Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool to appeal Mane ban

Read 9194 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Liverpool to appeal Mane ban
      Sep 11, 2017 09:19:45 pm
      Liverpool decided before 5pm today to appeal the automatic 3 match ban for Mane's red card.

The red card can't be overturned so he definitely misses the Burnley game.  I'd imagine he probably would have sat out the League Cup game anyway so hopefully if it can be reduced then he could be back for the second game against Leicester in the league.

That Newcastle yellow card yesterday (and the one again tonight in the Huddersfield game) should be more than enough for Liverpool to have a case in my view.

If it doesn't get reduced then I'd imagine we will have a season of loads of these incidents having to get punished with red cards so I'm quite hopeful.

What do you reckon?
      Kopite78
      Re: Liverpool to appeal Mane ban
      Reply #1: Sep 11, 2017 09:24:04 pm
      I can't see them going against the original call personally, as much as I think that it's a yellow in the first place.

I think they'll uphold the decision.

Hope they don't consider it frivolous and increase it 😐
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2: Sep 11, 2017 09:26:18 pm
      Liverpool decided before 5pm today to appeal the automatic 3 match ban for Mane's red card.

The red card can't be overturned so he definitely misses the Burnley game.  I'd imagine he probably would have sat out the League Cup game anyway so hopefully if it can be reduced then he could be back for the second game against Leicester in the league.

That Newcastle yellow card yesterday (and the one again tonight in the Huddersfield game) should be more than enough for Liverpool to have a case in my view.

If it doesn't get reduced then I'd imagine we will have a season of loads of these incidents having to get punished with red cards so I'm quite hopeful.

What do you reckon?

Think it'll definitely get reduced due to the fact that even the likes of Clattenburg were calling it only a yellow. The opinion is still extremely split and rests around 50/50 on whether it was a yellow or red, that to me is the perfect type of thing to appeal.

As you say the last couple of days have thrown up 2 incidents that make their refs look completely incompetent when it comes to consistency. Whether it was justified as a red or not they've really got to decide if they want to call 2 of their refs wrong or just 1 and as you say with the ruling on this, if it upholds the 3 matches, could result in a lot of red cards.

I still think it was a red, but the evidence that's since been put forward makes me think there's little chance they can maintain the 3 match ban, which of course means it's nailed on to be 3 matches.
      moonunderthewater
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #3: Sep 11, 2017 09:26:37 pm

What do you reckon?

Better be careful here. Is there a risk of getting an extra game if we appeal?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #4: Sep 11, 2017 09:52:25 pm
      As much as I hate to say it the send off was waranted. Now I say that after seeing the slow mo, but it is a letter of the law red card. Now his eyes were on the ball and there was NO intent involved other than trying to equalize. But I do see a chance that it does get reduced when you factor in the weekend no calls or yellows and that you can clearly see the intent was for the ball. We need him
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,978 posts | 237 
      Reply #5: Sep 11, 2017 10:00:04 pm
      As much as I hate to say it the send off was waranted. Now I say that after seeing the slow mo, but it is a letter of the law red card. Now his eyes were on the ball and there was NO intent involved other than trying to equalize. But I do see a chance that it does get reduced when you factor in the weekend no calls or yellows and that you can clearly see the intent was for the ball. We need him

Pretty much agree with everything you say. What's done is done. I hope the ban gets reduced.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #6: Sep 11, 2017 10:00:27 pm
      I feel if we look at it and Migs got hit, we would all probably call it a red.

My first reaction was foil but yellow, but I think the FA bred to just make it definitive, a high foot and not in control is a red or not, their call.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #7: Sep 11, 2017 10:08:13 pm
      It was a yellow.

Accidental collision with an opposition  player with a raised leg.

It was only deemed "excessive force" because Ederson charged out of his box and ran full speed towards Mane as he was raising his leg.

Accidentally dangerous play = yellow card.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #8: Sep 11, 2017 10:16:20 pm
      Rules state that the actual red can't be overturned so minimum 1 match ban so it's just questioning the 3 games.

Personally I think it's time referees reports were publically available. That decision effectively decided the outcome of a game for the fans who spent combined millions on attending and millions on watching.

There seems to be very little in the way of explanation or accountability for these decisions.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #9: Sep 11, 2017 10:18:41 pm

Bingo.  If you start punishing accidental dangerous play with red cards, you will discourage players from even competing for 50/50 challenges.  At that point, we might as well be watching tennis....

