Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

We AREN'T going to win the league this season, it's OK, get used to it.

Read 17824 times
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Re: We AREN'T going to win the league this season, it's OK, get used to it.
      Reply #115: Sep 28, 2017 01:22:22 pm
      If you think Klopp has him in the team just for his pressing, I'd suggest you are barking up the wrong tree, because he does so much more than that, and is the main reason Salah and Mane find so much space.
      Pressing is the primary mode by which the team looks to create, and then hit other teams on the counter. If teams make mistakes (like Watford, Arsenal, Hoffenheim, Spartak, Leicester) then the team creates a lot, and at times converts a good amount to get some big numbers.

When teams sit back like Burnley, or Crystal Palace, everything slows down. You cannot see how effective midfielders are, and those forwards with no space to run into (bar Mane) look absolutely lost most of the time. Now, bypass that midfield, or hopefully get some opportunities to cross in the ball into the box, and you are guaranteed to have a good chance presented to you by some shoddy defending.

The defense is not better (at least not at this moment), but the attack has more goals, and more pace. To compete, you need to balance the two, and that is not the case at the current moment.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #116: Sep 28, 2017 01:26:48 pm
      Well I did say you can interpret those numbers how you like, so I didn't have a "point" in there, they were for you to make your own mind up, draw your own conclusions.

That your conclusion from them is that "Niasse is boss" is very interesting  :lmao:.

I can't be the only dude of a certain vintage picturing Herve Villechaize (diminutive guy from Fantasy Island) saying

"Niasse is boss, boss; Niasse is boss"

Then again, maybe I am  :f_doh:

If you guys think I am actually serious and think Niasse is boss then you need to lay off the drugs.

I was just saying that if you are basing goals in terms of minutes played then Niasse looks pretty damn good. But it's stats and that doesn't mean everything.

Firmino will be slated because of his goal ratio and not scoring enough for a number 9. Yet back to my original point, if you are basing it purely on the stats then Niasse is the one to have. But who in their right mind would swap Firmino for Niasse?...

But again, and I state it again in case you take it too seriously, I don't actually think Niasse is boss.

Don't see the point in posting a load of stats like that, with no point and with players included that have played such little football in terms of some of the others. Niasse could have played as long as Firmino but still only have the 2 goals for all we know.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #117: Sep 28, 2017 01:31:17 pm
      Firmino is a luxury we can't afford right now.

Who else are we meant to play? Sturridge hasn't shown anything to justify playing there either.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #118: Sep 28, 2017 01:32:50 pm
      Pressing is the primary mode by which the team looks to create, and then hit other teams on the counter. If teams make mistakes (like Watford, Arsenal, Hoffenheim, Spartak, Leicester) then the team creates a lot, and at times converts a good amount to get some big numbers.

When teams sit back like Burnley, or Crystal Palace, everything slows down. You cannot see how effective midfielders are, and those forwards with no space to run into (bar Mane) look absolutely lost most of the time. Now, bypass that midfield, or hopefully get some opportunities to cross in the ball into the box, and you are guaranteed to have a good chance presented to you by some shoddy defending.

The defense is not better (at least not at this moment), but the attack has more goals, and more pace. To compete, you need to balance the two, and that is not the case at the current moment.

Like I said, he's not there just for his pressing.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #119: Sep 28, 2017 01:56:25 pm
      If you guys think I am actually serious and think Niasse is boss then you need to lay off the drugs.

I was just saying that if you are basing goals in terms of minutes played then Niasse looks pretty damn good. But it's stats and that doesn't mean everything.

Firmino will be slated because of his goal ratio and not scoring enough for a number 9. Yet back to my original point, if you are basing it purely on the stats then Niasse is the one to have. But who in their right mind would swap Firmino for Niasse?...

But again, and I state it again in case you take it too seriously, I don't actually think Niasse is boss.

Don't see the point in posting a load of stats like that, with no point and with players included that have played such little football in terms of some of the others. Niasse could have played as long as Firmino but still only have the 2 goals for all we know.

They're also posted on Firmino's worst run and City's/United's best run. Chances created, he was almost the best in the entire league last season from open play; considering he doesn't take free-kicks that's about as fair a comparison as you can get. That's the role Klopp wants him to play, lead the press, create the chances and knock a fair amount in yourself. If our attack bangs in 45 goals (15 or so each) then we'll be fine and I'd wager with anyone that they will, with ease this season.

