Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      12 (21.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (5.4%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (5.4%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (3.6%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (5.4%)
      Emre Can
      2 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (5.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (8.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (14.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (10.7%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Sep 13, 2017 02:32:18 pm

Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 56932 times
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Re: Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Sep 09, 2017 03:03:00 pm
      MOTM - Ederson. That reenactment of the Battle of the Somme was something else. Even took the time out at the end to take a curtain call in front of the Abu Dhabi faithful.

I was wondering why were our fans booing as it isn't like them at all to boo off an injured player.

Stretchered off for a couple of stitches!!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,558 posts | 1547 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #576: Sep 09, 2017 03:04:15 pm
      It's not that we lost 5-0, it's how we lost, and no I don't mean the red card
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,732 posts | 3946 
      Reply #577: Sep 09, 2017 03:04:31 pm
      Wow, well and truly bent over and fu**ed deep in the arse.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,229 posts | 4421 
      Reply #578: Sep 09, 2017 03:05:05 pm
      Regardless of sending off that was embarrassing,
      Klopp must feel a little silly thinking no defenders in the world apart from VVD can improve on these sh*t houses.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #579: Sep 09, 2017 03:05:16 pm
      Decided to go into work... That's what that result has done to me.

F***ing grim.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #580: Sep 09, 2017 03:05:30 pm
      My weekend is well and truly ruined.
      11 against 11 at 0-1 and we were right in that game, City were sh*te..!

What really pisses me off is that we were all led to believe that their goalkeeper had bust his jaw and cheekbone yet he appeared on the bench second half !! WTF is that all about, before their medical team ushered him down the tunnel.
      It took 8 minutes to stretcher him off when by the looks of it he could of just walked off !! :f_steam:
      Feel sorry for Mane.

Caved in and our heads dropped.
      Painful to watch that second half..

Next game can't come any sooner..

Dreadful..
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #581: Sep 09, 2017 03:05:56 pm
      It's absolutely possible with these modern football whores that Ederson did fake a more serious injury to influence the ref for a red card. In fact, after he didn't sustain any real serious injury I even think it's probable he did it. But we played City, the mother of all that is wrong with modern football, so no surprise.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #582: Sep 09, 2017 03:10:48 pm
      Let's be honest, we do not have a spine in the first 11. Starting with the goalkeeper, we had the safe hands of Clemence instead of Mignolet. We had a Tommy Smith in defence instead of calamity Klavan/Lovren, in midfield we had hardman Souness instead Hendo, while attack we had a combo of Rush/Dalglish, now we only have the lone ranger in Mane. Klopp needs to build the spine of the first 11 first and not continue to crowd the midfield.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,558 posts | 1547 
      Reply #583: Sep 09, 2017 03:14:33 pm

Get on the Bat phone and give Keita a bell!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #584: Sep 09, 2017 03:15:56 pm
      Out of how many shots on target, about 10? Simon "coin-flip" Mignolet at it as usual.

As well as picking the ball out his next 7 times good to see him return to putting the ball out of play under practically no pressure as well.

Not to mention his best save was as ever the one where he probably knew nothing about it off Matip's boot.

Ticked all his boxes today.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,532 posts | 3468 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #585: Sep 09, 2017 03:18:07 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #586: Sep 09, 2017 03:18:17 pm
      Fair play to Pep:

Pep Guardiola: "I can't think a player like Mane wanted to go hard on the face of the GK. He followed the ball. Don’t know if it was a red"
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #587: Sep 09, 2017 03:22:40 pm
      As well as picking the ball out his next 7 times good to see him return to putting the ball out of play under practically no pressure as well.

Not to mention his best save was as ever the one where he probably knew nothing about it off Matip's boot.

Ticked all his boxes today.

AND he made the good saves...or as you note the saves that he knew nothing about, when the game was lost. Another vintage display from our most reliable, most excellent of goalkeepers. And he looks like Smiley McGee from Family Guy so he's winning in life.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #588: Sep 09, 2017 03:25:12 pm
      People getting stuck into Migs? I started mowing the frickin lawn for much of the 2nd half but from what I saw it might have been 7 or 8 if it weren't for some very good saves. Was he at fault for the 3rd or 4th goal?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,558 posts | 1547 
      Reply #589: Sep 09, 2017 03:25:36 pm
      They won't be looking forward to coming to Anfield after that

Sevilla and City. Payback.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #590: Sep 09, 2017 03:27:28 pm
      I think we're over reacting a bit. We played well until the sending off (which was the correct decision IMHO) and from there we got lost. The defence once again looked shambolic, but once again the same people are getting the blame (except for Lovren, I'm surprised nobody has blamed him yet) while others escape scot free.

Matip today was IMHO every bit as bad as anyone else in the back five, like a headless chicken positionally and all over the place. He dances between the raindrops as far as criticism goes on here, but we are kidding ourselves if we think he is out of the top drawer. TAA has much to learn and his performance today put into stark perspective just how silly all the comments about him already being "far better than Clyne already" are. He is a good kid though who will improve. Moreno simply isn't good enough, but today was far from his worst performance, while Klavan against top strikers is always liable to get exposed. No surprises to see Miglnolet copping flak, but although I think we could do much better how anyone could blame him for today is laughable.