Appeal should go through and ban reduced to 1 game -- which is still 1.6 games too many....
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #10: Sep 11, 2017 10:24:50 pm
      No appeal necessary. 3 match ban won't be overturned. Instant red is the right decision.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11: Sep 11, 2017 10:27:03 pm

What do you reckon?
      they should have been sent off too.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #12: Sep 11, 2017 10:27:36 pm
      We have the technology use it , IMO Sadio was unlucky a brave keeper stuck his nut in where it hurts and went down accordingly  , the ref then pulls the red like a gunfighter pulling his gun  ,the other two incidents just compound the problem .

You can either let the refs, referee and take your chances or put it upstairs for a more indepth analysis by TV,which would take all of what  20 secs which is 19 more than the pr**k with the cards ,all 3 incidents show they all aint singing from the same hymn sheet it's a shambles what really pisses me of is I actually agree with that w**ker Neville and thats definitely not a place I want to be .
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #13: Sep 11, 2017 10:30:29 pm
      Rules state that the actual red can't be overturned so minimum 1 match ban so it's just questioning the 3 games.

Personally I think it's time referees reports were publically available. That decision effectively decided the outcome of a game for the fans who spent combined millions on attending and millions on watching.

There seems to be very little in the way of explanation or accountability for these decisions.

The FA are incapable of anything approaching clarity.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: Sep 11, 2017 10:46:05 pm

In spain it will be made public what a player has said to a ref if they for example get sent off for dissent,  an example jordi alba asking a ref 'why always me' in holland refs will come out and explain decisions.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #15: Sep 11, 2017 10:46:21 pm
       :f_whistle:
      It was a yellow.

Accidental collision with an opposition  player with a raised leg.

It was only deemed "excessive force" because Ederson charged out of his box and ran full speed towards Mane as he was raising his leg.

Mane of course had no way of avoiding the collision, he kept his eye on the ball throughout, the goalie teararsed out of his area and tried to butt Mane's boot.
      No way in the wòrld could either player have anticipated or prevented a collision.
      « Last Edit: Sep 11, 2017 11:06:05 pm by stuey »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #16: Sep 11, 2017 11:02:08 pm
      ,all 3 incidents show they all aint singing from the same hymn sheet it's a shambles

That is the annoying aspect. Sending a player off is a game changer. These decisions should not be queried every single weekend.

Would love to see some of our referee's best mates betting accounts.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #17: Sep 11, 2017 11:37:47 pm
      The FA have set a president that Mane's foul is a 0 game ban thanks to yellows being issues with no retrospective punishment. I expect the club to settle on a 1 game ban to stop this being drawn out.

In the spirit of the game and in the interest of accountability the FA should apologise for the incompetence their officials have in running games in this country, however they will never admit their failures which is a shame.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #18: Sep 11, 2017 11:39:52 pm
      I thought it was a red Card.  But I would be furious if they increased the ban.  It is definitely worth contesting.  I think it should be a 1 game ban max.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #19: Sep 12, 2017 12:55:16 am
      It was a red. His spikes were up and obviously they landed on the face. The crazy thing is how the ref got it right in real time. It didn't look like a red when I first saw it. He also seemed to change his mind mid pull of the card. He had his hand in one pocket than went to the other. Like Klopp said, unlucky for sure. Especially when you see the Yellows handed out afterwards this weekend. But by the letter of the law it was just. I do hope they go with a one game ban when they review other calls this weekend and that you can clearly see in review it was an accident
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #20: Sep 12, 2017 01:58:14 am
      It was a red. His spikes were up and obviously they landed on the face. The crazy thing is how the ref got it right in real time. It didn't look like a red when I first saw it. He also seemed to change his mind mid pull of the card. He had his hand in one pocket than went to the other. Like Klopp said, unlucky for sure. Especially when you see the Yellows handed out afterwards this weekend. But by the letter of the law it was just. I do hope they go with a one game ban when they review other calls this weekend and that you can clearly see in review it was an accident

The "letter of the law" still leaves so much open for interpretation. 

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

How do you define "endangering the safety of an opponent?"  Had Otamendi's chop on Salah caught him a bit different, he could have easily been injured.  Could/should that have been a red? 

