Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54710 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #184: Nov 25, 2021 02:14:19 pm
      So called Fringe midfielders playing well when given a decent run in the team.

Thiago & the ox bring different qualities to the team.

When you actually look at all our midfielders they all have different attributes. Its a really good blend tbh.

Tough choices for klopp when all fit again, which is very soon. :-)

So have we successfully replaced Gini or do we still need to replace Gini or is there even any need to replace Gini?

The fact is our midfield is still strong. It hasn’t malfunctioned and Gini is history and we don’t need to bring him into the picture anymore. We have all moved on. Let’s remember the goals he scored and stop pinning poor performances on replacing this man anymore. We already have enough quality to replace him.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #185: Nov 25, 2021 02:32:52 pm
      So have we successfully replaced Gini or do we still need to replace Gini or is there even any need to replace Gini?

The fact is our midfield is still strong. It hasn’t malfunctioned and Gini is history and we don’t need to bring him into the picture anymore. We have all moved on. Let’s remember the goals he scored and stop pinning poor performances on replacing this man anymore. We already have enough quality to replace him.

We do whenever we drop points. When we win suddenly we don't hear so much about that. Funny how that works.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #186: Nov 25, 2021 02:37:15 pm

l o l

I agree, and I never mentioned Gini. ;-)
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #187: Nov 25, 2021 02:41:04 pm
      l o l

I agree, and I never mentioned Gini. ;-)

Someday, someone will!  :f_steam:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #188: Nov 25, 2021 02:43:21 pm
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #189: Nov 25, 2021 03:23:50 pm

It's interesting how some of the people who drive the complaining are often busy when we win but when we drop points their calendars happened to clear not just for the game but for entire days after.  If that's not coincidence i don't know what is.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #190: Nov 25, 2021 10:30:40 pm
      Last Season it was the curse of the defenders but this Season it is the curse of the midfielders.

The difference this Season is that we are able to absorb the injuries more easily. We are getting by and that is a testament to the system that Klopp has in place. We are sitting pretty in the League and looking excellent in the Champions league.

I would not say the midfield is malfunctioning, i would say we are victims of circumstance that have decimated us injury wise, yet we have coping mechanisms in place that are keeping us moving in the right direction.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #191: Nov 26, 2021 09:05:05 am
      Malfunctioning Midfield? We had maybe, for a short spell, but not anymore, in fact I’d say we were spoilt for choice when everyone is fit, and that isn’t a bad place to be, hard to argue that a trio of Hendo, Fabinho & Thiago would be most ppl’s favoured midfield, it’s certain one of mine, and it does of course depend on who the opponents are,

Up against the bus parking fraternity we would need more creative players to break through their defences, pace and tempo are key here, we’ve seen beforehand how 10 behind the ball slows everything down, and we certainly don’t function well when this happens, against a side say like Brentford who for me are the only side to match us like for like this season and they deservedly got their rewards, but had we had Harvey available that day and we played with Trent doubling up with him with Hendo covering and linking up with Mo the chaos created would  have been telling, and of course had we been more clinical in the final third,

Against City / Chavs we would want to be more solid, so I doubt Harvey would be a starter and we’d probably go with our  ‘go to’ trio, there are plenty of options with varying triplets but more often than not it would be Fabinho as the shoe in and any other two,  for me though it was never a case where we needed to replace that Dutch bloke, what’s his name, yanno’s, the one with the smiling eyes & beaming chompers, gave us all a semi in that semi when he burst Messi’s CL bubble,

We have players here who were/are ready to fill the void, do we miss him, of course, but we miss Stevie more, and we don’t mention that fella too much anymore do we?

Malfunctioning Midfield, nah not for me, and in any case looks like we’re putting that to bed now too, and I Dunno about  you guy’s but I think we’re just about to fly .

Y  N  W  A

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #192: Nov 26, 2021 11:33:52 am
      None of our current midfielders are going to get into a greatest Liverpool XI of the 21st Century (let alone of all time) because individually they're not of the standard of Stevie, Xabi, Didi, Masch and some would even argue Lucas but collectively for what Jürgen wants from his three in the middle, they work and work extremely well in that regard.

Henderson, I've always stated that I like and think there's a player in there but I think he's become more important to us as a leader on the pitch than his actual ability to play football. He still doesn't take responsibility as much as I'd like with the ball but you can certainly see the difference when he's not on the pitch.

