to replicate 3 or 4 times during his time with us (ironically Ox spent most of his time with us injured).

My dream replacement (unrealistic too) would be Milinkovic-Savic. Rarely do you get a player with this combination of traits and talents. The guy is a tank and will bulldoze his way through a midfield but he also happens to be very agile for his size and has the footwork to work in close quarters (close to the opposition's box). Good range of passes and can finish a few. Rocket of a right and left foot. And he is like 6'2'' or 6'3''. Obviously, considering his price I don't think its a realistic replacement but one can hope. We paid 50M for Fabinho, maybe Mr. Edwards can work his magic and get us a similar deal and send Origi the other way around (okay I'll stop dreaming especially considering it wouldn't solve the wage part of the issue and it would mean Thiago or Henderson becoming regular benchers). 

The problem is that the type of player Naby is...there's not a ton of names in that department. Zielinsky maybe, Neuhaus looks pretty good, Sabitzer I wouldn't even look at (not super similar and a pretty bad injury record + my Naby/Leipzig PTSD kicks in), maybe there's a few guys in Laliga but I don't like this league and feel (maybe wrongly so) that players coming from that league to the PL have more chances of failing than say somebody coming from the Bundesliga or France. All in all, its not a common style of midfielders and you'll pay big money for trying but I feel like the idea behind Naby's transfer was the good one and still is valid today. A shame we never got the chance to see it materialize.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #1247: Apr 27, 2021 11:44:53 am
      This guy's still here?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1248: Apr 27, 2021 08:05:35 pm
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1249: Apr 27, 2021 08:13:25 pm

Where do you expect him to go 🤷‍♂️
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1250: Apr 27, 2021 11:33:22 pm
      I think he’s been written off by Juergen and we will struggle to find a buyer with his injury record. Could see out the rest of his contract jumping from loan to loan.

It could have been all very different for him and us.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1251: Apr 27, 2021 11:54:53 pm
      I think he’s been written off by Juergen and we will struggle to find a buyer with his injury record. Could see out the rest of his contract jumping from loan to loan.

It could have been all very different for him and us.

Just never really know what you're going to get signing new players do you?

He looked like a world beater for Leipzig and seemed fine physically. Arrives here and is an immediate crock barely played in his three seasons so far.

We have a bit of a track record with these over the years, Aquilani, Kewell, Cole, Sturridge, Carroll, Matip, Shaqiri. We always seem to carry our share of crocks every season, and it feels like we do more than other clubs.

We need to make sure our next signings have no fitness issues. Which is why I'm a bit unsure about Konate as good a player as he is.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1193 
      Reply #1252: Apr 28, 2021 12:14:11 am
      Keep telling myself he’s still young,  not to forget how good he was at Leipzig etc. and of the glimpses of class we’ve seen from him. I was massively in favour of us signing him at the beginning but there comes a point where you have to break out and ensconce yourself in the team or you move on.

Injuries have largely prevented him but too often he hasn’t made enough of an impression either and my feeling is he may get one last chance next season if he’s lucky. As much as anything else I think this will be the result of the amount we spent on him and the impact of the pandemic on finances of other clubs.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #1253: May 02, 2021 08:35:41 pm
      Missing from the squad again today?

I think I saw only 8 subs instead of 9?

Bet he had some sort of last minute mishap in the team hotel. Got himself trapped inside the Corby trouser press in his room.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #1254: May 04, 2021 06:02:03 pm
      Naby Keita’s agent (@MalickKebe8):

“The day that Coach Klopp gets Naby Keita to play in his favorite role, you see what he will bring to Liverpool. He is a playmaker, not a scavenger.”

😳 https://t.co/sB8PJCOVgI
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1255: May 04, 2021 06:32:41 pm

“The day that Coach Klopp gets Naby Keita to play in his favorite role, you see what he will bring to Liverpool. He is a playmaker, not a scavenger.”

That's an interesting take. But before he can be a playmaker he needs to be stay fit!
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #1256: May 04, 2021 07:02:13 pm

Forget "playmaker" and just "play" first you waste of £50m
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #1257: May 04, 2021 07:12:23 pm
      That's an interesting take. But before he can be a playmaker he needs to be stay fit!