As for those pretending he isn't quick, go and watch our 5 v 2 break-away, Firmino is the quickest player in the picture, but he's doing defensive work and therefore is behind our front-line. You know the way Danzel clearly explained in his fantastic post, but tactics will be ignored and you'll hear "he should" be the one furthest forward when in truth he defends better than both Mane and Salah, he also releases players quicker and has a wider range of passing than those two. He's also more likely to win an aerial duel than those two and running with the ball those two are quicker. So they were in the correct places tactically, but no, the ones that want to be on his back and pretend he's slow will say he was in the 'wrong' place, wrong according to only them of course.

There are stats currently doing the rounds that show we concede the least amount of shots, yet our opponents convert the most amount of chances. Conversely we create the most amount of chances yet convert the least amount of them. Anyone with a brain knows that ratio will not continue, the hardest part is clearly the first part of each of those statements and I guarantee both departments will improve but now is seemingly the ideal time to stick the knife in, you know when someone is at their weakest. Quality that.

In truth it's been brewing for a while and it's good to see them finally get it off their chest because it was getting tiresome listening to them pretend with all the "I rate Firmino, but" posts. Same as the "I rate Kenny, but" posts and the "Rafa is a good manager, but", there's a pattern that isn't hard to recognise. Now that people can see the knife firmly stabbed and the joy with which it's being done, the next time that they pretend they rate these players/managers treat their words with the disdain they deserve.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #120: Sep 28, 2017 02:11:32 pm
      They're also posted on Firmino's worst run and City's/United's best run. Chances created, he was almost the best in the entire league last season from open play; considering he doesn't take free-kicks that's about as fair a comparison as you can get. That's the role Klopp wants him to play, lead the press, create the chances and knock a fair amount in yourself. If our attack bangs in 45 goals (15 or so each) then we'll be fine and I'd wager with anyone that they will, with ease this season.

As for those pretending he isn't quick, go and watch our 5 v 2 break-away, Firmino is the quickest player in the picture, but he's doing defensive work and therefore is behind our front-line. You know the way Danzel clearly explained in his fantastic post, but tactics will be ignored and you'll hear "he should" be the one furthest forward when in truth he defends better than both Mane and Salah, he also releases players quicker and has a wider range of passing than those two. He's also more likely to win an aerial duel than those two and running with the ball those two are quicker. So they were in the correct places tactically, but no, the ones that want to be on his back and pretend he's slow will say he was in the 'wrong' place, wrong according to only them of course.

There are stats currently doing the rounds that show we concede the least amount of shots, yet our opponents convert the most amount of chances. Conversely we create the most amount of chances yet convert the least amount of them. Anyone with a brain knows that ratio will not continue, the hardest part is clearly the first part of each of those statements and I guarantee both departments will improve but now is seemingly the ideal time to stick the knife in, you know when someone is at their weakest. Quality that.

In truth it's been brewing for a while and it's good to see them finally get it off their chest because it was getting tiresome listening to them pretend with all the "I rate Firmino, but" posts. Same as the "I rate Kenny, but" posts and the "Rafa is a good manager, but", there's a pattern that isn't hard to recognise. Now that people can see the knife firmly stabbed and the joy with which it's being done, the next time that they pretend they rate these players/managers treat their words with the disdain they deserve.

Wasting your time trying to reason mate.  Let's wait for the next installment of brilliant threads that wil further highlight the "I'm behind the manager but..." maybe another "on par" or "points per game" thread?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #121: Sep 28, 2017 02:35:43 pm
      So lets get this straight, then I won't offend anybody.

1. You ARE allowed to talk about Rodgers and his shiny teeth, how he "flipped the triangle", how he's a sh!t manager because Barcelona spanked them last year, how his clothes are funny, how he was "totally out of his depth and a failure at Liverpool". All of that is not just OK, it gets you pluses and it is encouraged. You are allowed to refer to him in every thread and accuse other posters of "stroking his cock".
      HOWEVER, if you have the cheek to point out a stat which shows that so far our results haven't improved much/if at all since he was f***** off, it's blasphemy. NOTE-It is OK to point out stats which clearly show that we've improved out of all recognition, that gets you pluses and gets encouraged.
      Similarly, openly abusing anyone who dares to say anything positive about Rodgers is absolutely cool.

