Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sevilla?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.4%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.2%)
      Alberto Moreno
      23 (27.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.2%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      13 (15.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      25 (30.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      11 (13.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (8.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Voting closed: Sep 17, 2017 09:40:33 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Sevilla : In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29086 times
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 : In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Sep 13, 2017 10:23:49 pm
      Klopp will never say bad things abbout us but fuuuuuuuuk me is just not seeing what rest of the world is seeing with liverpool midfield and defense.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #369: Sep 13, 2017 10:28:26 pm

Hardly the end of the world that result. One of the two hardest games (in theory) we'll have in the group and they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves. While that f**king sucks, it is still all there on the tape to improve from. I've been saying this for years so who knows if they'll ever actually work it out, but I'm still less angsty when I see a Liverpool team look far better and just f**k it themselves, rather than be soundly beaten all over the pitch and look like a second rate side. Maybe just me, but this group is easily still there for the taking. I don't know if anyone expected to win every group game, I certainly didn't.

Move on. Smash Burnley at the weekend. Coutinho only just starting to get back into things. Spartak in a couple weeks will have to deal with a Mane coming off a couple weeks rest. Good luck.

I am just depressed seeing  the front three doing so well while 7 behind them are crap and Klopp refuses to acknowledge/fix it. We do have other players apart from side-pass Henderson, Can can and Gini. FFS try other players Klopp for God’s sake, they cant do any worse.

No Mane for two PL games mate and we will miss him big time.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,975 posts | 237 
      Reply #370: Sep 13, 2017 10:29:18 pm
      Smash Burnley at the weekend. Coutinho only just starting to get back into things. Spartak in a couple weeks will have to deal with a Mane coming off a couple weeks rest. Good luck.

The only problem with the plan is somebody farting and falling on their ass while defending a rare attack on the goal.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #371: Sep 13, 2017 10:38:19 pm
      A typical frustrating Liverpool performance. Should've been game over at half time, took our foot off the gas, and the usual amateurish defending screws us again.

Not the end of the world, but I'd like to quality from the group with games to spare. We don't want to be going to Spain on matchday 6 needing a result.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #372: Sep 13, 2017 10:38:29 pm
      Not the worst result bearing in mind the other two teams results.

I sound like a broken record shouting at the TV with the same errors seen so regularly.

Nothing to say about Lovren because he should not even be at the club never mind getting a new contract earning £100k a week, just let that sink in, what is wrong with this club?

Matip really has had a free ride so far and although he was not directly involved in the errors leading to they're goals it was also noticeable that he was actually no where to be seen, a recurring theme with him when ever we concede goals. His positioning leaves a lot to be desired, the answer could be that he is all over the place covering for errors in the other defenders but seeing as though our gentle giant shits out if so many challenges I have come to the conclusion that the only reason Matip doesn't concede as many errors as Lovren is because he isn't where he should be!

TAA last week and Gomez today the 9th richest club in the world and we are relying on babes against a savvy European team  :lmao:
      Absolute joke that Klopp has morphed into Wenger.

Huge gamble from Klopp in the last window and he will be held responsible.

Henderson and Can both vied for the worst players on the pitch, Hendo because he wouldn't get into our Sunday league team as his passing was that bad, not even going to get into his positioning as a DM where he was constantly bypassed.
      Can strolling around occasionally flicking his hair into positioning, seems like his mind is maybe at Juve.

On a plus our attack should not have to rely on scoring 3-4 goals every match.

Felt for Firmino crying at the end.

Not the end of the world but some serious work required on training pitch and January can't come quick enough.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #373: Sep 13, 2017 10:41:25 pm
      Why don't Klopp comes round here and read what many of us have written. Almost the same message put in different ways. Based on today's game I will just make Matip a temporary Captain for his surging runs. Those forward runs by Matip I'll take it as a sign of frustration towards our midfield, most probably hendo. not driving the team forward. Our midfield is as porous as a sieve at the moment.

