Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread (M)

Read 167805 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread
      Reply #138: Sep 22, 2017 10:55:42 am
      Klopp likes him and I trust his judgement over ours, even after the other day. Salah is already our number one goal scorer. Robo looks like he will be first team LB soon. Klopp knows his system and knows players, and so far they are doing fairly well at their new home. The Ox sucked something awful the other day, but lets give him time. I want to see him in the central mid field role.

Do you trust Klopp's judgement on defending and defenders more than ours as well? ;-)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #139: Sep 22, 2017 11:20:21 am
      I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think he's a fine player who by the end of THIS season will look like a great buy and one of our best players.

Future captain to hey Mick.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #140: Sep 22, 2017 11:21:59 am

Fucks sake Belly - one captain's thread is enough surely! ;)

That never did work out for big Dejan mind, did it.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #141: Sep 22, 2017 11:51:35 am

Never quite turned out to be mustard did he.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #142: Sep 22, 2017 11:59:55 am

Haha you never know mate. F***** Dejan ruined my street creed tho didn't he  :mad: :lmao:.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #143: Sep 22, 2017 12:12:41 pm

Still time for dejan
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #144: Sep 22, 2017 12:13:20 pm

Thanks mate, you're very kind ;D.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #145: Sep 22, 2017 12:23:13 pm

True - signed a long contract too.

With all the testimonials and friendlies he's bound to get the armband at some point, even for 20 minutes, right?  :f_tongueincheek:
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #146: Sep 22, 2017 12:26:12 pm
      Do you trust Klopp's judgement on defending and defenders more than ours as well? ;-)

It was only a matter of time before this comment reared its ugly head haha.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #147: Sep 22, 2017 12:40:58 pm
      True - signed a long contract too.

With all the testimonials and friendlies he's bound to get the armband at some point, even for 20 minutes, right?  :f_tongueincheek:

You can be sure mate that if it happens, I'll be on here like a shot!  :lmao:

Kopite78
      Reply #148: Sep 22, 2017 02:10:53 pm
      Way to support a new signing lads

I think he will be fine for what it's worth. People slagged off Gini at the  same point of last season  and he ended up doing a good job for the team.
      I think by the time the season is out people will think of Chamberlain the same way
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #149: Sep 22, 2017 02:15:52 pm
      Klopp likes him and I trust his judgement over ours, even after the other day. Salah is already our number one goal scorer. Robo looks like he will be first team LB soon. Klopp knows his system and knows players, and so far they are doing fairly well at their new home. The Ox sucked something awful the other day, but lets give him time. I want to see him in the central mid field role.

Oh I have no problem with Ox, I hope he does well and I’m rooting for him, I just don’t understand the buy myself. I think he can be a good player and I’m not slagging him off, just don’t understand how he was a priority but a central defender wasn’t.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #150: Sep 22, 2017 03:11:44 pm
      Oh I have no problem with Ox, I hope he does well and I’m rooting for him, I just don’t understand the buy myself. I think he can be a good player and I’m not slagging him off, just don’t understand how he was a priority but a central defender wasn’t.

Yea it's bizarre mate.

Especially when we could have taken him on a free Summer 18.

£40 mill would have gone a long way towards a Sakho replacement.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #151: Sep 22, 2017 03:44:37 pm
      Way to support a new signing lads

I think he will be fine for what it's worth. People slagged off Gini at the  same point of last season  and he ended up doing a good job for the team.
      I think by the time the season is out people will think of Chamberlain the same way

People have slagged off most of Jürgen's signings so far if you think about it. I remember people questioning and being underwhelmed by both the Mane and Salah transfers too. Both are two of our most important / productive players right now.

How long has AOC been here now and how much time has he actually been able to spend on the training pitch getting used to the tactics? Straight after the transfer there was an international break and since that it has been game after game, recovery session after recovery session, preparing the next game, ... It's not surprising at all that he looked completely out of sync on Tuesday. I've always thought Arsenal players looked unfit (bar a few exceptions like Sanchez) compared to our players and they suffer from even more injuries than our players do.

It'll take time for him to 1. get fit enough to play in our system and 2. get the tactics. I don't think we'll be seeing him start a game in midfield for the foreseeable future. The pressing triggers, the rotation in midfield, positional play, ... Isn't something you just learn over night. It's too big a risk to play him in midfield now. If one of the three doesn't do their job properly and leaves holes in either the press or the block, it leaves us wide open. Prime example being Can who seemingly just can't be arsed to do any running back at the moment. Playing out wide should be easier for him right now. Give him a year to really get up to speed with everything and next year we can start judging the lad. Not after one start in a second string team in the League Cup without a significant amount of time on the training pitch.

I don't really think it was a priority, more an "opportunity" if you can call it that? He refused to extend his Arsenal contract, Chelsea jumped on it and he made it clear he wanted to come to us. We (probably) overpaid, but sadly enough that's just today's market and certainly for young English internationals. Don't blame the player for costing what he did or for what clubs are prepared to pay for him. Pogba cost £90 million and he was sh*t last season. It's only now that he's starting to prove his worth.

I also think we really needed cover on the wings / for the #8 position. With only Mane and Salah as first team 'wide' players and Wijnaldum, Coutinho and Lallana the #8 players (Can and Henderson don't cut it as #8's for me), we were rather short on players for these positions. So as you say, not as big a priority as a CB, but still much needed cover, for me at least.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #152: Sep 22, 2017 05:07:25 pm
      he had a chance against Leicister in the cup, which to many fans did matter, he failed to impress.

The league cup doesn't matter. Period.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #153: Sep 22, 2017 05:08:10 pm
      He may have had a stinker against Leicester, but his attitude was spot on. Give him time.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #154: Sep 22, 2017 05:08:54 pm

Hi! Don't start that again! 😁
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #155: Sep 22, 2017 05:19:33 pm

It should matter to a club that has one trophy in 11 years :-\
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #156: Sep 22, 2017 08:21:08 pm

Can,t believe you of all people think that....Was going to try and tell you why it does, but if you can not see why it does there is no point in me trying to explain it to you...

To quote you....

So much for Liverpool having the smartest fans in the game
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #157: Sep 22, 2017 08:24:18 pm
      Can,t believe you of all people think that....Was going to try and tell you why it does, but if you can not see why it does there is no point in me trying to explain it to you...

To quote you....

Hey, you can drool over a micky mouse cup all you want. I think it's a waste of time. Don't pretend like you've never made fun of it before, it's universally recognised as a joke trophy.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #158: Sep 22, 2017 09:21:40 pm
      Hey, you can drool over a micky mouse cup all you want. I think it's a waste of time. Don't pretend like you've never made fun of it before, it's universally recognised as a joke trophy.
      You are quite right I have but I did so because i believe it should be a cup for our fringe players and our youths much like Wenger use to do
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #159: Sep 22, 2017 09:29:57 pm
      You are quite right I have but I did so because i believe it should be a cup for our fringe players and our youths much like Wenger use to do

Exactly, it's for fringe players so Ox playing in that competition doesn't show me much. Don't think the game really matters. When he starts playing more Premier League games then I think we'll be in a better position to judge him
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #160: Sep 23, 2017 12:33:39 pm
      Exactly, it's for fringe players so Ox playing in that competition doesn't show me much. Don't think the game really matters. When he starts playing more Premier League games then I think we'll be in a better position to judge him

But you can hardly call Coutinho,Wijnaldum and Henderson fringe players nor for that matter could the Ox be considered as one.... You would expect  Markovic to have started instead of the Ox, he is more on the fringe of the team and Woodburn over Coutinho any way it is done and dusted now...

Quick Reply