Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      12 (21.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (5.4%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (5.4%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (3.6%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (5.4%)
      Emre Can
      2 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (5.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (8.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (14.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (10.7%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Sep 13, 2017 02:32:18 pm

Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 55179 times
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Re: Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Sep 09, 2017 04:44:38 pm
      If mane had not got red card then think game would be close we lot chances but let be honest no way win league or anything if leak in that amount goals our cback joke
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #645: Sep 09, 2017 04:44:46 pm
      Intent to injure has nothing to do with this, it is a simple question. Was it dangerous.

A) Yes. Red
      B) No. No red

Drop this intent argument out the window.
      When people drive at 150 miles an hour, they don't intend to hurt anybody... but it is not a let off clause.

Show us where in the rulebook it says that dangerous play necessarily means a red card

As far as I know there's a distinction between careless, reckless and using excessive force. The first one require no disciplinary action, the second warrants a caution while only the last should result in a straight sending off

I think Mané was surely careless, perhaps reckless in his attempt to get the ball, but he did not use excessive force
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #646: Sep 09, 2017 04:45:26 pm
      Show us where in the rulebook it says that dangerous play necessarily means a red card

As far as I know there's a distinction between careless, reckless and using excessive force. The first one require no disciplinary action, the second warrants a caution while only the last should result in a straight sending off

I think Mané was surely careless, perhaps reckless in his attempt to get the ball, but he did not use excessive force
      Give me a minute, it is in the rulebook.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #647: Sep 09, 2017 04:45:50 pm
      On till klopp bring in one or two better cback then what we have then he going win nothing hear as manger
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #648: Sep 09, 2017 04:46:57 pm
      We play great football and score lot goals but no point if you going lose more games let in easy goals
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #649: Sep 09, 2017 04:48:45 pm
      Give me a minute, it is in the rulebook.

That's all I could find:

Granted it is a power point presentation, not the actual rulebook, but it's from FIFA's website
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #650: Sep 09, 2017 04:48:54 pm

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

In case you would like to contact them to tell them they missed out the intent part, seeing as you make the rules... here

http://www.thefa.com/about-football-association/contact-us
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #651: Sep 09, 2017 04:48:55 pm
      Law 12

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.
      Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play".

So by the letter of the law it was the correct decision.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #652: Sep 09, 2017 04:48:56 pm
      Klopp frightens me defenceivly
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #653: Sep 09, 2017 04:49:27 pm
      Strikers win you games defenders win you titles
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #654: Sep 09, 2017 04:49:37 pm
      Right. And if I kicked you in the jaw, knocked you out and gave you stitches, you'd shake my hand and say well in.

Thing is, you might, I might. But I'd still get a card for dangerous play.

Try reckless instead of dangerous if that fits better. Mane got a red for reckless play

It's got nothing to do with his eye on the ball. He didn't get sent off for not having his eye on the ball, he got sent off because he was reckless and that recklessness caused another player injury.

Get a card. Maybe. A yellow at best. I think many have agreed that would be the middle ground on the debate. Fact is, it was over the top punishment.

This is all beside the fact the keeper was well out of his safety zone. Many arguing the intent and all that as they should, because it's clear Mane had all eyes on ball and that SHOULD be taken into account. But what also should be is the keeper out of his protected area, so to speak. The keeper should simply not be throwing his head at a ball 40 yards from goal - it's mind boggling stupidity, and besides hoping the fella is okay, I hope someone talks some sense into that hopefully F***ing thick skull of his.

Intent to injure has nothing to do with this, it is a simple question. Was it dangerous.

A) Yes. Red
      B) No. No red

Drop this intent argument out the window.
      When people drive at 150 miles an hour, they don't intend to hurt anybody... but it is not a let off clause.

I think the only comparison to your ludicrous 150mph analogy is the speed and recklessness of Ederson coming out of goal.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #655: Sep 09, 2017 04:50:02 pm
      Intent has nothing to do with it. His foot is 6ft off the ground and he's booted someone in the face. Just because it's a goalkeeper it makes no difference. Whether he intended it or not he did it.

Besides that, his red doesn't excuse the lack of effort today and I hope we don't use that as the excuse for today's shambles.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #656: Sep 09, 2017 04:51:58 pm
      When Mane got sent off, we were already losing. We probably were going to lose 2-1, 3-2 anyway... I hope he learns from this.
      A loss to man city is not a disaster.
      For now Mane can be a CL player and I am guessing Coutinho will be introduced for league games.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #657: Sep 09, 2017 04:52:36 pm
      Law 12

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.
      Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play".

Mane had rights on the ball. Ederson came from the side with the head. There was no excessive force or brutality. He literally was trying to poke the ball on. Ederson endangered his own safety by being a 10/10 dumb c**t. This is stupid.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #658: Sep 09, 2017 04:54:51 pm
      Mane had rights on the ball. Ederson came from the side with the head. There was no excessive force or brutality. He literally was trying to poke the ball on. Ederson endangered his own safety by being a 10/10 dumb c**t. This is stupid.

A karate kick 6 feet in the air would be the definition of endangering someones safety. Not sure why its even a issue.

Lets not let the red card disguise a dismal performance, we should be discussing that shocking defensive performance instead.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #659: Sep 09, 2017 04:54:59 pm
      A karate kick 6 feet in the air would be the definition of endangering someones safety. Not sure why its even a issue.

Lets not let the red card disguise a dismal performance, we should be discussing that shocking defensive performance instead.

Intent has nothing to do with it. His foot is 6ft off the ground and he's booted someone in the face. Just because it's a goalkeeper it makes no difference. Whether he intended it or not he did it.