It starts with our slow midfield that gave the opposition all the time in the world to re-group once they lost possession and what did Klopp do? Still trying to build from the back when the opposition closed down all the space. Sevilla players were moving players swiftly towards Gomez when he is in possession of the ball to close down the space and we still think that we're a WWII Tiger Tank that can break through their players instead of quickly switching play to the other side and swiftly attack down that flank while Sevila players committed at Gomez's end will be too far away to track back to cover.

Did we see a familair pattern of play developing in the opposition? Weak right back, close down the space in midfield, outmuscle them and regain possession, they'll attack down the same flank, suffocate them and with the help of their slow and weak midfield will make our job easier because they only know side and back passes they can't bite by moving forward swiftly and aggressively. To start with, they don;t have the speed, skills and aggression in midfield to do that. Does Klopp sees what i saw in our midfield and yet did nothing in the last 3 years?   

Does our midfield actually has the the speed, skills and toughness to break through the opposition midfield at the moment to become a constant threat? Probobly no,  once in a long while perhaps so. Not a constant threat throughout the game. That's where our main weakness is at the moment, in midfield. Slow, cumbersome, weak mentally and physically in defending and attacking and zero vision moving forward.
      « Last Edit: Sep 13, 2017 10:53:37 pm by redkop63 »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #374: Sep 13, 2017 10:43:31 pm

Absolute joke that Klopp has morphed into Wenger.

Considering we literally have video evidence from two weeks ago of how ludicrous this statement is, it is clear this thread is currently overreaction central :D Let me know when the train arrives at a platform of sanity.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #375: Sep 13, 2017 10:47:17 pm
      Not the end of the world but some serious work required on training pitch and January can't come quick enough.

Why do that to yourself mate?  :D
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #376: Sep 13, 2017 10:50:11 pm
      I am just depressed seeing  the front three doing so well while 7 behind them are crap and Klopp refuses to acknowledge/fix it. We do have other players apart from side-pass Henderson, Can can and Gini. FFS try other players Klopp for God’s sake, they cant do any worse.

No Mane for two PL games mate and we will miss him big time.

No, won't happen, Klopp is too stubborn and has too much faith in his players and tactics not suited for the job and the PL and he will not admit it. I was just thinking, could we have done better with Lucas still around" At least he puts in those tackles, ok clumsy at times but at least he moved the ball forward fast enough instead of Mr. Sideway Hendo, that killed our attack before it even gets started.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #377: Sep 13, 2017 10:51:05 pm

Considering we literally have video evidence from two weeks ago of how ludicrous this statement is, it is clear this thread is currently overreaction central :D Let me know when the train arrives at a platform of sanity.

Maybe when we stop seeing the same culprits being picked every week or maybe even when Klopp realises he can spend money and relegate some of the current donkeys at LFC.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #378: Sep 13, 2017 10:57:06 pm
      Why don't Klopp comes round here and read what many of us have written. Almost the same message put in different ways. Based on today's game I will just make Matip a temporary Captain for his surging runs. Those forward runs by Matip I'll take it as a sign of frustration towards our midfield, most probably hendo. not driving the team forward. Our midfield is as porous as a sieve at the moment.

It starts with our slow midfield that gave the opposition all the time in the world to re-group once they lost possession and what did Klopp do? Still trying to build from the back when the opposition closed down all the space. Sevilla players were moving players swiftly towards Gomez when he is in possession of the ball to close down the space and we still think that we're a WWII Tiger Tank that can break through their players instead of quickly switching play to the other side and swiftly attack down that flank while Sevila players committed at Gomez's end will be too far away to track back to cover.

Did we see a familair pattern of play developing in the opposition? Weak right back, close down the space in midfield, outmuscle them and regain possession, suffocate them and with the help of their slow and weak midfield will make our job easier because they only know side and back passes they can't bite by moving forward swiftly and aggressively. To start with, they don;t have the speed, skills and aggression in midfield to do that. Does Klopp sees what i saw in our midfield and yet did nothing in the last 3 years?   

