Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The 2017 Summer Transfer Window Review and Rating

Read 9050 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      The 2017 Summer Transfer Window Review and Rating
      Sep 01, 2017 08:07:50 pm
       xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I'd like this to be a thread where people can post a real review of their thoughts and opinions on the summer transfer dealings. Break down why they think it and overall come to a conclusion and a rating of the business. I'm going to break my review down into what our goals should have been going in, and if we have achieved them or not. I'm also going to try and rank them in terms of importance.

MAIN GOALS:
      For me it was clear that we had 3 main goals going into this window and they were as follows:
      * Under no circumstances do we sell Phil Coutinho
      * Buy Virgil Van Djik
      * Buy Naby Keita

As of right now, we have not sold Phil. People are talking about how we are going to sell him next summer already which is pathetic, please don't post in hypotheticals when reviewing. Fact is, a main target was to keep him and the rest of our best players. target achieved

VvD was an absolute shambles. The tapping up, the rubbish job by the journalists who are 'in the know' reporting this and the sheer amount of time dedicated to this man all factored into frustration. It looks like Saints have just done what we have with Phil and said he's not for sale. Nevertheless target failed

Naby Keita is a Liverpool player. Yes people NABY KEITA IS A LIVERPOOL PLAYER. Seems many forget that. We managed to do the best deal possible for him. We didn't get him this year, because it was impossible to do so, so we got the next best thing and have him wrapped up for next season. Now I think some will argue that this shouldn't count in the review of this window because we won't sign him until next year but that's a silly argument as we did the deal in this window AND I know those same people next season will say that 'you can't count the Keita deal because it was done the season before' just to have a go at FSG for no F***ing reason. We wanted to sign Keita. We signed Keita. Target achieved

SECONDARY GOALS:
      This could be an endless list but I'll try and keep it limited to transfers and squad building for the sake of this thread, apologies if I've missed any:

* Strengthen the left back position
      * Strengthen squad depth due to increase in games, this done by:
            * Giving youth a chance
            * Shave off 'deadwood'

The left back role was filled well by James Milner last season, he played nearly every game and it got us back into the top 4. I think saying that he was good isn't too much of a stretch. He wasn't setting the world on fire, but at the same time he was a very safe pair of hands in that role. Robertson looks like an attacking threat and we've yet to really see if he's an improvement. Moreno has been given a new lease on life which has hampered Robertson slightly. Chamberlin can play there, but I wouldn't expect to see him in that role. Too early to tell with this one, not a failure but we cannot say it's a success either. Inconclusive

The squad now is better than it was, simple as that. The signing of Salah has been a revelation and Chamberlin will be a very good addition in my eyes, especially because of the broad spectrum of positions he can play. We look like giving youth a good chance too, players like Gomez, Grujic, Solanke and Woodburn have featured to some extent and TAA looks like he will be a star. As they develop the need to strengthen the positions they play will decrease. We've also managed to trim the fat so to speak. Lucas, Sahko, Fulton, Stewart and Hart never had a long term future here and we got around the £40million mark for them, good business. Also loans to people like Origi and Kent may just be what they need, however I think if you're having to go out on loan, there is little chance you'll make it at your parent club, but we'll see. Overall, this squad > last years. Target achieved

I'm not happy we didn't sign VvD or any other centre back for that matter. If we did we would have had an A+ window for sure. I'm not prepared to call this window a complete failure because of that one missed target but I will have to drop my overall rating quite substantially to a: B
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: The 2017 Summer Transfer Window Review and Rating
      Reply #1: Sep 01, 2017 08:09:46 pm
      The only target we missed out on was VVD, so it must be deemed a good window.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2: Sep 01, 2017 08:15:32 pm
      I was not going to get a Liverpool shirt because of the Western Union logo, but now I know Markovic is staying I changed my mind and get myself Markovic on the back.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Sep 01, 2017 08:16:33 pm
      I was not going to get a Liverpool shirt because of the Western Union logo, but now I know Markovic is staying I changed my mind and get myself Markovic on the back.

I completely forgot Markovic was a person I'm going to be honest.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #4: Sep 01, 2017 09:39:15 pm
      I'll play. 