Fabinho, I don't rate anywhere near as highly as anyone else. For me, he's a poor man's Lucas and I didn't think Lucas was great either. When he does something good, it's raved about but the amount of times he's left by the opposition is alarming for me. Numerous times during a game, the opposition will have a free run at the centre halves because Fabinho has been skipped past on the halfway line. This season, he didn't play against Burnley, Norwich (League Cup), Watford, United, Preston (League Cup, Brighton and we kept clean sheets in all but one of those games - the two all draw with Brighton. With him starting this year, we've only kept four clean sheets. But he can pick a pass and does have a good shot on him when he decides to let fly. And occasionally he does have a good defensive performance as well as allowing other midfielders to play in further advanced positions which gets better performances out of them.

Thiago is a difficult one because for years our midfield was lambasted for not being creative enough, not offering anything that meaningful in an attacking sense so we went out and got Thiago, who was going to fill that void. And thus far hasn't set the world on fire. He certainly has ability and some of the passes he plays are outstanding. But it's not been the perfect fit that many expected - injuries obviously play a part as does settling into a new country. And the pace of the game seems to catch him out at times. But we've seen the ability is there and it's very evident that his performances have improved once he was shifted slightly further forward and not asked to be the deepest of the three midfielders.

Keita is quite possibly one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen play for our club. He's either F***ing exceptional and well on his way to cementing himself as a first choice regular or absolutely abysmal and well on his way out of the club. Now since his debut against West Ham, where he was man of the match for me, I've always said I liked him. There's deffo a player in there. But then the following week he'll be disastrous. And whatever they're doing this year with Joel Matip, do with Naby because he needs to be kept fit. Unfortunately though, keeping Naby fit for a run of 10-15 games, seems as likely as Everton winning a trophy. A fit and on-form Naby Keita is a cert for our midfield three in my opinion.

Milner is a good head to have around the place. His experience will help the others around him, even though most of them aren't that young themselves any more. He'll be invaluable to the likes of Morton coming through. I do get pissed off with him when he gives needless fouls away in dangerous areas because he can't run any more but as I've said, for his experience alone he warrants a place in the squad. And his versatility will always come in handy.

Jones I think believes his own hype. He burst onto the scene with the goal against Everton, played well towards the end of that season as well. Got a few more games than what he probably should of last year due to our midfielders filling in as defenders and this year hasn't really got going yet. But because of the good start he had to his Liverpool career and everyone bigging him up to be the next big thing from our Academy, I think it went to his head and he tried to show off too much rather than doing what our midfield is famed for and that's keeping things simple. I think he'll probably end up as a squad player for us at best.

Elliott, I don't see as a central midfielder long-term. Or at least not in the traditional sense. He impressed when he played there though, linking up well with Trent and Mo down the right hand side. But I fully expect his future to be one of the front three rather than the central three.

Tyler Morton has been incredible in his few brief outtings. Far too early to say whether he'll make the grade here and he's probably benefitting from injuries in the way Nat Phillips did at centre half last season. But if he can continue to develop, then he's got a chance at making it here if his first few games are anything to go by. Just needs to remain grounded.

So the midfield isn't filled with great individuals, in my opinion, but collectively they do the job Jürgen wants them to do. And ultimately, that's getting us results, trophies and a ton of excitement watching us play. So as long as it is working it can't be malfunctioning. And every season there seems to be a slight tweak in how we play and I think this year has been aimed at the midfield taking more shots from distance. We seem a lot more prepared to take a dig from outside the box this season than in previous years.

Though if I never see Chamberlain play for Liverpool again, I wouldn't be sorry. He's one player I've never rated and was genuinely pissed off when we bought from Arsenal.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #193: Nov 26, 2021 12:55:06 pm
      None of our current midfielders are going to get into a greatest Liverpool XI of the 21st Century (let alone of all time) because individually they're not of the standard of Stevie, Xabi, Didi, Masch and some would even argue Lucas but collectively for what Jürgen wants from his three in the middle, they work and work extremely well in that regard.

Henderson, I've always stated that I like and think there's a player in there but I think he's become more important to us as a leader on the pitch than his actual ability to play football. He still doesn't take responsibility as much as I'd like with the ball but you can certainly see the difference when he's not on the pitch.