In front of them though, we got THREE midfielders who rarely get forward, who ALL play centrally and ALL pretty much sit in front of the back four. Henderson, Can and Wijnaldum ought to be ashamed at the ease with which they were played around, ten men or not. Imagine a Claude Makeleli, or a Matic or a Cante as one of the three, the game is instantly different. They are every bit as culpable as the lads at the back.

Up top I wouldn't criticise too much, although I do think Mane ought not to have studded their keeper in the face. Salah continues to be exciting but a bit wasteful, while Bobby had one of his "invisible man" performances which he produces from time to time.

Not a good day at the office, but just about everything that could go against us did. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8677 
      Reply #591: Sep 09, 2017 03:28:55 pm
      People getting stuck into Migs? I started mowing the frickin lawn for much of the 2nd half but from what I saw it might have been 7 or 8 if it weren't for some very good saves. Was he at fault for the 3rd or 4th goal?

Don't think it matters who gets slagged off out of that team today, cos they were all sh*te.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #592: Sep 09, 2017 03:30:08 pm

Funny how the only defence for Mignolet is during matches like these is 'It could have been 7 or 8'. Enough's been said about our defence and with merit too but Mignolet's one of them as well so he rightly should be given a going over.

Not to mention it was one of his aimless kicks that resulted in Man City getting their first goal. Always the catalyst for a sequence of errors is Simon. Just an awful awful keeper and 8 conceded in 3 matches* is entirely in keeping with his ability (and the defence's)

11 in 5 if we're to count Europe.
      « Last Edit: Sep 09, 2017 03:34:53 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #593: Sep 09, 2017 03:36:59 pm
      I think we're over reacting a bit.

It was our worst league defeat in the past 25 years so it's understandable people are pissed off - certainly at the lack of fight. 

but once again the same people are getting the blame

They were all sh*te so there's my 'blame' apportioned.  Even the subs.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #594: Sep 09, 2017 03:38:22 pm
      I think we're over reacting a bit. We played well until the sending off (which was the correct decision IMHO) and from there we got lost. The defence once again looked shambolic, but once again the same people are getting the blame (except for Lovren, I'm surprised nobody has blamed him yet) while others escape scot free.

Matip today was IMHO every bit as bad as anyone else in the back five, like a headless chicken positionally and all over the place. He dances between the raindrops as far as criticism goes on here, but we are kidding ourselves if we think he is out of the top drawer. TAA has much to learn and his performance today put into stark perspective just how silly all the comments about him already being "far better than Clyne already" are. He is a good kid though who will improve. Moreno simply isn't good enough, but today was far from his worst performance, while Klavan against top strikers is always liable to get exposed. No surprises to see Miglnolet copping flak, but although I think we could do much better how anyone could blame him for today is laughable.

In front of them though, we got THREE midfielders who rarely get forward, who ALL play centrally and ALL pretty much sit in front of the back four. Henderson, Can and Wijnaldum ought to be ashamed at the ease with which they were played around, ten men or not. Imagine a Claude Makeleli, or a Matic or a Cante as one of the three, the game is instantly different. They are every bit as culpable as the lads at the back.

Up top I wouldn't criticise too much, although I do think Mane ought not to have studded their keeper in the face. Salah continues to be exciting but a bit wasteful, while Bobby had one of his "invisible man" performances which he produces from time to time.

Not a good day at the office, but just about everything that could go against us did. 

Agree with the general gist of the post Mick, although I do feel Mane was unlucky and just trying to score. One of those hard luck stories really but the ref had nowhere to go unfortunately.

But yeah not time to panic just yet, but the defence looked soft even at 11v11 and I thought City would score a few more agaimst the run of play.

I'm happy with the depth in most positions (we will miss Mane now for 3 games but have optioms this time around) but the centre back options are bare.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,532 posts | 3468 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #595: Sep 09, 2017 03:39:43 pm
      Funny how the only defence for Mignolet is during matches like these is 'It could have been 7 or 8'. Enough's been said about our defence and with merit too but Mignolet's one of them as well so he rightly should be given a going over.

Not to mention it was one of his aimless kicks that resulted in Man City getting their first goal. Always the catalyst for a sequence of errors is Simon. Just an awful awful keeper and 8 conceded in 3 matches* is entirely in keeping with his ability (and the defence's)

11 in 5 if we're to count Europe.

Do you stalk him ?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #596: Sep 09, 2017 03:43:40 pm
      Missed the game.

Let me guess.

Migs let in a goal for every 2 shots or less against him.
      Klavan looked slow and was constantly out of position.
      The forward line never got the ball once Mane was sent off.
      The referee has shafted us again.

That about right?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #597: Sep 09, 2017 03:44:28 pm

No pal - some of us are just aware of some basic standards.

Quick Reply