In my opinion, our priorities entering the summer were, in this order:

Wide Forward:  A player to add competition and depth for Mane.  We were desperately short of quality width when Sadio was at ACON and during his injury.  Salah looks like one of the steals of the summer.  Rating:  10/10

Center Back:  We needed a commanding CB who can organize the defense as we have lacked leadership at the back since Carra retired.  Not only did we not sign the player who was seemingly Klopp's #1 target (VVD), we failed to sign an alternative and sold off one of the experienced players who helped fill that position last season when we had our injury problems (Lucas).  Rating:  0/10

Left Back:  The intent should have been to sign a player to slot straight into the 1st choice role.  Theoretically, it should have been an easy task as last season we had a 30 year old RM playing at LB.  Instead, we signed a young lad with potential who seemingly isn't succeeding at ousting Moreno from the 1st choice spot.  Berto is playing better this season and Andy may well still turn out to be a very good signing, but the initial feeling is that we failed to do what needed to be done and this should have been an easy fix.  Rating:  5/10

Striker:  Solanke looks like a potential steal, but the key word here is "potential"...  He probably isn't anywhere close to being ready to lead the line on a consistent basis for a title challenging team.  It won't surprise anyone to see Studge only fit for 50% of the season, we loaned out Origi, and Ings hasn't played at top level in almost 2 years.  We could be 1 injury to Bobby away from having a 20 year old as our main striker.  I'm very excited about Solanke and happy to have him, but we look vulnerable at this position.  Rating:  5/10

Attacking Midfield / Winger:  We needed additional quality depth in the CAM / RW / LW positions.  The Ox seems like a very good option to provide competition and depth in those roles.  Also, the fact he pissed off both Arsenal and Chelsea while signing for us just makes this signing even sweeter.  Rating:  10/10

So, a total score of 30/50, or an average score of 6/10.  I will throw in a bonus point for getting the Keita deal done, even though it doesn't help us this term -- final score of 7/10.  Not exactly a stellar window, especially when you consider that we were supposed to have a "war chest" to spend after having a net gain last summer, the new tv money, and CL funds to work with.

That aside, I still think Klopp has the necessary tools for us to compete in both the league and CL, but some of the same issues we faced last year are still present -- lack of quality depth at CB and potentially at ST.  A few injuries could put us right in the sh*t.  However, if we are as fortunate with injuries this term as Chelsea were last year, then we may end up with a few trophies.  Crazy how thin the margins can be. 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2017 09:45:39 pm
      I'll play. 

In my opinion, our priorities entering the summer were, in this order:

Wide Forward:  A player to add competition and depth for Mane.  We were desperately short of quality width when Sadio was at ACON and during his injury.  Salah looks like one of the steals of the summer.  Rating:  10/10

Center Back:  We needed a commanding CB who can organize the defense as we have lacked leadership at the back since Carra retired.  Not only did we not sign the player who was seemingly Klopp's #1 target (VVD), we failed to sign an alternative and sold off one of the experienced players who helped fill that position last season when we had our injury problems (Lucas).  Rating:  0/10

Left Back:  The intent should have been to sign a player to slot straight into the 1st choice role.  Theoretically, it should have been an easy task as last season we had a 30 year old RM playing at LB.  Instead, we signed a young lad with potential who seemingly isn't succeeding at ousting Moreno from the 1st choice spot.  Berto is playing better this season and Andy may well still turn out to be a very good signing, but the initial feeling is that we failed to do what needed to be done and this should have been an easy fix.  Rating:  5/10

Striker:  Solanke looks like a potential steal, but the key word here is "potential"...  He probably isn't anywhere close to being ready to lead the line on a consistent basis for a title challenging team.  It won't surprise anyone to see Studge only fit for 50% of the season, we loaned out Origi, and Ings hasn't played at top level in almost 2 years.  We could be 1 injury to Bobby away from having a 20 year old as our main striker.  I'm very excited about Solanke and happy to have him, but we look vulnerable at this position.  Rating:  5/10

Attacking Midfield / Winger:  We needed additional quality depth in the CAM / RW / LW positions.  The Ox seems like a very good option to provide competition and depth in those roles.  Also, the fact he pissed off both Arsenal and Chelsea while signing for us just makes this signing even sweeter.  Rating:  10/10

So, a total score of 30/50, or an average score of 6/10.  I will throw in a bonus point for getting the Keita deal done, even though it doesn't help us this term -- final score of 7/10.  Not exactly a stellar window, especially when you consider that we were supposed to have a "war chest" to spend after having a net gain last summer, the new tv money, and CL funds to work with.

