Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      12 (21.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (5.4%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (5.4%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (3.6%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (5.4%)
      Emre Can
      2 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (5.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (8.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (14.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (10.7%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Sep 13, 2017 02:32:18 pm

Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 54927 times
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 334 
      Re: Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #805: Sep 11, 2017 07:52:23 pm
      Like it or not under the current rules it's a red all day long.

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

Mane is off the ground out of control, boot head high no way to pull out of the tackle. Intent is irelevant.

Lots on here are using their red spectacles to cover up our real problems on Saturday.

Poor organisation
      Lack of team spirit
      no leaders
      poor substitutions esp taking Salah off
      No plan B

I put a these problems at Klopps door. He's paid to organise, motivate, manage in-game and plan. He's not been here only 5 minutes and things don't seem to be changing. Yes we look great and devastating when his plan A works but we look bloody awful when it doesn't.

We hear plenty of times about  teams doing well with 10 players as their team spirit brings them together to pull out a result. On here it seems to excuse us being totally Sh@te.

We need to be honest and look where the real problem was on Saturday.

I appreciate my view will be irrrelevant to many as I've not made many posts.

It's as relevant as anybody's mate.  Good post, although I think (being of a generation used to real contact in the game!) that it shouldn't have been a sending off.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #806: Sep 11, 2017 08:30:06 pm

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

Fair enough mate.  However, let's focus on the bit in bold.  Players get injured from all sorts of "fair challenges" -- just about any challenge against Studge endangers his safety....  For example, a 50/50 with both players staying on their feet and challenging from the front (a fair challenge by all accounts) could still easily result in 1 player winning the ball, and the other committing a foul that subsequently injures the player who won the ball.  Therefore, even a "fair tackle" could still be given a red card by letter of the law. 

Or, if a player goes in for a 50/50 aerial challenge, misses the ball, and accidentally knocks heads with the opponent.  A potential head injury or concussion is clearly "endangering the opposing player" -- red card ???

The point I'm trying to make is that you need to use judgement and interpret the rules with some sensibility -- Not just letter of the law. 

In my opinion, that collision was the result of a 50/50 challenge that was decided by fractions of a second.  Both players were obligated to compete for it and there was only going to be 1 winner.  The crucial bit here (for me) is Mane's obligation to compete -- In my opinion, you can't create a rule that mandates that a player be dismissed for simply not winning a challenge that he was obligated to compete for.  This sort of interpretation of the rules will make the game less intense, less exciting, and less entertaining. 

Professional footballers make a king's ransom just to entertain us simple folk.  They know footie is a contact sport and they know there is always a risk of getting injured whilst playing.  There do need to be regulations in place to protect the players as much as possible, but in my opinion the rules should be interpreted in such a way that creates a harmony between protecting the safety of the players, and also protecting the entertainment value and spectacle of the competition.  Just my take on it. 

In any case, if we go out and smash Sevilla and then do the same to Burnley -- everyone will forget all about the City game. 
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #807: Sep 11, 2017 09:24:02 pm
      Kopite78
      Reply #808: Sep 11, 2017 09:28:07 pm

That says a lot to be honest.

One draw in that situation, the rest go on to lose. 44 goals to 6

Saturday hurts but it's how we respond
      moonunderthewater
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #809: Sep 11, 2017 09:31:37 pm
      Fair enough mate.  However, let's focus on the bit in bold.  Players get injured from all sorts of "fair challenges" -- just about any challenge against Studge endangers his safety....  For example, a 50/50 with both players staying on their feet and challenging from the front (a fair challenge by all accounts) could still easily result in 1 player winning the ball, and the other committing a foul that subsequently injures the player who won the ball.  Therefore, even a "fair tackle" could still be given a red card by letter of the law. 

Or, if a player goes in for a 50/50 aerial challenge, misses the ball, and accidentally knocks heads with the opponent.  A potential head injury or concussion is clearly "endangering the opposing player" -- red card ???

The point I'm trying to make is that you need to use judgement and interpret the rules with some sensibility -- Not just letter of the law. 

