Trending Topics

Next match: Palace v LFC [Premier League] Sun 23rd Jan @ 2:00 pm
      Selhurst Park

Today is the 21st of January and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W11 D5 L7

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 15688 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,718 posts | 5151 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #100: Oct 30, 2021 11:13:44 pm
      unbeaten in 21 games in all comps.

Yet I’m sure we’d all happily swap places with the Chavs who are ahead of us despite losing a game.
      Unfortunately when you draw 40% of your first 10 games, a defeat doesn’t make a huge amount of difference because City have lost twice but are only 2 points behind us so I don’t look too much into unbeaten runs.

Arsenal went a whole season unbeaten but still failed to achieve a points total as high as what us and City have done despite losing games.

With having more options in defence than the midfield at the moment and the midfield looking vulnerable on days like today, we should’ve gone gone for Matip in place of Jones for 3 CBs and wing backs when it was 2-1. Trent and Robbo would’ve been an extra number to help out in the midfield without the defence being left too exposed. I know Klopp doesn’t like that formation but there’s a reason why we’ve conceded so many whilst Chelsea have conceded so few and that’s it.
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2021 11:19:30 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 550 
      Reply #101: Oct 31, 2021 04:48:59 am
      Yet I’m sure we’d all happily swap places with the Chavs who are ahead of us despite losing a game.
      Unfortunately when you draw 40% of your first 10 games, a defeat doesn’t make a huge amount of difference because City have lost twice but are only 2 points behind us so I don’t look too much into unbeaten runs.

Arsenal went a whole season unbeaten but still failed to achieve a points total as high as what us and City have done despite losing games.

With having more options in defence than the midfield at the moment and the midfield looking vulnerable on days like today, we should’ve gone gone for Matip in place of Jones for 3 CBs and wing backs when it was 2-1. Trent and Robbo would’ve been an extra number to help out in the midfield without the defence being left too exposed. I know Klopp doesn’t like that formation but there’s a reason why we’ve conceded so many whilst Chelsea have conceded so few and that’s it.

Everything about this post is dead nuts. This is the formation of live to see us adapt to atm. We have the perfect FBs for this system, and a MF that needs all the help they can get
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,809 posts | 407 
      Reply #102: Oct 31, 2021 05:27:59 am

its a 3 points difference dude. We are 10 games in. With a lot of midfield injuries. Chill 4 sec. LOL
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,841 posts | 524 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #103: Oct 31, 2021 09:06:37 am
      The midfield was weak yesterday,particularly Ox and Jones, but we have a small squad and that is one of the prices.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 869 posts | 177 
      Reply #104: Oct 31, 2021 09:11:10 am
      I would like another midfielder in January just because in the main we do have a midfield that picks up injuries Hendo, Fab, Thiago, Keita, Milner do pick up a lot of injuries and Gini never did. How is Gini doing at PSG? last I heard not great, Jan loan move 😬🤔.. Not likely tbh, I wonder if Klopp would look at the loan market?
      Who was the DM who played at Preston could he feature at some point?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,993 posts | 680 
      • All Good and That Stuff :-)
      Reply #105: Oct 31, 2021 09:20:43 am

the limited options in MF is not cool just now, and 2nd half yesterday just showed that up.

Luckily it wont be long till Fab & thiago are back.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,163 posts | 434 
      Reply #106: Oct 31, 2021 09:34:06 am
      Yesterday's result although disappointing, shows how difficult the Premiership is to win. After the euphoria of hammering United away, it is time to sort out our home form, where too many points are being dropped !
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,070 posts | 1575 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #107: Oct 31, 2021 09:35:37 am
      The midfield was weak yesterday,particularly Ox and Jones, but we have a small squad and that is one of the prices.

I've basically been saying that for a while and it's one of the reasons you may not win the league unless you can keep your best 11 fit. You lot! Not doing a bad job so far though. If Klopp allowed to buy in the January sales I'm pretty sure it will be in the midfield due to the aging players.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,789 posts | 4289 
      Reply #108: Oct 31, 2021 10:45:37 am
      Gini’s work rate & reliability is being missed..

But to some he was a greedy b***ard & went for the money to PSG..

Now we are paying the cost for not only retaining Gini but replacing him like for like or better..
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,481 posts | 248 
      Reply #109: Oct 31, 2021 11:37:47 am
      I've basically been saying that for a while and it's one of the reasons you may not win the league unless you can keep your best 11 fit. You lot! Not doing a bad job so far though. If Klopp allowed to buy in the January sales I'm pretty sure it will be in the midfield due to the aging players.

I don’t see this at all.
      Our fourth choice centre back is Gomez.
      Our 4th choice striker is jota.

We lack a little balance in midfield. That’s all. But this could give an opening to a young lad to show what he has got.

I’d say we have a quality 15 or 16 man squad and then about 5 or 6 fillers.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,724 posts | 3608 
      Reply #110: Oct 31, 2021 12:15:55 pm

Now we are paying the cost for not only retaining Gini but replacing him like for like or better..

