Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sevilla?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.4%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.2%)
      Alberto Moreno
      23 (27.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.2%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      13 (15.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      25 (30.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      11 (13.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (8.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Voting closed: Sep 17, 2017 09:40:33 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Sevilla : In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29164 times
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 : In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Sep 13, 2017 09:51:56 pm
      what the heck kind of a performance is that?

slack in front of goal

there keeper did not have to do much

our defence is a complete joke - individually and as a unit.

klopp must ignore them in training

Henderson and Can want to do hollywood passes every time - no matter if its coming off or not

our backward passes r shocking

and we wait until being pegged back and until the time is almost gone to make subs.

not

good

enough

:mad: :mad: :mad:
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,485 posts | 1477 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Sevilla - September 13th 19.45 GMT
      Reply #323: Sep 13, 2017 09:52:05 pm
      F***ing disappointed to say the least,some great work to get us in front just to have it all undone by the usual suspects,it has been mentioned many times before on the forum about our defence and I agree with those who say 'our defence will cost us this season' & it really will.
      I also question our mental strength as when Sevilla equalised we sh*t ourselves,so much so we couldn't  even do the simple things,if we are to progress out the group I've always believed that we had to win our home games at least,I think this is a better point for savilla than us considering  we were the far better side for most of the game.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,047 posts | 339 
      Reply #324: Sep 13, 2017 09:52:15 pm
      I'd have liked to have seen some sign of some of our lads being bothered at the end.  Gleefully swapping shirts and smiles?

Show me you care, FFS.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #325: Sep 13, 2017 09:53:13 pm
      Just take a fecking look at how hendo defended, ran like a bloody 100 year old man and let that Sevilla ran pass him and scored. New captain please.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Sevilla - September 13th 19.45 GMT
      Reply #326: Sep 13, 2017 09:55:08 pm
      Should have won the game, unfortunately the pen miss will be talking point but we had plenty more in that game than just a missed pen that should have been done better. Having said that there was plenty in the game that we did really well too.

Can't give away cheap goals like that, it's just such a pressure to put on the rest of the team.

Ratings:

Karius: Not at fault for either goal, commanded his box really well and was comfortable at his feet. 6.5

Moreno: Excellent performance by Alby, some top crosses, really unlucky not to get his goal which he deserved on that. A couple of rash challenges but overall a very encouraging display. 7.5

Lovren: Shocking for their first goal, didn't look comfortable all night, kicking the ball straight out, going on his own maurading run down an ally and nearly putting us straight in the sh*t, a real contrast to his partner in that respect. 5

Matip: Thought he was decent, some brilliant runs and was actually really close to scoring on one of them. Did have a couple of moments, one when he lost his man and the other where he skied the clearance and then got outbattled for it but still easily our best CB. 7

Gomez: Thought he had some lovely crosses, didn't do that well defensively though and more and more they attacked down our right. No idea what he got the second yellow for because the stream didn't replay it. 5

Henderson: Why does he feel it necessary to run straight past the man on the ball, seemingly trying to nick it if the player turns but he literally just runs past him, it's bizarre. Exposes our defence completely and he needs to stop that right now. Passing was poor apart from the 1-2 with Moreno which was excellent and seems to emit the panic mode that we hit in the last few minutes. 5

Gini: One of his better performances of the season, seemed right up for it and at Anfield too, what a surprise. Unlucky not to score with his volley on the corner clearance and overall thought he was our best central midfielder. 8

Can: Lots of effort but not lots of end product. Lost his man too many times and while he was putting in the effort closing people down he was doing it at poor times when the man on the ball had simple options, that's how you just spend your energy inefficiently. 6.5

Salah: Did well on the night, looks a threat whenever he gets it and technically he's superb. Had a couple of moments where just a slight different angle on the pass and we'd have been in but the decisions were spot on. 8.5 MotM

Mane: Thought he was a little selfish to be honest, should have played his man in a few times and I wasn't surprised to see him subbed out of our front 3. Still had a decent game but looked a bit lethargic in that second half, wouldn't be surprised to see him rested for a game soon. 7

Firmino: Feel for Bobby because people will jump on his back for the pen miss but did so much right on the night. Fantastic movement and should have been slotted in instead of Can when Can missed a glorious chance, Firmino was in an even better position. Had an easy finish after great work by Alby. 7.5

Coutinho: Didn't do too much when he came on to be honest.