How do you define "excessive force?"  In pretty sure I could pull up over 100 "fair challenges" from Mascherano's days in a red top that you could easily question if he used excessive force.  F**k, he probably had one or more in each game he played for us.  The "letter of the law" allows a red to say, "that was excessive" even if a player wins the ball.  Surely we dont want that....

There are some challenges which have been clarified as straight red cards:  intentional elbows to the head/face;  dangling exposed studs on the end of a 50/50 allowing the other player to break his foot/leg on the bottom of your boot;  two footed slides;  a slide from behind;  etc.  However, there never seems to have been real clarification on the high boot scenario, which is why we got such vastly different outcomes from the 3 incidents this weekend.....

F**k the letter of the law.  Judgement and common sense are what's needed 😎
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2017 02:07:04 am by harrydunn08 »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #21: Sep 12, 2017 06:54:15 am
      First image in the OP is a kick to the face.

Sadio went in revealing his studs. Do that anywhere below the waistline and you are walking a red card tight rope. Do that six feet in the air, well...

The second image again looks like studs though.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #22: Sep 12, 2017 08:39:33 am
      Personally I feel he COULD have gotten a yellow and we all wouod have felt relived
      BUT if the keeper had gotten there a fraction earlier and taken out mane then it would have been a straight red for ederson
      It's a weird one.
      The benefit of the camera angle showing how mane was entirely focussed on the ball highlights to me that there was no intentional foul by Sadio but the ref never saw this view point.
      Ugh
      Still feel it was very harsh.
      The main issue to me is how we handled the game after that. We utterly capitulated.
      Embarrassing.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #23: Sep 12, 2017 09:19:28 am
      4 game ban incoming, appeal will be seen as frivolous in my opinion, its the F.A after all where common sense and rationale go out the window.

I'll be very surprised if it's successful.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #24: Sep 12, 2017 09:24:13 am
      4 game ban incoming, appeal will be seen as frivolous in my opinion, its the F.A after all where common sense and rationale go out the window.

I'll be very surprised if it's successful.

Probably mate, at least we can go in with some evidence from the same weekend with similar reckless challenges with totally different outcomes.

But yeah it is the FA so an extension is probably right.

When do they make their decision?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #25: Sep 12, 2017 09:26:30 am
      The "letter of the law" still leaves so much open for interpretation. 

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

How do you define "endangering the safety of an opponent?"  Had Otamendi's chop on Salah caught him a bit different, he could have easily been injured.  Could/should that have been a red? 

How do you define "excessive force?"  In pretty sure I could pull up over 100 "fair challenges" from Mascherano's days in a red top that you could easily question if he used excessive force.  F**k, he probably had one or more in each game he played for us.  The "letter of the law" allows a red to say, "that was excessive" even if a player wins the ball.  Surely we dont want that....

There are some challenges which have been clarified as straight red cards:  intentional elbows to the head/face;  dangling exposed studs on the end of a 50/50 allowing the other player to break his foot/leg on the bottom of your boot;  two footed slides;  a slide from behind;  etc.  However, there never seems to have been real clarification on the high boot scenario, which is why we got such vastly different outcomes from the 3 incidents this weekend.....

F**k the letter of the law.  Judgement and common sense are what's needed 😎
      My gosh, seems people can't understand what OR means. Those familiar with logic gates would understand.

Consider only A or B have to be true for the triangle, red card to be issued.
      Consider the red card to be the triangle in this diagram.

A= A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent
      B= uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play

DanMann

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #26: Sep 12, 2017 09:27:10 am
      Personally I feel he COULD have gotten a yellow and we all wouod have felt relived
      BUT if the keeper had gotten there a fraction earlier and taken out mane then it would have been a straight red for ederson
      It's a weird one.

Bit different though mate. If the keeper had taken Mane out, it would have been a red because ederson is the last man and there is a goal scoring opportunity. So, not solely down to the "foul" on Mane, but the scenario.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Sep 12, 2017 09:29:01 am

