Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Final Net Spend Values

Read 8392 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Final Net Spend Values
      Reply #23: Sep 01, 2017 06:58:56 am
      but I'm not sure just grabbing whatever slapper was keen at 4am in the club is the right move either.

But.... sometimes, just sometimes that slapper turns out to be the best night of your life  :P
      Kopite78
      Reply #24: Sep 01, 2017 07:27:26 am
      To some it means everything Swab....I just posted it as a way to look at what the clubs I consider our biggest rivals in the top spots accomplished.

It really is irrelevant to compare net spend against 'rivals' because it depends where they are and what they need in comparison.

The question is did we solve what we had to prior to this window irrespective of net..

Answer. Sorry it's got to be a no so therefore the window has ultimately been another failure.

I'm happy with a couple of the players in, I think they are really really good players in terms of Salah and Chamberlain but the squad still has issues that we haven't sorted and that makes it a letdown
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #25: Sep 01, 2017 07:48:43 am
      It really is irrelevant to compare net spend against 'rivals' because it depends where they are and what they need in comparison.

The question is did we solve what we had to prior to this window irrespective of net..

Answer. Sorry it's got to be a no so therefore the window has ultimately been another failure.

I'm happy with a couple of the players in, I think they are really really good players in terms of Salah and Chamberlain but the squad still has issues that we haven't sorted and that makes it a letdown

Yep it was a failure mate
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Sep 01, 2017 08:06:19 am

The question is did we solve what we had to prior to this window irrespective of net.
      Spot on buddy. For e.g. we could sell a world class striker (the catalyst for all attacks) and spend twice as much on okay players in all other positions but...

If you buy pish in the one area you're now lacking [striker]; it doesn't matter how much you spend.

The lads we brought in this window, good as they are in their own right, aren't exactly what was needed. They are the type you look to AFTER you've addressed the big issue, in my opinion, obviously.

The proof of the pudding will always be in the eating and i genuinely hope i am wrong but right now; that window was a big anti-climax. 😕
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Sep 01, 2017 08:45:20 am
      Let's look at one window in isolation; those two games we won against Hoffeneim will cover our out lay no matter how dismally we do in the group stages where we'll earn over £50m in gate, tv money and for just turning up..

shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #28: Sep 01, 2017 10:36:00 am
      Have you looked at the clubs books, how do you know what the budget was beyond reading tweets from ITK's?

Shouldn't need to have to analyse books to realise that in order to be successful (and I believe we are supposed to be one of the top 10 richest clubs) you need to invest each transfer window.

Being as we spent zero each of the last two windows it would not be too difficult to presume that the budget for both of those windows (and I mean more than £10) plus the budget for this window should be available.

We are basically just falling further away each transfer window that goes on in terms of squad value.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #29: Sep 01, 2017 10:43:27 am
      You think we don't have much money to spend if we want to?

I do actually think we have money to spend but we are not in a position or mindset to piss money up the wall and I respect that. Take the Lemar deal for example, £75 million for a mostly unproven player in this market would be ok'ish but £90 is really taking the piss, that is one hell of a lot of money in a massively inflated market and you could only sanction that if you desperately needed the player, like Arsenal, but we don't, we have plenty of attackers already.
      The only position/player I'm annoyed about is VVD, but I really do think that is more a case of Southampton being idiots in how they conduct their business. It makes zero sense for them not to sell him, and that was heart ruling the head, I'm astonished the new owners allowed it. Yes you could make the same argument about us and Coutinho, but the situation is quite different.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #30: Sep 01, 2017 12:48:22 pm
      I think the broader question here is has the window been a success? Did we significantly strengthen ourselves, compared to our rivals? In that you'd have to say it was mixed. We strengthened our attack, but we failed to add creativity to the middle of the park - yes we kept Coutinho but that's not an achievement in itself, and Keita will only join next Summer - but the one glaring weakness in the team went untouched.

That in itself wouldn't be quite so bad if we'd been priced out of a deal or players hadn't wanted to come but we had the money and we had the player who wanted to come and because we were so busy chest thumping, Edwards' fu**ed the entire deal up and now we're left with Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez for Center Back which, when you consider we sold Sahko, means we start the season weaker in that key area than we finished the last one. So it was mixed, at best, and we're left waiting for that Statement signing to be made.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 01:01:39 pm by 5timesacharm »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Sep 01, 2017 01:00:22 pm
      I think the broader question here is has the window been a success? Did we significantly strengthen ourselves compared to our rivals? In that you'd have to say it was mixed. We strengthened our attack, but we failed to add creativity to the middle of the park - yes we kept Coutinho but that's not an achievement in itself, and Keita will only join next Summer - but the one glaring weakness in the team went untouched.

