Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sevilla?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.4%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.2%)
      Alberto Moreno
      23 (27.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.2%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      13 (15.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      25 (30.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      11 (13.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (8.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Voting closed: Sep 17, 2017 09:40:33 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Sevilla : In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29151 times
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 : In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Sep 14, 2017 10:35:47 am
      ....with more chances of finishing second....

If the Europa loss didn't motivate this bunch to beat the sh*t out of Sevilla and win the game, I am not sure what exactly will motivate them.

Cue more interviews from players on "how they are going to work hard", "learn from the mistakes" etc...

During the Europa competition from the moment we got into the knock out stage I always believed at some point our defence would F**k up and end up getting us knocked out. During the two legged games we kept making defensive mistakes but some how pulled ourselves out of the fire.

When we make the final I thought our name must be on the cup, at half time I was convinced we would win easily. All we had to do was defend well for 20 minutes and I was sure we would get some great chances on the break and end up winning by 3 or 4 goals.

We lasted 17 seconds before Moreno made two mistakes and gifted them a goal.

18 months later and we are basically seeing the same

It's F***ing criminal
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #438: Sep 14, 2017 10:39:24 am
      And this mentality is what is wrong with our players and some fans.

To be honest I am fuming absolutely F***ing fuming
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #439: Sep 14, 2017 10:46:48 am
      Same old same old really wasn't it? We play well and we should have gotten the win but as usual our defending lets us down and we drop points. We're back to where we were under Rodgers in the sense that we need to score 3 or 4 goals to make certain of the win because we know at some point we are likely to concede.

I've not seen any replays of the game so I am going off memory from last night and where I was sat.

Karius - I thought he did well. Instead of all this nonsense and putting us under pressure by passing it out from the back that he previously did (and what mignolet still does) he just got rid of it whenever it came near him and I definitely prefer that. He wasn't tested much though, I don't remember Sevilla having many shots on target, and he could do nothing about either goal.

Gomez - Defensively ok but at times going forward you can see he is a natural CB and not an attacking RB. Thought he was unlucky to get a second yellow but I'll have to see it again. Played well though.

Lovren - Definitely a big reason why we conceded the first goal and I'll have to see the replays of the second but I remember thinking he was all over the place for that one too. In general he was awful too, decision making dreadful, positioning all wrong, rash at times and the icing on the cake was when he was kicking the ball out for a sevilla throw when he was under zero pressure but still couldn't find a red shirt with a pass. He is just awful.

Matip - He was doing well for most of the game, bringing the ball out from the back and defensively solid too. Then towards the end he put us in all kinds of danger and had we faced better opposition then I think we would have been punished.

Moreno - A steady performance. Our equaliser was a great goal and most of it was down to Moreno. He is still rash in a tackle at times and i thought he was a red card waiting to happen. His positioning is still horrendous at times too. He has, however, improved somewhat and overall, it was an ok performance.

Henderson - I've had enough of this whopper now. Never known anybody to captain Liverpool with very few qualities and who is just a massive shithouse with no bottle. What do people see in him? I think he's f**king crap. Without the ball, he's actually decent. He covers a lot of ground and he has tons of energy. With the ball though he is so basic, so average, his decision making is woeful, he constantly puts the responsibility onto other players which is incredible considering he is skipper. Nobody was ever going to live up to Stevie but f**k me, Henderson isn't even a 10th of the captain he was. He is an absolute shithouse in a tackle as well, proper girl.

Can - He has improved a lot in the last few months Can but last night he was sh*te. Everything he touched went to plop.

Wijnaldum - Was by far the better of the three in midfield, he had a good game. He frustrates me Gini because he plays very well in certain games and then away from home at WBA or some sh*te like that you won't notice him. He did well last night though, really battled, worked hard, got involved in our play.

Mane - Electric first half and then second half they seemed to handle him a little bit better. What a player this lad is though, i think he is world class.

Firmino - Typical Firmino performance, battled throughout and showed tons of quality at times too. In the right place at the right time to score the equaliser and you can't get any more unlucky than hitting the post on a penalty either. Another good game.

Salah - My motm. The only criticism I have of Mo is his end product can be a little bit better, he can improve on that. Everything else is spot on though and i thought he was superb last night. Got lucky with his goal when it took a big deflection but if you don't shoot, you don't score and he deserved goal from his all round play anyway. Very good performance from Salah, best player on the pitch.