Appeal hearing is today, so I'd assume we'll know today.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #28: Sep 12, 2017 09:41:15 am
      Appeal hearing is today, so I'd assume we'll know today.
      If this gets overturned, no player will be sent off for it again.. high footed challenges will be the norm. I don't want that. Brain injuries such as concussion will be all too common.
      The only thing that does need clearing up is what counts as dangerous play? I can give an example of why it is a bit hard to define;
      True story: I had a concussion during football. When I used to play, I was quite quick when bursting and a defender nicknamed Rhino, because he had a physique like the gladiator... tried to get the ball.. just clipped me and I tripped over with enough force to flip over and land on my head... they stuck me in a brain scan that looked like a polo mint to check for skull fractures, got the all clear... but couldn't return to work for 3 weeks due to concussion. Nothing permanent. He was late because I was just too quick, but all he did was stick his foot out, no double feet, no sliding tackle, not even sticking his foot out far. Technically it must have been dangerous if I got an injury from it, but the only way to stop that is ask a defender to not challenge for any balls.....
      see now we have a problem, players standing there doing nothing. This is quite a mess to define, which is why referees have been left to deal with it.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,978 posts | 237 
      Reply #29: Sep 12, 2017 09:43:18 am
      Considering the incidents in the other games over the weekend, I expect the ban to be reduced to one game. If it doesn't get reduced, it would belie sanity (yet again!).
      Kopite78
      Reply #30: Sep 12, 2017 10:00:38 am
      . they stuck me in a brain scan that looked like a polo mint to check for skull fractures, got the all clear...

Are you sure? It would explain most of your ramblings.
      I'd go back and see them again 👍
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #31: Sep 12, 2017 10:08:19 am

Looks like the CT scanner was broken that day and they put Rib in a giant polo mint!
      Would explain a lot.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Sep 12, 2017 10:22:42 am

Shouldn't laugh, but ;D :-)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 2817 
      Reply #33: Sep 12, 2017 11:18:54 am
      It's a red all day long but three games is too much. One would be fair but I don't see it happening.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34: Sep 12, 2017 11:45:08 am
      I thought a 3 game ban was only for really malicious nasty fouls, Mane's was neither.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #35: Sep 12, 2017 12:07:35 pm
      I thought a 3 game ban was only for really malicious nasty fouls, Mane's was neither.
      2 x yellow = red = 1 match ban
      Straight red = 3 match ban
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #36: Sep 12, 2017 12:11:19 pm
      I'd like to say common sense will prevail and it will get reduced due to the fact Mane has puplicly apologised for an accident, he is not a player with a malicious streak in him and was looking at the ball the whole time.

BUT it's the FA and they will keep their ban because they refuse to look like normal humans and just act like killer cyborgs driven to ruin the game.
      If it was a player like Costa then maintain the ban cause he's a horrible f***er but Mane is not that guy.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      Reply #37: Sep 12, 2017 12:24:07 pm
      If this gets overturned, no player will be sent off for it again.. high footed challenges will be the norm. I don't want that. Brain injuries such as concussion will be all too common.
      The only thing that does need clearing up is what counts as dangerous play? I can give an example of why it is a bit hard to define;
      True story: I had a concussion during football. When I used to play, I was quite quick when bursting and a defender nicknamed Rhino, because he had a physique like the gladiator... tried to get the ball.. just clipped me and I tripped over with enough force to flip over and land on my head... they stuck me in a brain scan that looked like a polo mint to check for skull fractures, got the all clear... but couldn't return to work for 3 weeks due to concussion. Nothing permanent. He was late because I was just too quick, but all he did was stick his foot out, no double feet, no sliding tackle, not even sticking his foot out far. Technically it must have been dangerous if I got an injury from it, but the only way to stop that is ask a defender to not challenge for any balls.....
      see now we have a problem, players standing there doing nothing. This is quite a mess to define, which is why referees have been left to deal with it.

Did they find anything on the scan then ?
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #38: Sep 12, 2017 12:37:11 pm
      I'd like to say common sense will prevail and it will get reduced due to the fact Mane has puplicly apologised for an accident, he is not a player with a malicious streak in him and was looking at the ball the whole time.

BUT it's the FA and they will keep their ban because they refuse to look like normal humans and just act like killer cyborgs driven to ruin the game.
      If it was a player like Costa then maintain the ban cause he's a horrible f***er but Mane is not that guy.

Sorry but common sense, FA and Liverpool FC in the same sentence is highly unlikely in my estimation. On past performance the FA will give us a super secret additional sanction and Mane will be out for 5 games for no apparent reason.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #39: Sep 12, 2017 12:46:15 pm
      2 x yellow = red = 1 match ban
      Straight red = 3 match ban

Wrong red card can be a one game ban unless it's for violent play, then it's a three game ban!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #40: Sep 12, 2017 12:46:52 pm

Here here, Manager's are put under the spotlight as part of their remit, get scrutinized by both the media , pundits & fans, the refs like managers should come out after every game and explain their decions whether it be a red , a penalty or anything contentious,

Doing so could actually be very helpful and likely to release some of the pressures they feel, and ultimately improve the relationship between referees and fan's.