Fabinho, I don't rate anywhere near as highly as anyone else. For me, he's a poor man's Lucas and I didn't think Lucas was great either. When he does something good, it's raved about but the amount of times he's left by the opposition is alarming for me. Numerous times during a game, the opposition will have a free run at the centre halves because Fabinho has been skipped past on the halfway line. This season, he didn't play against Burnley, Norwich (League Cup), Watford, United, Preston (League Cup, Brighton and we kept clean sheets in all but one of those games - the two all draw with Brighton. With him starting this year, we've only kept four clean sheets. But he can pick a pass and does have a good shot on him when he decides to let fly. And occasionally he does have a good defensive performance as well as allowing other midfielders to play in further advanced positions which gets better performances out of them.

Thiago is a difficult one because for years our midfield was lambasted for not being creative enough, not offering anything that meaningful in an attacking sense so we went out and got Thiago, who was going to fill that void. And thus far hasn't set the world on fire. He certainly has ability and some of the passes he plays are outstanding. But it's not been the perfect fit that many expected - injuries obviously play a part as does settling into a new country. And the pace of the game seems to catch him out at times. But we've seen the ability is there and it's very evident that his performances have improved once he was shifted slightly further forward and not asked to be the deepest of the three midfielders.

Keita is quite possibly one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen play for our club. He's either F***ing exceptional and well on his way to cementing himself as a first choice regular or absolutely abysmal and well on his way out of the club. Now since his debut against West Ham, where he was man of the match for me, I've always said I liked him. There's deffo a player in there. But then the following week he'll be disastrous. And whatever they're doing this year with Joel Matip, do with Naby because he needs to be kept fit. Unfortunately though, keeping Naby fit for a run of 10-15 games, seems as likely as Everton winning a trophy. A fit and on-form Naby Keita is a cert for our midfield three in my opinion.

Milner is a good head to have around the place. His experience will help the others around him, even though most of them aren't that young themselves any more. He'll be invaluable to the likes of Morton coming through. I do get pissed off with him when he gives needless fouls away in dangerous areas because he can't run any more but as I've said, for his experience alone he warrants a place in the squad. And his versatility will always come in handy.

Jones I think believes his own hype. He burst onto the scene with the goal against Everton, played well towards the end of that season as well. Got a few more games than what he probably should of last year due to our midfielders filling in as defenders and this year hasn't really got going yet. But because of the good start he had to his Liverpool career and everyone bigging him up to be the next big thing from our Academy, I think it went to his head and he tried to show off too much rather than doing what our midfield is famed for and that's keeping things simple. I think he'll probably end up as a squad player for us at best.

Elliott, I don't see as a central midfielder long-term. Or at least not in the traditional sense. He impressed when he played there though, linking up well with Trent and Mo down the right hand side. But I fully expect his future to be one of the front three rather than the central three.

Tyler Morton has been incredible in his few brief outtings. Far too early to say whether he'll make the grade here and he's probably benefitting from injuries in the way Nat Phillips did at centre half last season. But if he can continue to develop, then he's got a chance at making it here if his first few games are anything to go by. Just needs to remain grounded.

So the midfield isn't filled with great individuals, in my opinion, but collectively they do the job Jürgen wants them to do. And ultimately, that's getting us results, trophies and a ton of excitement watching us play. So as long as it is working it can't be malfunctioning. And every season there seems to be a slight tweak in how we play and I think this year has been aimed at the midfield taking more shots from distance. We seem a lot more prepared to take a dig from outside the box this season than in previous years.

Though if I never see Chamberlain play for Liverpool again, I wouldn't be sorry. He's one player I've never rated and was genuinely pissed off when we bought from Arsenal.

Thiago would stroll in, classy player that is better than Didi or Lucas.

Thiago's that good a player he'd walk in to some of our older teams from the 70s and 80s.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #194: Nov 26, 2021 08:12:35 pm
      Last Season it was the curse of the defenders but this Season it is the curse of the midfielders.

The difference this Season is that we are able to absorb the injuries more easily. We are getting by and that is a testament to the system that Klopp has in place. We are sitting pretty in the League and looking excellent in the Champions league.