2. You ARE allowed to doubt Jürgen's selection policy and completely disagree with him. That is obviously as long as you are either talking about either Lovren or Mignolet. If it's anybody else, (with the possible exception of Can) it's frowned upon. It is OK to accuse posters who dare to do this as "believing they know more about football than Jürgen". If you have the cheek to wonder whether or not we might be better off playing Bobby Heskey at number 10 and playing a genuine number 9, then you obviously hate Jürgen completely, hate Firmino and think he's sh!t/should play for Doncaster, and want to suck TPM's todger. Matip has a similar ring of fire surrounding him, any posts wondering whether Teflon might have made a mistake is to be shouted down instantly, it's author abused freely.

3. Transfer funds. Just in case you've missed it, the rules have now changed. The self same posters who constantly posted "Rodgers spunked 300 million the useless c***!" are now telling us that Jürgen has only spent 17 million quid. You've guessed it, NET TRANSFER SPEND IS NOW BACK IN!! (keep up everyone). Any reference to the possibility that those who said "Jürgen doesn't buy big", "develops people on the training ground" etc were perhaps talking bollocks is to be either ignored or disputed with posts which begin "What I actually said was...".

4. Anyone who disagrees with anything whatsoever the manager does, must before they post it up here ask themselves "do I have the same amount of information as Jürgen?". If they don't (and they don't), then they shouldn't complain or post on here, they should try and understand WHY Jürgen has done something they disagree with.****

**** Obviously not if it's a comment about the Mignolet/Lovren axis, then it's Ok to not have any information other than the "knowledge of your own eyes that both are sh!te", and you can criticise away.

The last thing I want to do is offend anyone, so if I've got any of this wrong please let me know. Ta.
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2017 02:59:21 pm by bigmick »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #122: Sep 28, 2017 03:28:55 pm

Jaysus I'd almost forgot that... remember when we were told that ppg [and nothing else] was how we should "compare" and "measure Jürgen's progress"?

How did that end up - I can't remember ever reading the outcome? I'm guessing not too favourably or we would have heard.

Still... that was then; right?

Big fan of Bobby's; always have been and have never hidden it. In fact - Bobby being played 'out of position', under BR, was a major bugbear of mine [and of other folk but they have probably forgotten].

Boy but I'd love to see him in play around, behind and alongside a dedicated striker.

Back to a previous post... January - do you think we will even try to strengthen?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #123: Sep 28, 2017 03:44:33 pm

Back to a previous post... January - do you think we will even try to strengthen?

Nope. Two straight windows and so far we have Salah (who is settling in quite nicely I might add) to show for it.

It's hard for a Premier League team to buy good players donchu know?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #124: Sep 28, 2017 03:45:20 pm
      You ARE allowed to doubt Jürgen's selection policy and completely disagree with him. That is obviously as long as you are either talking about either Lovren or Mignolet. If it's anybody else, (with the possible exception of Can) it's frowned upon.
      Just lifted one excerpt by way of example and it's spot on.

They are either thick beyond belief (and don't know they do it) or just hypocritical fucksticks.

One self proclaimed authority on Jürgen hasn't stopped mewling about Hendo (amongst others) for years now but you [Mick] complain about Bobby and the little turd leads the charge against you for being disloyal - joined of course by other wee F**k-knuckles, too daft to think for themselves.

These moronic, yellow turds are grown men for fucks sake. 😂😂😂

harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #125: Sep 28, 2017 03:51:25 pm

They are either thick beyond belief (and don't know they do it) or just hypocritical fucksticks.

One self proclaimed authority on Jürgen hasn't stopped mewling about Hendo (amongst others) for years now but you [Mick] complain about Bobby and the little turd leads the charge against you for being disloyal - joined of course by other wee f**k-knuckles, too daft to think for themselves.

+1 for squeezing "fucksticks" and "F**k-knuckles" into the same post.  Had you managed to get a "F**k-tard" in there, you'd have hit the F***ing holy trinity!!   😂
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #126: Sep 28, 2017 03:53:13 pm

One self proclaimed authority on Jürgen hasn't stopped mewling about Hendo (amongst others) for years now but you [Mick] complain about Bobby and the little turd leads the charge against you for being disloyal - joined of course by other wee f**k-knuckles, too daft to think for themselves.

