Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread (M)

Read 167761 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread
      Reply #253: Jan 06, 2018 12:29:45 am
      To be fair corner delivery aside I thought he was poor last night.

He's a piano carrier who in the absence of the key players is expexted to become the piano player and he's not good enough for that.

In a team with Salah, Mane, Firmino and Coutinho all the bad stuff is forgiven but when it falls on him to create and find a pass, I'm afraid he's not got it in him.

Again a useful player to have, but you wouldn't want to be too reliant on him to load the bullets.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #254: Jan 06, 2018 12:57:46 am
      Is developing nicely he will be a huge asset once Wengers bad habits have been coached out of him.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #255: Jan 06, 2018 10:16:54 am

He's a piano carrier who in the absence of the key players is expexted to become the piano player and he's not good enough for that.

In a team with Salah, Mane, Firmino and Coutinho all the bad stuff is forgiven but when it falls on him to create and find a pass, I'm afraid he's not got it in him.

Again a useful player to have, but you wouldn't want to be too reliant on him to load the bullets.

I think his best position will prove to be in the midfield three. He's s grafter who has surprised me with the defensive and pressing side of his game plus he offers moregoimg forward from that position than the likes of Hendo, Can and Milner. As a wide player he will be hit and miss I think although I prefer him on the left andcutting in as at Burnley rather than on the right as he was last night. His set piece delivery was excellent last night which is just as well because we are about to lose our free kick taker.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #256: Jan 06, 2018 03:46:58 pm

You and I watched a different game than mate. He worked his butt off to get the ball back, delivered 4 great set piece crosses, defended well, and was part of a few counters that fell apart because other people (Lallana). This kid is only going to get better under Klopp. Just watching him makes you realize two things.

1. How good he can be with time to develop in our system.

2. How good of a player manager Klopp is. To get the improvement out of the the likes Ox, Salah, and Robbo I’m just a short amount of time makes you wonder where this team will be two years from now.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018 03:51:45 pm by Breeding-Reds-In-The-434 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #257: Jan 06, 2018 04:06:51 pm

Thought he played well vs Everton, very hard working and gritty performance, but aside from that, I agree, he is a piano carrier, and that same analogy can be used for Hendo, Can, Wijnaldum , Lallana and Milner. We need a F***ing piano player with Coutinho F***ing off!!!!
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #258: Jan 12, 2018 03:57:15 am
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/11/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-relishes-chance-philippe-coutinho-liverpool

Nice little interview here. The following quote summarises Alex's life at Anfield

“The biggest thing I’ve had to learn is how this manager likes to stop situations at source and how he likes to attack is slightly different to how my manager before [Arsène Wenger] liked to attack. There’s not really one right and one wrong way but after six years at one club certain things become second nature to you and it takes time to break that instinct.”
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #259: Jan 12, 2018 08:46:46 am
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/11/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-relishes-chance-philippe-coutinho-liverpool

Nice little interview here. The following quote summarises Alex's life at Anfield

“The biggest thing I’ve had to learn is how this manager likes to stop situations at source and how he likes to attack is slightly different to how my manager before [Arsène Wenger] liked to attack. There’s not really one right and one wrong way but after six years at one club certain things become second nature to you and it takes time to break that instinct.”

