Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54722 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #92: Oct 04, 2017 05:41:33 pm
      Very good article.

Glad it addresses the 'Henderson only passes sideways' myth I've been barking about for months.

Also interesting to see Phil end up in the same positions despite where he's told to play.

The shooting wastefulness added to a defence the lets in every half chance is a recipe for disaster. Those two things are the biggest issue we have.

The other thing about Phil's average position is, how did that affect Sadio (or Mo, depending on the half)? Saying that however, I've seen Phil track back and help win possession plenty, so I'm not sure about that average position thingie anyway. None of this is why particular chances were spurned on the day.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #93: Oct 04, 2017 05:58:21 pm
      The other thing about Phil's average position is, how did that affect Sadio (or Mo, depending on the half)? Saying that however, I've seen Phil track back and help win possession plenty, so I'm not sure about that average position thingie anyway. None of this is why particular chances were spurned on the day.

It's definitely something I'll be keeping an eye on in the next game should he play CM again
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #94: Oct 20, 2021 08:55:00 am
      Quite a few games this season where our midfield has been found wanting AC and Atleti in CL plus Brentford and City in the league.

Are our CBā€™s over exposed especially with VVD clearly still not back to his best yet itā€™s not a ideal situation.

Without Jones and Elliot we have a issue with recovery pace which if a opposition breaks our press leaves us badly exposed.
      No doubt a fully fit Thiago helps in controlling the midfield and his vertical passing helps in opening up the opposition but defensively on the turn he lacks the legs just like Hendo, Fab, Keita and Jimmy.

Ox from 3 years ago could have been that player with his running power.

Do we need more pace and power in the Jan window or wait for Jones and Elliot?

Edit : this is clearly a issue against top teams Brentford aside our midfield is more than good enough for the majority of games.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #95: Oct 20, 2021 01:36:43 pm
      Holy thread resurrection Batman!!!
      :D

Jones and Elliott were going to play a big part but I don't think Elliott's an option now for a long time. Honestly don't think JĆ¼rgen will spend on a midfielder unless it's someone they've been tracking for awhile and an opportunity arises. He'll look at Thiago getting fit as solving a lot of his problems and with Jones to rotate in, he'll think we are good enough is my opinion.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #96: Oct 20, 2021 02:18:47 pm
      Canā€™t see anyone coming in this winter window, until Thiago/Harvey comes back I think JĆ¼rgen will rely on Naby, Millie, Curtis, Ox, Taki, to play alongside Hendo & Fabinho, so I think weā€™re covered as far as bodies are concerned, I donā€™t think itā€™s a crisis weā€™re looking at here maybe a bit more shoaring up, last night we seen how much of a fish up a tree Naby was defensively so perhaps against that kind of opposition playing Naby in that role wasnā€™t the best decision, I donā€™t think it would have happened had Fabinho been on the pitch, and yes maybe having Hendo Fab & Milner as a trio might hamper us for creativity but it would have made us more solid,

Canā€™t blame JĆ¼rgen for going for the win, after all we were 2 up and cruising at that point, it was only when their mids  got the better of ours that the sh*t hit the fan, so no real need for us to delve into the transfer market just yet, however a Raphinha, Boussuma, Teilemans type coming in the summer would  of course be most welcome .

Y  N  W  A
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #97: Oct 20, 2021 02:36:11 pm
      unbeaten in 21 games in all comps.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #98: Oct 20, 2021 03:11:54 pm

Deja Vu 19/20
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #99: Oct 30, 2021 10:29:29 pm
      Same issues shown up against a decent team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #100: Oct 30, 2021 11:13:44 pm

Yet Iā€™m sure weā€™d all happily swap places with the Chavs who are ahead of us despite losing a game.
      Unfortunately when you draw 40% of your first 10 games, a defeat doesnā€™t make a huge amount of difference because City have lost twice but are only 2 points behind us so I donā€™t look too much into unbeaten runs.

Arsenal went a whole season unbeaten but still failed to achieve a points total as high as what us and City have done despite losing games.

With having more options in defence than the midfield at the moment and the midfield looking vulnerable on days like today, we shouldā€™ve gone gone for Matip in place of Jones for 3 CBs and wing backs when it was 2-1. Trent and Robbo wouldā€™ve been an extra number to help out in the midfield without the defence being left too exposed. I know Klopp doesnā€™t like that formation but thereā€™s a reason why weā€™ve conceded so many whilst Chelsea have conceded so few and thatā€™s it.
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2021 11:19:30 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #101: Oct 31, 2021 04:48:59 am
      Yet Iā€™m sure weā€™d all happily swap places with the Chavs who are ahead of us despite losing a game.
      Unfortunately when you draw 40% of your first 10 games, a defeat doesnā€™t make a huge amount of difference because City have lost twice but are only 2 points behind us so I donā€™t look too much into unbeaten runs.