Hendo's a funny one. Much like Lallana it used to be OK to say he should be "nowhere near a red shirt", now he's the second coming. Lallana actually fits into that category which proves Jürgen is "great at improving players on the training ground", the two most obvious examples at the moment are apparently him and Moreno. I have less faith personally that Moreno has actually improved, I tend to put it more down to coincidence and the fact we haven't played anybody any good while he's been in the team to explain his lack of f*** ups. They'll come I'm sure of it, and when they do I won't be blaming Jürgen for them.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #127: Sep 28, 2017 04:02:30 pm

1. You ARE allowed to talk about Rodgers and his shiny teeth, how he "flipped the triangle", how he's a sh!t manager because Barcelona spanked them last year, how his clothes are funny, how he was "totally out of his depth and a failure at Liverpool". All of that is not just OK, it gets you pluses and it is encouraged. You are allowed to refer to him in every thread and accuse other posters of "stroking his cock".
      HOWEVER, if you have the cheek to point out a stat which shows that so far our results haven't improved much/if at all since he was f***** off, it's blasphemy. NOTE-It is OK to point out stats which clearly show that we've improved out of all recognition, that gets you pluses and gets encouraged.
      Similarly, openly abusing anyone who dares to say anything positive about Rodgers is absolutely cool.

2. You ARE allowed to doubt Jürgen's selection policy and completely disagree with him. That is obviously as long as you are either talking about either Lovren or Mignolet. If it's anybody else, (with the possible exception of Can) it's frowned upon. It is OK to accuse posters who dare to do this as "believing they know more about football than Jürgen". If you have the cheek to wonder whether or not we might be better off playing Bobby Heskey at number 10 and playing a genuine number 9, then you obviously hate Jürgen completely, hate Firmino and think he's sh!t/should play for Doncaster, and want to suck TPM's todger. Matip has a similar ring of fire surrounding him, any posts wondering whether Teflon might have made a mistake is to be shouted down instantly, it's author abused freely.

3. Transfer funds. Just in case you've missed it, the rules have now changed. The self same posters who constantly posted "Rodgers spunked 300 million the useless c***!" are now telling us that Jürgen has only spent 17 million quid. You've guessed it, NET TRANSFER SPEND IS NOW BACK IN!! (keep up everyone). Any reference to the possibility that those who said "Jürgen doesn't buy big", "develops people on the training ground" etc were perhaps talking bollocks is to be either ignored or disputed with posts which begin "What I actually said was...".

4. Anyone who disagrees with anything whatsoever the manager does, must before they post it up here ask themselves "do I have the same amount of information as Jürgen?". If they don't (and they don't), then they shouldn't complain or post on here, they should try and understand WHY Jürgen has done something they disagree with.****

**** Obviously not if it's a comment about the Mignolet/Lovren axis, then it's Ok to not have any information other than the "knowledge of your own eyes that both are sh!te", and you can criticise away.

The last thing I want to do is offend anyone, so if I've got any of this wrong please let me know. Ta.

My thought are that everything Klopp does, football related is fair game. He knows that, all this "we have to be fully informed" is nonsense. A football discussion site is just that. Some are better informed than others but the point of a site like this is everybody to have their say regardless of their level of knowledge.
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #128: Sep 28, 2017 04:32:33 pm

Do you really not know the reason why both managers are treated differently?

To put it bluntly, it's because one had ACTUALLY achieved things before joining us, the other hadn't. When Rodgers came here it was his first real gig, he had one good season out of three and a bit, completely seemed to ditch his philosophy at the end and bought mostly terrible players. You can blame the transfer committee for the latter but it's clear Rodgers never had (and probably never will have) the same player-pulling power that Klopp has, just because of their reputations. Do you really believe we would've completed a signing at the level of Keita with BR in charge? Or that Coutinho would've stayed this summer if the TPM was still here? That's not a criticism of TPM btw; when you are new at a top-level job you need to build your connections, but you only do that by putting your name out there and actually achieving something, which Rodgers never did. Klopp came here a two-time Bundesliga winner, a Champions League finalist, probably the first manager since Rafa that actually came here with a real reputation behind him. Hence he was nowhere near as risky an appointment as Rodgers was, because he has actually proved he can deliver at the highest level. This automatically earns him more respect, and more trust that he will eventually get it right, because he's done it before.