Sturridge: Much like Coutinho, could have been forgiven for not noticing he was on.

AOC: Did more in the 5 minutes he had than the other 2 subs but none of them made enough of an impact for a rating.

Klopp: Will be so frustrated with the 2 goals we gave away, one a total F**k up and the other just a simple throw-in where our midfield is absolutely nowhere and then they get a lucky deflection to set it nicely onto his right foot. How none of our players either clear the first or deal with the second I've no idea. Still it's a draw against probably our toughest opponents in the group so it's a result, just not the one we deserved or should have had. 6.5

Not the worst result, feels worse after coming back from 1-0 down and how we performed for 75 minutes.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #327: Sep 13, 2017 09:55:11 pm
      Just take a fecking look at how hendo defended, ran like a bloody 100 year old man and let that Sevilla ran pass him and scored. New captain please.

Actually, new midfield and new defense.:(
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #328: Sep 13, 2017 09:56:01 pm
      In all honesty, I will keep Mane, Salah, Matip and Ox at the moment. The rest can feck off. Either not good enough or too inconsistent.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #329: Sep 13, 2017 09:56:39 pm
      This team has a huge mentality issue. It's so frustrating to see how easy it is for the players to lose grip of them.
      We're lucky to be in a weak group, but if we advance, I seriously doubt we'll make it far in the tournament. If we show that sort of performance in a playoff round we'll be in big trouble.

Plenty of heartbreaks to come this season I fear.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,047 posts | 339 
      Reply #330: Sep 13, 2017 09:57:30 pm
      Credit where its due, I suppose. Sevilla are a unit we underestimated before, and we look as if we've done it again.
      Got to have a solid base to do anything in this league.  We're Liverpool, but we're no longer THAT Liverpool. 
      Jürgen, please have a rethink.  It's entertaining but so were the soddin' Keystone Kops.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #331: Sep 13, 2017 09:59:59 pm
      no team has to be great against us.

just stay in shape and leave 1 attacker against our defenders who will happily give u chances
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #332: Sep 13, 2017 10:00:13 pm
      Should have won the game, unfortunately the pen miss will be talking point but we had plenty more in that game than just a missed pen that should have been done better. Having said that there was plenty in the game that we did really well too.

Can't give away cheap goals like that, it's just such a pressure to put on the rest of the team.

Ratings:

Karius: Not at fault for either goal, commanded his box really well and was comfortable at his feet. 6.5

Moreno: Excellent performance by Alby, some top crosses, really unlucky not to get his goal which he deserved on that. A couple of rash challenges but overall a very encouraging display. 7.5

Lovren: Shocking for their first goal, didn't look comfortable all night, kicking the ball straight out, going on his own maurading run down an ally and nearly putting us straight in the sh*t, a real contrast to his partner in that respect. 5

Matip: Thought he was decent, some brilliant runs and was actually really close to scoring on one of them. Did have a couple of moments, one when he lost his man and the other where he skied the clearance and then got outbattled for it but still easily our best CB. 7

Gomez: Thought he had some lovely crosses, didn't do that well defensively though and more and more they attacked down our right. No idea what he got the second yellow for because the stream didn't replay it. 5

Henderson: Why does he feel it necessary to run straight past the man on the ball, seemingly trying to nick it if the player turns but he literally just runs past him, it's bizarre. Exposes our defence completely and he needs to stop that right now. Passing was poor apart from the 1-2 with Moreno which was excellent and seems to emit the panic mode that we hit in the last few minutes. 5

Gini: One of his better performances of the season, seemed right up for it and at Anfield too, what a surprise. Unlucky not to score with his volley on the corner clearance and overall thought he was our best central midfielder. 8

Can: Lots of effort but not lots of end product. Lost his man too many times and while he was putting in the effort closing people down he was doing it at poor times when the man on the ball had simple options, that's how you just spend your energy inefficiently. 6.5

Salah: Did well on the night, looks a threat whenever he gets it and technically he's superb. Had a couple of moments where just a slight different angle on the pass and we'd have been in but the decisions were spot on. 8.5 MotM

Mane: Thought he was a little selfish to be honest, should have played his man in a few times and I wasn't surprised to see him subbed out of our front 3. Still had a decent game but looked a bit lethargic in that second half, wouldn't be surprised to see him rested for a game soon. 7

Firmino: Feel for Bobby because people will jump on his back for the pen miss but did so much right on the night. Fantastic movement and should have been slotted in instead of Can when Can missed a glorious chance, Firmino was in an even better position. Had an easy finish after great work by Alby. 7.5

Coutinho: Didn't do too much when he came on to be honest.

