Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread (M)

Read 167771 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread
      Reply #161: Sep 23, 2017 01:12:41 pm
      But you can hardly call Coutinho,Wijnaldum and Henderson fringe players nor for that matter could the Ox be considered as one.... You would expect  Markovic to have started instead of the Ox, he is more on the fringe of the team and Woodburn over Coutinho any way it is done and dusted now...

Come on... Don't try to argue that was anywhere near a full strength team. Do I really need to go into it:

Ward; Flanagan, Gomez, Klavan, Robertson; Henderson, Grujic, Wijnaldum; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coutinho, Solanke

So many fringe players there. I think it was the correct call to put Ox in there however I would have rather seen him in CM where I think he'll be at his best, possibly instead of Gini?

Either way, you're right, done and dusted now. The only way is up for him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #162: Sep 23, 2017 08:36:45 pm
      Looked dangerous when he came on. I think he's going to be excellent
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #163: Sep 24, 2017 12:14:03 am
      I guess it's the curse of the LFC #21; he has to do it the hard way to get accepted.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #164: Sep 24, 2017 01:10:04 am
      I thought he nearly fu**ed it for us today in that last few seconds with that high boot. If we had of conceded from that free kick, think this topic would have had more then just 6 pages!
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #165: Sep 27, 2017 09:32:47 pm
      No sign of Chamberlain last night.
      When we could have been doing with fresh attacking options.
      Maybe he's still 'trying to hard' in training?!
      Can only assume that Klopp has seen no improvement on what we saw with our own eyes.

Lot of money spent. Finger out lad...
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #166: Sep 29, 2017 03:00:25 pm
      I want to see him Sunday in the mid field. Overall our midfield has been lacking this season. We will probably rest a few guys so why not see what we have? I rather see him there than on the wing.
      Decomposer
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
      Reply #167: Sep 30, 2017 01:02:25 pm
      DId we really sign a 40m bench warmer?
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #168: Sep 30, 2017 02:15:43 pm
      DId we really sign a 40m bench warmer?

Could be doing with him going from frog to prince sharpish.

Can't understand why we critisise players like Can and Hendo week in week out, guys who are actually good enough to be in the first XI, while we have a bloke we spent 40MILL on flying under the radar, keeping schtum on the bench.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #169: Oct 01, 2017 06:32:15 pm
      Should just change his kit number to 87.
      What's the point of paying so much for someone who only plays 5 minutes each game? Loads of half-decent CBs could have been bought for that much money.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #170: Oct 01, 2017 06:41:47 pm
      40M white elephant, when lallana is fit, won't be near first XI
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #171: Oct 02, 2017 11:18:04 pm
      I hear u all, and I'm ain't saying you're wrong. But don't you want to see him in the mid field before you just assume he sucks something awful? At this point resting Gini has to be in the forefront of everyone's mind. Why not see what the Ox can do in his preferred position?
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #172: Oct 02, 2017 11:27:08 pm
      I hear u all, and I'm ain't saying you're wrong. But don't you want to see him in the mid field before you just assume he sucks something awful? At this point resting Gini has to be in the forefront of everyone's mind. Why not see what the Ox can do in his preferred position?

You should ask Jürgen that.. he doesn't seem too eager to play him there.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #173: Oct 02, 2017 11:35:05 pm

The squad is top heavy in forwards and attacking mids. (Not strikers)
      Alex is the last player we needed in the summer.
      Not his fault, but he's on the bench because we didn't really need him.
      He's taking up bench space for Woodburn, who should now be on loan.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #174: Oct 03, 2017 10:56:27 am
      I've made no secret of the fact I really like the Ox, think he'll be a top player. Given his lack of minutes though I'm starting to be a little concerned, surely he's not a TC signing at 40 million quid?

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #175: Oct 03, 2017 05:09:49 pm
      I've made no secret of the fact I really like the Ox, think he'll be a top player. Given his lack of minutes though I'm starting to be a little concerned, surely he's not a TC signing at 40 million quid?
      he turned our season around. We were good now we're sh*te
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #176: Oct 03, 2017 05:32:46 pm

How did he do that by not playing?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #177: Oct 04, 2017 12:24:01 am

You could apply the same logic to Coutinho.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #178: Oct 04, 2017 12:53:10 am
      ... I hope he does well and I’m rooting for him, I just don’t understand the buy myself.

I didn't and still don't either.

The Ox to Klopp .....   makes the same sense as Rafa's buy of Robbie Keane.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #179: Oct 05, 2017 09:50:06 pm
      Strange how England improved by about 20% after Ox went off tonight 😳
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #180: Oct 06, 2017 07:54:49 am
      Another shocking performance by the sounds of it.
      If you combine the number of goals and number of assists he has this season, it's still less than the one assist Courtois has.

I didn't and still don't either.

The Ox to Klopp .....   makes the same sense as Rafa's buy of Robbie Keane.

To be fair Robbie Keane was a proven Premier League goal scorer for a number of years and other than Torres, we were lacking fire power up top.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #181: Oct 07, 2017 04:54:25 am
      If Klopp isn't keen on Oxlade-Chamberlain why did he pay £35m for him? He's in danger of becoming the new Benteke

When Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain kicked a water bottle in anger as he left the Wembley pitch last night it perhaps showed just how frustrated he has become by his situation since signing for Liverpool – but it also showed he cares. He now has find a way to control that frustration and turn it into something more positive - before a nightmare month turns into a nightmare season and beyond.

