Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      12 (21.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (5.4%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (5.4%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (3.6%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (5.4%)
      Emre Can
      2 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (5.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (8.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (14.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (10.7%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Sep 13, 2017 02:32:18 pm

Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 54224 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #759: Sep 10, 2017 12:08:57 am
      Wasn't quite his swansong but probably should have been.

Yes ... It should have been  and as far as the 14/15 season ended .... it was.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #760: Sep 10, 2017 12:22:46 am
      Thoughts...
      weird that in the ground i genuinely celebrated cos i thought ref gave a foul on Mane.....
      having seen it back, definitely a red. he was unlucky like...

shame as we were looking good. apart from the awful final ball.
      with every passing game im just astonished we didnt get a CB..i really dont want to watch Klavan anymore.

Trent had an absolute mare(im aware everyone did) have to laugh when i read those saying clyne being out for 3 months doesnt make any difference. some people have such short memories.

shame to get spanked like that..but we were due a beating from a big side. had to happen soon.
      bloody huge  month this...

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #761: Sep 10, 2017 01:09:47 am
      Next three games Burnley Leinster city and Newcastle we should get least 7 best 9 points from games or worse 6 points Newcastle and Leinster city are both sh*t
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #762: Sep 10, 2017 01:17:19 am
      Law 12

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.
      Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play".

So by the letter of the law it was the correct decision.

It wasn't a lunge though it was a player running at full tilt following the ball and raising his foot to get the ball. We're talking split seconds here.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #763: Sep 10, 2017 01:38:01 am
      It was begrudgingly a red card.

When I first saw the foul in real time from the TV angle I couldn't believe the ref showed him a red.

When I saw the foul from the refs position, I could see why it was given.

The ref didn't get to see Mane's eyes, he had to go on what he saw in that split second. I can't argue with that.

Generally, in England refs let you play your feet higher than the waist than they do on the continent.

Had Mane have toe-poked the ball first the decision to challenge would have been legitimate, on the continent it still may have entailed a free kick to the oppo.

Mane was unlucky that he got there a fraction of a second late and subsequently studded him in the face.

What's worse is we've got to make do without our best player for three games now.
      This was my opinion too when he first gave him the red. Thought that it was a yellow card at best, but looking at the replay, you can see that Moss went and checked out Ederson, and you could see him cringe before he gave the red.

Mane had every right to go for the ball, same as the keeper, but the rules of the game are clear on what constitutes dangerous play, and that protection of players is paramount in the game.

Try and get a win on Wednesday, get some of that good vybe back and then go again against Burnley on the weekend.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #764: Sep 10, 2017 01:42:49 am
      Commentator said it kicked of in the stands too between the fans after Manes foul anyone know the detail?
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #765: Sep 10, 2017 02:06:02 am
      Try and get a win on Wednesday, get some of that good vybe back and then go again against Burnley on the weekend.

What is done is done, nothing you can do now.

Put up a good show on Wednesday. Games will come in thick and fast. Looking forward to the next game soon.

Come on you reds

:kop5cf8koxp6:

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #766: Sep 10, 2017 02:17:11 am
      Can't believe we sold Sahko and kept Klavan. SMH
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #767: Sep 10, 2017 02:44:44 am
      Selling Sahko was never the problem, failing to secure his replacement is. To be perfectly frank I have never rated Matip near as much as most do on here. I think he, along with Lovren, are both mediocre defenders, the type that would excel at a mid-table club but who would fail to get in any of our top six rivals, let alone the elite clubs from around Europe, and the drop off of quality from then to Klavan is apalling. Our failure to secure defensive reinforcements this Summer was nothing short of disgraceful for a club with our ambitions.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #768: Sep 10, 2017 03:23:59 am
      Selling Sahko was never the problem, failing to secure his replacement is. To be perfectly frank I have never rated Matip near as much as most do on here. I think he, along with Lovren, are both mediocre defenders, the type that would excel at a mid-table club but who would fail to get in any of our top six rivals, let alone the elite clubs from around Europe, and the drop off of quality from then to Klavan is apalling. Our failure to secure defensive reinforcements this Summer was nothing short of disgraceful for a club with our ambitions.

Is it?

Question our ambitions, I would say its about right.

Our ambitions are none to prehistoric, there is nothing to look forward to here.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #769: Sep 10, 2017 03:30:55 am
      There is no doubt that losing mane and going down to ten men cost us the game but yet again our defending was criminal at times and some of klopps decisions left me baffled.

I've no idea why he keeps swapping and changing the back four. It seems he can't make his mind up between  lovren and klavan. What was dropping mignolet for Arsenal all about only to bring him back in today? What has happened to Robertson after putting in a solid performance against palace (and for Scotland) but we haven't seen him since? Why take Gomez out who was also brilliant against Arsenal? Gomez was also motm for the England u21s other night.

Anyway moving onto the game. For the first 35mins we completely battered them in my opinion. We were on top and in full control.

They took the the lead against the run of play. Could it have been avoided though? Of course it could.

From memory we lose a 50-50 in the middle of the park. The ball falls to kdb who puts aguero through on goal who then finishes. The pass from kdb and the finish from aguero were top quality but come on lads your playing city here and you need to be switched on at all times. Aguero is probably the best forward in the league but we failed to mark him or track his run. We should have him under control for 90mins. The cbs were too far apart from one another and we made it far too easy for them.

At that point I wasn't concerned though because as I said we were on top and I expected us to get back into the game.

Then of course the red card happens. At first I thought it was just a normal collision and I was in disbelief when I saw the red. After seeing about a dozen replays I accept it was the right decision now though. Mane was just unlucky but unfortunately we suffered as a consequence. I don't think we had a touch of the ball for the remainder of the half.

Second goal comes just before half time and it was similar to the first in that kdb had time and space to whip a cross in and Jesus was left unmarked who heads in from close range. Again, the ball and the finish were top quality but again, we made it easy for them.

So 2-0 down at half time and a man down too. The only way we're getting back into this game is if we keep it tight, do not concede any more goals and we hit them on the break.

Me personally, I'd have gone 4-4-1 and played a diamond. Henderson and wijnaldum would have come off who I thought were dreadful, and I'd have put on Ox and solanke. I'd have had can sitting, Ox and salah out wide, firmino tip of the diamond and then solanke holding the ball up. Yes we may have been over run in the middle but we were 2 down and that was the gamble I'd have taken.

What does Jürgen do? Takes off salah. I'm still scratching my head about that one even now. Why do that?

Although salahs end product was poor at times, he was our best player in the first half. He was giving their defenders all kinds of problems. He is also our quickest player so at a time when we need to rely on pace I couldn't understand why he was brought off. Bizarre substitution in my opinion.

It was obvious to me we needed somebody to hold the ball up and then have players with pace to support. Solanke would have done that with Ox and salah giving an option, firmino too.

I've no idea what the tactics were at HT but we looked a million times worse anyway. We were soon 3 down and that was game over. Jürgen did the right thing bringing Bobby off to prevent injury or tiredness.

At that point I wanted the game to finish so I can't be arsed talking about the other two goals. It was a bad day at the office for us and if we're honest, just sheer embarrassing at times.

Positives to take are that up until mane went off, we looked a far better side than them. When you think lallana, coutinho and clyne are to come back into the team then we have the making of a very, very good side.

Plenty of negatives too though I'm afraid. Nether lovren or klavan are good enough to partner matip. Trent shows his inexperience in defending against top opposition which you would expect from a young lad of his age but it will punish us at times this season. Wijnaldum blows hot and cold, one week decides to be the best player on the pitch and the next decides he can't be arsed and wants to go missing and not involve himself - really starting to frustrate me that now because I've seen what he's capable of. Jordan Henderson doesn't have what it takes to captain our club. Mane is out for three games. The boss only knows how to play one way - we have no plan B and we can't win or get a result 'ugly'. Jürgen doesn't know what his back five is.

Let's put this one behind us f**king quickly and just move on. Although I've given some criticisms, I'm still convinced had mane stayed on we would have had three points today so it's just one of those things, we just had no luck on the day. Forget about it and onto the next one.
      « Last Edit: Sep 10, 2017 03:40:14 am by HamannsTheMan »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #770: Sep 10, 2017 03:57:31 am
      So if we lose a game 4-3 thats ok, because we scored 3?

No
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #771: Sep 10, 2017 05:55:43 am
      So devastated after the final whistle blown. I cant sleep, cant eat and very depressed. I hope the players are not affected for the next important game.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #772: Sep 10, 2017 06:37:15 am
      How can anyone vote the keeper mom ?
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #773: Sep 10, 2017 09:04:16 am
      Best we forget about yesterday and move on
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #774: Sep 10, 2017 09:23:53 am
      Looking over that match again, Aguero's two goals are haunting me, because a simple knock through the gap between the defenders, and a player running through onto the ball. It was so easy, I'm sure many of us would slot those away, and we're supposed to be fielding top drawer defenders. That was sunday league defending, and how do you get them to raise their game after having the piss taken like that.
      Our problematic defence has become a MAJOR problem now.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #775: Sep 10, 2017 09:42:19 am
      We will bounce back, win some , lose some. Point is, we won't win anything with a defence like this.

Yes we will a load of games and it will always be good entertainment, but we will win f**k all. Nothing, None of our defenders and all of our keepers would get in another side in the top 10 in most leagues in Europe. Absolutley horrendous defence, Moreno, Klavan, Mignolet, Lovren, f**k me.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #776: Sep 10, 2017 09:48:39 am
      Yes we will a load of games and it will always be good entertainment, but we will win f**k all. Nothing, None of our defenders and all of our keepers would get in another side in the top 10 in most leagues in Europe. Absolutley horrendous defence, Moreno, Klavan, Mignolet, Lovren, f**k me.

Maybe Klopps 4th season will iron out the defensive issues.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #777: Sep 10, 2017 10:07:34 am
      Looking over that match again, Aguero's two goals are haunting me, because a simple knock through the gap between the defenders, and a player running through onto the ball. It was so easy, I'm sure many of us would slot those away, and we're supposed to be fielding top drawer defenders. That was sunday league defending, and how do you get them to raise their game after having the piss taken like that.
      Our problematic defence has become a MAJOR problem now.

I agree but sometimes defending balls like that is difficult but thats the difference Firminho not as likely to make them runs because he is not as quick and not as natural for him to make runs like that. Natural strikers will make runs like that all day and if you have good technical midfielders able to supply the balls you will create many a chance
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #778: Sep 10, 2017 10:22:59 am
      I agree but sometimes defending balls like that is difficult but thats the difference Firminho not as likely to make them runs because he is not as quick and not as natural for him to make runs like that. Natural strikers will make runs like that all day and if you have good technical midfielders able to supply the balls you will create many a chance

How often do you see goals conceded like that?

That was really Sunday league defending from midfield and the back line not interested in keeping they're shape and it's something that has been bugging me for a while, you just need to look at Gini and Can's work off the ball it's virtually non existent.

Maybe a stronger Captain could have forced them into making a greater effort to keep shape.

It's done know and I'm sure Klopp will be seething.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #779: Sep 10, 2017 10:29:01 am
      Depressing result. Obviously the sending off was massive and without it I highly doubt we would have got beaten badly like that.
      However, as everyone is saying ( how many times do we keep repeating it?) our defence isn't good enough. Going down to 10 really exposed the fact that we can't defend, because it meant that we couldn't press higher up. We had to sit deep and just defend and we couldn't do it, they just opened us up time and again.

No surprises, of course. We sold our only decent left sided defender in the summer ( fair enough, since he had disvciplnary issues) and didn't replace him. All we did was buy 1 LB, who apparently isn't a first team starter.

We stuck with the same goalie. I was prepared to live with that, except 3 games in to the season we drop him and try somebody else for a game, so it looks like we don't really have a first choice goalie we really believe in.

Why would we expect our defence to get better on this basis?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #780: Sep 10, 2017 11:20:48 am
      Seemingly a long, up and down season ahead. There will be no change unless Klopp, can sort out the defence.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #781: Sep 10, 2017 03:01:37 pm
      https://twitter.com/442oons/status/906863592099635201

Better than the shitty analysis on motd

Quick Reply