To summarise, neither Henderson or Lovren are good enough for LFC. We were the better team but didn't take enough of our chances. We limited Sevilla to very few chances but unsurprisingly they still scored 2.  I've come to accept now that until we sort that shambles of a back five out, we won't win anything.

Spot on, Henderson is sh*t and I don't care what anyone says. I've had enough of this imposter leading this team, it's embarrassing watching him pass to someone because he never wants to take responsibility.

Drop him, stick Can there and bring Coutinho into the three.

I would honestly rather have Milner in place of Henderson.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #440: Sep 14, 2017 11:04:26 am
      Spot on, Henderson is sh*t and I don't care what anyone says. I've had enough of this imposter leading this team, it's embarrassing watching him pass to someone because he never wants to take responsibility.

Drop him, stick Can there and bring Coutinho into the three.

I would honestly rather have Milner in place of Henderson.

Even the other week when he was through on goal V Hoffenheim and he passed to Firmino annoyed the sh*t out of me. Could you imagine Stevie squaring that pass? No F***ing chance. He would have put his foot through the ball, burst the net and sent us through to the group stages right in front of the kop. Suarez would have too. Even F***ing carragher would have shot! Proper leaders. Proper men.

That shithouse squared it and put the responsibility onto firmino's shoulders. Everything turned out ok, he got the weight of the pass right and Firmino didn't fall over or miskick the ball, but had something gone wrong I think I would have ran on the pitch and speared Hendo.

He annoys the sh*t out of me. No bottle and a very, very average footballer. Yeah he can run, yeah he can cover ground, but if you want that then give F***ing mo farah a game.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 237 
      Reply #441: Sep 14, 2017 11:22:13 am
      As long Lovren/Moreno/Gomez/TAA will be our starting defensive players, we will not win anything and we will be frustrated. Its just lacking any quality. TAA/Gomez are great potential, but they can't be out starting players. Moreno is improving a lot and he is not our main problem.

Lovren is disaster and can't believe we extend contract. I would prefer any senior CB in league over him.

We also lack leadership in midfield. Hendo is never captain material and i just can't wait next season with Keita in our midfield.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #442: Sep 14, 2017 11:56:34 am
      Yet, unbelievably, I have read fans (who regularly mock Mignolet) state that Karius was not at fault for either goal, and commanded his area well.

He wasn't at fault for either goal.  Sorry mate.  Karius has had mares in the past but last night wasn't one of them.  And he came out and claimed some decent crosses.

Karius is on a learning curve upwards whilst we've watch Mignolet get no better at being hopelessly inconsistent for, what, 4 seasons?

Karius might become a great keeper - Mignolet never will be.  And that's the top and bottom of it.

As long Lovren/Moreno/Gomez/TAA will be our starting defensive players

Watching the second goal again - they were just all totally unprepared for the quick throw.  Henderson's near the touchline, near the man Gomez should be marking.  There's a midfielder free with 6 players nowhere near him.

Moreno is having to cover the man that Lovren should be picking up and Matip could have been tighter at the edge of the box.  Just poor all around.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #443: Sep 14, 2017 01:07:42 pm
      I won't bore you all with usual defensive frailties stuff, as we're all bored of repeating ourselves.  The thing that strikes me the most over the past few year though, is how EASY we are to score against.  That may seem like an obvious statement, but for all our attacking threat, it usually takes a hatful of chances for us to score 3 or 4, whereas a team will have for example, 6 shots against us, 3 on target and will often score 2.  Chance conversion against us seems to have been so high for so long, hence we're always nervous when the opposition has the ball in our final third. 

Can you think of many teams that have been easier to score against than us?  You can look at our defensive record the past few years and criticise the number of goals conceded, but the number of chances conceded wouldn't be that much higher.  The opposition know they only need a couple of half decent efforts to get a goal against us.  We are just far too easy to score against! 

No analysis on this, but I'd hazard a reasonable guess that our attack generally creates a lot more chances than our defence concedes.  Last night being a case in point. 
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2017 01:16:34 pm by skamp »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #444: Sep 14, 2017 01:14:25 pm
      Quiz
      Finish off this well-known phrase for a bonus point:

"Sevilla had 2 shots on target and..."