There are 2 big differences:

1. You generally carry more midfielders than center backs in a squad, and we have 8 midfielders as opposed to 5 center backs + Fabinho

2. This year only 1 injury has been season-ending (Elliott) while last year we had 3 (Virg, Matip, Joe)
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #195: Nov 26, 2021 10:44:43 pm
      There are 2 big differences:

1. You generally carry more midfielders than center backs in a squad, and we have 8 midfielders as opposed to 5 center backs + Fabinho

Pro rata  😉

2. This year only 1 injury has been season-ending (Elliott) while last year we had 3 (Virg, Matip, Joe)

Elliot won’t be out for the season
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #196: Nov 27, 2021 03:51:02 pm

Keita is quite possibly one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen play for our club. He's either f**king exceptional and well on his way to cementing himself as a first choice regular or absolutely abysmal and well on his way out of the club. Now since his debut against West Ham, where he was man of the match for me, I've always said I liked him. There's deffo a player in there. But then the following week he'll be disastrous. And whatever they're doing this year with Joel Matip, do with Naby because he needs to be kept fit. Unfortunately though, keeping Naby fit for a run of 10-15 games, seems as likely as Everton winning a trophy. A fit and on-form Naby Keita is a cert for our midfield three in my opinion.

Good post there DLS. Though i AM NOT, i repeat AM NOT going to comment on the Lucas comment!  ;)

I read through the debates on the Lucas Leiva thread the other night, it is still my go to when i'm after a giggle!  ;D ;D ;D
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #197: Nov 27, 2021 11:28:45 pm
      This thread was started in 2017, I’m really not sure why it’s been getting bumps. Our midfield has a bit of everything, I’m really happy with our midfield this season. We’ve had a few injuries but it’s been next man up and we’ve seen good contributions from every single one of them.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #198: Nov 28, 2021 08:48:59 am
      I maintain that althoughThiago was very good against Porto and scored against Southamptom, I believe he is too careless at times. Against Southamptom he lost possession uselessly at put the defense in danger.

Our weakness is midfield, not the individual players who are all very good. But the equilibrium is not there yet. We're still finding the best trio.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #199: Nov 28, 2021 09:29:07 am
      I maintain that althoughThiago was very good against Porto and scored against Southamptom, I believe he is too careless at times. Against Southamptom he lost possession uselessly at put the defense in danger.

Our weakness is midfield, not the individual players who are all very good. But the equilibrium is not there yet. We're still finding the best trio.

Perfect example of conformation bias here

You have something in your mind and are looking for anything to support it

Sorry if you can’t see how good a player Thiago is I’d question your football knowledge
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #200: Nov 28, 2021 09:55:46 am
      Carelessly put in two goals in two back to back games. Hopelessly secured the points for us. Ali is hopeless too. Hasn’t scored that many.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1464642402585653249
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #201: Nov 28, 2021 10:09:38 am

Agree agree. Please name us a player who wouldn’t lose possession at all. Has never lost possession and never will. We should scout for such a player.

I’ve never been wrong in all me posts. Never had and will never be.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #202: Nov 28, 2021 12:34:34 pm
      Perfect example of conformation bias here

You have something in your mind and are looking for anything to support it

Sorry if you can’t see how good a player Thiago is I’d question your football knowledge

Think what you want. He was quite good yesterday but it's clear that he lost the ball carelessly yesterday. If it was not for Alisson, we would have lost this clean sheet.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #203: Nov 28, 2021 01:18:19 pm
      Think what you want. He was quite good yesterday but it's clear that he lost the ball carelessly yesterday. If it was not for Alisson, we would have lost this clean sheet.

And if it wasn’t for their keeper we would have scored eight after a member of Saints midfield gave away possession.
      Get in the real world. It happens to everyone and every team !
      It’s how you or your team mates deal with it is the issue, and Tiago and his team mates dealt with it pretty bloody well I’d say.
      In addition to that, played exceptionally well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #204: Nov 28, 2021 01:53:26 pm

I think you're talking utter sh*te.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #205: Nov 28, 2021 01:57:05 pm

Could say the same about Konate, a couple of mistakes yesterday could of cost us except for Alisson bailing him out of sh*t.

The midfield's fine, crying about anything from yesterday's game makes you sound a tit in all honest. We cut them apart and they caused us very little problems, the ones you suggest were easily covered by teamates proving we're moving in the right direction.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #206: Nov 30, 2021 08:15:56 am
      sh*te comments have their point after all… players shouldn’t lose possession or allow a shot at our goal. We shouldn’t be conceding anything at all, in a perfect world.

Klopp's Reaction: 'How boring would it be with nothing to improve?' | Liverpool vs Southampton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awv4lTpgu7c

Quick Reply