Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Squad depth 2017

Read 4522 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Squad depth 2017
      Sep 02, 2017 10:17:34 am
      Just been looking at our squad for the season and for the first time in a long time we can almost put out two squads of seasoned professionals providing every one is fit.

It may not be massive quality depth but probably enough quality to get us through the earlier rounds of the lesser cups (depending on opponent), which means there should be ample rest time for our first XI.   

I can also see it resulting in lesser game time for some of our youngsters but the likes of Flanno, Markovic, maybe even Ings need to be put in the shop window if they don't have a future here.   

Overall I'm happy looking at the depth as it shows progression/ambition and Rome wasn't built in a day, would have been better had we got a Center back, however if we quality for Champions league again, there's no reason not to build on these foundations.                           

Mignolet

Clyne                   Matip                      Lovren              Robertson

Coutinho            Henderson                Lallana

Salah                  Firminho                   Mane

Karius

Flanagan             Klavan                    Gomez                Moreno

Gini                 Milner                    Can

Markovic          Sturridge               OX

Ward

Bogdan

Jones

Ings

Grugic

Alexander-Arnold

Brannagan

Brewster

Ejaria

Grabara 

Solanke

Wilson

Woodburn

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017 08:45:14 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Squad depth 2017
      Reply #1: Sep 02, 2017 10:41:24 am
      Just been looking at our squad for the season and for the first time in a long time we can almost put out two squads of seasoned professionals providing every one is fit.

It may not be massive quality depth but probably enough quality to get us through the earlier rounds of the lesser cups (depending on opponent), which means there should be ample rest time for our first XI.   

I can also see it resulting in lesser game time for some of our youngsters but the likes of Flanno, Markovic, maybe even Ings need to be put in the shop window if they don't have a future here.   

Overall I'm happy looking at the depth as it shows progression/ambition and Rome wasn't built in a day, would have been better had we got a Center back, however if we quality for Champions league again, there's no reason not to build on these foundations.                           

Mignolet

Clyne                   Matip                      Lovren              Robertson

Firminho

Karius

Markovic          Grujic                   OX

Sturridge

Ward

Bogdan

Jones

Ings

Alexander-Arnold

Brannagan

Brewster

Ejaria

Grabara 

Solanke

Wilson

Woodburn

That second team defence scares the sh*t out of me just looking at it! 😄

We should probably give Salah a few games too mate 😉

I think it'll be a little bit of mix and match when it comes to the early round of the cups. Apart form CB were not to bad overall.
      « Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017 10:55:28 am by ORCHARD RED »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2: Sep 02, 2017 11:06:40 am

Mignolet

Firminho

Karius

Markovic          Grujic                   OX

Sturridge

Ward

Bogdan

Jones

Ings

Alexander-Arnold

Brannagan

Brewster

Ejaria

Grabara 

Solanke

Wilson

Woodburn

Mignolet couldn't catch a cold. Karius doing nothing to silence his criticis and convince people he's heir apparent. Robertson, a defender even Klopp admits isn't terribly good at defending. Coutinho, a player who spat his dummy out and cried off with a sore back only to do the Macarena in Maracana during international duty. Lovren and Moreno who both appear to suffer from ADHD, and Matip who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. I could go on but I won't, the point is whilst we certain have depth, we still lack depth of quality in many areas. We've made strides but we could and should have done better in the window. Hopefully we'll consolidate our place in the Champions League this season and buy them in next year.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #3: Sep 02, 2017 12:43:15 pm
      I'm just hoping Gomez can become a little gem in CB this year, then I'd be quite happy I guess with the depth.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #4: Sep 02, 2017 05:03:21 pm
      I'm just hoping Gomez can become a little gem in CB this year, then I'd be quite happy I guess with the depth.

Assuming Klopp lettuce Lovren sit on the bench kos he's sh*t     ;D.......

.....see what I did there  ;)

YNWA
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Sep 02, 2017 08:57:02 pm
      Mignolet couldn't catch a cold. Karius doing nothing to silence his criticis and convince people he's heir apparent. Robertson, a defender even Klopp admits isn't terribly good at defending. Coutinho, a player who spat his dummy out and cried off with a sore back only to do the Macarena in Maracana during international duty. Lovren and Moreno who both appear to suffer from ADHD, and Matip who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. I could go on but I won't, the point is whilst we certain have depth, we still lack depth of quality in many areas. We've made strides but we could and should have done better in the window. Hopefully we'll consolidate our place in the Champions League this season and buy them in next year.

