Trending Topics

Pre Match - Man City vs. Liverpool - 9th Sept. 12:30 GMT (Let the Games Resume)

Read 9174 times
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Re: Pre Match - Man City vs. Liverpool - 9th Sept. 12:30 GMT (Let the Games Resume)
      Reply #23: Sep 06, 2017 08:11:11 pm
      Just don't lose and I am happy. I think City will play careful to neutralize our fast counter attack. That will mean the game won't be fun to watch since teams will neutralize each other in midfield, the rest will be day's luck. My bet: 1-1 and if offered to me right now I'd take it and I think 99% of you all would do the same, wouldn't u?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Pre Match - Man City vs. Liverpool - 9th Sept. 12:30 GMT (Let the Games Resume)
      Reply #24: Sep 06, 2017 08:26:26 pm
      We are a strong attacking unit [from back to front] and solid in midfield; City will not have it easy agin us. Can we outscore them?

With our more 'straight for the jugular' style and them not being afraid to attack; I'm going to say yes.

On a personal note, I'd like to see Andy and Ben get starts but reckon that we will definitely see Andy start. Another Reds win. 😎
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #25: Sep 06, 2017 08:31:19 pm
      He's a snake but he should go straight back in.

Coutinho looked F***ing sharp for Brazil
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #26: Sep 06, 2017 09:19:32 pm
      SO glad to have a football match to talk about again. And a big'un as well.

Could be a cracker. I see Bobby is starting tonight in Brazil and with this an early kickoff Saturday, I wonder if Sturridge might get the nod to start. Do Mane and Salah have games tonight as well?

Yeah after playing a couple of times a week and playing well too these breaks are horrible. Haven't watched a single international match, they really don't interest me at all. I know some will say you can see how people like AOC are doing etc but I don't find international form, especially England, translates to club football. Gerrard used to look pretty ordinary in a lot of England games and then bossed it for us the games either side so those that are jumping on Alex's back because of it might want to let the lad run out for us first before we cast any judgements.

With regards City, this is obviously one of our tougher games and also the circumstances; on the back of internationals; privately flying Coutinho back, meaning very little training to solve the obvious issues his transfer saga has caused. Having said that I still believe we'll come away with at least a draw, anything better and of course we'll be tanking along.

I'd start Coutinho, as good as our 3 midfield looked against Arsenal we mustn't lose sight of the fact that Arsenal were also extremely poor, which I don't expect City to be. I'm not sure Jürgen will have such an easy time with that decision though, while of course he'll look to reintegrate him into the first team quickly, immediately could send the wrong message to the other lads. This is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't scenarios in my opinion because there are so many things which could go wrong with it, even Coutinho scoring the winner might not reflect so well on the boss, that he simply has to do what he deems right above all else. FWIW I think he'll start him, City are a title favourite for a reason and if we can get 3 points there then it'll obviously boost our chances and dent there's tremendously, but at the same time it'll send a real message to the rest of the league. 

Mig
        Gomez  Matip  Lovren Moreno
                   Henderson
                  Can Coutinho
              Salah  Firmino Mane

Away from home I think it should be Gini that misses out from those two, harsh on the lad judged on only the last game, but judged on his away performances this season, and last, then it's more than justified.

3-1 to the Redmen.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27: Sep 07, 2017 02:07:31 pm
      Yep I'd start Coutinho too. He's been a little sh!t but he remains our best player, and we can't expect Mane to carry the flag every single match.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #28: Sep 07, 2017 05:19:06 pm
      Love the confidence but i would take a scrappy 0-1 90min deflection going off Lovren's arse now.

Will be a tough game no doubt about it as they are a quality side going forward and the less said about our defence the better. Having said that we showed signs of defensive stability against Arse, ok I know they were pish.

City themselves are just as vulnerable defensively as we are and attack seems to be our best form of defence.

Would be unfair on any of those who started against Arse to be dropped, however there is a case for Coutinho to come back in as Gini is usually useless away from home but think Jürgen will have him on the bench and let him earn his way back as a starter.
      Would be a toss up between AOC and Milner who gets the bench position, there again Milner can cover a variety of positions.

Robertson should also also provide more defensive cover than Moreno.

Hopefully TAA is back to fitness.

