Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Liverpool to appeal Mane ban

Read 9155 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Liverpool to appeal Mane ban
      Reply #69: Sep 13, 2017 11:20:00 am
      Of the three incidents over the weekend of a high boot meeting a low face, only Mane was sent off, one was given a yellow card, the other wasn't even considered a foul. This showed the inconsistency of refereeing in this country and the club were absolutely right to appeal on that basis. If the club hadn't appealed they would have looked weak.
      Those other two players got away with it because the ref bottled it. If there is an injury the ref is less likely to bottle it. All three should have been red cards, the correct action would be to also ban the other 2. The thing is though, if ref sees it the FA don't normally act unless there are more circumstances. Saying somebody else got away with it is not really a defence. It's possible those referees that let it slide will be down ranked by FA and find themselves refereeing league 2 if they aren't careful.
      There is too much bias, it's like listening to Arsen Wenger... don't make excuses and blame others. Deal with problems within the camp. Mane needs to know that is unacceptable and not say everyone is doing that so it is okay.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #70: Sep 13, 2017 11:22:24 am
      In the case of Mane how could he avoid a player set on a collision course with his boot?
      We all knew the f**king outcome of the "judgement".

Is right.

I'll never believe it was a red BUT the subjectivity of that view (which is reflected by fact many on hear believe it was) is exactly why there was no danger of it being over-turned.

That said......if you don't ask you don't get so I've no issue with the club lodging an appeal.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #71: Sep 13, 2017 11:26:41 am
      Is right.

I'll never believe it was a red BUT the subjectivity of that view (which is reflected by fact many on hear believe it was) is exactly why there was no danger of it being over-turned.

That said......if you don't ask you don't get so I've no issue with the club lodging an appeal.
      Even if you dispute the red, everybody still has to agree that Liverpool players just cannot put feet high since there is a risk of a red. If people think it is okay and blame the ref, history will just repeat.
      I can almost guarantee a player will put feet high against us, maybe even tonight. Could be yellow, could be red... but we don't have to take that chance.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #72: Sep 13, 2017 11:29:00 am
      Even if you dispute the red, everybody still has to agree that Liverpool players just cannot put feet high since there is a risk of a red. If people think it is okay and blame the ref, history will just repeat.

That's part of the game though, sometimes you have to throw your foot up or whatever, point is, Mane was sent off cos both feet were off the ground, but I do not want the sport turning into a no contact sport like F***ing Basketball.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #73: Sep 13, 2017 11:38:44 am
      That's part of the game though, sometimes you have to throw your foot up or whatever, point is, Mane was sent off cos both feet were off the ground, but I do not want the sport turning into a no contact sport like f**king Basketball.
      That is a good point, both of his feet were off the ground and in the other 2 they weren't. I agree about it cannot become no contact.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #74: Sep 13, 2017 11:45:38 am
      I can almost guarantee a player will put feet high against us, maybe even tonight. Could be yellow, could be red... but we don't have to take that chance.

Yes we do. 100% of time.

Personally, I'd be absolutely feckin' livid if one of our players soiled his "tidy whities" instead of challenging.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,696 posts | 880 
      Reply #75: Sep 13, 2017 11:47:39 am

I don't quite get what you want. Are you really saying that players should never raise their feet in the air to meet the ball?

What of Can's superb goal last season? Are we to always keep our feet down and wait for the ball to fall waist high? You know other players are not doing that - as demonstrated by the other two incidents. Do you expect our players to 'compete' for the ball by standing there, waiting for the 'low ball' opportunity and doing nothing while the opposing player clears the ball?

In Mane's case, he should have stood there waiting for the keeper to clear the ball.. ?
      or, should he have dived in with his own head to compete for the ball and caused a far more severe clash of heads?

These kind of movements for the ball are part of the game. As demonstrated, that is precisely why the other two refs did not send of the "offending" players.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #76: Sep 13, 2017 11:51:19 am
      I don't quite get what you want. Are you really saying that players should never raise their feet in the air to meet the ball?

What of Can's superb goal last season? Are we to always keep our feet down and wait for the ball to fall waist high? You know other players are not doing that - as demonstrated by the other two incidents. Do you expect our players to 'compete' for the ball by standing there, waiting for the 'low ball' opportunity and doing nothing while the opposing player clears the ball?

In Mane's case, he should have stood there waiting for the keeper to clear the ball.. ?
      or, should he have dived in with his own head to compete for the ball and caused a far more severe clash of heads?

These kind of movements for the ball are part of the game. As demonstrated, that is precisely why the other two refs did not send of the "offending" players.
      It is different, can was not challenging for the ball, nobody around.

Mane did kung fu in his face.

It's amazing the lengths people are going to say it is was okay.
      Some people would see below in football and say it's a yellow.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #77: Sep 13, 2017 12:02:32 pm

Beside that mate how many of those cases involved a goalie bearing down on the opposing players boot like a F***ing Exorcet?
      If the player had been stationery and Mane put the tackle in (a la Vinnie Jones), fairy muff red all day.

Mane's eye was on the ball the whole time, no way he could anticipate the goalie going for the ball like a F***ing madman while out of his area.
      No way was it a 50/50 tackle, the goalie's actions meant there was a 110% chance he would receive some bad facial damage.

Oblivious to the FA of course.
      « Last Edit: Sep 13, 2017 03:04:32 pm by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #78: Sep 13, 2017 12:05:14 pm

Stick to wrestling ffs.
      DanMann

• 5,696 posts | 880 
      Reply #79: Sep 13, 2017 12:45:54 pm

Sure, but the point you made is that a Liverpool player should not be raising feet in the air. Can did just that.

With any scissor kick / overhead kick, there is always a risk that the player makes contact with another player whether on the up, or on the way down. But, its a risk they take because they want to play the ball - in a goal scoring / attacking opportunity.