Does our midfield actually has the the speed, skills and toughness to break through the opposition midfield at the moment to become a constant threat? Probobly no,  once in a long while perhaps so. Not a constant threat throughout the game. That's where our main weakness is at the moment, in midfield. Slow, cumbersome, weak mentally and physically in defending and attacking and zero vision moving forward.

All fair mate, while people have, with quite some justification, been quick to criticise the defence I've seen plenty of issues in our midfield that has me worried.

I'll say that we've had to play without both Lallana and Coutinho, both of them have been massive misses and contrary to many other players I believe the work Lallana does both off the ball in terms of being the initiator of our presses but also on the ball in setting the tempo and breaking the lines has been markedly missed. For me this has put the pressure on the likes of Henderson and Can to do things they're really weak at doing and is exposing them both in certain areas of their game. What Jürgen does to address this will be the interesting part for me because to really make this team work I think both the 8 and 6 role in our team need better players on a consistent basis than either of these lads.

Sure there's the whole "should Henderson be captain" well right now I think he's struggling to justify his place in the team let alone captaincy. The only thing keeping him in there is the injuries/lack of fitness of others in my opinion. When Lallana and Coutinho get up to top speed then there'll be one place for any of Gini/Can/Hendo and Gini clearly isn't a 6 so it's a straight fight between our two weakest midfielders (when at home) in my opinion.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #379: Sep 13, 2017 10:57:38 pm
      Do find it slightly odd that a someone who misses a penalty gets sympathy while others get abuse, yeah managers have favorites but so do fans
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #380: Sep 13, 2017 11:04:56 pm
      Man...

Just wasn't good enough.

We were definitely the better team and deserved to win but Lovren fu**ed us over at the back and Firmino was toothless at the front, took his goal well but wasn't in the game other than that. Can was sh*te, Gini and Henderson showed no urgency at all.

Poor show overall, not end of the world bad... But gives me no confidence that we can kill a game off.

Moreno was good though...
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #381: Sep 13, 2017 11:06:30 pm
      Do find it slightly odd that a someone who misses a penalty gets sympathy while others get abuse, yeah managers have favorites but so do fans

Sympathy?? You do realize he also scored the equalizer right? And who else in that team would you rather have picked to take the penalty?
      Not the best game from Firmino but seriously if the missed penalty was the only issue you could see with that performance then you're the one who has an agenda here.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #382: Sep 13, 2017 11:09:46 pm
      Rio and Lampard had it spot on at the end. We sorely lack a leader.

Did you hear Frank saying you keep getting told to move and mark or something by your vocal leader and actually try and do before they can tell you to do it.

Can't wait for Keita to come in next year. Just wondering whether we will actually play him.

I mean we signed a few this year and only one gets a game haha

Oh and Lovren is a useless piece of sh*t. All he had to do was put his foot through it, F**k even a touch would have probably done it.

Then just kicking the ball into touch twice for no reason. Do him and Mignolet train eachother?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #383: Sep 13, 2017 11:10:36 pm
      How is Lovren still a starting central defender?

It was always going to be a disaster pretending we didn't desperately need quality additions to the defence.

Absolutely no faith they'll fix it in January.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #384: Sep 13, 2017 11:12:11 pm
      Sympathy?? You do realize he also scored the equalizer right? And who else in that team would you rather have picked to take the penalty?
      Not the best game from Firmino but seriously if the missed penalty was the only issue you could see with that performance then you're the one who has an agenda here.

Did i say it was the only issue ? Of course defence is the biggest concern but to say it wasn't a major relevance to the result is ridiculous
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #385: Sep 13, 2017 11:29:38 pm
      Rio and Lampard had it spot on at the end. We sorely lack a leader.