Hopefully Firmino is over the jet lag otherwise Sturridge will have to lead the line, I prefer to see Daniel coming on against tired legs in the second half.

Migs
      TAA
      Matip
      Lovren
      Robertson

Hendo
      Can
      Gini

Salah
      Mane
      Firmino
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #29: Sep 07, 2017 05:24:06 pm
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #30: Sep 07, 2017 06:57:50 pm
      Full backs are key and I think we'll start with Gomez-Robertson on Sat and TAA-Moreno on Wednesday! If Kompany is unfit, thats music for our front 3 to exploit Stones-Otamendi. They'll probably play a 4-1-4-1 with Fernandinho sometimes acting as the 3rd CB.

Dont think Cou will make it to the 18..

Mane-Bobby-Salah
      Gini-Hendo-Can
      Robbo-Lovren-Matip-Gomez
      Migs

Subs- Karius, TAA, Klavan, Milner, Ox, Sturridge, Solanke
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #31: Sep 07, 2017 08:07:12 pm
      If everyone's fit, go with the same team that beat Arsenal.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #32: Sep 07, 2017 08:14:17 pm
      Just beat them
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #33: Sep 07, 2017 08:33:22 pm
      Can't wait for this...
      Whether Coutinho/Chamberlain/Sturridge/Woodburn start or sit on the bench, who knows but it's a nice dilemma to have for change.

We won't get as much space out wide as we did against Arsenal but Mane, Firmino and Salah should once again shine.
      Frightening pace those three have and all I can say to Man shitties defence is "Look out"

Good time to play this lot, reckon we'll turn em over no problem.

3-1 :scarf:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: Sep 07, 2017 09:19:13 pm
      Yeah after playing a couple of times a week and playing well too these breaks are horrible. Haven't watched a single international match, they really don't interest me at all. I know some will say you can see how people like AOC are doing etc but I don't find international form, especially England, translates to club football. Gerrard used to look pretty ordinary in a lot of England games and then bossed it for us the games either side so those that are jumping on Alex's back because of it might want to let the lad run out for us first before we cast any judgements.

With regards City, this is obviously one of our tougher games and also the circumstances; on the back of internationals; privately flying Coutinho back, meaning very little training to solve the obvious issues his transfer saga has caused. Having said that I still believe we'll come away with at least a draw, anything better and of course we'll be tanking along.

I'd start Coutinho, as good as our 3 midfield looked against Arsenal we mustn't lose sight of the fact that Arsenal were also extremely poor, which I don't expect City to be. I'm not sure Jürgen will have such an easy time with that decision though, while of course he'll look to reintegrate him into the first team quickly, immediately could send the wrong message to the other lads. This is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't scenarios in my opinion because there are so many things which could go wrong with it, even Coutinho scoring the winner might not reflect so well on the boss, that he simply has to do what he deems right above all else. FWIW I think he'll start him, City are a title favourite for a reason and if we can get 3 points there then it'll obviously boost our chances and dent there's tremendously, but at the same time it'll send a real message to the rest of the league. 

Mig
        Gomez  Matip  Lovren Moreno
                   Henderson
                  Can Coutinho
              Salah  Firmino Mane

Away from home I think it should be Gini that misses out from those two, harsh on the lad judged on only the last game, but judged on his away performances this season, and last, then it's more than justified.

3-1 to the Redmen.

Dunno Luke, putting Coutinho back in straight away just wouldn't feel right if I'm honest, I know where coming from in that we're much better with him than without but what signal does that send to others,

That Klopp is a big German Shepherd and isn't as strict as ppl think ?

No, sorry Coutinho has to serve some kind of punishment otherwise Klopp could become a doormat!
      That's my take on it FWIW, reality Is tho we want to win and without a doubt we're better with Coutinho playing,
      I honestly can't see Jürgen going soft on Phill, he'll be drip fed back in imo a bit at a time   so he might make the bench.

YNWA

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Sep 07, 2017 10:10:23 pm
      Reckon Jürgen will go with..

