Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Liverpool to appeal Mane ban

Read 9163 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Liverpool to appeal Mane ban
      Reply #23: Sep 12, 2017 09:19:28 am
      4 game ban incoming, appeal will be seen as frivolous in my opinion, its the F.A after all where common sense and rationale go out the window.

I'll be very surprised if it's successful.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #24: Sep 12, 2017 09:24:13 am
      4 game ban incoming, appeal will be seen as frivolous in my opinion, its the F.A after all where common sense and rationale go out the window.

I'll be very surprised if it's successful.

Probably mate, at least we can go in with some evidence from the same weekend with similar reckless challenges with totally different outcomes.

But yeah it is the FA so an extension is probably right.

When do they make their decision?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #25: Sep 12, 2017 09:26:30 am
      The "letter of the law" still leaves so much open for interpretation. 

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

How do you define "endangering the safety of an opponent?"  Had Otamendi's chop on Salah caught him a bit different, he could have easily been injured.  Could/should that have been a red? 

How do you define "excessive force?"  In pretty sure I could pull up over 100 "fair challenges" from Mascherano's days in a red top that you could easily question if he used excessive force.  F**k, he probably had one or more in each game he played for us.  The "letter of the law" allows a red to say, "that was excessive" even if a player wins the ball.  Surely we dont want that....

There are some challenges which have been clarified as straight red cards:  intentional elbows to the head/face;  dangling exposed studs on the end of a 50/50 allowing the other player to break his foot/leg on the bottom of your boot;  two footed slides;  a slide from behind;  etc.  However, there never seems to have been real clarification on the high boot scenario, which is why we got such vastly different outcomes from the 3 incidents this weekend.....

F**k the letter of the law.  Judgement and common sense are what's needed 😎
      My gosh, seems people can't understand what OR means. Those familiar with logic gates would understand.

Consider only A or B have to be true for the triangle, red card to be issued.
      Consider the red card to be the triangle in this diagram.

A= A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent
      B= uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,696 posts | 880 
      Reply #26: Sep 12, 2017 09:27:10 am
      Personally I feel he COULD have gotten a yellow and we all wouod have felt relived
      BUT if the keeper had gotten there a fraction earlier and taken out mane then it would have been a straight red for ederson
      It's a weird one.

Bit different though mate. If the keeper had taken Mane out, it would have been a red because ederson is the last man and there is a goal scoring opportunity. So, not solely down to the "foul" on Mane, but the scenario.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Sep 12, 2017 09:29:01 am

Appeal hearing is today, so I'd assume we'll know today.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #28: Sep 12, 2017 09:41:15 am
      Appeal hearing is today, so I'd assume we'll know today.
      If this gets overturned, no player will be sent off for it again.. high footed challenges will be the norm. I don't want that. Brain injuries such as concussion will be all too common.
      The only thing that does need clearing up is what counts as dangerous play? I can give an example of why it is a bit hard to define;
      True story: I had a concussion during football. When I used to play, I was quite quick when bursting and a defender nicknamed Rhino, because he had a physique like the gladiator... tried to get the ball.. just clipped me and I tripped over with enough force to flip over and land on my head... they stuck me in a brain scan that looked like a polo mint to check for skull fractures, got the all clear... but couldn't return to work for 3 weeks due to concussion. Nothing permanent. He was late because I was just too quick, but all he did was stick his foot out, no double feet, no sliding tackle, not even sticking his foot out far. Technically it must have been dangerous if I got an injury from it, but the only way to stop that is ask a defender to not challenge for any balls.....
      see now we have a problem, players standing there doing nothing. This is quite a mess to define, which is why referees have been left to deal with it.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,972 posts | 237 
      Reply #29: Sep 12, 2017 09:43:18 am
      Considering the incidents in the other games over the weekend, I expect the ban to be reduced to one game. If it doesn't get reduced, it would belie sanity (yet again!).
      Kopite78
      Reply #30: Sep 12, 2017 10:00:38 am
      . they stuck me in a brain scan that looked like a polo mint to check for skull fractures, got the all clear...