Arsenal went a whole season unbeaten but still failed to achieve a points total as high as what us and City have done despite losing games.

With having more options in defence than the midfield at the moment and the midfield looking vulnerable on days like today, we shouldā€™ve gone gone for Matip in place of Jones for 3 CBs and wing backs when it was 2-1. Trent and Robbo wouldā€™ve been an extra number to help out in the midfield without the defence being left too exposed. I know Klopp doesnā€™t like that formation but thereā€™s a reason why weā€™ve conceded so many whilst Chelsea have conceded so few and thatā€™s it.

Everything about this post is dead nuts. This is the formation of live to see us adapt to atm. We have the perfect FBs for this system, and a MF that needs all the help they can get
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #102: Oct 31, 2021 05:27:59 am

its a 3 points difference dude. We are 10 games in. With a lot of midfield injuries. Chill 4 sec. ;D
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #103: Oct 31, 2021 09:06:37 am
      The midfield was weak yesterday,particularly Ox and Jones, but we have a small squad and that is one of the prices.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #104: Oct 31, 2021 09:11:10 am
      I would like another midfielder in January just because in the main we do have a midfield that picks up injuries Hendo, Fab, Thiago, Keita, Milner do pick up a lot of injuries and Gini never did. How is Gini doing at PSG? last I heard not great, Jan loan move 😬🤔.. Not likely tbh, I wonder if Klopp would look at the loan market?
      Who was the DM who played at Preston could he feature at some point?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #105: Oct 31, 2021 09:20:43 am

the limited options in MF is not cool just now, and 2nd half yesterday just showed that up.

Luckily it wont be long till Fab & thiago are back.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #106: Oct 31, 2021 09:34:06 am
      Yesterday's result although disappointing, shows how difficult the Premiership is to win. After the euphoria of hammering United away, it is time to sort out our home form, where too many points are being dropped !
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #107: Oct 31, 2021 09:35:37 am
      The midfield was weak yesterday,particularly Ox and Jones, but we have a small squad and that is one of the prices.

I've basically been saying that for a while and it's one of the reasons you may not win the league unless you can keep your best 11 fit. You lot! Not doing a bad job so far though. If Klopp allowed to buy in the January sales I'm pretty sure it will be in the midfield due to the aging players.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #108: Oct 31, 2021 10:45:37 am
      Giniā€™s work rate & reliability is being missed..

But to some he was a greedy b***ard & went for the money to PSG..

Now we are paying the cost for not only retaining Gini but replacing him like for like or better..
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #109: Oct 31, 2021 11:37:47 am
      I've basically been saying that for a while and it's one of the reasons you may not win the league unless you can keep your best 11 fit. You lot! Not doing a bad job so far though. If Klopp allowed to buy in the January sales I'm pretty sure it will be in the midfield due to the aging players.

I donā€™t see this at all.
      Our fourth choice centre back is Gomez.
      Our 4th choice striker is jota.

We lack a little balance in midfield. Thatā€™s all. But this could give an opening to a young lad to show what he has got.

Iā€™d say we have a quality 15 or 16 man squad and then about 5 or 6 fillers.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #110: Oct 31, 2021 12:15:55 pm
      Giniā€™s work rate & reliability is being missed..

But to some he was a greedy b***ard & went for the money to PSG..

Now we are paying the cost for not only retaining Gini but replacing him like for like or better..

ā€œPaying the Priceā€ is definitely in context and appropriate to the financial restriction the club contends with.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #111: Oct 31, 2021 01:20:15 pm

Even then this isn't good enough. We will lose games. And thereafter the broken record will replay itself. The drop in quality after this threshold is too much. We should have gone out to replace [the position you want - every year it changes] but we didn't.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #112: Oct 31, 2021 01:33:36 pm
      I donā€™t see this at all.
      Our fourth choice centre back is Gomez.
      Our 4th choice striker is jota.

We lack a little balance in midfield. Thatā€™s all. But this could give an opening to a young lad to show what he has got.

Yeah but you don't even see the need for a covid jab Bob so you might not see this  :D

Seriously though, you know I've never rated Gomez anyway, he's had a few poor seasons now and only worthy being a bench player, there's no doubt IMHO your lacking in this department. Anyway, what do I know, I'm just a red in disguise   :D
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #113: Oct 31, 2021 03:37:54 pm
      Its not malfunctioning , we just have a lot on midfield injuries at the moment. And we aren't doing badly with this injury crisis.

tielemans in Janurary i say :D
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2021 05:01:48 pm by PastorGeek »
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #114: Oct 31, 2021 03:42:22 pm
      I just have to say this. Boy do we miss Fabinho when he doesn't play. He reminds me of Hamann and Mascherano when they were here.

You always need that man who does all the dirty work. Nobody else here can do that job. As good as Henderson is in that role he is not in the same league as Fabinho.

Quick Reply