Did you hear Frank saying you keep getting told to move and mark or something by your vocal leader and actually try and do before they can tell you to do it.

Can't wait for Keita to come in next year. Just wondering whether we will actually play him.

I mean we signed a few this year and only one gets a game haha

Oh and Lovren is a useless piece of sh*t. All he had to do was put his foot through it, f**k even a touch would have probably done it.

Then just kicking the ball into touch twice for no reason. Do him and Mignolet train eachother?

To me, to you!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #386: Sep 13, 2017 11:30:11 pm
      Dejan Lovren.. How the F**k he ends up starting I'll never know. He's a F***ing liability and always will be.Useless the whole game. just hoofing the ball high and wide everytime he touched it throughout the whole game, and as our main centre half that was a piss poor performance.
      Midfield was sh*te and let's face it there really was no excuse tonight ;
      Can - Woeful
      Henderson - Woeful, not only as a player but F**k me, he's our captain FFS !! No voice at all.

Bad substitutions second half from Klopp, the game was crying out for a Woodburn or a Solanke not Studge who made absolutely no difference what so F***ing ever !.. even Coutinho did F**k all, waste of time.

Well pissed off.. I'm off to pour myself a f***in large one !..

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #387: Sep 13, 2017 11:44:53 pm
      Did i say it was the only issue ? Of course defence is the biggest concern but to say it wasn't a major relevance to the result is ridiculous

The fact is, with Milner being left out of the squad, we don't have a reliable penalty or free kick taker right now. I'm disappointed he didn't score but he's hardly to blame for the draw and it's unfair to suggest that people spare him the criticism because he's fan favorite.
      FYI, I voted Moreno for MOTM even though I'm one of his biggest critics on here and I wasn't at all confident seeing him on the team sheet tonight (EL final came to mind).
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #388: Sep 13, 2017 11:51:12 pm
      I sound like a broken record shouting at the TV with the same errors seen so regularly.

I kind of look like this while watching us:

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #389: Sep 13, 2017 11:58:01 pm
      https://twitter.com/Ifcmatt/status/908093943606333440

If we do go in for VvD in January (please god) then the price just went up another £10m. I know Jürgen is saying that we need to concentrate more and it's up to others to shout/coach/whip into line but there comes a point when you simply accept some players are accidents waiting to happen and we've known this for a long time about Lovren.

Sure Jürgen can claim that he went for VvD and all the rest of it but when you watch our CBs and then listen to him defend them they really do owe him some bloody good performances for that massively overspent loyalty.

There comes a time Jürgen when lines must be drawn and acceptances made. You can coach a lot of things but to coach the calamitous nature of players and that god given ability to just F**k up the simplest of tasks can't, in my opinion, ever be fixed.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #390: Sep 14, 2017 12:01:30 am
      Going to be another rollercoaster season watching us, but hard to see us winning anything defending like we do.

Covers many people's comments really.  You can be nearly men - edge into top four, get to quarter finals/semi finals but it's very hard to go all the way when you can't defend.

Noticeable now for me that the midfield is not offering enough protection to the back four, who (Matip apart) aren't particularly good.  Lovren falling over for their first was pretty standard.  Their second they picked up the ball from the throw under absolutely no pressure - not sure what Henderson was doing there.

Silly initial yellow card as well from Gomez for the shirt tug.  Just so needless - highlights his immaturity really (and probably the unconscious belief he had that Lovren wouldn't help him out).

Doesn't look like we're getting a defender anytime soon - can't imagine us doing anything of interest in note in January. 

I'm fairly positive though in the sense that I think just changing Henderson and Lovren could make a fairly significant difference.  Keita will be next summer and hopefully a quality centre-back to join him.

Also, I'm struggling to see the reason behind the purchase of Oxlade Chamberlain.  We've paid £35M for a player who we could have signed for free next summer and he's playing 3 minutes of a game at Anfield.

Quick Reply