That in itself wouldn't be quite so bad if we'd been priced out of a deal or players hadn't wanted to come but we had the money and we had the player who wanted to come and because we were so busy chest thumping, Edwards' fu**ed the entire deal up and now we're left with Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez for Center Back which, when you consider we sold Sahko, means we start the season weaker in that key area than we finished the last one. So it was mixed, at best, and we're left waiting for that Statement signing to be made.

I'd take Gomez over Lucas at CB any time and Sakho didn't play for us last season, so how are we weaker??
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #32: Sep 01, 2017 01:04:28 pm
      I read so many articles at the start of summer we would spend not £100 million but £200 million.....

;D we spent p**s all in the end.

I don't know why we ever expect any different. Always the same with this club and it's why we only win one carling cup every 5 years at the moment.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #33: Sep 01, 2017 01:05:18 pm
      Because we no longer have the option to play him.

He was a poor option at CB, I would say we are exactly where we were last season in terms of defence.

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #34: Sep 01, 2017 01:09:46 pm
      Could we / should we have bought a CB ? Yes (if it was VVD)

As we didn't, it just means we have to win every game 4-3 or 5-4 now until Jan window opens
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #35: Sep 01, 2017 01:10:12 pm
      I'd take Gomez over Lucas at CB any time and Sakho didn't play for us last season, so how are we weaker??

Because we no longer have the option to play him and because we didn't buy a replacement for him. Let me explain. It's not that Sahko was the answer to our problems but he was one of four Center Backs on the books. Was he better than Klavan? Yes. Was he more experienced than Gomez? Yes. We should have been looking for an upgrade on Klavan and a replacement for Sahko. We didn't sign one nevermind two, and now we rely on someone we know isn't very good and someone we know isn't very experienced, to be back up to someone who is prone to making rash decisions. However, if you think we're stronger for having failed to land Van Dyke and selling Sahko then knock yourself out. It's all opinions at the end of the day but I doubt you'll find many who agree with you.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #36: Sep 01, 2017 01:33:13 pm

Lucas Leiva did play 31 games last season.  You'd have to look to see how many of them were covering at centre-back.  But I'd say 31 appearances in a 45 game season was significant.

And a certain proportion of people think that Mamadou Sakho was LFC's best centre-back - not everybody but plenty - so I'm not buying that sweeping statement.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #37: Sep 01, 2017 01:33:55 pm
      I think the broader question here is has the window been a success? Did we significantly strengthen ourselves, compared to our rivals? In that you'd have to say it was mixed. We strengthened our attack, but we failed to add creativity to the middle of the park - yes we kept Coutinho but that's not an achievement in itself, and Keita will only join next Summer - but the one glaring weakness in the team went untouched.

No, we started the window with the weakest squad in top 6 and we ended it with the weakest squad in top 6..we'll have to rely again on Jürgen getting the best from these players and hope Mane, Coutinho and Matip will not get long term injuries so that we can clinch again a 4th spot.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #38: Sep 01, 2017 01:38:40 pm
      No, we started the window with the weakest squad in top 6 and we ended it with the weakest squad in top 6..we'll have to rely again on Jürgen getting the best from these players and hope Mane, Coutinho and Matip will not get long term injuries so that we can clinch again a 4th spot.

Glad to know that the weakest squad in the top 6 is somehow able to beat those other, superior squads in the top 6 more often than not.

You seriously think our squad is worse than Arsenal's atm? A team with literally no balance and the solidity of a paper bag?

Big negative not bringing in a CB and hopefully we don't pay too much on that till January but you look at all other positions and we have more depth everywhere.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: Sep 01, 2017 03:25:38 pm
      Only stat im concerned with is the fact we have done nothing about our weak spot.

Which one Brian ? 