That aside, I still think Klopp has the necessary tools for us to compete in both the league and CL, but some of the same issues we faced last year are still present -- lack of quality depth at CB and potentially at ST.  A few injuries could put us right in the sh*t.  However, if we are as fortunate with injuries this term as Chelsea were last year, then we may end up with a few trophies.  Crazy how thin the margins can be. 

Bout right Harry
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Sep 01, 2017 09:54:35 pm
      Had we signed VVD or any centre half of the required quality it was a window that  would have me thinking well come close here.

Left back sorted. Centre mid added to. Salah a foil for Mane Solanke something different up front. All good bar that one position.

I just cant believe we had one option to run with and if we did i cant believe we cocked it up early on.

Saying that look at the champions, look at Arsenal. Its not a bad window by any stretch. Just feel we didnt do the one thing that was a must and fear itll be the difference in May.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #7: Sep 01, 2017 10:29:19 pm
      Agree with most posted above.
      Not a bad window
      Cleared out a few
      Signed one certain starter, a couple of premier league proven squad players and a youngster I have high hopes for
      BUT still haven't signed a world class CB.
      All in all, not a bad window. Could have been better but certainly could have been a lot worse.
      Give it a 7/10 rating
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #8: Sep 01, 2017 10:55:17 pm
      We're one injury/suspension away from Ragnar Klavan at centre back. Let that sink in and tell me we're a club that is set up to win trophies
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #9: Sep 01, 2017 11:02:22 pm
      We're one injury/suspension away from Ragnar Klavan at centre back. Let that sink in and tell me we're a club that is set up to win trophies

Don't worry Phil can fill in at CB if needed.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #10: Sep 01, 2017 11:10:25 pm

It's like an echo chamber in here..people throwing 7s 8s B+ B- for a window in which we failed to adress the biggest problem we have and more important before most of the transfers even kicked a ball for more than 5 games.
      The exact same thing happened last year..a window in which we failed to adress the biggest problems in the squad..a failure masked by a strong start of the season; we'll see by Christmas if this was a good window.

And by the way if you would've said back in April that we would've ended with Salah,Aoc and Robertson you would've been mocked by a lot of people..people that now give them 10/10 grades :roll:
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #11: Sep 02, 2017 12:05:06 am
      Don't worry Phil can fill in at CB if needed.

Last year Man Utd at one point had Jones,Smalling,Rojo,Bailly all injured. I can't even think who played for them Blind and another. That's 4 injuries. If we get one it's Klavan. If we get 2 it's Joe Gomez. If we get three I don't have a clue who it would be and yet we can ship an international class defender out on deadline day for £20M+ I think it's a completely unnecessary risk I can't understand it. I don't think he's anything special but I'd be much happier with Mustafi than AOC from Arsenal. Klopp better pray Lovern and Matip stay fit until the New Year but you're pushing 25 games between now any then they hardly played that whole of last season
      « Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017 12:09:22 am by Alfie2510 »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #12: Sep 02, 2017 12:08:44 am

Last year Man Utd at one point had Jones,Smalling,Rojo,Bailly all injured. I can't even think who played for them Blind and another. That's 4 injuries. If we get one it's Klavan. If we get 2 it's Joe Gomez. If we get three I don't have a clue who it would be and yet we can ship an international class defender out on deadline day for £20M+ I think it's a completely unnecessary risk I can't understand it. I don't think he's anything special but I'd be much happier with Mustafi than AOC from Arsenal. Klopp better pray Lovern and Matip stay fit until the New Year

Who was the international class defender we shipped out?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #13: Sep 02, 2017 12:11:35 am
      Who was the international class defender we shipped out?