Why did you not mention Moreno in this? He has also had his starting position clearly questioned, and he was also a Rodgers signing wasn't he? Or is it not good to mention him when Jürgen took him out for a year, helped him to improve and we are seeing a slightly better version this season? You can criticise Matip all you want but the fact is he is likely the best centre-half we have bought since Daniel Agger (which may be a sad indictment of our CB's if anything else) and he came as a free, through Klopp's contacts. It may hurt seeing him get praise because of this, just like it may hurt seeing people praising TAA over Clyne (surprise, he was another Rodgers signing right?) or the fact that Salah is doing so well, which means that we should remind everyone he was actually just a committee-target when Rodgers was here. The fact that people are now mentioning missing Lallana - let's quickly jump on that and remind everyone who signed him (totally forgetting he was sh*t when he started off here but clearly improved under Klopp).

Trust me, net spend is not a good argument to use for the TPM-backers. Rodgers had a net spend of approx £156M over his period as manager here, equating to £39M a season. Klopp in comparison has a total net spend of just £37M over 2 seasons. Not forgetting the simple facts that Rodgers had Suarez upon arrival (though I don't dispute he helped to improve him) while Klopp came here with a disjointed attack comprising a big lump up top with no wide men to feed him.

4. Anyone who disagrees with anything whatsoever the manager does, must before they post it up here ask themselves "do I have the same amount of information as Jürgen?". If they don't (and they don't), then they shouldn't complain or post on here, they should try and understand WHY Jürgen has done something they disagree with.

Again, this comes back to point 1. If you seriously don't believe Jürgen doesn't rack his head about all the faults that get mentioned about the team on this forum, then you are deluded. It was much easier to doubt TPM though and as you say yourself, he "lost the fans" in the end.

I thought I'd just end this post by posting about Firmino and the "system" again. Did anyone pick up or remember when there was commotion regarding Aguero at City and whether he remained in Guardiola's plans? The blasphemy that such a prolific striker in the English Premier League (the hardest league in the world, and the BEST or so I'm told) was struggling for game time and Pep couldn't fit him into his system? Because he didn't do enough work outside scoring goals, he didn't press that much, he didn't offer much outside the penalty box? Yeah, its crazy isn't it? Another top-level coach not seeing what seems so blindingly obvious. These coaches have their reasons, sometimes it seems like things are being over complicated for no reason, but they are in their jobs FOR A REASON, because they understand football to a different level than us. Get that in your head, and stop comparing it to the treatment that Rodgers got because it's like chalk and cheese.

Going back to that example, of course you can say that Aguero has started for a few games and he's in prolific form, scoring left right and centre. Maybe Pep realised he couldn't keep him out, or maybe he helped him to improve his all-round game, I really don't know since I don't watch City's games. But the fact that they are winning games so comprehensively at the moment clearly indicates that having Aguero (as part of a two striker system) clearly works for them. Do you not think Klopp has tried working out something similar with Sturridge? Maybe having Mane up top with him etc? Do you not think he has seen everything at his disposal, and seen that the current system is getting him pretty much 2 goals a game, and when your attack is THAT good, then you should maybe concentrate more on reducing the defensive errors rather than trying to increase your goals output even further?
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2017 04:39:19 pm by Guruji »
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #129: Sep 28, 2017 04:38:50 pm

This is a convoluted post.

1) If there was a better midfield base, one that could create against teams that park the bus but also one that could press and counter too or sit deep and park the bus, one that offered more protection to the mistake ridden defense and goalkeepers, then all you would need from your striker would be goals.
      United have spent a lot of money last season and this season trying to get their midfield sorted, and it looks to have worked. Paul Pogba is playing better this season, and playing a more attacking style has seen United score for fun. I do not think that they will continue at the current rate because they will begin to face better teams, but on the face of it, investing in midfield and freeing up those ahead has worked wonders for them to the point where they do not have to bother with things like does your striker press/defend?

2) There is nothing wrong with a false 9, but there is something wrong in people thinking that just because someone drops deep it is an excuse to not score goals. The best false 9's in the last decade are Lionel Messi and Robin Van Persie; they could spend most of their time in midfield and still score for fun. The closest to that was Alexis Sanchez last season when he was starting as a forward.

3) We need to get rid of these chances created stats. Remember the game away to City when the only good chance created was for Salah in the first half, and City scored off their first good chance from De Bruyne to Aguero? Remember the game against Sevilla when up 2-1, the team did not create anything worth mention in the second half other than speculative shots and ended up drawing the game.......now compare these to the game against Spartak. The quality of the chance created matters and this is most of the times lost somewhere.