Yep going to struggle if not fit not sure on his Leipzig position whether given more free reign but that ain't going to work in our system really
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1258: May 04, 2021 08:20:38 pm
      Not a good take when an agent suddenly think's they're a managerial genius.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #1259: May 04, 2021 10:26:36 pm
      not to forget how good he was at Leipzig

Was he though

He's the sort of previously unheard of foreign player that used to get signed after having a good World Cup back in the day

I remember youtubing Keita's highlights reel from that season he was supposed to be a cross between Steven Gerrard and N'Golo Kanté

I remember being very underwhelmed and saying to me arl fella how little you get these days for £50m

Shots the keeper should have got to, lucky bobbles, shinned goals, goals from so close in that even Ronnie Rosenthal couldn't have missed

Truth is he was never as good as he was cracked up to be - nor is the Bundesliga - and all the people who massively overrated him will now always be able to claim that it was his injuries that stopped him being the greatest player the world had ever seen blah blah

3 years and not a single MOTM award in my little black book, his goal against Chelsea last season the one single highlight of his LFC career and even that was when the pressure was off cos his teammates had put in 6 months of back-to-back superhuman performances

He's taken LFC for an incredible amount of wages for zero return on the pitch considering his agent claims he's not a scavenger

Time to go be a playmaker somewhere else please

Just hope his agent kept a copy of Keita's Leipzig videos, so he's got something to show a prospective buyer
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1260: May 04, 2021 10:52:18 pm
      Was he though

He's the sort of previously unheard of foreign player that used to get signed after having a good World Cup back in the day

I remember youtubing Keita's highlights reel from that season he was supposed to be a cross between Steven Gerrard and N'Golo Kanté

I remember being very underwhelmed and saying to me arl fella how little you get these days for £50m

Shots the keeper should have got to, lucky bobbles, shinned goals, goals from so close in that even Ronnie Rosenthal couldn't have missed

Truth is he was never as good as he was cracked up to be - nor is the Bundesliga - and all the people who massively overrated him will now always be able to claim that it was his injuries that stopped him being the greatest player the world had ever seen blah blah

3 years and not a single MOTM award in my little black book, his goal against Chelsea last season the one single highlight of his LFC career and even that was when the pressure was off cos his teammates had put in 6 months of back-to-back superhuman performances

He's taken LFC for an incredible amount of wages for zero return on the pitch considering his agent claims he's not a scavenger

Just hope his agent kept a copy of Keita's Leipzig videos, so he's got something to show a prospective buyer

F**k me. What a load of sh*te this is.

Naby Keita, because of his price tag, will down as one of our worst ever signings admittedly. The third most expensive signing in our history and he’s barely played. It’s been a shocker of a signing in truth.

But, just because you weren’t impressed from a 90 second YouTube clip you watched with your dad doesn’t mean he’s a sh*te player. Far from it.

I watched him closely for several months before joining us and he is a top player. ‘His injuries and bla bla’ have clearly had an impact on him and he has never been able to put a run of games together. He’s not the first player to struggle under klopps intense regime and he won’t be the last either.

As for his agent calling him a playmaker, thats just a load of sh*te too. He is a box to box midfielder and doesn’t have the feet (and probably football brain too) to play in that role. A playmaker is somebody like David silva and that is something keita is definitely not.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1193 
      Reply #1261: May 04, 2021 11:32:52 pm
      Was he though

Yeah it’s all opinions at the end of the day. I saw him a couple of times for Leipzig and was fairly impressed with his range of play. Did anybody other than perhaps the scouts watch all of his games? I think he must have done quite well at Leipzig to end up in the team of the season awards and for Klopp to be quite so determined to bring him to the club. Salif Diao he ain’t.

I think there is definitely a player in there but between injuries and bottle it hasn’t worked out and that relative to the fee you’d therefore have to say it has been a very poor return for the outlay and, equally as important, the opportunity cost —this being magnified even more by our current predicament.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #1262: May 05, 2021 02:04:06 pm
      I watched him closely for several months before joining us and he is a top player.

There is an obvious problem with that statement.

He isn't.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1263: May 05, 2021 07:10:20 pm

He isn't.

Or he hasn't played enough first team football to form an opinion!
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #1264: May 05, 2021 07:53:07 pm

He isn't.

He isn't a top footballer ? Are we still pissed off with Naby for Madrid game or that he is always injured maybe . As far as I can remember the games he has played he has generally been quite good in most games and steady away can count the amount of shockers he has had on one hand

Quick Reply