Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Final Net Spend Values

Read 8387 times
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Re: Final Net Spend Values
      Reply #46: Sep 01, 2017 04:37:57 pm
      Because we no longer have the option to play him and because we didn't buy a replacement for him. Let me explain. It's not that Sahko was the answer to our problems but he was one of four Center Backs on the books. Was he better than Klavan? Yes. Was he more experienced than Gomez? Yes. We should have been looking for an upgrade on Klavan and a replacement for Sahko. We didn't sign one nevermind two, and now we rely on someone we know isn't very good and someone we know isn't very experienced, to be back up to someone who is prone to making rash decisions. However, if you think we're stronger for having failed to land Van Dyke and selling Sahko then knock yourself out. It's all opinions at the end of the day but I doubt you'll find many who agree with you.

I feel safer with Klavan in the back four than when Lovren is in.

Think he looks a lot more comfortable and Matip looks better with him as his partner.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 04:42:11 pm by LFCSTEVE1984 »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #47: Sep 01, 2017 04:37:58 pm
      Let's look at one window in isolation; not too shabby; eh? 😂😂😂

"Ah but... ah but... I'm only giving you the info. Not trying to twist anything"

Spending £500m on [value for money] mediocrity or £500m on top talent: there's the difference. "Next year"; right? 🙄

Not holding your breath are you Bubbs?

YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #48: Sep 01, 2017 04:59:20 pm
      Questions marks over Ward, Gomez,Solanke and Grujic as they haven't proven themselves over a more sustained period of time.
      The only area we can compete with the rest of the top 6 head to head is going forward and that's with all players staying fit..maybe you agree with me as you felt the need to put aditional explanations in brackets for the defenders but none for the others.
      And I'm saying all this with a title challenge in mind..if you say it with another top 4 challenge and cup semi final/final year maybe the squad is good enough..barely..as it was last year.

For heavens sake when you look at the fringes of any squad then the quality is a bit questionable but all those players I listed are capable and good players, yes the attackers are probably better than the defenders but our defence really isn't as bad as some like to think it is. I think we'll do very well this year and i can't wait to get back to the football next weekend.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #49: Sep 01, 2017 05:06:04 pm
      Only my opinion of course but this window tbf is a bit of a mixed bag, and no where near what I was expecting, the simple fact is our net spend favours FSG yet again and one has to wonder that another 2-3 similar windows might actually be enough for JW and his buddies to wave the white flag and F**k off back to a very exuberant Boston tea party,

All you number crunchers out there may be able to work out how much profit would FSG make if they decide that a decade of profiteering will suffice their avaricious appetite,

Although commendable that messers Salah, AOC, Solanke, Robertson have arrived and the deal for Naby next season, I still regard this window as a fail,

Imagine had they bottled the advances of the Barca bully boys, I think it's fair to say that we'd all  or most would be spitting feathers irrespective of Phil's immaturity ,

The positives are , we have enhanced our attack, strengthened midfield,

The Negative is we haven't strengthened where we should have and are now dependent on key defenders going throughout the whole campaign unscathed, can't see that happening can you ?

Unless we can land VvD In Jan we will be exposed and vulnerable and most probably will leak goals.

YNWA
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #50: Sep 01, 2017 05:09:29 pm
      For heavens sake when you look at the fringes of any squad then the quality is a bit questionable but all those players I listed are capable and good players, yes the attackers are probably better than the defenders but our defence really isn't as bad as some like to think it is. I think we'll do very well this year and i can't wait to get back to the football next weekend.

No doubt...every squad has weaknesses, Christ one significant injury in Chelsea's squad and they are hurting...same goes with Spurs and Arsenal....City and the scum have better depth than most but yes every club has question marks.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #51: Sep 01, 2017 05:13:39 pm
      The way I look at it now, do we have a strong enough squad to win the League and Champions League? No in my opinion, a couple of injuries to key men and we'll be in trouble, just like we were last season without even having Europe to worry about.