Try and instill a bit of positivity... :D

No one doubts in 'Some area's' we lack quality in depth, but having some depth and quality in the first XI is a progression, maybe not as quick as we'd all like to progress but as stated in the opening post, Rome wasn't built in a day.

If as you say we consolidate our position in the Champions League then we'll add further quality, I'm excited watching our progress under Klopp and providing he doesn't go full Brendan Rodgers we should consolidate our position given the squad he has to work with this year.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Sep 02, 2017 08:59:03 pm
      We should probably give Salah a few games too mate

Missed Mane out too :D

Was in a rush this morning, edited OP..
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Sep 03, 2017 10:12:36 am
      Overall I'm happy looking at the depth as it shows progression/ambition and Rome wasn't built in a day
      No mate, it wasn't...

Still building it aren't they? 1 million plus days and counting. 😉

"Rome wasn't built in a day" ...big J.W. likes this 👍
      -----------------------------------
      A football quiz: baseball fans may want to change channels - How many times have we won the European cup in Rome? Answers on a postcard to...

Any Liverpool fan. P.O. box 1977/84.
       -----------------------------------
      History now: Rome; last sacked in June 1944 by... ?

Spooky. 😁
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2017 10:16:57 am by bad boy bubby »
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #8: Sep 03, 2017 10:13:55 am
      Looking at squad depth now looks ok in areas of the pitch where we were weak in previous seasons. Full back positions look ok now and we can also rotate in certain games.

Mignolet is still No.1 whether we like it or not. He's saved us on many occasion and for me I think a lot of keepers would flap when we play the way we play. The high line and zonal marking doesn't fill me with confidence let alone the keeper. Karius needs games, I don't think Klopp would of bought him if he thought he was that weak a keeper. He had rave reviews at his previous club and the price we paid looks like a bargin, he needs time.

Our centre back quartet is looking our weakest part at the moment. Klaven looks ok on a 1 or 2 game run and then seems to run out of steam. Matip is probably the strongest but can't stay fit for long periods of time. Lovren, I've always said looks better as a RCB and I'll just stand by that. Gomez has promise but has not been tested and he needs to be if Klopp has the faith in him like he has said in the past.

Full back positions has lots of competition now. We need to give Robertson time to bed in. Moreno is Moreno but looks to have improved slightly. Clyde is due to come back and having competition in TAA will improve him I think. TAA and Flanno as competition also so looks promising.

Lots of options in midfield now. Can and Henderson for that DLPM role and the inclusion of the OX will keep wijnaldum,lallana,grujic on their toes....oh and that Brazilian player can play there as well.

Keeping that front 3 of Mane, Firmino and Salah fit will be key but there's good competition up there as well.

Looks ok to me could of been better with at least 1 CB but we've got what we've got which looks better than last season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #9: Sep 03, 2017 10:47:49 am
      We've made strides but we could and should have done better in the window.
      Indeed and although its nice to be optimistic, there's no need to gloss over that fact.

In a window where money was no object; with the double lure of Champions league football and Jürgen Klopp: we opted, yet again, for the 'Value for money' option.

Want to look at lists of players? Check out every player we've bought since 2010. All bought on the basis of 'VfM'.

Most - pure pish.
      Some [the ones that keep us "challenging"] - average or just above. Few - high end, sought after, either sold or going to be to find the next round of punts.

List them. Place them in order and you'll understand why £500m+, 7 years, 3 managers and 1 DoF later we are still waiting for Rome a 'full quality squad' to be built. Why we are still in transition.

The original £250m + £0m (further investment) however? 7 years on = £1bn. 😉

Catch you all later.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Sep 03, 2017 08:01:27 pm
      Center back is our problem position, still.

Everything I have seen from Gomez so far this season tells me he is much more comfortable at right back than at center back.

Also Markovic in that 2nd team is just wrong. Woodburn and probably Harry Wilson would play with a 2nd group before Lazar would, but it would Sturridge, Solanke and Ox in the front three, or if Ox is in midfield, than Woodburn. I was surprised when Ryan Kent was sent on loan for this reason.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Sep 04, 2017 01:23:57 am
      Everything I have seen from Gomez so far this season tells me he is much more comfortable at right back than at center back.

I'm the opposite.

He looked out of his depth when one-on-one against Arsenal's wide men. They stood him up and powered past him with pace.

But his tackling is so efficient and his passing is very good coming out from the back. Plus he's big and strong.

I think our squad is good. For the EPL it's really good just because the league is so poor. In Europe I think we're a chance against anybody barring two or three side in a two-legged game. Excited to see how we go.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Sep 04, 2017 02:47:29 pm
      I'm the opposite.

