Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235353 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #1311: Jun 04, 2021 10:50:23 am
      Agree and two players who have a lot of great attributes as well.

Maybe Jürgen is willing to take a gamble on both of them but it's a risky strategy and if rather we signed at least one CM to replace Gini.

I’m willing to give Keita a chance, he could be perfect as part of the midfield 3 if he can stay fit - but he can’t! It’s so frustrating

Wijnaldum’s injury record is exemplary (like Kuyt), these players are worth every penny and more.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1312: Jun 04, 2021 10:55:23 am
      I’m willing to give Keita a chance, he could be perfect as part of the midfield 3 if he can stay fit - but he can’t! It’s so frustrating

Wijnaldum’s injury record is exemplary (like Kuyt), these players are worth every penny and more.

It's one of the biggest reasons we will miss Gini so much.

Reliability is a very underrated quality.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #1313: Jun 04, 2021 01:48:00 pm
      Does he ever even play with a niggle, seems to have a low pain threshold.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1314: Jun 05, 2021 12:37:20 am
      I agree, it’s so sad that we’re pining for a new midfielder when we have 2 players worth nearly £100m between them and they can’t stay fit.

It’s an absolute joke if you think about it

Spot on mate.

That's it, we don't need to spend the money in that position, but we probably have too because we can't even expect them to play 20 games a season each, when we need someone in there for roughly 60 games. (winning Number 7)  :angel:
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1315: Jun 05, 2021 02:34:26 am
      Unless Milner leaves we don’t need any new midfielders yet.

Fab-Thiago-Hendo are the starting 3 and would have Jones and Milner as rotating options then add Keita and Ox when available and we have plenty of numbers in the middle. That’s 7 players for 3 positions. More than enough.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1316: Jun 05, 2021 09:49:04 am
      Unless Milner leaves we don’t need any new midfielders yet.

Fab-Thiago-Hendo are the starting 3 and would have Jones and Milner as rotating options then add Keita and Ox when available and we have plenty of numbers in the middle. That’s 7 players for 3 positions. More than enough.

Keita and Ox can’t be relied upon, could include Henderson as well with his injury record.

Milner unfortunately is too old apart from the odd game.

So we need at least 1 new midfielder, we should go all out for Raphinha imo perfect Klopp player with a huge engine.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1317: Jun 05, 2021 12:35:56 pm
      selling is fine but who replaces them. These days I am relaxed about transfers as Jürgen can spot a player and Naby needs a bit of luck with his fitness

Sadly hes never fit, so its not like he will be missed that much.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1318: Jun 28, 2021 05:00:16 am
      A great box to box when healthy. He could really help us out, just gotta figure out a way to stay fit. We need him now more than ever. Here's hoping 🙏
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #1319: Jun 28, 2021 02:56:35 pm
      As fans we have a tendency to hold on to players, who we've taken to, for too long.

He seems a nice lad and when fit can be a real box to box. We have him the 8 and I think some of us rested our hopes on him being our next 8. Truth is he's never fit and needs to go. I think his record is worse than Sturridge and we know how Klopp felt about him
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1320: Jul 15, 2021 04:13:03 am
      Literally just waiting to see a report that he's pulled something. I would love to see what this kid could do if he actually had 6 months of good fortune. Here's to hoping, I guess
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1321: Jul 15, 2021 01:47:47 pm
      Literally just waiting to see a report that he's pulled something. I would love to see what this kid could do if he actually had 6 months of good fortune. Here's to hoping, I guess

He hasn't been the same since he got scissored against Barca, who targeted him immediately.
      Now, to me, it says a lot about a player that a team like Barca were so worried anout about him that they tried to take him out of the game (and succeeded).
      Then his National team played him too early, with the result he got injured again.
      It seems to be a lot of niggling injuries rather than one big one.

There's a player there, and a fine one at that, but yeah, his fitness is a major worry.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1322: Jul 15, 2021 06:44:54 pm

There's a player there, and a fine one at that, but yeah, his fitness is a major worry.
      [/quote]

The is a player there, but will we ever see it
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #1323: Jul 27, 2021 06:03:56 pm
      Adding my post to the correct thread...

As well as AFCON this year that's two of the three gone as well as Keita, if he even makes it to January fit, so we'll have them missing which is even more worrying.

I'm really surprised at people pinning hopes on Keita staying fit. We get linked with players who have a bad injury record and people are quick to  highlight how many games they've played and how "I wouldn't go near him with that record" etc. That player's probably played more games than Keita over a three year period yet people are still putting their hopes on this guy and will be happy to enter our season with him replacing a guy that played untold games per season for us.

Since Naby has been with us he's played 58 games. Most of Nabi's appearences have been from the bench.

In that time Gini played 110 games. Most of Gini's games have been as a starter.

It's absolute insanity to think a guy with Nabi's numbers can replace a guy with Gini's numbers. Everyone that's happy to see Shaqiri go because of his injury record need to check stats .Keita has played 13 more games than Shaq. That's 4.3 more games per season than the guy you're happy to see go because of his injury record.

Last year Nabi played ten games for us. The year before he played eighteen.