Sturridge: Much like Coutinho, could have been forgiven for not noticing he was on.

AOC: Did more in the 5 minutes he had than the other 2 subs but none of them made enough of an impact for a rating.

Klopp: Will be so frustrated with the 2 goals we gave away, one a total f**k up and the other just a simple throw-in where our midfield is absolutely nowhere and then they get a lucky deflection to set it nicely onto his right foot. How none of our players either clear the first or deal with the second I've no idea. Still it's a draw against probably our toughest opponents in the group so it's a result, just not the one we deserved or should have had. 6.5

Not the worst result, feels worse after coming back from 1-0 down and how we performed for 75 minutes.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that Luke but I'd swap Henderson and Can scores.

Both were poor but Henderson did set up the first and whilst his passing was off (so was Can's) I thought he did a shift covering the spaces Can left and behind Moreno......

Maybe Emre to me is your Jordan!
      Scottbot

• 9,615 posts | 2159 
      Reply #333: Sep 13, 2017 10:00:13 pm

We are 1990s Newcastle under keegan.

That's what I've been thinking for a little while now!

As for tonight, in the context of the group it's not the worst result. All four teams sitting on a point and all to play for. Probably best to accept our defence for what it is and look forward to seeing Coutinho back in the side as a number 8 and simply aim to score the necessary 3 (sometimes 4) goals we will need to win most games. It'll be fund to watch for the neutrals.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #334: Sep 13, 2017 10:00:45 pm
      Sorry to say this but i cant see us winning thing this season. :(

Klopp stubborn and inflexible in his approach. Subs so late that they may not bother coming on. We may win some will lose more than others.  :f_wah: :mad: :f_steam:

I think i will never see us win PL.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #335: Sep 13, 2017 10:00:56 pm
      The question is; does Klopp has the guts to sell one or two of the big names comes January to show he means business? I'm sure whoever we got in to replace these clown of a defence will not do any worse. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,424 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #336: Sep 13, 2017 10:01:24 pm
      Let's not bring up that missed penalty here. With a defense like that we're capable of conceding multiple goals in a short amount of time. It's so easy to cut through our entire defense. We're lucky to get a point from this game, looking at that last 10 minutes.

Of course the missed penalty was a major factor
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #337: Sep 13, 2017 10:02:25 pm
      Counter attacking 4-3-3 at the start
      Counter attacking 4-3-3 when behind
      Counter attacking 4-3-3 after equalizing
      Counter attacking 4-3-3 when ahead
      Counter attacking 4-3-3 after the equalizer
      Counter attacking 4-3-3 with not so good subs
      Counter attacking 3-3-3 after the red card.

We can blame the players and we may be right for some of the past matches but today's game had the manager's print on it all through.... Poor shape, poor game management, poor subs.

This is NOT a reaction after a 5-0 loss at city.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 835 
      Reply #338: Sep 13, 2017 10:02:40 pm
      I'd agree with pretty much all of that Luke but I'd swap Henderson and Can scores.

Both were poor but Henderson did set up the first and whilst his passing was off (so was Can's) I thought he did a shift covering the spaces Can left and behind Moreno......

What spaces? he was caught out of position multiple times. I'll give you one good pass, but the rest he was just giving away the ball. He is never a DM to be fair because he lacks the attributes to play in that position. He lacks positional sense and he isn't good at tackling.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,047 posts | 339 
      Reply #339: Sep 13, 2017 10:03:15 pm
      The question is; does Klopp has the guts to sell one or two of the big names comes January to show he means business? I'm sure whoever we got in to replace these clown of a defence will not do any worse.