;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40: Sep 01, 2017 03:29:05 pm
      Because we no longer have the option to play him and because we didn't buy a replacement for him. Let me explain. It's not that Sahko was the answer to our problems but he was one of four Center Backs on the books. Was he better than Klavan? Yes. Was he more experienced than Gomez? Yes. We should have been looking for an upgrade on Klavan and a replacement for Sahko. We didn't sign one nevermind two, and now we rely on someone we know isn't very good and someone we know isn't very experienced, to be back up to someone who is prone to making rash decisions. However, if you think we're stronger for having failed to land Van Dyke and selling Sahko then knock yourself out. It's all opinions at the end of the day but I doubt you'll find many who agree with you.

Was there any chance of Klopp EVER playing Sakho, NO, end of argument, move on.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41: Sep 01, 2017 03:36:48 pm

Rubbish statement, do you really think our SQUAD is significantly worse than Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal?
      Lets look at our squad and you tell me the weaknesses please:

GK: Migs, Karius, Ward (all of them very decent goalkeepers, not world class but decent)
      CB: Matip, Lovren, Klavan, Gomez (Matip is very good, Lovren and Klavan are good, YES they are, and Gomez is already good and will only get better and better)
      RB: Clyne, TAA, Gomez
      LB: Moreno, Robertson, Milner
      CM: Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Grujic, Chamberlain
      AM/F: Mane, Salah, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke

We all agree it would have been great to get another top top CB but other than that I think our side looks very strong at the moment, arguably as storng as its been in many years, there's plenty of cover and I haven't even included the next gen players like Woodbourne and Kent into this equation.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #42: Sep 01, 2017 03:42:06 pm
      I totally disagree and do not come up with net spending because Klopp had his targets and he almost got them all. The only one that did not happen and I honestly am sad about it is VVD. Lemar was never mentioned before as target and we just went to sniff around.

klopp got his primary targets bar one:

Bought:
      Salah
      Keita (we did want we could)
      Robertson
      Solanke (Klopp was influenced by our scouts, was not his target)
      Alex OC

Failed big time with VVD because he should have been here from pre-season if Liverpool staff did not get excited very earlier. Southampton we never to sell him after that, for sure not to us since they did not report us.

Should we kick Trent & Gomez out to get a 'proven' quality right-back ??? I really think that Klopp's way of doing thing is correct (maybe par Sakho's situation. I would have sold him since he wasn't in the team).

We can't get everything our way. That's life.

I took my post from the owners thread.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #43: Sep 01, 2017 03:52:58 pm
      What the F**k has football become at all.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #44: Sep 01, 2017 04:05:50 pm
      Was there any chance of Klopp EVER playing Sakho, NO, end of argument, move on.

In which case we're still weaker for not having bought a replacement. This isn't rocket science. Klavan isn't good enough. Gomez isn't experienced enough. Matip and Lovren aren't consitent enough. We lack leadership and organisation at the back. Whether we kept Sahko or sold him is irrelevent, we needed to strengthen and we didn't. The only thing his staying (and being played) or leaving effected was the number of defenders we needed to buy. Therefore we're weaker for not doing so. No matter how you want to look at this, no matter who went out or who stayed, we have the weakest back line of the top six.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #45: Sep 01, 2017 04:16:53 pm
      Rubbish statement, do you really think our SQUAD is significantly worse than Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal?
      Lets look at our squad and you tell me the weaknesses please:

GK: Migs, Karius, Ward (all of them very decent goalkeepers, not world class but decent)
      CB: Matip, Lovren, Klavan, Gomez (Matip is very good, Lovren and Klavan are good, YES they are, and Gomez is already good and will only get better and better)
      RB: Clyne, TAA, Gomez
      LB: Moreno, Robertson, Milner
      CM: Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Grujic, Chamberlain
      AM/F: Mane, Salah, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke

We all agree it would have been great to get another top top CB but other than that I think our side looks very strong at the moment, arguably as storng as its been in many years, there's plenty of cover and I haven't even included the next gen players like Woodbourne and Kent into this equation.

Questions marks over Ward, Gomez,Solanke and Grujic as they haven't proven themselves over a more sustained period of time.
      The only area we can compete with the rest of the top 6 head to head is going forward and that's with all players staying fit..maybe you agree with me as you felt the need to put aditional explanations in brackets for the defenders but none for the others.
      And I'm saying all this with a title challenge in mind..if you say it with another top 4 challenge and cup semi final/final year maybe the squad is good enough..barely..as it was last year.

Quick Reply