People are actually suggesting we rely on a guy that's played twenty eight games in two seasons for us? Shocking.

I feel like people are placing their hopes on Nabi as a defense mechanism to fsg not doing what they're meant to and signing a replacement. I don't want to get in to an fsg debate I just needed to make that point.

It's like letting salah go and relying on Shaqiri as his replacement.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1324: Jul 27, 2021 06:33:13 pm
      Been looking good in the training sessions. If he gets a whole pre-season under his belt with no serious setbacks, I'd say he might be a welcome surprise this season.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1325: Jul 27, 2021 06:35:45 pm
      No idea why you think Ketia is a 1:1 replacement for Gini because he's not and to my knowledge NO ONE from the team (from Klopp, to Pep to anyone in management) has said "we expect Naby will replace Gini's minutes".

Keita's struggles with fitness are well known, but games played isn't necessarily the best measurement because often times someone can be on the bench and never make it into the game. Would rather see how many games he was AVAILABLE to play.

We play with 3 midfielders and currently have 7 on the team (Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones) which is enough IMO. It is pretty clear Fab, Hendo and Thiago will be the regular starters and we also know Klopp is not the most active when it comes to rotation. Gini's departure hopefully means Jones gets more minutes as main rotation player and the other 3 should be able to handle the minutes needed during the season.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #1326: Jul 28, 2021 02:58:46 am
      No idea why you think Ketia is a 1:1 replacement for Gini because he's not and to my knowledge NO ONE from the team (from Klopp, to Pep to anyone in management) has said "we expect Naby will replace Gini's minutes".

Keita's struggles with fitness are well known, but games played isn't necessarily the best measurement because often times someone can be on the bench and never make it into the game. Would rather see how many games he was AVAILABLE to play.

We play with 3 midfielders and currently have 7 on the team (Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones) which is enough IMO. It is pretty clear Fab, Hendo and Thiago will be the regular starters and we also know Klopp is not the most active when it comes to rotation. Gini's departure hopefully means Jones gets more minutes as main rotation player and the other 3 should be able to handle the minutes needed during the season.

So we don't replace Gini and stick with what we've got.

An injury prone Keita and Ox.

A 35 year old Milner.

Jones as the backup to Thiago/Hendo.

I'm done stressing my point to people about Keita and Ox. People will hope on whatever they like to make them feel better. I'm extremely  confident there will come a time this season when Keita, Ox, Thiago and Hendo are out injured at the same time. That's the biggest injury prone midfield in the top 6.

We'll have a midfied of Fab, Jones and Milner and we'll be creating jack sh*t. The excuse will be "we didn't envision this many injuries".

Just like the fsg thing I'm done with this.

Keita, Ox and Thiago have played 176 games in three years between them.

Gini played 110.

Three guys only played 66 more games. That's who we're relying on to replace Gini. Make no mistake it's replacing.

It'll be utter stupidity if we rely on Keita and Ox. I don't think for one minute that Klopp wants to rely on those but his hand will be forced once again should he have to.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1327: Jul 28, 2021 12:10:26 pm
      Really is make or break for Naby here.

Managed to stay fit and we've got a real player on our hands and the need for another CM isn't as urgent.

I'd still want another no matter what but could be they want to give Naby his opportunity
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1328: Jul 28, 2021 12:47:03 pm

Managed to stay fit and we've got a real player on our hands and the need for another CM isn't as urgent.

I'd still want another no matter what but could be they want to give Naby his opportunity

Didn't our physio team spend most of last season trying to resolve Naby's persistent muscle injuries using some specially tailored training and recovery regime?

Will be interesting to see if this has worked. If not then either Naby or the physios need to go.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1329: Jul 28, 2021 12:55:12 pm

I think it’s a fair shout for both Naby and Ox

They are clearly talented players that the manager appears to really like

If they could both stay fit they add that crucial attacking element to the midfield
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1330: Jul 28, 2021 12:59:50 pm

It all stemmed from Barca targetting him, then his country pushing him to play before he was ready.
      He hasn't been the same since.

Let's not forget though, that players can overcome these persistent problems (as Gerrard did).

We all know (or should do) that he's a cracking player.

Having said that, I'd like to see someone come in.
      Maybe an older player on rolling contract who can do a job for us, or a younger player who can push our starters (like Jota did with the front 3).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1331: Jul 31, 2021 12:34:27 am

Spot on. Could be an absolute ripper if he can keep his sh*t together. Just has to stay fit for the majority of the season. No long blocks out due to injury.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1332: Jul 31, 2021 02:35:30 am
      I saw this pop to the top of my feed and I just assumed he’d been injured. Says a lot really. Fingers crossed.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1333: Aug 15, 2021 11:49:19 pm
      Naby lad.

Seen a lot of criticism about his last performance. But I think Klopps smile when he came off said it all.

He had a job to do, win back possession, press high and keep us ticking and he did all of that. He is not going to go on crazy runs every game but if he plays with that level of consistency across the year I think we will have a very happy manager.

Remember Gini was in the team to do a job and it wasn't always appreciated as it wasn't always eye catching stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if we get the same with Naby.

Quick Reply