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #41: Sep 12, 2017 12:50:48 pm

Not even a single brain cell mate   ;)  ;D

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #42: Sep 12, 2017 12:52:51 pm
      If the FA aren't still holding a grudge against us, he could well get the ban reduced.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #43: Sep 12, 2017 12:54:11 pm

I've been calling for referees to conduct post-match interveiws for a long time, and apparently many are in favour so they can explain their decisions. Apparently it's that stupid c**t Mike Riley that's standing in the way.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Sep 12, 2017 01:04:13 pm
      Not even a single brain cell mate   ;)  ;D

YNWA

:o :o :o
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #45: Sep 12, 2017 02:43:30 pm

To Appeal?

Good .

Agree with that.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2017 10:45:05 pm by MIRO »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #46: Sep 12, 2017 03:40:01 pm
      Kopite78
      Reply #47: Sep 12, 2017 03:42:32 pm
      Didn't think it would be overturned

Essentially 2 matches with how it falls as he'd never have got picked against Leicester in  the league cup
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #48: Sep 12, 2017 03:52:32 pm
      Bunch of clowns, yellow card for similar offences yet 3 matches for our lad, comical.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #49: Sep 12, 2017 04:08:32 pm
      Fine, uphold the ban but I look forward to seeing all of the red cards this season for studs up high feet. I hope that Ritchie's yellow is the first and last incident that doesn't receive equitable punishment.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      Reply #50: Sep 12, 2017 04:08:43 pm
      No surprise
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #51: Sep 12, 2017 04:24:55 pm
      I'm starting to worry about Liverpool even appealing it in the first place. Made us a laughing stock again. Everyone knew what the result would be, it's like being that kid in the classroom that asks is it time to leave whilst everyone else is walking to the door.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #52: Sep 12, 2017 04:28:10 pm
      Nothing permanent, just bruised brain.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #53: Sep 12, 2017 04:28:29 pm
      Banter  :f_doh:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #54: Sep 12, 2017 05:17:04 pm

they stuck me in a brain scan that looked like a polo mint to check for skull fractures, got the all clear

Redangel

• 8,309 posts | 1004 
      Reply #55: Sep 12, 2017 06:50:43 pm
      I think most us knew this would be upheld, a bunch of old f*rts who haven't got a clue about the modern game. Football, wether we like it or not, is a multi million pound business run by a bunch of clueless amateurs.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,204 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #56: Sep 12, 2017 07:21:53 pm
      Appeal eh. What 4 games will Mane miss??
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #57: Sep 12, 2017 07:33:51 pm
      Appeal eh. What 4 games will Mane miss??

Burnley, Leicester, Leicester
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,204 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #58: Sep 12, 2017 07:36:25 pm

No extra game for appealing??
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #59: Sep 12, 2017 07:38:50 pm

Appealed for the length of the ban to be reduced, not appeal against the ban.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #60: Sep 12, 2017 07:56:41 pm
      Mane can play in the CL, he would have needed to rest against Burnley anyway. Kids should get the nod in the League cup, so just PL game v Leicester will be missed the most.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #61: Sep 12, 2017 08:35:59 pm

Could be much worse.  He will be fresh and available for the games against Sevilla and Moscow.  With Salah, Ox, and Coutinho all available we shouldn't have much problem rotating players and covering for Mane's absence. 

It's a load of bull sh*t on numerous levels, but this is what we deal with...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #62: Sep 12, 2017 08:38:25 pm
      Could be much worse.  He will be fresh and available for the games against Sevilla and Moscow.

Yeah - wasn't expecting him to play in the League Cup so that's no problem really.  And he shouldn't be required for a home game against Burnley.  League game against Leicester is the main one I suppose.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #63: Sep 12, 2017 10:35:31 pm
      Matt Ritchie done the exact same against Swansea on Sunday. Fair enough he didn't make contact but surely he should be facing a ban too? His foot was just as high and by more luck than anything, he missed the player.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #64: Sep 12, 2017 10:47:03 pm
      Bunch of clowns, yellow card for similar offences yet 3 matches for our lad, comical.