Our bank balance is extremely healthy, which will please a few on here as that seems to take presidents over the quality of the players on show, but given that we're competing in four competitions this season, it wouldn't been better to use some if that money to further strengthen the squad. Jürgen could regret the decision not to, just like he did last season.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #52: Sep 01, 2017 05:34:32 pm
      Lucas Leiva did play 31 games last season.  You'd have to look to see how many of them were covering at centre-back.  But I'd say 31 appearances in a 45 game season was significant.

And a certain proportion of people think that Mamadou Sakho was LFC's best centre-back - not everybody but plenty - so I'm not buying that sweeping statement.
      I'd say he's not really a centre back. He doesn't have the skills to play their at a premier league level long term. He's not a significant loss.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #53: Sep 01, 2017 06:36:17 pm
      No doubt...every squad has weaknesses, Christ one significant injury in Chelsea's squad and they are hurting...same goes with Spurs and Arsenal....City and the scum have better depth than most but yes every club has question marks.

Yup, ironically of all the Top six, I think Chelsea are the ones we've gained ground on the most. Ours wasn't brilliant but they had a terrible transfer window. Lukaku, Barkley, AOC, Llorenete, Van Dyke, Alves and Sandro all turned them down in favour of other clubs, two of which were us. We didn't do enough business, that's clear but there are certainly positives to take away from this window.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #54: Sep 01, 2017 06:41:40 pm
      We didn't do enough business, that's clear but there are certainly positives to take away from this window.

Hits the buttons that statement...I don't think whatever business is done in any window that everyone is 100% happy; If it weren't for the VVD fiasco we would all probably feel pretty content about what we did; I give it a 6.5-7/10 simply because I believed we needed another 1-2 CB's.
      Kopite78
      Reply #55: Sep 01, 2017 06:49:58 pm
      Yup, ironically of all the Top six, I think Chelsea are the ones we've gained ground on the most.

Funny you hit  on this buddy as I was talking to a mate earlier about the same thing, however I also went on to say that I think we're significantly better than Arsenal, that Spurs won't have the seasons they've had in the last 2-3 with Wembley playing a massive part in that.

If you ask me? It's us or the Manchester clubs with Chelsea just behind (due to squad depth) for the league so as disappointing as missing out on VVD is... we can win this f**ker and in the least we should be cementing our place in that top4

We aren't spurs who need to go beyond to get there... we're f**king Liverpool football club and if we start to turn this ship round like we have then players will fall over themselves to sign for us.. Kieta  has proven that by signing for next season  not knowing where we will be.. . Well I'm with f**king Naby.... this is the place to be

Be confident

We are moving forward and it's a matter of time until we lift trophies to back that up. Klopp wiĺl deliver I'm sure
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #56: Sep 01, 2017 06:54:00 pm
      If you think about it, FSG are smart. We got Ox, Arsenal didn't replace him.. they are weaker and we are stronger.
      Buying Lemar would only make us stronger and not Arsenal weaker.
      FSG are happy finishing 4th every season over Arsenal and couldn't care about any higher, nice revenue.. not so much less than 1st but can spend a lot less.
      TV deal money, play some CL games...etc...
      It can be really profitable spending little like 10% of our revenue and finishing fourth every season.
      It's obvious what is next here...
      Why didn't we sign Lemar? because we already have his replacement.
      We refused to sell Coutinho and got Kieta for next year.
      Next season Coutinho goes and Kieta comes.
      Why didn't we get a CB? Because by beating a dead horse, aka trying to sign VVD looks like we tried.
      We didn't really try, or we would have signed another CB.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #57: Sep 01, 2017 06:55:11 pm
      Funny you hit  on this buddy as I was talking to a mate earlier about the same thing, however I also went on to say that I think we're significantly better than Arsenal, that Spurs won't have the seasons they've had in the last 2-3 with Wembley playing a massive part in that.