He looked out of his depth when one-on-one against Arsenal's wide men. They stood him up and powered past him with pace.

But his tackling is so efficient and his passing is very good coming out from the back. Plus he's big and strong.

I think our squad is good. For the EPL it's really good just because the league is so poor. In Europe I think we're a chance against anybody barring two or three side in a two-legged game. Excited to see how we go.

I agree with everything you said except the Gomez part.  :) I should have said preseason, as that's where I've seen him at right back most, but he did well there against Palace. Has he played center back during the season yet?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13: Sep 04, 2017 02:59:54 pm

Assuming Klopp lettuce Lovren sit on the bench kos he's sh*t     ;D.......

.....see what I did there  ;)

YNWA

Yes, but not entirely sure why you did it ;-)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Sep 04, 2017 03:28:21 pm

Mignolet

Salah                  Firminho                   Mane

Karius

Markovic          Sturridge               OX

Ward

Bogdan

Jones

Ings

Grugic

Alexander-Arnold

Brannagan

Brewster

Ejaria

Grabara 

Solanke

Wilson

Woodburn

Glad you've added Mane and Salah to the team,
      but Flanagan ahead of TAA? No chance.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: Sep 04, 2017 05:50:06 pm
      Flanagan ahead of TAA? No chance.

As stated in operating post, almost 2 squads of 'seasoned' professionals, the youth lads are there to show how much depth we do have this season..
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16: Sep 04, 2017 06:12:58 pm
      Yes, but not entirely sure why you did it ;-)

Because 'Alwaysthekop' said Gomez was a little Gem......

Geddit?   ;D

YNWA
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #17: Sep 04, 2017 06:23:22 pm
      Depth wise I think we look good in all departments but defense, considering where we have come from in the past few seasons.  This is definitely the best squad since Rafa was here.   We are weak in defence and we should really be looking at this position in January especially if we get to a good start. 

Like most I am happy with all departments but Goal Keeper and Central defense in which we don't really have players  that are good enough for the first team.   
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #18: Sep 07, 2017 12:00:50 am
      This is definitely the best squad since Rafa was here.

Interesting.  Something I hadn't really thought about till you mentioned.

But after looking again at the 13/14 squad
      https://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2013/liverpool-submit-full-2013-14-squad-list-premier-league/

I think you might be right. Amazing really that that squad went so far (although no cup distractions must have been very helpful in hindsight).

Johnson - Kolo - Skrtel - Flanagan (Most used back four that season).
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #19: Sep 07, 2017 12:20:05 am
      Interesting.  Something I hadn't really thought about till you mentioned.

But after looking again at the 13/14 squad
      https://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2013/liverpool-submit-full-2013-14-squad-list-premier-league/

I think you might be right. Amazing really that that squad went so far (although no cup distractions must have been very helpful in hindsight).

Johnson - Kolo - Skrtel - Flanagan (Most used back four that season).

The power of 2 immense strikers hitting having their best years ever at the same time and at the same club.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #20: Sep 08, 2017 08:53:42 am
      I was thinking about it yesterday and thought to myself that it was a really good squad. We don't over-rely on anyone.

Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino, Salah, Ox, Sturridge, Ings, Solanke and Mane can form he front trio and it can hurt any team.

As for midfield, we've got Milner, Can, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Hendo, Coutinho or Ox who can do the job.

It's Klopp's role to use the players properly now.

The only issue I see is Lovren: I hope Gomez becomes a good CB and begins to impose himself as a starter.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #21: Sep 08, 2017 09:57:14 am
      I was thinking about it yesterday and thought to myself that it was a really good squad. We don't over-rely on anyone.

Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino, Salah, Ox, Sturridge, Ings, Solanke and Mane can form he front trio and it can hurt any team.

As for midfield, we've got Milner, Can, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Hendo, Coutinho or Ox who can do the job.

It's Klopp's role to use the players properly now.

The only issue I see is Lovren: I hope Gomez becomes a good CB and begins to impose himself as a starter.

Sorry to pick just the highlighted bit but we rely heavily on Mane, Firmino and now Salah. If Mane or Firmino are not playing then were shitting ourselves.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: Sep 08, 2017 10:12:55 am
      Sorry to pick just the highlighted bit but we rely heavily on Mane, Firmino and now Salah.

Not one person though is it, think that was his point.  Lallana, Coutinho, Sturridge, even Solanke and Woodburn can add some reshuffle in the creative areas. 

If there's a position were healthier in than we have been for a fair while then it's probably those front 3 or 4 players in the team.

Having said that - an injury-free season would be handy - especially with the levels of rotation we're likely to see this season.

Quick Reply