They have an agenda against us and there again is clear proof Luke.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #65: Sep 12, 2017 10:52:46 pm

Totally agree mate and it's hard to argue against it. The only defence from their point of view is to suggest the two refs who gave out yellows were wrong. That puts them in even worse light than simply reducing Mane's punishment.

Lads above expecting consistency from now until the end of the season shouldn't be holding their breath, someone will take a size 9 around the chops soon enough and just get a yellow to rub the disparity in some more.

As usual, we'll deal with it, will make it all the sweeter when we do lift the trophy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #66: Sep 12, 2017 11:22:28 pm
      Matt Ritchie done the exact same against Swansea on Sunday. Fair enough he didn't make contact but surely he should be facing a ban too? His foot was just as high and by more luck than anything, he missed the player.

In the case of Mane how could he avoid a player set on a collision course with his boot?
      We all knew the F***ing outcome of the "judgement".
      moonunderthewater
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #67: Sep 13, 2017 04:15:41 am
      I'm starting to worry about Liverpool even appealing it in the first place. Made us a laughing stock again. Everyone knew what the result would be, it's like being that kid in the classroom that asks is it time to leave whilst everyone else is walking to the door.
      Have to agree with this. Showing no class. We are bigger than this and should've sucked it up. By lodging a pointless appeal has caused it to still rumble on. That keeper has stitches next to his eye, it was a red and I don't know why Jürgen changed his mind as he said an appeal was a waste of time
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #68: Sep 13, 2017 11:09:27 am

Of the three incidents over the weekend of a high boot meeting a low face, only Mane was sent off, one was given a yellow card, the other wasn't even considered a foul. This showed the inconsistency of refereeing in this country and the club were absolutely right to appeal on that basis. If the club hadn't appealed they would have looked weak.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #69: Sep 13, 2017 11:20:00 am
      Of the three incidents over the weekend of a high boot meeting a low face, only Mane was sent off, one was given a yellow card, the other wasn't even considered a foul. This showed the inconsistency of refereeing in this country and the club were absolutely right to appeal on that basis. If the club hadn't appealed they would have looked weak.
      Those other two players got away with it because the ref bottled it. If there is an injury the ref is less likely to bottle it. All three should have been red cards, the correct action would be to also ban the other 2. The thing is though, if ref sees it the FA don't normally act unless there are more circumstances. Saying somebody else got away with it is not really a defence. It's possible those referees that let it slide will be down ranked by FA and find themselves refereeing league 2 if they aren't careful.
      There is too much bias, it's like listening to Arsen Wenger... don't make excuses and blame others. Deal with problems within the camp. Mane needs to know that is unacceptable and not say everyone is doing that so it is okay.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,971 posts | 3055 
      Reply #70: Sep 13, 2017 11:22:24 am
      In the case of Mane how could he avoid a player set on a collision course with his boot?
      We all knew the f**king outcome of the "judgement".

Is right.

I'll never believe it was a red BUT the subjectivity of that view (which is reflected by fact many on hear believe it was) is exactly why there was no danger of it being over-turned.

That said......if you don't ask you don't get so I've no issue with the club lodging an appeal.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #71: Sep 13, 2017 11:26:41 am
      Is right.

I'll never believe it was a red BUT the subjectivity of that view (which is reflected by fact many on hear believe it was) is exactly why there was no danger of it being over-turned.

That said......if you don't ask you don't get so I've no issue with the club lodging an appeal.
      Even if you dispute the red, everybody still has to agree that Liverpool players just cannot put feet high since there is a risk of a red. If people think it is okay and blame the ref, history will just repeat.
      I can almost guarantee a player will put feet high against us, maybe even tonight. Could be yellow, could be red... but we don't have to take that chance.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #72: Sep 13, 2017 11:29:00 am
      Even if you dispute the red, everybody still has to agree that Liverpool players just cannot put feet high since there is a risk of a red. If people think it is okay and blame the ref, history will just repeat.

That's part of the game though, sometimes you have to throw your foot up or whatever, point is, Mane was sent off cos both feet were off the ground, but I do not want the sport turning into a no contact sport like F***ing Basketball.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #73: Sep 13, 2017 11:38:44 am
      That's part of the game though, sometimes you have to throw your foot up or whatever, point is, Mane was sent off cos both feet were off the ground, but I do not want the sport turning into a no contact sport like f**king Basketball.
      That is a good point, both of his feet were off the ground and in the other 2 they weren't. I agree about it cannot become no contact.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,971 posts | 3055 
      Reply #74: Sep 13, 2017 11:45:38 am
      I can almost guarantee a player will put feet high against us, maybe even tonight. Could be yellow, could be red... but we don't have to take that chance.