Migs
              TAA  Matip   Lovren  Robertson
                      Gini Hendo Emre
                   Salah  Firmino  Mane

Karius looked like a lump of jelly last time out.
      Surely Moreno isn't actually really eeking his way back in.
      Close call between TAA and Gomez, but TAA is the more positive option.
      Then keep things same ol same ol in the middle/up top.
      Cou on the bench to come on if needed. And he might be needed.
      Not sure if Ox is fit, but can't see him coming into the middle unless we hit injuries/for important matches,
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #36: Sep 07, 2017 10:11:46 pm

Dunno Luke, putting Coutinho back in straight away just wouldn't feel right if I'm honest, I know where coming from in that we're much better with him than without but what signal does that send to others,

No, sorry Coutinho has to serve some kind of punishment otherwise Klopp could become a doormat!
      That's my take on it FWIW, reality Is tho we want to win and without a doubt we're better with Coutinho playing,
      I honestly can't see Jürgen going soft on Phill, he'll be drip fed back in imo a bit at a time   so he might make the bench.

YNWA

I get where you're coming from mate and can see it from both sides. This is why I was saying I think it's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Those who think he should be left out, it would be interesting to see if they'd happily pay the price of 3 points to City to make that choice, that could be the case. I know for sure Jürgen wont become a doormat but I also see this massively different from the Sakho incidents so getting an angry Coutinho who is ready to prove a point, assuming Jürgen can work the motivation that way, could easily prove to be the difference maker.

Tough call, not sure even after the game if we'll know if the right one was made regardless of result.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #37: Sep 07, 2017 10:25:03 pm

YNWA

Squad before the individual; in the past years managers might not have had a choice...The gaffer is building a team that all contribute not making one invaluable above the group.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #38: Sep 07, 2017 10:52:24 pm
      Wouldn't start the rat. We can beat them without him. Should still have power to watch this one on TV. Hopefully a victory to help get us through Irma.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #39: Sep 07, 2017 11:06:09 pm
      Wouldn't play Coutinho.  Wouldn't stick him in the squad either.  Lads going to be running up that touchline winding the Man City fans into a frenzy and we don't want their players to get the sense they are playing in a stadium with a home atmosphere.

He can get back involved in the squad maybe against Sevilla at Anfield.

NB: Team no longer available

Should still have power to watch this one on TV.

I like your priorities!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40: Sep 07, 2017 11:26:39 pm
      Wouldn't start the rat. We can beat them without him. Should still have power to watch this one on TV. Hopefully a victory to help get us through Irma.

Hope Irma isn't to bad for you, stay safe.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #41: Sep 08, 2017 01:28:34 am
      Quote from JD
      I like your priorities!

Football....much more important than life and death. ;)
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #42: Sep 08, 2017 09:53:13 am
      Love the confidence but i would take a scrappy 0-1 90min deflection going off Lovren's arse now.

Will be a tough game no doubt about it as they are a quality side going forward and the less said about our defence the better. Having said that we showed signs of defensive stability against Arse, ok I know they were pish.

City themselves are just as vulnerable defensively as we are and attack seems to be our best form of defence.

Would be unfair on any of those who started against Arse to be dropped, however there is a case for Coutinho to come back in as Gini is usually useless away from home but think Jürgen will have him on the bench and let him earn his way back as a starter.
      Would be a toss up between AOC and Milner who gets the bench position, there again Milner can cover a variety of positions.

Robertson should also also provide more defensive cover than Moreno.

Hopefully TAA is back to fitness.

Hopefully Firmino is over the jet lag otherwise Sturridge will have to lead the line, I prefer to see Daniel coming on against tired legs in the second half.

Migs
      TAA
      Matip
      Lovren
      Robertson

Hendo
      Can
      Gini

Salah
      Mane
      Firmino

Agree everything except Lovren being in the team in the first place. Personally, I think Klavan doesn't panic and IMHO better than Lovren.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #43: Sep 08, 2017 09:55:58 am
      This won't be easy. I think it might end up a 2-2 draw with both our defences cr@p but their's is slightly better since they upgraded them over the summer. Also, their midfield is miles better than ours.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #44: Sep 08, 2017 10:15:34 am
      I think it might end up a 2-2 draw

My prediction league head has gone for that (I can tell people - I'm in 99th position so no real danger to anyone!)

Can't see either side keeping a clean sheet - too much attacking prowess on display and fairly average defences/keepers as well.

In fact if both teams play as well up front as they can it could be double that scoreline.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #45: Sep 08, 2017 10:18:51 am
      Big plus apparently Kompany is out with a calf injury.

Quick Reply