Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54693 times
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #115: Oct 31, 2021 04:37:33 pm
      Yeah but you don't even see the need for a covid jab Bob so you might not see this  :D

Seriously though, you know I've never rated Gomez anyway, he's had a few poor seasons now and only worthy being a bench player, there's no doubt IMHO your lacking in this department. Anyway, what do I know, I'm just a red in disguise   :D

I don’t need a covid jab. If covid kills me off you can gloat and make a meme about me!
      Thing is what squad doesn’t need strengthening? No supporter is happy unless it’s May and they are lifting trophies...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #116: Oct 31, 2021 04:58:21 pm
      I don’t need a covid jab. If covid kills me off you can gloat and make a meme about me!
      Thing is what squad doesn’t need strengthening? No supporter is happy unless it’s May and they are lifting trophies...

Hell no why would I gloat. It was  :f_tongueincheek: but you should know that anyway  ;D

Yeah even if you win the league I've always felt the same
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #117: Oct 31, 2021 05:05:01 pm
      Hell no why would I gloat. It was  :f_tongueincheek: but you should know that anyway  ;D

Yeah even if you win the league I've always felt the same

I knew you were joking! Me and you are like brothers. Outlaws.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #118: Oct 31, 2021 05:12:42 pm
      I knew you were joking! Me and you are like brothers. Outlaws.

You better hope the key board warrior doesn't reads this. He will go on another sabbatical  :lmao:
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #119: Oct 31, 2021 06:45:10 pm
      Our midfielders are a bit too injury prone. Numbers wise we have plenty, so if somebody comes in in January, somebody else should go (Keita or Ox, basically. Possibly even Milner in fact, much though I like him).

An alternative would be that we sign a good backup RB, and then we could use Trent as midfield cover in a moment like now when we have a lot of guys out. To be fair to Neco Williams, he has done pretty well in his recent outings. If Fab and Thiago are still out, I'd be inclined to try out Trent in MF now with Neco at RB, see how both get on. Pretty sure Trent can do a job in MF, maybe a very good one. If Neco can't do a job at RB, then we need to sign a RB anyway in my opinion, more urgently than a midfielder, and it would kill that second bird with the one stone.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #120: Oct 31, 2021 08:28:44 pm
      We'll be fine once we get the injured lads back. Fab, Thiago and Elliott is as good a three as you could find. We're stacked in the position, just going through an unlucky period with injuries.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #121: Oct 31, 2021 11:14:58 pm
      Gini’s work rate & reliability is being missed..

But to some he was a greedy b***ard & went for the money to PSG..

Now we are paying the cost for not only retaining Gini but replacing him like for like or better..

Is he still sitting in the stands or the bench over there?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #122: Oct 31, 2021 11:23:56 pm
      Is he still sitting in the stands or the bench over there?

Yes - currently being paid more than any player in our squad to sit on the bench ( made his bed ) - but of course it wasn’t about the money 🙄
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #123: Oct 31, 2021 11:34:43 pm
      just be grateful we dont have the midfield from down the East Lancs what a pile of sh*te they are.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #124: Oct 31, 2021 11:56:46 pm
      We led 2-0 over Brighton. Our midfield was more than competent to work with such a lead. This was pure arrogance. We just stopped playing hard after Mané almost scored for 3-0. This is on Klopp who either failed to hammer spirit into this team or who demands too much from our players physically, so that they collapse earlier. Pick your poison.

We just need to move on and learn from it and it is on Klopp to make them learn.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #125: Nov 01, 2021 09:56:45 am
      I dont think our squad can carry Ox Naby Elliott and Jones.

In an ideal world I think Hendo and Fab are first choice and 1 of those more attacking players slots in with them. If Hendo or Fab miss out then Jürgen looks to Thiago or Milner to play as one of the 2 work horses/controllers. 

I think since Gini left we lost a very solid option that Jürgen trusted and never replaced that.

If money is a barrier and there's every chance it is, then one of Naby, Ox or Jones can be moved on for me because we seem to have 4 luxury midfielders and 4 controlling influences at the moment and for a Jürgen team the balance looks wrong seeing as he likes to play 2 and sometimes 3 solid midfielders at any one time depending on the size of the game and standard of opposition.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #126: Nov 01, 2021 10:18:23 am
      Agree ox is probably gone in the summer.

If there is a deal to be in January window for a decent midfielder im sure the club will act.

It all looks worse than it is though, due to freak injury to young elliott and all these small injuries coming at the same time.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #127: Nov 01, 2021 10:36:51 am
      I think since Gini left we lost a very solid option that Jürgen trusted and never replaced that.

Maybe it’s a pity that wasn’t followed through.

I’m wondering at that point in time, who could be the player we should have made a move for? I’d then say it’s the scouting team’s job to go find that player.

How do we know if they didn’t attempt to find that player? We don’t know, unless someone from the scouting team could come out to explain and clarify.