Yes we do. 100% of time.

Personally, I'd be absolutely feckin' livid if one of our players soiled his "tidy whities" instead of challenging.
      DanMann

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #75: Sep 13, 2017 11:47:39 am

I don't quite get what you want. Are you really saying that players should never raise their feet in the air to meet the ball?

What of Can's superb goal last season? Are we to always keep our feet down and wait for the ball to fall waist high? You know other players are not doing that - as demonstrated by the other two incidents. Do you expect our players to 'compete' for the ball by standing there, waiting for the 'low ball' opportunity and doing nothing while the opposing player clears the ball?

In Mane's case, he should have stood there waiting for the keeper to clear the ball.. ?
      or, should he have dived in with his own head to compete for the ball and caused a far more severe clash of heads?

These kind of movements for the ball are part of the game. As demonstrated, that is precisely why the other two refs did not send of the "offending" players.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #76: Sep 13, 2017 11:51:19 am
      I don't quite get what you want. Are you really saying that players should never raise their feet in the air to meet the ball?

What of Can's superb goal last season? Are we to always keep our feet down and wait for the ball to fall waist high? You know other players are not doing that - as demonstrated by the other two incidents. Do you expect our players to 'compete' for the ball by standing there, waiting for the 'low ball' opportunity and doing nothing while the opposing player clears the ball?

In Mane's case, he should have stood there waiting for the keeper to clear the ball.. ?
      or, should he have dived in with his own head to compete for the ball and caused a far more severe clash of heads?

These kind of movements for the ball are part of the game. As demonstrated, that is precisely why the other two refs did not send of the "offending" players.
      It is different, can was not challenging for the ball, nobody around.

Mane did kung fu in his face.

It's amazing the lengths people are going to say it is was okay.
      Some people would see below in football and say it's a yellow.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #77: Sep 13, 2017 12:02:32 pm

Beside that mate how many of those cases involved a goalie bearing down on the opposing players boot like a F***ing Exorcet?
      If the player had been stationery and Mane put the tackle in (a la Vinnie Jones), fairy muff red all day.

Mane's eye was on the ball the whole time, no way he could anticipate the goalie going for the ball like a F***ing madman while out of his area.
      No way was it a 50/50 tackle, the goalie's actions meant there was a 110% chance he would receive some bad facial damage.

Oblivious to the FA of course.
      « Last Edit: Sep 13, 2017 03:04:32 pm by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #78: Sep 13, 2017 12:05:14 pm

Stick to wrestling ffs.
      DanMann

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #79: Sep 13, 2017 12:45:54 pm

Sure, but the point you made is that a Liverpool player should not be raising feet in the air. Can did just that.

With any scissor kick / overhead kick, there is always a risk that the player makes contact with another player whether on the up, or on the way down. But, its a risk they take because they want to play the ball - in a goal scoring / attacking opportunity.

As Stuey points out, City goalkeeper came at it like a train, and it was a case of who got there first. Mane was slower than he anticipated, so like any challenge, late for the ball = foul. But, not the red that was given.

The "both feet off the ground" argument is not valid either, because one of those feet was required for the jump towards the airborne ball. It was not like he went in with both feet.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #80: Sep 13, 2017 01:01:38 pm
      The "both feet off the ground" argument is not valid either, because one of those feet was required for the jump towards the airborne ball. It was not like he went in with both feet.

That'll been one of the factors that the ref considered though, most challenges where a player goes in with both feet off the ground, usually ends up in a red card.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #81: Sep 13, 2017 01:20:16 pm
      As Stuey points out, City goalkeeper came at it like a train, and it was a case of who got there first. Mane was slower than he anticipated, so like any challenge, late for the ball = foul. But, not the red that was given.
      Mane could have headed it and City goalkeeper could have flykicked Mane instead. Mane has to go off injued, red or yellow? Even without last man rules it would be red.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #82: Sep 13, 2017 01:35:56 pm
      I hope our midfield do not go hiding this time. Gini on is like playing with 10 players. Give Ox a chance, I;m sure he'll drive forward unlike our sissy midfield in the last game.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #83: Sep 13, 2017 01:45:23 pm
      I hope our midfield do not go hiding this time. Gini on is like playing with 10 players. Give Ox a chance, I;m sure he'll drive forward unlike our sissy midfield in the last game.