“Paying the Price” is definitely in context and appropriate to the financial restriction the club contends with.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,604 posts | 1071 
      Reply #111: Oct 31, 2021 01:20:15 pm

Even then this isn't good enough. We will lose games. And thereafter the broken record will replay itself. The drop in quality after this threshold is too much. We should have gone out to replace [the position you want - every year it changes] but we didn't.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,070 posts | 1575 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #112: Oct 31, 2021 01:33:36 pm
      I don’t see this at all.
      Our fourth choice centre back is Gomez.
      Our 4th choice striker is jota.

We lack a little balance in midfield. That’s all. But this could give an opening to a young lad to show what he has got.

Yeah but you don't even see the need for a covid jab Bob so you might not see this  :D

Seriously though, you know I've never rated Gomez anyway, he's had a few poor seasons now and only worthy being a bench player, there's no doubt IMHO your lacking in this department. Anyway, what do I know, I'm just a red in disguise   :D
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,809 posts | 407 
      Reply #113: Oct 31, 2021 03:37:54 pm
      Its not malfunctioning , we just have a lot on midfield injuries at the moment. And we aren't doing badly with this injury crisis.

tielemans in Janurary i say :D
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2021 05:01:48 pm by PastorGeek »
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,679 posts | 1061 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #114: Oct 31, 2021 03:42:22 pm
      I just have to say this. Boy do we miss Fabinho when he doesn't play. He reminds me of Hamann and Mascherano when they were here.

You always need that man who does all the dirty work. Nobody else here can do that job. As good as Henderson is in that role he is not in the same league as Fabinho.
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,481 posts | 248 
      Reply #115: Oct 31, 2021 04:37:33 pm
      Yeah but you don't even see the need for a covid jab Bob so you might not see this  :D

Seriously though, you know I've never rated Gomez anyway, he's had a few poor seasons now and only worthy being a bench player, there's no doubt IMHO your lacking in this department. Anyway, what do I know, I'm just a red in disguise   :D

I don’t need a covid jab. If covid kills me off you can gloat and make a meme about me!
      Thing is what squad doesn’t need strengthening? No supporter is happy unless it’s May and they are lifting trophies...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,070 posts | 1575 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #116: Oct 31, 2021 04:58:21 pm
      I don’t need a covid jab. If covid kills me off you can gloat and make a meme about me!
      Thing is what squad doesn’t need strengthening? No supporter is happy unless it’s May and they are lifting trophies...

Hell no why would I gloat. It was  :f_tongueincheek: but you should know that anyway  ;D

Yeah even if you win the league I've always felt the same
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,481 posts | 248 
      Reply #117: Oct 31, 2021 05:05:01 pm
      Hell no why would I gloat. It was  :f_tongueincheek: but you should know that anyway  ;D

Yeah even if you win the league I've always felt the same

I knew you were joking! Me and you are like brothers. Outlaws.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,070 posts | 1575 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #118: Oct 31, 2021 05:12:42 pm
      I knew you were joking! Me and you are like brothers. Outlaws.

You better hope the key board warrior doesn't reads this. He will go on another sabbatical  :lmao:
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,419 posts | 319 
      Reply #119: Oct 31, 2021 06:45:10 pm
      Our midfielders are a bit too injury prone. Numbers wise we have plenty, so if somebody comes in in January, somebody else should go (Keita or Ox, basically. Possibly even Milner in fact, much though I like him).

An alternative would be that we sign a good backup RB, and then we could use Trent as midfield cover in a moment like now when we have a lot of guys out. To be fair to Neco Williams, he has done pretty well in his recent outings. If Fab and Thiago are still out, I'd be inclined to try out Trent in MF now with Neco at RB, see how both get on. Pretty sure Trent can do a job in MF, maybe a very good one. If Neco can't do a job at RB, then we need to sign a RB anyway in my opinion, more urgently than a midfielder, and it would kill that second bird with the one stone.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,144 posts | 247 
      Reply #120: Oct 31, 2021 08:28:44 pm
      We'll be fine once we get the injured lads back. Fab, Thiago and Elliott is as good a three as you could find. We're stacked in the position, just going through an unlucky period with injuries.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,297 posts | 5120 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #121: Oct 31, 2021 11:14:58 pm

Is he still sitting in the stands or the bench over there?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,677 posts | 1485 
      Reply #122: Oct 31, 2021 11:23:56 pm
      Is he still sitting in the stands or the bench over there?

Yes - currently being paid more than any player in our squad to sit on the bench ( made his bed ) - but of course it wasn’t about the money 🙄
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,412 posts | 5083 
      Reply #123: Oct 31, 2021 11:34:43 pm
      just be grateful we dont have the midfield from down the East Lancs what a pile of sh*te they are.
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 548 posts | 47 
      Reply #124: Oct 31, 2021 11:56:46 pm
      We led 2-0 over Brighton. Our midfield was more than competent to work with such a lead. This was pure arrogance. We just stopped playing hard after Mané almost scored for 3-0. This is on Klopp who either failed to hammer spirit into this team or who demands too much from our players physically, so that they collapse earlier. Pick your poison.

We just need to move on and learn from it and it is on Klopp to make them learn.

Quick Reply