...  our keeper failed to save them.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #445: Sep 14, 2017 01:18:13 pm
      Quiz
      Finish off this well-known phrase for a bonus point:

"Sevilla had 2 shots on target and..."
      Precisely; this happens all to often.  Too easy to score against. 2 decent efforts on our goal = 1 or 2 goals conceded.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4993 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #446: Sep 14, 2017 01:19:53 pm
      About 10 minutes before they scored I said to my son "You can see it now, 2-1 up, coasting, dominating, and bam! It's 2-2."

It's getting so predictable.

Similar mate, i could sniff after 10 of the second half, after 30 it was positively reeking, and then it happened, i lost the stream just after but i couldn't be arsed to try and find it so listened on lfctv,

Bobby's pen miss turned it for me, had he scored i reckon it could have been 5,

Still, the other draw levelled things out so i reckon it will come down to goal diff as to who tops the table at the end of the league stage.

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #447: Sep 14, 2017 01:43:52 pm
      Watching the second goal again - they were just all totally unprepared for the quick throw.  Henderson's near the touchline, near the man Gomez should be marking.  There's a midfielder free with 6 players nowhere near him.

No, you're talking total sh*t here JD, there's absolutely no evidence to suggest we could be that poor from a simple throw in:

https://twitter.com/Anfield_Talk/status/908276469662720000

:f_doh:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #448: Sep 14, 2017 01:50:42 pm
      No, you're talking total sh*t here JD, there's absolutely no evidence to suggest we could be that poor from a simple throw in:

Look at F***ing Lovren
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #449: Sep 14, 2017 01:52:15 pm

The very definition of switched on and alert you mean, ready to atone for the earlier sh*t show.

Leading by example that fella, future captain by all accounts! (j/k)
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,501 posts | 1492 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #450: Sep 14, 2017 02:06:05 pm

The very definition of "not defending as a unit."

Or in our case, just not defending. I'm so sick of hearing "we can't defend." Because it's true.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #451: Sep 14, 2017 02:08:35 pm
      The very definition of switched on and alert you mean, ready to atone for the earlier sh*t show.

Leading by example that fella, future captain by all accounts! (j/k)

F***ing F**k!

Can't make sense of why the F**k we didn't address our defensive woes in the transfer market.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #452: Sep 14, 2017 02:12:27 pm
      We were just above average last season and to "strengthen", this season, we bought 'just above average' players: ignoring the spine along the way.

What the F**k do you all expect? 😞

You're getting there but you will, eventually, ignore the tools (who need to spin this and baffle with bullshit) and the penny will drop. 😉

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #453: Sep 14, 2017 02:15:52 pm

Do my eyes deceive me or is he looking at the floor?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #454: Sep 14, 2017 02:18:52 pm
      Do my eyes deceive me or is he looking at the floor?

Looks like his trying to catch Karius eye, probably only just realized it is not Mignolet in goal.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #455: Sep 14, 2017 02:26:54 pm

Oh my F***ing god.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #456: Sep 14, 2017 02:31:02 pm
      That's just basic defending, if these lot can't do that then not sure how much coaching Klopp goes on about will make a ounce of difference.

Matip and Lovren should be bawling at those in front to get into shape and if not then the Captain needs to take responsibility instead he is stood on the wrong side also!

Absolutely no one organising has been one of the major issues why we concede so meekly along with we have no players with defensive nous.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #457: Sep 14, 2017 02:38:24 pm
      Hendo is sh*te , how can a pro footballer only use the inside of his feet
      Sydney side foot
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,501 posts | 1492 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #458: Sep 14, 2017 03:12:28 pm
      In Henderson, I see a hard working grafter who has average technical ability, who can see every pass possible but doesn't have the ability to pull them off. I see a player who tries, really hard every game he plays, but isn't a leader (it was Can who pacified Mane with an arm around the shoulder and a word in his ear as he leads him off the Etihad pitch). I see a player who is willing to run all day but has a natural inclination to pass sideways and back rather than bomb forward with the ball. I see a player who is average most of the time, but now and again has good games. I see a player who is a good option off the bench when we need a fresh pair of legs with 30 mins go to, but is not a starter and certainly not captain material.

I would love to know what Klopp sees in Henderson, because whatever it is, it's made him our captain.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #459: Sep 14, 2017 03:17:41 pm
      Our defence are such a 'game leveller' so to speak - that Sevilla team were F***ing sh*te last night yet still managed to get away with a 2-2 draw (might have won it too when we gifted them a one on one in the last min).

Quick Reply