Besides that, his red doesn't excuse the lack of effort today and I hope we don't use that as the excuse for today's shambles.

His face booted him. This is the ridiculousness of this. By this logic anytime a player attempts a bicycle kick he is using excessive and brutal force, potentially.

EDIT: Dismal performance certainly should be discussed, but it is by no means largely down to a game changer of a decision. This is the Premier League player of the month, no scrub we're talking about here.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #660: Sep 09, 2017 04:55:15 pm
      Law 12

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

FA can't be lenient because if that was a yellow, we would see more of those type of tackles happen. Fatalities have happened in football matches before, I believe a goalkeeper in Indonesia killed the striker in 2014

Edit: here we are, a high foot..

Indonesian Premier League footballer dies days after suffering horror tackle

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/akli-fairuz-death-indonesian-premier-3571368
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #661: Sep 09, 2017 04:55:42 pm
      Anyway, let's not let the Mane incident overshadow the real problem of losing 5-0.

No character, no fight, no desire, and to be candid, no tactical awareness either
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #662: Sep 09, 2017 04:56:44 pm
      My thoughts are pretty much the same as most of everyone else's for the first half hour. It was a really strange start to the game actually. City sloppy in possession, we were sloppy in possession, but some good chances where Salah could and maybe should have done better. We were in the game as much as City and it could've gone either way.

With regards to Mane's red card. Those saying it wasn't a red card, Mane knows 100% sure he is NEVER getting there first, no chance. It's not even a 50-50, not even close. If you really want to do something there, try to head it or just bump into the keeper. Eyes on the ball doesn't matter, accident or not doesn't matter, you do NOT go to a ball like that. Of course he doesn't want to hurt anyone and yes it's an "accident", but still a red card.

It's all easy to blame the manager for the starting line-up after the game has finished. Funny thing is that other than Klavan and perhaps Trent, it is was the exact line-up everyone would've started with. It would've been Lovren's third game in 6 days if he had started today's game. We need to rotate, we've got loads of games coming up. We contained City with a back four of Milner - Klavan - Matip - Clyne last season. Is that back four so much better than today's? Not at all. No one could have predicted the sh*t show that was going to happen. Klavan has done well in the majority of games he was called upon last season, even against City at home on new year's day last season where he had Aguero in his pocket all game. Trent has done well in high pressure games against Hoffenheim. It was the right call by the manager. The whole defence and midfield, other than Moreno who seemed to be the only one trying, was poor today. Matip was all over the place too, but as Bigmick said, he doesn't seem to get any of the blame.

Then the start of the second half, it was clear what the plan was. Those saying the manager had given up on the game, not sure what makes you think that. We reverted to three at the back with Can, who we know is capable of playing there. Wingbacks Moreno and Trent, both have plenty of pace so we would be able to get forward quick enough on the counter and one of the few ball carrying midfielders we have in Alex. Yes it was a sh*t game to make his debut in, but he's a professional football player, F**k fancy debuts. I'm sure he'll get a "nice" home debut at Anfield. Salah would've been worthless if he had to start his runs with the ball from that deep and we'll need him in the following games as we're missing Mane. So again, the manager's plan for me was right, it was the right call. The execution by the players on the other hand, was poor. We ended up being too open in the middle. Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner later on, all were chasing shadows, didn't sit deep enough and we were never able to get our men with pace on the ball running at their back three.

Just to be clear: there are no excuses for rolling over like that and shipping 5 goals, even with 10 men, but try looking at it a bit more objectively instead of just coming out with the usual stereotypes. Just embarrassing to see that everyone had their knives sharpened and ready to get them out once we would lose a game again.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #663: Sep 09, 2017 04:56:46 pm

Jesus Christ mate. It's the f**king rules, it's there in black and white. A high foot is a foul and that foot was in the clouds. If someone goes into a challenge with their studs up it's usually a red so going with your studs into an opponents face is obviously a red.

And the keeper is allowed outside is area, it's not as if a keeper steps outside his box and is suddenly fair game for a kicking. Him being outside his area wasn't stupidity because actually, he got to the ball first.

If that happened to one of our lads we wouldn't give a sh*t about the opponent having his eyes on the ball.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #664: Sep 09, 2017 04:57:18 pm
      Those looking to berate Chamberlain after 45 minutes, give your head a wobble.
      Yes, he didn't see a lot of the ball. He wasn't on the same wavelength as everyone, but then again... he's had what, one or two sessions with the team since coming back from England duty? Cop on and give him a little time to settle in. Personally, I reckon he'd have only seen 15-20 mins if the red card didn't happen.

The red card ruined the game. If it was anywhere else on the pitch it would have been a yellow. It was made worse by the fact it was on the keeper, however, Mane had his eyes on the ball the whole time.

As others have stated, our defence was shocking today.

On to the next one, and forget about this one.

I berate us buying him... He adds nothing to our team a part form being an extra body in there,especially when the money could have been used elsewhere,added to the money offered for Lemar, or VVD both of whom would have bought more to our side... Javier Hernandez, West Ham paid £16m for him, a seasoned goal scorer We bought Potential (Solanke) even though we are in the CL...  Thing was even before the sending off City were all over us and I believe they would have beaten us anyway.... We were out classed, simply as
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,258 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #665: Sep 09, 2017 04:58:36 pm
      Jesus think some people need to look at schumacer v batison to put perspective on the mane incident.

But as some have said lets not overshadow the ineptness of today with the mane incident.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #666: Sep 09, 2017 05:00:01 pm
      Its the ussual one step forward one step back with the exeption of Mane and Salah the rest were sh*te bottleless and didnt stand up the whole defence were dross and why Klopp has done nothing about it is beyond me.

Quick Reply