You're a fool if you think Gini is a liability.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,971 posts | 3055 
      Reply #84: Sep 13, 2017 01:52:22 pm

Don't be ridiculous - no place for tights in football (pantyhose for our American friends).
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #85: Sep 13, 2017 03:33:44 pm

Nah,not with this one.Look at how many of our own jumped on the defo red card in the game thread/post game.Can't expect the fa to go against the officials version.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #86: Sep 14, 2017 02:09:03 am
      Quote from JD

It either gets upheld or rescinded, leading to the standard sanction or none at all.

Reducing it would be an admission that it wasn't a red card and it should not have been given. I think it was worth appealing but it had little chance of success. They go by the letter of the law, and not common sense.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #87: Sep 14, 2017 01:42:33 pm

Nah,not with this one.Look at how many of our own jumped on the defo red card in the game thread/post game.Can't expect the fa to go against the officials version.

Dont know how long you've been a red mate but Skip's(Miro) is right, everyone hates us,  the ref is not allowed to use common sense that's in his mantra and ordered by the FA, Fifa, Refs association and uncle Tom Cobbley ,

Historically there has been some very dodgy decisions mostly unexplained went against us....especially those of a authoritative nature ??

YNWA
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #88: Sep 14, 2017 04:44:29 pm
      It is hard to imagine why the team was against the length of the ban, I would only imagine that this shows just how integral he is to the team.

It would be hard to imagine a team going out there and arguing that 'yes, he deserved a red card' and then go out there and say 'but the ban that has been handed out is excessive and not representative of the red card.'

That is essentially what happened. I have seen people come in and cast blame on the City GK for being outside his box, or dipping his head as he tried to clear the ball. Both of these are wrong. If it was a red, then you he has to get a three game ban, and if they did not think that it was a red card offense, they should have tried to get that entire ban overturned, even running the risk that he might have an extra game added if it went belly up.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      Reply #89: Sep 14, 2017 05:01:24 pm
      It is hard to imagine why the team was against the length of the ban, I would only imagine that this shows just how integral he is to the team.

It would be hard to imagine a team going out there and arguing that 'yes, he deserved a red card' and then go out there and say 'but the ban that has been handed out is excessive and not representative of the red card.'

That is essentially what happened. I have seen people come in and cast blame on the City GK for being outside his box, or dipping his head as he tried to clear the ball. Both of these are wrong. If it was a red, then you he has to get a three game ban, and if they did not think that it was a red card offense, they should have tried to get that entire ban overturned, even running the risk that he might have an extra game added if it went belly up.

There have been examples of bans being reduced on appeal, reckon it was worth a go even if it was a long shot
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #90: Sep 14, 2017 05:03:16 pm

Dont know how long you've been a red mate but Skip's(Miro) is right, everyone hates us,  the ref is not allowed to use common sense that's in his mantra and ordered by the FA, Fifa, Refs association and uncle Tom Cobbley ,

Historically there has been some very dodgy decisions mostly unexplained went against us....especially those of a authoritative nature ??

YNWA

oh yep i get that.but with this one, i didn't think it was a red but there is nowt to see to overturn it.don't think the panel looked at it and said,'fair challenge,but its liverpool so'...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #91: Sep 15, 2017 09:11:50 am

oh yep i get that.but with this one, i didn't think it was a red but there is nowt to see to overturn it.don't think the panel looked at it and said,'fair challenge,but its liverpool so'...

Your probably right mate, but even the f***in Arsehole's still don't use common sense with our appeal....everyone to a man can see Mane wants to win that ball and not intentionally hurt the keeper.....but yet they still uphold the 3 match ban ....that's a dictatorship right there....what they are saying is...We don't give a flying F**k what actually happened we're banning you anyways.....cos we are the ruling body and what we says goes...We actually dont have a f***in Scooby how to play football, none of us have ever actually kicked a f***in ball, but do we care ? Of course we do we care about how much money we make screwing the fans and we care about how much money we make screwing the players and managers and clubs when we decide to fine them.....So F**k off with your appealing....We dont give a F**k !! Especially you f***in Scousers!!

YNWA

Quick Reply