4) City, Arsenal, Tottenham all look to press and all look to play a high line. Now, apart from Firmino, the other striker that really works his socks off is Harry Kane, and he spends a good amount of time coming deep with Alli running beyond. These teams are conceding fewer goals. You also do not hear of how their striker pressing is prerequisite to a starting place in the first team.

To this point, I always say, people remember Ronaldo, Pires, Robben, Gerrard off the wing and from this age they will remember Hazard, Sanchez as world class players. No one in their right mind puts Kuyt in this class, and all his hard work off the wing.

In the same vein, people remember Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Drogba, Van Persie, Torres and I suspect that if Lukaku's production is in and around the 30 goal mark for most of his career, he will be up there. Honestly think that if Sturridge was not so injury prone, he would be up there too.

By the way, I do not think that Firmino is the reason the team will not win anything if that is to happen, that will be because the team lacks balance, and it concedes way too many goals. That said, it would be great if he started finishing chances (and I am not talking penalties here) and begins to be consistent. One game he is bright, the touch is surreal and he is involved, the next it is gash and he is missing.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #130: Sep 28, 2017 04:50:22 pm
      My thought are that everything Klopp does, football related is fair game. He knows that, all this "we have to be fully informed" is nonsense. A football discussion site is just that. Some are better informed than others but the point of a site like this is everybody to have their say regardless of their level of knowledge.

Point is, unless you have all the facts at your disposal, you can't really say that a mistake has been made, or that a decision is wrong.
      At best, it's just a guess, and yet people try to give what is an opinion the weight of truth, and use it to justify abuse of players, manager etc etc which in turn just makes it an ego trip for those who insist on presenting their opinion as fact.
      On the other hand opinions are good to read, sometimes interesting, sometimes insightful, but they aren't the truth some try to portray them as.

So for example, Klopp plays Moreno instead of Robertson.
      I mean, it couldn't possibly be that he is slowly integrating him into his setup, no, according to those who have a penchant for hyperbolic bullshitting, it's because the player has been forced on him, and he clearly doesn't rate him (completely disregarding Klopps words about the lad when he joined us)

Or Coutinho comes off after 60 minutes, which Klopp explains in his presser; match thread is awash with what a disaster it is, how it cost us the game, what a huge mistake it was, and all this after Klopp says "it was always the plan for him to play 60 minutes" which of course gets ignored.

There's hundreds of examples of this every week, and all it shows is that the people who do it don't give a F**k about discussion, and are here to pursue some strange agenda or simply to wind up other posters, and they do this while all the time pretending to support the club.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #131: Sep 28, 2017 04:57:57 pm
      Jaysus I'd almost forgot that... remember when we were told that ppg [and nothing else] was how we should "compare" and "measure Jürgen's progress"?

How did that end up - I can't remember ever reading the outcome? I'm guessing not too favourably or we would have heard.

Depends what time frame you consider a good judge of form?

5 games? 2 ppg.
      10 games? 2.1 ppg.
      Half a season? 2 ppg.

Klopp replaced Rodgers October 2015.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #132: Sep 28, 2017 04:59:46 pm
      Do you really not know the reason why both managers are treated differently?

To put it bluntly, it's because one had ACTUALLY achieved things before joining us, the other hadn't. When Rodgers came here it was his first real gig, he had one good season out of three and a bit, completely seemed to ditch his philosophy at the end and bought mostly terrible players. You can blame the transfer committee for the latter but it's clear Rodgers never had (and probably never will have) the same player-pulling power that Klopp has, just because of their reputations. Do you really believe we would've completed a signing at the level of Keita with BR in charge? Or that Coutinho would've stayed this summer if the TPM was still here? That's not a criticism of TPM btw; when you are new at a top-level job you need to build your connections, but you only do that by putting your name out there and actually achieving something, which Rodgers never did. Klopp came here a two-time Bundesliga winner, a Champions League finalist, probably the first manager since Rafa that actually came here with a real reputation behind him. Hence he was nowhere near as risky an appointment as Rodgers was, because he has actually proved he can deliver at the highest level. This automatically earns him more respect, and more trust that he will eventually get it right, because he's done it before.