Sakho before the drug ban wasn't just in the French squad for Euro 16 he was in the first 11. If that's not int class, ahead of Varane in the eyes of Deshamps who has won a WC then I don't know what is
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,866 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Sep 02, 2017 12:11:56 am
      Salah - an ace signing, who's up to the premier speed already
      Robertson - Looks good, natural left footer, great crosses, good shots as highlighted by his goal for Scotland
      Solanke - I like what I have seen so far, seems to read the game well
      The OX - Good addition, Klopp wanted him and I believe will make him a better player
      Keita - Awesome player, shame we have to wait, will boss the midfield

Missing out on VVD is a glaring own goal, surely there was someone else out there who could do equally as good a job, a lot more games this season, hope this area doesn't cost us, perhaps this coming January any holes will be plugged unlike last season.

Overall 7.5/10

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Sep 02, 2017 12:12:33 am

Last year Man Utd at one point had Jones,Smalling,Rojo,Bailly all injured. I can't even think who played for them Blind and another. That's 4 injuries. If we get one it's Klavan. If we get 2 it's Joe Gomez. If we get three I don't have a clue who it would be and yet we can ship an international class defender out on deadline day for £20M+ I think it's a completely unnecessary risk I can't understand it. I don't think he's anything special but I'd be much happier with Mustafi than AOC from Arsenal. Klopp better pray Lovern and Matip stay fit until the New Year but you're pushing 25 games between now any then they hardly played that whole of last season

So you'd rather we forced Klopp to keep and play a player who disrespected him and his team mates.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #16: Sep 02, 2017 12:15:12 am
      So you'd rather we forced Klopp to keep and play a player who disrespected him and his team mates.

Yes unless he's prepared to replace him. Someone a week ago should have had the gumption to say to Klopp - Jürgen VVD is not happening and we're not going into a season with 3 centre backs (one of whom is Ragnar Klavan) so pick someone from this list or one will be picked for you
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17: Sep 02, 2017 12:19:40 am
      Sakho before the drug ban wasn't just in the French squad for Euro 16 he was in the first 11. If that's not int class, ahead of Varane in the eyes of Deshamps who has won a WC then I don't know what is

meh 4 meaninglessly friendly matches for France in the past 2 years...he's more of a world class goofball than a world class defender now a days....Should be banned just for his wardrobe choices.

PSG fu**ed him off...we fu**ed him off...evidently two of the larger clubs in the world wanted no part of him...hence Crystal Palace..I'd say he was on a downward trajectory.

Balotelli is an Italian national ...maybe we should have kept him too  :lmao:

They share the same haircut and wardrobe...might have been cheaper having him an Mama bunking together over at the palatial estate.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #18: Sep 02, 2017 12:23:08 am
      meh 4 meaninglessly friendly matches for France in the past 2 years...he's more of a world class goofball than a world class defender now a days....Should be banned just for his wardrobe choices.

PSG fu**ed him off...we fu**ed him off...evidently two of the larger clubs in the world wanted no part of him...hence Crystal Palace..I'd say he was on a downward trajectory.

He's better than f***in Ragnar Klavan. Jürgen obviously wants a squad of dandys that think he's superman and want for nothing more than their after match hug and high five
      Just wait until Klavan gets torn to bits this season because I guarantee it'll happen he's bang average at very best
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #19: Sep 02, 2017 12:24:21 am
      He's better than f***in Ragnar Klavan. Jürgen obviously wants a squad of dandys that think he's superman and want for nothing more than their after match hug and high five

Ah...In your opinion he is better than Ragnar Klavan....obviously some disagree with you.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #20: Sep 02, 2017 12:25:02 am
      Ah...In your opinion he is better than Ragnar Klavan....obviously some disagree with you.

Who?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #21: Sep 02, 2017 12:26:15 am

Let me see.....Hmm Jürgen Klopp disagrees with you.

Hence Ragnar wears a Liverpool Jersey and Sakho wears a Crystal Palace kit.

Simples
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #22: Sep 02, 2017 12:33:31 am
      Let me see.....Hmm Jürgen Klopp disagrees with you.

Hence Ragnar wears a Liverpool Jersey and Sakho wears a Crystal Palace kit.

Simples

I think it is apparent that Sakho's exclusion at Liverpool was nothing to do with his ability or lack of. If you want to tell me Klavan is a better player than him let's agree to disagree and let's await the next time we concede 3s and 4s at your Watfords and Bournemouths of the PL, can't wait.
      Sakho for his failings was one of the most aerially dominant defenders we've had in many years. We can't defend set pieces for the life of us, but let's get rid of him all the same

Quick Reply