Are you sure? It would explain most of your ramblings.
      I'd go back and see them again 👍
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #31: Sep 12, 2017 10:08:19 am

Looks like the CT scanner was broken that day and they put Rib in a giant polo mint!
      Would explain a lot.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Sep 12, 2017 10:22:42 am

Shouldn't laugh, but ;D :-)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,254 posts | 2800 
      Reply #33: Sep 12, 2017 11:18:54 am
      It's a red all day long but three games is too much. One would be fair but I don't see it happening.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34: Sep 12, 2017 11:45:08 am
      I thought a 3 game ban was only for really malicious nasty fouls, Mane's was neither.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #35: Sep 12, 2017 12:07:35 pm
      I thought a 3 game ban was only for really malicious nasty fouls, Mane's was neither.
      2 x yellow = red = 1 match ban
      Straight red = 3 match ban
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #36: Sep 12, 2017 12:11:19 pm
      I'd like to say common sense will prevail and it will get reduced due to the fact Mane has puplicly apologised for an accident, he is not a player with a malicious streak in him and was looking at the ball the whole time.

BUT it's the FA and they will keep their ban because they refuse to look like normal humans and just act like killer cyborgs driven to ruin the game.
      If it was a player like Costa then maintain the ban cause he's a horrible f***er but Mane is not that guy.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #37: Sep 12, 2017 12:24:07 pm
      If this gets overturned, no player will be sent off for it again.. high footed challenges will be the norm. I don't want that. Brain injuries such as concussion will be all too common.
      The only thing that does need clearing up is what counts as dangerous play? I can give an example of why it is a bit hard to define;
      True story: I had a concussion during football. When I used to play, I was quite quick when bursting and a defender nicknamed Rhino, because he had a physique like the gladiator... tried to get the ball.. just clipped me and I tripped over with enough force to flip over and land on my head... they stuck me in a brain scan that looked like a polo mint to check for skull fractures, got the all clear... but couldn't return to work for 3 weeks due to concussion. Nothing permanent. He was late because I was just too quick, but all he did was stick his foot out, no double feet, no sliding tackle, not even sticking his foot out far. Technically it must have been dangerous if I got an injury from it, but the only way to stop that is ask a defender to not challenge for any balls.....
      see now we have a problem, players standing there doing nothing. This is quite a mess to define, which is why referees have been left to deal with it.

Did they find anything on the scan then ?
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #38: Sep 12, 2017 12:37:11 pm
      I'd like to say common sense will prevail and it will get reduced due to the fact Mane has puplicly apologised for an accident, he is not a player with a malicious streak in him and was looking at the ball the whole time.

BUT it's the FA and they will keep their ban because they refuse to look like normal humans and just act like killer cyborgs driven to ruin the game.
      If it was a player like Costa then maintain the ban cause he's a horrible f***er but Mane is not that guy.

Sorry but common sense, FA and Liverpool FC in the same sentence is highly unlikely in my estimation. On past performance the FA will give us a super secret additional sanction and Mane will be out for 5 games for no apparent reason.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #39: Sep 12, 2017 12:46:15 pm
      2 x yellow = red = 1 match ban
      Straight red = 3 match ban

Wrong red card can be a one game ban unless it's for violent play, then it's a three game ban!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,900 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #40: Sep 12, 2017 12:46:52 pm
      Rules state that the actual red can't be overturned so minimum 1 match ban so it's just questioning the 3 games.

Personally I think it's time referees reports were publically available. That decision effectively decided the outcome of a game for the fans who spent combined millions on attending and millions on watching.

There seems to be very little in the way of explanation or accountability for these decisions.

Here here, Manager's are put under the spotlight as part of their remit, get scrutinized by both the media , pundits & fans, the refs like managers should come out after every game and explain their decions whether it be a red , a penalty or anything contentious,

Doing so could actually be very helpful and likely to release some of the pressures they feel, and ultimately improve the relationship between referees and fan's.

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,900 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #41: Sep 12, 2017 12:50:48 pm
      Did they find anything on the scan then ?

Not even a single brain cell mate   ;)  ;D

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #42: Sep 12, 2017 12:52:51 pm
      If the FA aren't still holding a grudge against us, he could well get the ban reduced.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #43: Sep 12, 2017 12:54:11 pm
      Rules state that the actual red can't be overturned so minimum 1 match ban so it's just questioning the 3 games.

Personally I think it's time referees reports were publically available. That decision effectively decided the outcome of a game for the fans who spent combined millions on attending and millions on watching.

There seems to be very little in the way of explanation or accountability for these decisions.

I've been calling for referees to conduct post-match interveiws for a long time, and apparently many are in favour so they can explain their decisions. Apparently it's that stupid c**t Mike Riley that's standing in the way.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Sep 12, 2017 01:04:13 pm
      Not even a single brain cell mate   ;)  ;D

YNWA

:o :o :o
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber