Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (4.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (4.2%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      4 (5.6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      4 (5.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      49 (68.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      3 (4.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      3 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2017 04:55:13 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30988 times
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Sep 16, 2017 05:23:16 pm
      Think we end up 6 or 7 in league these year
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #346: Sep 16, 2017 05:27:01 pm
      I disagree mate, it was our finishing that cost us today. 35 shots, 12 corners, 9 on target should have more than 1 goal to show for it.

Sturridge had 4 great chances, Trent with a volley near the end, Solanke one off the bar, Coutinho with god knows how many chances to put the right man in rather than shoot. Men over all over the place, it's just nerves and lack of composure that makes players not choose to pass and try to force it.

The anxiety of the crowd, their own personal anxiety too makes these players choose the wrong option but it has to stop because we could have had loads there in truth but the usual crowd will be "bus parkers, blah blah" when the chances were all there.

As for Trent, no idea what happened to his crosses today, guessing nerves and weight of expectation to be honest because he's shown he's far, far better than that.

As good as those numbers are, I don't think we really created any clear cut chance today. Many of those shots were desperate attempts and were never going in. Those few on target were also difficult ones to score. Even our goal was more due to Salah's brillance.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #347: Sep 16, 2017 05:29:38 pm
      Well if its so easy why don't we do it and look to counter attack, we have the speed?

Exactly my point. We are not a ball possession team, we should try to become a Burnley team with a far superior offense. (Trust me, if we play like Burnley, our defense will look sharper too.) The problem: Klopp wants to go into the opposite direction.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #348: Sep 16, 2017 05:32:25 pm
      Exactly my point. We are not a ball possession team, we should try to become a Burnley team with a far superior offense. (Trust me, if we play like Burnley, our defense will look sharper too.) The problem: Klopp wants to go into the opposite direction.

I honestly believe we are incapable of playing defense like Burnley. We don't have the players for it nor does Klopp know how to set up a team to play defense.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #349: Sep 16, 2017 05:33:28 pm
      Oh I agree with you that its the execution that is the issue rather than the tactics, but that also comes down to the manager and coaching, as I said do we EVER practice finishing because out lads are generally bloody useless at it, there skills levels are very poor. Oh and a plan B would be very very nice to have as well. Let me put it like this why is it teams like Chelsea and Citeh have no bloody  problems smashing teams like Burnley whilst we still do?

Dunno if you know but Burnley have already beaten the Chavs away and drawn with Spurs away so they're no mugs at this bus parking and we had plenty if we'd just had composure.

While you say that trait is down to the manager, I'm not sure it is, one of those you can lead a horse to water situations it usually comes when you mature and get experience rather than get it coached into you is my opinion on that one.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #350: Sep 16, 2017 05:34:15 pm
      Still haven't computed how Solanke doesn't score.

A few people on here would tell you all our scoring problems would be solved with Daniel Sturridge, the striker, in our team.  Obviously not.

Obviously I don't know the state of the players fitness but we probably should have left Firmino there - played Coutinho instead of Mane and left Wijnaldum in the middle.

All hindsight and as much as I want to rip into the players it wasn't like they didn't have shots.  Just f**king frustrating and I hope it doesn't happen again for a long time.

Dunno if you know but Burnley have already beaten the Chavs away and drawn with Spurs away so they're no mugs

Forum followers of the league analysis thread will have already spotted their excellent results.  ;)
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #351: Sep 16, 2017 05:35:26 pm
      Pathetic

3 months of faffing about ... and now the next 9 months paying for it.

Just waiting for the excuses to set in ... like 'perspective ... they won at chelsea etc'

Here are the facts ... 8 games played and 14 goals shipped.

Watford was called a decent point by some ... glad that was put into 'perspective' today.

Wtf leave can and milner on the pitch ... if there were any likely matchwinners they were the 2 he took off. Firmino could have been left out of the cup game

No motm as far as im concerned.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #352: Sep 16, 2017 05:37:57 pm
      A few people on here would tell you all our scoring problems would be solved with Daniel Sturridge, the striker, in our team.  Obviously not.

That part will be ignored when the knives get sharpened later mate.

I thought he was extremely poor, sure some of that can be blamed on sharpness but for a short time there it was up to the other lads to develop the move, get it to either Coutinho or Sturridge and just watch them sky shot after shot or waste chance after chance. That kind of sh*t winds me up no end, especially when there are far better options available and the irony of Sturridge looking at others when they had a shot rather than pass  deep into the game.

Practise what you preach fella, play the game like a team game and make the quality you have left count because he can pass a ball very well when he actually bothers to, the same for Coutinho. Those two (Mignolet aside) were actually the chief culprits of why we didn't score more today.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #353: Sep 16, 2017 05:38:14 pm
      I honestly believe we are incapable of playing defense like Burnley. We don't have the players for it nor does Klopp know how to set up a team to play defense.

He did it with Dortmund in his best years with players not better than we have. They played "come, attack me and give me space and I will counter-attack you"-footbal and became double champ in Germany. Look at Atletico Madrid, that's how we should play. For ball possession football you need an incredible talent level on offense and defense. It's much easier to let the opponent attack and wait like a spider. Burnley, Watford & Co. show it for more than a year to us, how effective that strategy is.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #354: Sep 16, 2017 05:38:54 pm
      Klavan hardly covered himself in glory today? Aside from the goal every time he was in possession during that second half he just stood there looking back over his shoulder sh*t scared of crossing or passing over the halfway line.

Some people on here (apologists for Lovren or Klavan) want to blame Matip yet at least he shows drive and ambition on the ball. As well as this I genuinely believe he is the only defender in that team who has the temperament to play coolly but because the idiot in goal behind him can't and his defenders alongside him can't inevitably that will catch him out.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #355: Sep 16, 2017 05:42:07 pm

What do you expect from someone who's compromised by Klopp during the last 4 weeks? Migs played well last season. Now he looks like a scared man.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #356: Sep 16, 2017 05:44:33 pm
      Klavan hardly covered himself in glory today? Aside from the goal every time he was in possession during that second half he just stood there looking back over his shoulder sh*t scared of crossing or passing over the halfway line.

Some people on here (apologists for Lovren or Klavan) want to blame Matip yet at least he shows drive and ambition on the ball. As well as this I genuinely believe he is the only defender in that team who has the temperament to play coolly but because the idiot in goal behind him can't and his defenders alongside him can't inevitably that will catch him out.

Spot on FMS, you can see it all day long, he wants to be composed and basically treat opposition players with contempt but there's that level of trepidation that is in the anxious looks to those he wants to work with. Knowing they'll drop his cocky play in the sh*t and make him look an idiot rather than actually drawing midfielders/defenders out of position.

His runs into the opposition defence are a joy to watch, really does make stuff happen and his goal-line clearance today bailed Mignolet right out of sh*t because he'd gone wandering for a quick interview or perhaps to grab his phone for a tweet or two because he was nowhere near the actual threat again.

Top class defender but unfortunately while he's paired with accidents waiting to happen his personal confidence is always going to take a knock or two. You need people you can rely on or god forbid actually bail you out occasionally to really boost that cockiness and arrogance that I think he has all day long when we actually get him an able partner and keeper.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,975 posts | 237 
      Reply #357: Sep 16, 2017 05:45:50 pm

, the same for Coutinho. Those two (Mignolet aside) were actually the chief culprits of why we didn't score more today.

Coutinho especially. In the first half, Robertson was making the runs and there were acres and acres of space on the left. But he chose to either make a stupid pass or go glory hunting. Don't know if Klopp gave him an earful during the break because he started passing to Robertson after the break. But, that didn't stop him from going for glory. Yes, he has a wonderful shot and all that, but, he chose to be indulgent when there were better options available.

But, to be fair to him, this shoot and hope wasn't restricted to him as the entire team seemed to have been frustrated by the dogged defence and lack of a opening and everyone seemed to be shooting from outside the box.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #358: Sep 16, 2017 05:51:01 pm
      Coutinho especially. In the first half, Robertson was making the runs and there were acres and acres of space on the left. But he chose to either make a stupid pass or go glory hunting. Don't know if Klopp gave him an earful during the break because he started passing to Robertson after the break. But, that didn't stop him from going for glory. Yes, he has a wonderful shot and all that, but, he chose to be indulgent when there were better options available.

But, to be fair to him, this shoot and hope wasn't restricted to him as the entire team seemed to have been frustrated by the dogged defence and lack of a opening and everyone seemed to be shooting from outside the box.

Stuck out like a sore thumb mate would have put Bertie through tho you could bet your house on it
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #359: Sep 16, 2017 05:54:51 pm

I thought Coutinho was our only source of creativity today (besides perhaps Salah in the first half). Sure he could have been a little more unselfish but it's not like we haven't seen him try and score from those shots before. The lad just looked rusty and seemed to try too hard to compensate for that.
      And it's not like Robertson actually did anything good with his crosses today. Both wing backs were terrible today I thought.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #360: Sep 16, 2017 06:02:44 pm
      What bothers me most is that it's no longer surprising.

Seems like I have been watching that game every fortnight for my entire life.

The decision to go into this Champions League season with so little added will only look worse with time.
      « Last Edit: Sep 16, 2017 06:07:25 pm by KS67 »
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,975 posts | 237 
      Reply #361: Sep 16, 2017 06:06:34 pm
      I thought Coutinho was our only source of creativity today (besides perhaps Salah in the first half). Sure he could have been a little more unselfish but it's not like we haven't seen him try and score from those shots before. The lad just looked rusty and seemed to try too hard to compensate for that.
      And it's not like Robertson actually did anything good with his crosses today. Both wing backs were terrible today I thought.

Thought Salah seemed to be in the thick of things. Not saying Coutinho didn't create anything, but, IMO he was the culprit in chief for our poor performance in the attacking third. I don't know if he was trying too hard or trying to be indulgent (like Can was in the Sevilla game).

In the first half we seemed to have forgotten that we could attack on the left. All our attacks seemed to be coming from the right.  Agreed on Robertson's quality of crosses. But, the quantity of crosses seemed to be less in all fairness.
      rossyred

• 9,260 posts | 1659 
      Reply #362: Sep 16, 2017 06:13:31 pm
      Some players seem untouchable from critiscism Matip and Firminho. Matip at fault for goal no one else. And as for Firminho if he isnt selected as CF he is non existent wide
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #363: Sep 16, 2017 06:17:39 pm
      We dominated the sh*t out off that game. We were very unlucky not to get all the points today.
      Some of our shot choices were poor Can and Coutinho being the main culprits.
      Sloppy goal to concede as usual, but with a choice of Klavan or Lovren its to be expected.

For the record, we had 7 more shots today than Man City who won 6 nil!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #364: Sep 16, 2017 06:17:55 pm
      Matip at fault for goal no one else.

Him and Klavan are at fault for the goal. Matip was weak but Klavan was just stood their watching and scratching his ass
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #365: Sep 16, 2017 06:20:28 pm
      Some players seem untouchable from critiscism Matip and Firminho. Matip at fault for goal no one else. And as for Firminho if he isnt selected as CF he is non existent wide

Everything good Firmino does was taken by pushing him out wide though. You look at him through the center.

He pops up everywhere, tracks back all over the pitch and is probably the most creative player we have to set up mane and Salah.

Not to mention the amount of times he wins the ball in the centre of the pitch starting attacks.

None of that with studge, should have been a straight swap mane for ox in my opinion with bobby staying where he is most effective.

It also didn't help with Coutinho single handedly trying to start and finish every attack whenever he got the ball.

Shockingly poor team play from him today so much so that the crowd actually cheered when he finally passed to Robertson in the second half
      Scottbot

• 9,598 posts | 2156 
      Reply #366: Sep 16, 2017 06:21:56 pm
      We are also missing Clyne right now, TAA is shaky back there, he's a talent but he needs some time to develop and Gomez has spent too much time in the weights room and is slow in the turn.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #367: Sep 16, 2017 06:27:26 pm
      Still haven't computed how Solanke doesn't score.

Obviously I don't know the state of the players fitness but we probably should have left Firmino there - played Coutinho instead of Mane and left Wijnaldum in the middle.

All hindsight and as much as I want to rip into the players it wasn't like they didn't have shots.  Just f**king frustrating and I hope it doesn't happen again for a long time.

Forum followers of the league analysis thread will have already spotted their excellent results.  ;)

Compared to last season's stretch of poor results against defensive sides, I thought we had more ideas today, mixing attacks down teh wing and through the middle. We did create chances (not 35 chances, but chances). But again we are not lethal enough and again we are a heart attack (mine) whenever the ball approaches our penalty area.

It's September 16 however. I don't know anything else but to get behind the team and trust a turnaround in results.

Quick Reply