The midfielder must have woken up this morning wondering if he’s made the biggest mistake of his life. If his frustration at not being used in his favourite position played a part in him seeking a move away from the Emirates, at least when he was there he got to start games.

Whatever he imagined life would be like when he turned down a new Arsenal contract to make the big-money move north to Anfield, it can’t have involved him sitting on the bench for all but one of the seven games Liverpool have played since.

The one game he did start was in the League Cup, a game where Jürgen Klopp played more of his fringe and up-and-coming players, his first real chance to show Liverpool what he can do. He didn’t really take that chance.

To be fair to him, his Reds career didn’t get off to the best of starts. He made his debut from the bench and played the whole of the second half – but it was on the day Liverpool were on the wrong end of a 5-0 mauling by Manchester City. Nobody was going to rescue that game.

If the chance to keep playing in the Champions League played a part in his decision to move on from Arsenal that hasn’t worked out the best either. His second appearance for Liverpool was in the Reds’ opening group fixture – but he only got on the pitch with two minutes left on the clock.

Klopp took him to Moscow for the second group game, against Spartak, but decided against using him, despite still having one substitution left.

That City game aside, when he has come off the bench for Klopp it has always been late in the game. Against Burnley and Leicester in the league he came on close to the eightieth minute, against Newcastle is was with six minutes to go. Those types of substitutions are more about protecting the fitness of first-choice players than attempts to change games.

If Klopp doesn’t see Oxlade-Chamberlain as a game-changer and isn’t ready to give him a start the fee Liverpool paid begins to sound ludicrous.

Liverpool broke their transfer record this summer with the purchase of Mo Salah for £36.9m, until then the club record fee was £35m – the amount the Reds paid for Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Not only did Liverpool pay their second highest transfer fee for the ex-Arsenal player, they paid it when his contract was close to running down.

Fans expect players to hit the ground running when that kind of money is shelled out but Oxlade-Chamberlain seems to be a million miles away from being that kind of player.

There is a very big risk Oxlade-Chamberlain could become Klopp’s Benteke, the expensive player that just didn’t quite fit.

Liverpool weren’t playing the type of football that catered to Christian Benteke’s strengths and when Brendan Rodgers brought him in as the answer to the Reds’ troubles in front of goal post-Suarez it played a part in the manager finally losing his already precarious job.

Fans were frustrated with Benteke but the root cause of the issue wasn’t that he was doing anything wrong – he was just the wrong player. It wasn’t his fault, it was the fault of those at Anfield who identified him as a good signing. Has that happened again?

Klopp is nowhere near the stage of losing his job yet and Oxlade-Chamberlain obviously hasn’t been brought in for the same reason as Benteke – but where does the England star fit into a Klopp side?

Klopp doesn’t play with wing backs and doesn’t play with out-and-out wingers, expecting his wider front men – like Salah and Sadio Mané – to play a more dynamic role.

One of the players Oxlade-Chamberlain is up against for a starting place is Philippe Coutinho, who has the versatility to play in a various positions without losing any of his quality. The Reds midfield are often asked to play in different roles to what they might prefer or be used to – ask Adam Lallana, who thrived from a change in role handed to him by Klopp.

Whilst Oxlade-Chamberlain is unlikely to be asked to play as a wing-back by Klopp, he will have to get used to the idea of playing in different roles – something he is more than capable of doing.

What he also has to get used to is Klopp’s style of play and one possibility is that the German manager feels his new signing still needs time to do that. But in Oxlade-Chamberlain’s defence, he’s going to take even longer to get used to it if he’s not getting the chance to do it in real life.

What happens on the training ground is very different to what happens in a match and Klopp has to start taking a chance on the player sooner rather than later. If not, why spend £35m on him?

As Oxlade-Chamberlain thinks about his situation he needs to take heart from the fact that he is a good player, that he’s not had anywhere near enough of a chance to shine yet and that he’s only been at his new club a month.

There is plenty of time for Oxlade-Chamberlain to come good, but it isn’t all down to him. It is in situations like this that the top managers in football earn their corn and Jürgen Klopp is more than capable of that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/oxlade-chamberlain-klopp-liverpool-benteke-11298712
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #182: Oct 07, 2017 12:50:37 pm
      Said it couple of weeks ago and I'll say it again, I find the attitude towards Oxlade-Chamberlain absolutely incredible and shows just how sh*te some of our support has got IMO.

Some have given up on him after 73 minutes of Premier League football (45 of those when we were down to 10 men and the game was over at Man City). We're also judging him on England games now, even though apart from Lallana I can't remember the last Liverpool player who ever played well for England.

Any concerns regarding him surely have to be directed at Klopp and the transfer committee for signing him for 35m and then not playing him? To write the player himself off after such a short time is just ridiculous.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #183: Oct 07, 2017 01:54:23 pm
      Said it couple of weeks ago and I'll say it again, I find the attitude towards Oxlade-Chamberlain absolutely incredible and shows just how sh*te some of our support has got IMO.

Some have given up on him after 73 minutes of Premier League football (45 of those when we were down to 10 men and the game was over at Man City). We're also judging him on England games now, even though apart from Lallana I can't remember the last Liverpool player who ever played well for England.

Any concerns regarding him surely have to be directed at Klopp and the transfer committee for signing him for 35m and then not playing him? To write the player himself off after such a short time is just ridiculous.

I think you'll find that the criticism is directed at Klopp and the club for signing him with a little bit of criticism for a player who is obviously way way out of match sharpness and effectiveness.

Quick Reply