Klopp un-Wengering the Ox.. ;D

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #260: Jan 14, 2018 05:58:03 pm
      Just can't help but love this bloke. Has stepped up big time game after game.
      Well in Ox!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #261: Jan 14, 2018 06:00:42 pm
      Useful for our squad, ain't he.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #262: Jan 14, 2018 06:15:54 pm
      Good news for Arsenal fans - Oxlade Chamberlain today helped preserve Arsenal's invincible season in 2004. The bad news - they've sold us a class player.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #263: Jan 14, 2018 06:27:42 pm
      Wait until after a full pre-season and watch him continue to shine....equaled his best goal tally and it's January.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #264: Jan 14, 2018 06:36:41 pm
      I think Ox does a good job. I think he's a stronger defensive presence than Coutinho but still has the assists and goals too. Fantastic player, he reminds me of how Gerrard used to play. It's exactly what we need in midfield.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #265: Jan 14, 2018 08:22:07 pm
      Always wondered where that player that had scored that blitzer against Brazil in a friendly a few years back had gone. Seems that we've rediscovered him and in Klopp's case, reinvented him. I'm sure he's got a lot more to uncover with this player as well.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #266: Jan 14, 2018 08:35:00 pm
      Doesn't look like a class act when he first signed. Lacked game time at Arsenal and costs £35 million. Whenever he played, we've not won for his first few games. Looking like Klopp paid £35 million not for his natural footballing talent, but his ability to execute what Klopp tells him to do.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #267: Jan 14, 2018 08:38:53 pm
      I think Ox does a good job. I think he's a stronger defensive presence than Coutinho but still has the assists and goals too. Fantastic player, he reminds me of how Gerrard used to play. It's exactly what we need in midfield.

I agree. If he carries on the way he's been playing in the middle for us, he will be half the play Gerrard was in his peak years, and that is a bloody compliment.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #268: Jan 15, 2018 02:28:37 am
      Put my hands up and admit I wasn’t sold on this signing, but I’m so glad to be absolutely wrong. Love his play, love his effort and love his attitude most of all.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #269: Jan 15, 2018 03:35:42 am
      Put my hands up and admit I wasn’t sold on this signing, but I’m so glad to be absolutely wrong. Love his play, love his effort and love his attitude most of all.

He wants to be here, in the end Coutinho didn’t. In the end of the day I love this club and want players who feel the same. It sucks Phil is gone, but we got a guy who works tirelessly, has tremendous pace, and seems to have a lot of potential. Right now he is a blank canvas, and Yurgen Klopp is one hell of a painter.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #270: Jan 15, 2018 03:38:23 am
      This probably belongs in the Knee Jerk section but the way he dribbled through for the first goal reminds me of Maradona!
      Just joking but I do like the direct dribbling from deep like Reus at Dortmund and Coutinho. I think this can become part of his game more and more. He may not have the agility/control of Coutinho but he has real speed and power and good feet, he can use this if given confidence and tactical understanding.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #271: Jan 15, 2018 03:51:38 am
      Peter Schmeichel was saying Ederson could have done better on the goal, and though you can say that for many goals probably, the sheer power still made it a quality goal. May there be many more!

In this day and age of ever increasing transfer prices, if he keeps putting in shifts like he is then his price will be a bargain. His leadership is brilliant. His graft is something else. More than that, he's starting to look confident to be a part of the electricity that makes this Klopp team tick. I can't wait to see him continue to flourish.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #272: Jan 15, 2018 04:23:32 am
      I am most impressed by his maturity and leadership on and of the field displayed in such a short time as well. Took the game by the scuff last night and showed class to step in for Coutinho when in the presser.

Keep it going Alex!
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #273: Jan 15, 2018 04:25:15 am

His leadership is brilliant. His graft is something else. More than that, he's starting to look confident to be a part of the electricity that makes this Klopp team tick. I can't wait to see him continue to flourish.

He wants to be Steven Gerrard. I will be happy if he can do half of what Stevie did for the club.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #274: Jan 15, 2018 11:35:27 am
      Always wondered where that player that had scored that blitzer against Brazil in a friendly a few years back had gone.
      Thought that was John Barnes  ;D

Seriously though, delighted that he's done so much to shift opinion in such a short space of time.  Seems a top bloke as well and right behind his teammates when you here him interviewed.  He's a starter in our strongest 11 for me and alongside Keita, with a pre-season under his belt, will really flourish next season.

FP to the gaffer, he's been more than decent in the transfer market for us, thus far.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #275: Jan 15, 2018 12:07:16 pm
      Was delighted when we got him and he hasn’t disappointed! What a performance and rightly deserves all the praise. I just love how positive his play is... always looking to go forward and make something happen.

Quick Reply