We don’t know enough. We only know that there wasn’t a like for like direct replacement. Maybe they did attempt to find cover but the suitable player wasn’t available or was priced out of the market or such a player didn’t show enough capability to be worth the spending.

There’s a lot of us saying that the owners are not trying hard enough etc. etc. But we really don’t not know enough… it’s so easy to take a big spending club to compare ourselves with, and say we are not keeping up.

And yes we have never matched up with them at all. Yet we got the champions wall updated as well. We’ve done it the cheaper way. Perhaps not ideal. But to me it’s smart. We don’t just go out there to buy the trophies.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #128: Nov 01, 2021 11:19:36 am
      Maybe it’s a pity that wasn’t followed through.

I’m wondering at that point in time, who could be the player we should have made a move for? I’d then say it’s the scouting team’s job to go find that player.

How do we know if they didn’t attempt to find that player? We don’t know, unless someone from the scouting team could come out to explain and clarify.

We don’t know enough. We only know that there wasn’t a like for like direct replacement. Maybe they did attempt to find cover but the suitable player wasn’t available or was priced out of the market or such a player didn’t show enough capability to be worth the spending.

There’s a lot of us saying that the owners are not trying hard enough etc. etc. But we really don’t not know enough… it’s so easy to take a big spending club to compare ourselves with, and say we are not keeping up.

And yes we have never matched up with them at all. Yet we got the champions wall updated as well. We’ve done it the cheaper way. Perhaps not ideal. But to me it’s smart. We don’t just go out there to buy the trophies.

There’s a balance though between buying trophies and investing to remain competitive.

I don’t think replacing Gino could be construed as an attempt to ‘buy trophies’.

Said in the summer, going into the season with Ox, Keita, Thiago, Henderson in the midfield, plus an ageing Milner would be a tough ask due to their injury records. That’s not even including Fab who has also had his fair share on injuries.

Saying that, I still believe it will take a very good team to beat us to the two big trophies this year but right now the midfield is a weak point and it needs rectifying IMO.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #129: Nov 01, 2021 12:13:05 pm
      We need Fabinho so fit and so soon! He makes everything click.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #130: Nov 01, 2021 12:20:55 pm
      We need Fabinho so fit and so soon! He makes everything click.

Fabinho is the key. Problem is he picks up injuries quite often as well.

Numbers wise we are still ok and again a bit like last season have been struck with multiple injuries in one area at the same time.

Chamberlain for me has probably run his course here and any hope I had he could rekindle some form for us has gone.

Once we get Fab and Thiago back we'll be in a lot stronger position though.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #131: Nov 01, 2021 12:29:51 pm
      Klopp dints sound to optimistic about Fab being back for next couple of games, maybe after international break for him.

Thiago back in training though. Hopefully ready for the weekend.

I wonder if klopp would consider playing kostas & Robbo in same team Wednesday, push Robbo up into MF, or play a 3 at the back, kind of how scotland deal with KT & Robbo. ?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #132: Nov 01, 2021 12:40:13 pm
      Madness we didn’t adress this in the summer. Not only are we reliant on injury prone players in Keita, Ox, Fab, Thiago and Henderson to a degree we never replaced the number void left by Gini.

Seems we learnt nothing from our defensive injury crisis last season.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #133: Nov 01, 2021 12:42:43 pm
      Yeah seems like what happened last year is coming back to haunt us, and I won’t hear any of this ‘how were we suppose to know we’d lose so many players’ sh*te people say, it was predictable last season when it happened, so this season it was a given it was going to happen with the injury prone players there, we just all got caught up in the hope Keita would stay fit.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #134: Nov 01, 2021 12:45:00 pm
      Klopp dints sound to optimistic about Fab being back for next couple of games, maybe after international break for him.

Thiago back in training though. Hopefully ready for the weekend.

I wonder if klopp would consider playing kostas & Robbo in same team Wednesday, push Robbo up into MF, or play a 3 at the back, kind of how scotland deal with KT & Robbo. ?

I would rather push Trent into midfield over Robbo and play Gomez or Neco at RB.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #135: Nov 01, 2021 01:01:14 pm
      Madness we didn’t adress this in the summer. Not only are we reliant on injury prone players in Keita, Ox, Fab, Thiago and Henderson to a degree we never replaced the number void left by Gini.

Elliott was clearly filling the void left by Gini
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #136: Nov 01, 2021 01:34:49 pm
      Elliott was clearly filling the void left by Gini
      As good as he is, the lad is a kid and you couldn’t expect him to show that form all year through, and everyone else is injury prone… it was obvious we needed midfield cover and I think we all got a little ahead of ourselves with the form Elliott was showing and the hope we had Keita had turned a corner… reality has slapped us in the face again and brought us back down to Earth and reminded us of what we all knew in the summer, we needed a midfielder.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #137: Nov 01, 2021 01:42:15 pm

Is it madness though?

We have 8 options for CM positions going into the season and to sign another would mean one moving on which didn't seem an option.

In a 25 man squad there's only a limited amount of spaces for each position.

Quick Reply