In my opinion, that collision was the result of a 50/50 challenge that was decided by fractions of a second.  Both players were obligated to compete for it and there was only going to be 1 winner.  The crucial bit here (for me) is Mane's obligation to compete -- In my opinion, you can't create a rule that mandates that a player be dismissed for simply not winning a challenge that he was obligated to compete for.  This sort of interpretation of the rules will make the game less intense, less exciting, and less entertaining. 

Professional footballers make a king's ransom just to entertain us simple folk.  They know footie is a contact sport and they know there is always a risk of getting injured whilst playing.  There do need to be regulations in place to protect the players as much as possible, but in my opinion the rules should be interpreted in such a way that creates a harmony between protecting the safety of the players, and also protecting the entertainment value and spectacle of the competition.  Just my take on it. 

In any case, if we go out and smash Sevilla and then do the same to Burnley -- everyone will forget all about the City game.

If Mane gets the touch, the keeper collides with him, and we scream Red Card. If Mane goes to head the ball, play on. Mane both feet off the ground, studs at head height into keepers face, and, well, we all know, don't we?
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #810: Sep 11, 2017 09:38:45 pm
      If Mane gets the touch, the keeper collides with him, and we scream Red Card. If Mane goes to head the ball, play on. Mane both feet off the ground, studs at head height into keepers face, and, well, we all know, don't we?

But for a different reason -- the denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity. 

My opinion isn't because it was Mane.  If the roles were reversed and it was Aguero who'd been dismissed for a foul on Migs, I'd have called it a harsh decision.  As a LFC fan, I'd have selfishly been happy as it would have helped our chances in a big game.  But as a neutral footie fan and former player (at least up to the collegiate level), I'd have said it shouldn't have been a red card. 
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #811: Sep 11, 2017 09:46:17 pm
      But for a different reason -- the denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity. 

My opinion isn't because it was Mane.  If the roles were reversed and it was Aguero who'd been dismissed for a foul on Migs, I'd have called it a harsh decision.  As a LFC fan, I'd have selfishly been happy as it would have helped our chances in a big game.  But as a neutral footie fan and former player (at least up to the collegiate level), I'd have said it shouldn't have been a red card.
      As a LFC fan you would have been furious if it was  yellow for Aguero. I remember when a midfielder studded Firmino in the chest, he got up 1-2 minutes later, we won the game and still the whole forum thought it should have been a red, but it was only a yellow in that game.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #812: Sep 11, 2017 11:09:39 pm

Mane is off the ground out of control, boot head high no way to pull out of the tackle. Intent is irelevant.

Lots on here are using their red spectacles to cover up our real problems on Saturday.

Poor organisation
      Lack of team spirit
      no leaders
      poor substitutions esp taking Salah off
      No plan B

I put a these problems at Klopps door. He's paid to organise, motivate, manage in-game and plan. He's not been here only 5 minutes and things don't seem to be changing. Yes we look great and devastating when his plan A works but we look bloody awful when it doesn't.

We hear plenty of times about  teams doing well with 10 players as their team spirit brings them together to pull out a result. On here it seems to excuse us being totally Sh@te.

We need to be honest and look where the real problem was on Saturday.

I appreciate my view will be irrrelevant to many as I've not made many posts.

Maybe I'm misremembering...wasn't Mane injured last year from a challenge? Can't remember, but seems like it was a bad challenge...no red then was it?
      Kopite78
      Reply #813: Sep 12, 2017 09:40:43 am
      Maybe I'm misremembering...wasn't Mane injured last year from a challenge? Can't remember, but seems like it was a bad challenge...no red then was it?

The Ev one?

Nah it was an accident.
      Baines I think it was got to a loose ball first cleared it up the line as Mane was going for it too, Mane' s knee went the wrong way under him with his and Baines weight  on it.

Alot of injuries are caused by the pace of the game played and fully committed players.
      If you have played the game you know the difference between accidents and when someone is trying to leave one on in an opponent

They should be judged by that in my opinion.
      Trying to set hard and fast rules to a fluid game doesn't work

Quick Reply