As Stuey points out, City goalkeeper came at it like a train, and it was a case of who got there first. Mane was slower than he anticipated, so like any challenge, late for the ball = foul. But, not the red that was given.

The "both feet off the ground" argument is not valid either, because one of those feet was required for the jump towards the airborne ball. It was not like he went in with both feet.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #80: Sep 13, 2017 01:01:38 pm
      The "both feet off the ground" argument is not valid either, because one of those feet was required for the jump towards the airborne ball. It was not like he went in with both feet.

That'll been one of the factors that the ref considered though, most challenges where a player goes in with both feet off the ground, usually ends up in a red card.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #81: Sep 13, 2017 01:20:16 pm
      As Stuey points out, City goalkeeper came at it like a train, and it was a case of who got there first. Mane was slower than he anticipated, so like any challenge, late for the ball = foul. But, not the red that was given.
      Mane could have headed it and City goalkeeper could have flykicked Mane instead. Mane has to go off injued, red or yellow? Even without last man rules it would be red.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #82: Sep 13, 2017 01:35:56 pm
      I hope our midfield do not go hiding this time. Gini on is like playing with 10 players. Give Ox a chance, I;m sure he'll drive forward unlike our sissy midfield in the last game.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #83: Sep 13, 2017 01:45:23 pm
      I hope our midfield do not go hiding this time. Gini on is like playing with 10 players. Give Ox a chance, I;m sure he'll drive forward unlike our sissy midfield in the last game.

You're a fool if you think Gini is a liability.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #84: Sep 13, 2017 01:52:22 pm

Don't be ridiculous - no place for tights in football (pantyhose for our American friends).
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #85: Sep 13, 2017 03:33:44 pm
      They have an agenda against us and there again is clear proof Luke.

Nah,not with this one.Look at how many of our own jumped on the defo red card in the game thread/post game.Can't expect the fa to go against the officials version.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #86: Sep 14, 2017 02:09:03 am
      Quote from JD
      Rules state that the actual red can't be overturned so minimum 1 match ban so it's just questioning the 3 games.

It either gets upheld or rescinded, leading to the standard sanction or none at all.

Reducing it would be an admission that it wasn't a red card and it should not have been given. I think it was worth appealing but it had little chance of success. They go by the letter of the law, and not common sense.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #87: Sep 14, 2017 01:42:33 pm

Nah,not with this one.Look at how many of our own jumped on the defo red card in the game thread/post game.Can't expect the fa to go against the officials version.

Dont know how long you've been a red mate but Skip's(Miro) is right, everyone hates us,  the ref is not allowed to use common sense that's in his mantra and ordered by the FA, Fifa, Refs association and uncle Tom Cobbley ,

Historically there has been some very dodgy decisions mostly unexplained went against us....especially those of a authoritative nature ??

YNWA
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #88: Sep 14, 2017 04:44:29 pm
      It is hard to imagine why the team was against the length of the ban, I would only imagine that this shows just how integral he is to the team.

It would be hard to imagine a team going out there and arguing that 'yes, he deserved a red card' and then go out there and say 'but the ban that has been handed out is excessive and not representative of the red card.'

That is essentially what happened. I have seen people come in and cast blame on the City GK for being outside his box, or dipping his head as he tried to clear the ball. Both of these are wrong. If it was a red, then you he has to get a three game ban, and if they did not think that it was a red card offense, they should have tried to get that entire ban overturned, even running the risk that he might have an extra game added if it went belly up.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #89: Sep 14, 2017 05:01:24 pm
      It is hard to imagine why the team was against the length of the ban, I would only imagine that this shows just how integral he is to the team.

It would be hard to imagine a team going out there and arguing that 'yes, he deserved a red card' and then go out there and say 'but the ban that has been handed out is excessive and not representative of the red card.'

That is essentially what happened. I have seen people come in and cast blame on the City GK for being outside his box, or dipping his head as he tried to clear the ball. Both of these are wrong. If it was a red, then you he has to get a three game ban, and if they did not think that it was a red card offense, they should have tried to get that entire ban overturned, even running the risk that he might have an extra game added if it went belly up.

There have been examples of bans being reduced on appeal, reckon it was worth a go even if it was a long shot
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #90: Sep 14, 2017 05:03:16 pm

Dont know how long you've been a red mate but Skip's(Miro) is right, everyone hates us,  the ref is not allowed to use common sense that's in his mantra and ordered by the FA, Fifa, Refs association and uncle Tom Cobbley ,

Historically there has been some very dodgy decisions mostly unexplained went against us....especially those of a authoritative nature ??

YNWA

oh yep i get that.but with this one, i didn't think it was a red but there is nowt to see to overturn it.don't think the panel looked at it and said,'fair challenge,but its liverpool so'...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #91: Sep 15, 2017 09:11:50 am

oh yep i get that.but with this one, i didn't think it was a red but there is nowt to see to overturn it.don't think the panel looked at it and said,'fair challenge,but its liverpool so'...

Your probably right mate, but even the f***in Arsehole's still don't use common sense with our appeal....everyone to a man can see Mane wants to win that ball and not intentionally hurt the keeper.....but yet they still uphold the 3 match ban ....that's a dictatorship right there....what they are saying is...We don't give a flying F**k what actually happened we're banning you anyways.....cos we are the ruling body and what we says goes...We actually dont have a f***in Scooby how to play football, none of us have ever actually kicked a f***in ball, but do we care ? Of course we do we care about how much money we make screwing the fans and we care about how much money we make screwing the players and managers and clubs when we decide to fine them.....So F**k off with your appealing....We dont give a F**k !! Especially you f***in Scousers!!

YNWA

Quick Reply