Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Squad depth 2017

Read 4561 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Squad depth 2017
      Reply #23: Sep 08, 2017 10:24:36 am
      Sorry to pick just the highlighted bit but we rely heavily on Mane, Firmino and now Salah. If Mane or Firmino are not playing then were shitting ourselves.

Jaysus lad.

It's a massive improvement on being reliant on a crocked Sturridge.
      Now we have Sturridge off the bench (Solanke as an understudy) and arguably the best attack in the league.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #24: Sep 08, 2017 10:40:45 am
      Apart from proven central defensive cover, I believe this is the strongest squad we've had in many years.  Can field 2 good sides in terms of midfield and attack. 
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #25: Sep 08, 2017 10:54:24 am
      Mignolet couldn't catch a cold. Karius doing nothing to silence his criticis and convince people he's heir apparent. Robertson, a defender even Klopp admits isn't terribly good at defending. Coutinho, a player who spat his dummy out and cried off with a sore back only to do the Macarena in Maracana during international duty. Lovren and Moreno who both appear to suffer from ADHD, and Matip who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. I could go on but I won't, the point is whilst we certain have depth, we still lack depth of quality in many areas. We've made strides but we could and should have done better in the window. Hopefully we'll consolidate our place in the Champions League this season and buy them in next year.

Mate - Klopp didn't say Robertson wasn't very good st defending.

He said he had to learn how to fit into the system - not the same thing.

He's a very offensive full-back and does have to work on recovery and working across a defensive line - but this lad isn't Moreno. He has a good brain and is good 121.

As regards the OP.......with the exception of CB and CF I think we've more depth than we've had in quite a while......but it's hard not to be frustrated that we're dealing in the "it looks better" rather than "F**k me we're strong" with the money Jürgen "should" have available.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #26: Sep 08, 2017 02:05:36 pm
      Squad size is much better.

Better depth and better selection especially if we hit a run of injuries.

Klopp is buying quality players not "team" or "squad" like TPM used to grade them.
      « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2017 06:44:33 pm by MIRO »
      Kopite78
      Reply #27: Sep 08, 2017 02:44:00 pm
      Squad size is much better.

Better depth and better selection expecially if we hit a run of injuries.

Klopp is buying quality players not "team" or "squad" like TPM used to grade them.

I think one of the main  differences between Klopp and Rodgers is simply their experience and conviction

I think one  of the things that a lot worried about when BR got the job was his inexperience to get the role so early on and one of the things that supports this is the evidence of transfer business.

Brendan didn't seem to stand up for himself as much on transfers, and maybe bent too much with suggestions given to him which Klopp doesn't seem to do.
      Klopp has only signed 12 players if you include Manninger and Caulker in 4 potential Windows, so that's an average of 3 players per window.
      Rodgers signed 34 players in 6 potential Windows which is (rounded up) 6 players per window.
      Klopp seems to be more of a man who says I have my targets who improve us and that's who I want and no I don't want a Balotelli to make do. He's signed his players like Salah, Mane, Chamberlain etc etc and sticks to what he wants to work with, by all reports the only ones he's taken from others advice is Solanke and Caulker (loan)
      Rodgers seemed to get his players, Allen, Benteke, Lovren whoever but alot of 'commitee' signings slipped through the net too.. The likes of Balotelli, Assaidi, Yesil, Illori, Markovic,  Alberto, Aspas etc etc etc
      You can't see Klopp allowing that and swelling tge squad with sh*te which we have done far too much of over the years.

Klopp has already let 22 go, Rodgers let 37 go..

That's far too big a turn around in squad in recent times and we need someone who is strong enough not to have players put upon him. What I want more than anything is a strong idea of the end ideal and stability in goals for the squad.

Another window or two and I think we will have an absolutely brilliant squad
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #28: Sep 09, 2017 04:00:52 am

Klopp has already let 22 go, Rodgers let 37 go

Those numbers are astounding.
      Ridiculous number of players in such a short period.
      Just shows how rudderless our transfer strategy has been for so long that so many players had to be moved on.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #29: Sep 09, 2017 06:31:18 am
      I think one of the main  differences between Klopp and Rodgers is simply their experience and conviction

I think one  of the things that a lot worried about when BR got the job was his inexperience to get the role so early on and one of the things that supports this is the evidence of transfer business.

Brendan didn't seem to stand up for himself as much on transfers, and maybe bent too much with suggestions given to him which Klopp doesn't seem to do.
      Klopp has only signed 12 players if you include Manninger and Caulker in 4 potential Windows, so that's an average of 3 players per window.
      Rodgers signed 34 players in 6 potential Windows which is (rounded up) 6 players per window.
      Klopp seems to be more of a man who says I have my targets who improve us and that's who I want and no I don't want a Balotelli to make do. He's signed his players like Salah, Mane, Chamberlain etc etc and sticks to what he wants to work with, by all reports the only ones he's taken from others advice is Solanke and Caulker (loan)
      Rodgers seemed to get his players, Allen, Benteke, Lovren whoever but alot of 'commitee' signings slipped through the net too.. The likes of Balotelli, Assaidi, Yesil, Illori, Markovic,  Alberto, Aspas etc etc etc
      You can't see Klopp allowing that and swelling tge squad with sh*te which we have done far too much of over the years.

Klopp has already let 22 go, Rodgers let 37 go..

That's far too big a turn around in squad in recent times and we need someone who is strong enough not to have players put upon him. What I want more than anything is a strong idea of the end ideal and stability in goals for the squad.

Another window or two and I think we will have an absolutely brilliant squad

Great post, of which I'll add that it seems Klopp has a clear vision of what he wants and who he needs for it to happen, where Rodgers chuntered along initially relying on the likes of Suarez, Gerrard, once Suarez left Rodgers was left with no real idea of what kind of style to stick with and players signed without due diligence,

Think your spot on mate, another window or two could see us with a squad capable of title's and tin regularly, including CL.

YNWA
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #30: Sep 09, 2017 08:43:53 am
      Lots of rotation this season in think, which is something we haven't been able to do for a while. The CL, I think Klopp will try and keep as strong as possible. Looks like Karius will get his chance here and other cup games which is good because he needs games to build up some confidence. Full backs will be rotated but I think we,'ll try and keep Matip and Lovren as our main CB pairing for as mush as possible. Good options in midfield now aswell with the inclusion of the Ox Personally i think we,ll see him more on either wing than anywhere else but he can be used in midfield until Lallana and Coutinho come back. One thing we,'ll get from the Ox is that he likes to run at a player and it will suit him to cut inside, like Mane and Salah, rather than run down the line and cross in as this seems to be a weak part in his game for me. If we are looking good to get out of our CL group then theres the chance use the squad there aswell. I,m quietly confident, we,'re looking ok at the minute. The one thing we don't need is a lot of injuries, let's hope we,'re lucky this season. No AFCON aswell, players playing to get into thier respective World Cup squads....I,m looking forward to this season more than most...it looks exciting.

Quick Reply