If you ask me? It's us or the Manchester clubs with Chelsea just behind (due to squad depth) for the league so as disappointing as missing out on VVD is... we can win this f**ker and in the least we should be cementing our place in that top4

We aren't spurs who need to go beyond to get there... we're f**king Liverpool football club and if we start to turn this ship round like we have then players will fall over themselves to sign for us.. Kieta  has proven that by signing for next season  not knowing where we will be.. . Well I'm with f**king Naby.... this is the place to be

Be confident

We are moving forward and it's a matter of time until we lift trophies to back that up. Klopp wiĺl deliver I'm sure

Great post.

One thing you touched on that I think is important as too what we heard during this window and even now.

Keita wanted Liverpool
      VVD only want's to go to Liverpool
      AOC turns down Chelsea because he wanted Liverpool
      Lemar supposedly only has eyes for Liverpool.

With the league and players all so flush with money I think a lot of them are saying to themselves...Where can I go and enjoy my football?..Where can I go where the manager is stable in his job and give me what I need to be my best?..What club seems to have an upward trajectory.

Hell even Ross Barkley would rather stay in Liverpool then go to London... :)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #58: Sep 01, 2017 07:13:55 pm
      If you think about it, FSG are smart. We got Ox, Arsenal didn't replace him.. they are weaker and we are stronger.
      Buying Lemar would only make us stronger and not Arsenal weaker.
      FSG are happy finishing 4th every season over Arsenal and couldn't care about any higher, nice revenue.. not so much less than 1st but can spend a lot less.
      TV deal money, play some CL games...etc...
      It can be really profitable spending little like 10% of our revenue and finishing fourth every season.
      It's obvious what is next here...
      Why didn't we sign Lemar? because we already have his replacement.
      We refused to sell Coutinho and got Kieta for next year.
      Next season Coutinho goes and Kieta comes.
      Why didn't we get a CB? Because by beating a dead horse, aka trying to sign VVD looks like we tried.
      We didn't really try, or we would have signed another CB.

Buying Lemar, a player Arsenal were in competition to sign, would have prevented them from getting stronger. He would also have made us stronger than AOC. Buying AOC and Lemar would have been a double whammy to Arsenal. Buying to prevent your rivals from getting stronger is a classic Fergusson tactic, and one we could learn from.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #59: Sep 01, 2017 07:35:37 pm
      Buying Lemar, a player Arsenal were in competition to sign, would have prevented them from getting stronger. He would also have made us stronger than AOC. Buying AOC and Lemar would have been a double whammy to Arsenal. Buying to prevent your rivals from getting stronger is a classic Fergusson tactic, and one we could learn from.
      Right before transfer deadline and everyone wanted to come to Liverpool, possibly because we thrashed Arsenal 4-0. Lemar was never going to go to Arsenal. Arsenal are near relegation zone and lucky they aren't in it. There 4-3 win over Leicester has prevented that. Arsenal seem average now. It might just be a top 5 with Liverpool, Chelsea, City, United and Spurs. Arsenal will be around Everton's level maybe?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #60: Sep 01, 2017 11:14:05 pm
      A good OP, some interesting figures, but I don't see the point, with all due respect.
      And that's only because I have a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to these things.

My only concern is "have we improved the team/squad".

To me, the answer is yes.

I'm not sure we have improved , yes our midfield and attack are excellent but the thorny issue of defence has not changed a bit, it is even worse now that sakho has been sold and no replacement for him. We've all known for ages that Sakho would not return as did Klopp and the owners and they decided at the last minute to pull the plug on him.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #61: Sep 02, 2017 05:44:41 am
      Lucas Leiva did play 31 games last season.  You'd have to look to see how many of them were covering at centre-back.  But I'd say 31 appearances in a 45 game season was significant.

And a certain proportion of people think that Mamadou Sakho was LFC's best centre-back - not everybody but plenty - so I'm not buying that sweeping statement.

Plenty would be looking back on him fondly because Lovren is so bad.

Watch the second Dortmund game and see why Sakho wasn't the answer, either.