Thing is though, we keep blaming the individual defenders, and there are good reasons for that, but the team as a whole (except ironically, the front lads) just doesn't seem to know how to set up to defend.  That's insane at this level.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #340: Sep 13, 2017 10:03:17 pm
      Sorry to say this but i cant see us winning thing this season. :(

Klopp stubborn and inflexible in his approach. Subs so late that they may not bother coming on. We may win some will lose more than others.  :f_wah: :mad: :f_steam:

Klopp has one of the most imbalance Liverpool squad, a good superb attack, static, slow & mundane midfield and a disastrous defence. Who to blame if it is not Klopp? Plus the owner?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #341: Sep 13, 2017 10:03:37 pm
      Henderson is more a long name than a big name. I've had enough of him now. I'd rather him sold. I don't even want him as a squad player anymore.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #342: Sep 13, 2017 10:04:06 pm
      What spaces? he was caught out of position multiple times. I'll give you one good pass, but the rest he was just giving away the ball. He is never a DM to be fair because he lacks the attributes to play in that position. He lacks positional sense and he isn't good at tackling.

Look at the 2nd goal - Can is nowhere and it's Henderson trying to cover.......

Right before your eyes.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #343: Sep 13, 2017 10:05:10 pm
      that 2nd half performance was pathetic, totally lost our shape and passing when they equalized.

Henderson shouldn't ever play as a DM and to be honest shouldn't be captain either, no leadership to keep the midfield calm and impose authority.
      Lovren is hopeless
      Gomez inexperienced

He did one good thing - the through ball to Moreno for our first goal. And that was it.

Aside from that it was a f**king atrocious performance by Henderson. Side pass, side pass, side pass, back pass. I lost count of the number of times he just ran straight past the ball as if he was blind. Opposition players brushed him off like a feather. He failed to intercept the ball once it seems. And when he did receive the ball he appeared all jittery, shitting himself almost, desperate to get the ball away in sheer fear of doing something wrong...often backwards or sideways. Yes he works hard, harder than most, but a lot of it is wasted energy because of his own lack of awareness and confidence. But he's Liverpool captain? These shouldn't be issues surely?

Just imagine - Henderson is transported back in time to the night of the 8th December 2004 as captain of Liverpool in place of Steven Gerrard - an alternative history. We're 2-1 up against Olympiakos but we need a third to ensure progress through to the next round. The stadium is on edge - just ONE chance and possibly with it ONE goal is all that stands between us having a shot with the big boys in the knockout rounds or slogging away once more in the UEFA Cup. The commentators up in the gantry are anticipating an exciting crescendo - choosing their words carefully for what promises to be a spectacular end to the match! It's just going into the 90th minute and then.... for this exciting climax we go to Martin Tyler commentating live for Sky Sports!

=======

Martin Tyler: Riise, it's a bit strong. Here's Carragher, trying to stay cool. Mellor....lovely cushioned header to HENDERSON...who goes back to Riise on the left...it's just not materialising for Liverpool.

93rd minute

Martin Tyler: Well the three minutes of added time are up, the referee looks at his watch...and that's it. Liverpool are sent crashing out of Europe. They are winners on the night here at Anfield but that failure to bag that all important third goal means that they'll have to make do with the UEFA Cup. The crescendo we were promised at 2-1 did not materialise in the end and sadly for them it's a disappointing return ultimately for Liverpool in the Champions League.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #344: Sep 13, 2017 10:05:39 pm

:D

Could be mate. Emre got the higher score due to his effort to be honest, the lad really did put in a shift but I agree that he doesn't know what's going on around him enough of the time, or nearly enough of the time. It was a problem that was raised about his game early on, that awareness just isn't there.

Hendo was a tough one to score because he did some things well and when the closing came off it was fine but so often he just ghosted past his man, but unfortunately he was ghosting past the man with the ball, not with the ball himself :D I just couldn't get my head around that, doing it once or twice you think mistimed but doing it 4 or 5 times and it started really pissing me off. Time and again the space in the middle would then be enormous and we were lucky not to concede better chances on the back of those moments and while we weren't punished it was no thanks to Hendo. Also thought his passing was really poor, aside from the 1-2 of course, lots of aimless passes just hit into the corners that are clearly played for Salah/Mane to run on to, but they're not just 40/60 passes, they're passes that give our lads no chances and with those time and again the speedsters will be bloody knackered by the time they get a decent one.

So yeah, just frustrated me mate, nothing new there though as you know too well :D

Quick Reply