Why did you not mention Moreno in this? He has also had his starting position clearly questioned, and he was also a Rodgers signing wasn't he? Or is it not good to mention him when Jürgen took him out for a year, helped him to improve and we are seeing a slightly better version this season? You can criticise Matip all you want but the fact is he is likely the best centre-half we have bought since Daniel Agger (which may be a sad indictment of our CB's if anything else) and he came as a free, through Klopp's contacts. It may hurt seeing him get praise because of this, just like it may hurt seeing people praising TAA over Clyne (surprise, he was another Rodgers signing right?) or the fact that Salah is doing so well, which means that we should remind everyone he was actually just a committee-target when Rodgers was here. The fact that people are now mentioning missing Lallana - let's quickly jump on that and remind everyone who signed him (totally forgetting he was sh*t when he started off here but clearly improved under Klopp).

Trust me, net spend is not a good argument to use for the TPM-backers. Rodgers had a net spend of approx £156M over his period as manager here, equating to £39M a season. Klopp in comparison has a total net spend of just £37M over 2 seasons. Not forgetting the simple facts that Rodgers had Suarez upon arrival (though I don't dispute he helped to improve him) while Klopp came here with a disjointed attack comprising a big lump up top with no wide men to feed him.

Again, this comes back to point 1. If you seriously don't believe Jürgen doesn't rack his head about all the faults that get mentioned about the team on this forum, then you are deluded. It was much easier to doubt TPM though and as you say yourself, he "lost the fans" in the end.

I thought I'd just end this post by posting about Firmino and the "system" again. Did anyone pick up or remember when there was commotion regarding Aguero at City and whether he remained in Guardiola's plans? The blasphemy that such a prolific striker in the English Premier League (the hardest league in the world, and the BEST or so I'm told) was struggling for game time and Pep couldn't fit him into his system? Because he didn't do enough work outside scoring goals, he didn't press that much, he didn't offer much outside the penalty box? Yeah, its crazy isn't it? Another top-level coach not seeing what seems so blindingly obvious. These coaches have their reasons, sometimes it seems like things are being over complicated for no reason, but they are in their jobs FOR A REASON, because they understand football to a different level than us. Get that in your head, and stop comparing it to the treatment that Rodgers got because it's like chalk and cheese.

Going back to that example, of course you can say that Aguero has started for a few games and he's in prolific form, scoring left right and centre. Maybe Pep realised he couldn't keep him out, or maybe he helped him to improve his all-round game, I really don't know since I don't watch City's games. But the fact that they are winning games so comprehensively at the moment clearly indicates that having Aguero (as part of a two striker system) clearly works for them. Do you not think Klopp has tried working out something similar with Sturridge? Maybe having Mane up top with him etc? Do you not think he has seen everything at his disposal, and seen that the current system is getting him pretty much 2 goals a game, and when your attack is THAT good, then you should maybe concentrate more on reducing the defensive errors rather than trying to increase your goals output even further?

Good post that, well put.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #133: Sep 28, 2017 05:04:17 pm

5 games? 2 ppg.
      10 games? 2.1 ppg.
      Half a season? 2 ppg.

Interesting, that.

It shows we are becoming more consistent, at least.
      Peaks and troughs are flattening out, if viewed as a trend line.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #134: Sep 28, 2017 05:12:03 pm
      Or that Coutinho would've stayed this summer if the TPM was still here?
      Suarez did... if you are applying your own logic, of course.

Oh the "timeframe" was quite specific mate... Jürgen's first season here. The season that league position stopped being a good indicator.

But... I'll listen to anything: ppg, win percentage, goals scored - anything.

Say over their first 70 premier league games? Seems fair. 😎
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #135: Sep 28, 2017 05:16:17 pm

5 games? 2 ppg.
      10 games? 2.1 ppg.
      Half a season? 2 ppg.

Cheers JD, good to see it so clear.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #136: Sep 28, 2017 05:18:48 pm
      Oh the "timeframe" was quite specific... Jürgen's first season here. The season that league position stopped being a good indicator.

But... I'll listen to anything: ppg, win percentage, goals scored - anything. Say over their first 70 premier league games? Seems fair. 😎

Think Brendan had a few more points didn't he. Your not attempting to try and wind me up are you?

You asked a question. I answered it. If you've got a point to make, make it.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #137: Sep 28, 2017 05:22:17 pm
      On my computer the graph disappears over the edge of the screen and I can't make head nor tail of it.

Quick Reply