And he didn't play a game last season. How could he be classified as significant?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #62: Sep 02, 2017 06:45:47 am
      Got this off FB ....seems about right, although thought Solanke was 8 million.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #63: Sep 02, 2017 12:10:55 pm
      When and why did net spend become so important?

Just more evidence that football is no longer a sport and instead is just a business.
      Kopite78
      Reply #64: Sep 02, 2017 12:34:23 pm
      Got this off FB ....seems about right, although thought Solanke was 8 million.

The Solanke deal has got to go to tribunal mate so no figure at all can be attributed to it

We thought 3 they want 10 I believe so it's likely somewhere in between
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #65: Sep 02, 2017 01:10:14 pm

Just more evidence that football is no longer a sport and instead is just a business.

It became important when it was first used as a stick to beat Rafa with, and is now doing the same job on FSG.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #66: Sep 02, 2017 03:17:49 pm

It's an important indicator of investment in the squad, however, one that should begin to narrow the more your squad gets closer to your manager's ideal. We should, and natrually did , have a higher net spend than Spurs, for example, because Spurs where further ahead of us in their development. City had the most because City needed a near total rebuild. All that being said, some people misuse it in the manner Swab suggested.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #67: Sep 02, 2017 05:28:05 pm
      It's an important indicator of investment in the squad, however, one that should begin to narrow the more your squad gets closer to your manager's ideal. We should, and natrually did , have a higher net spend than Spurs, for example, because Spurs where further ahead of us in their development. City had the most because City needed a near total rebuild. All that being said, some people misuse it in the manner Swab suggested.

Means something to Chelsea now also it seams.

Chelsea missing out on Romelu Lukaku, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Co proves that times have changed at Stamford Bridge... Roman Abramovich's new transfer rules mean they no longer go the extra mile

More than any other individual, Roman Abramovich changed the financial landscape of the modern Premier League transfer market, creating the feverish moneypit it has become today.

In his first year as Chelsea owner in 2003, the club's outlay on players grew from £500,000 to £153million and the spend-spend-spend era throughout English football was under way.

But times have changed at Stamford Bridge as the failure to land established targets Romelu Lukaku, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Fernando Llorente and Ross Barkley have underlined in the current window.

Having once swept all rivals aside – remember the British transfer record fees for Andriy Shevchenko and Fernando Torres, the pursuit of Ashley Cole and gazumping of Tottenham for Willian – Chelsea now operate within strict rules laid down by Abramovich and enforced by his eyes and ears at the club, director Marina Granovskaia, chairman Bruce Buck and director of football Michael Emenalo.

Now established as a European super-power, the business model is paramount at Chelsea with a cap on a spending and revenue streams from loaning players out. And if the manager is unhappy about missing out on transfer targets or having a relatively small squad as a consequence, then so be it.

It's not a new idea for Abramovich. He has regularly changed managers while keeping a core group of players and senior executives in place.

Where some see a managerial revolving door, others see a stable structure and results, five Premier League titles including the 2010 Double and a Champions League, suggest the Londoners have got it right.

Yet times are changing and Conte and many supporters will be worried by developments in this transfer window.

Yes, Abramovich can still sign off on big deals and the capture of Alvaro Morata from Real Madrid, rising to £70million, was the second-biggest in the window behind Lukaku.

But Chelsea will no longer go the extra mile to make deals happen. They will not forsake loan fees to help Conte have a big enough squad. Hence when the Italian was scratching around for players on the opening day against Burnley, Kurt Zouma, Tammy Abraham, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and others were already elsewhere

Time will tell if Chelsea's policy still works. But the undeniable fact at the end of the August window is that they missed out on key targets. They were all for different reasons but for 2017-18 Lukaku will be wearing the red of Manchester United, Llorente the white of Tottenham and Oxlade-Chamberlain the red of Liverpool, instead of the blue of Chelsea.
      #As for Barkley, his late u-turn about moving to Stamford Bridge on deadline night summed up the whole chaos of the window.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4844204/Chelsea-owner-Roman-Abramovich-changed-transfer-rules.html#ixzz4rXW4AI9C
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Quick Reply