Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54758 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #138: Nov 01, 2021 01:43:17 pm
      Hopefully we sign Jude Bellingham in the Summer and that will sort our midfield next season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #139: Nov 01, 2021 01:48:03 pm
      Elliott was clearly filling the void left by Gini

Speaking of Harvey he looked to be moving pretty good after the game Saturday so looks like his rehab is going well.

Fingers crossed he will he back playing by the spring.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #140: Nov 01, 2021 01:52:16 pm
      I would rather push Trent into midfield over Robbo and play Gomez or Neco at RB.

Could do that as well aye.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #141: Nov 01, 2021 01:54:07 pm
      As good as he is, the lad is a kid and you couldnā€™t expect him to show that form all year through, and everyone else is injury proneā€¦ it was obvious we needed midfield cover and I think we all got a little ahead of ourselves with the form Elliott was showing and the hope we had Keita had turned a cornerā€¦ reality has slapped us in the face again and brought us back down to Earth and reminded us of what we all knew in the summer, we needed a midfielder.

We still have 8 in the squad plus any other youngsters from the Academy

Thiago will be back this week

I donā€™t think itā€™s panic stations yet and finger pointing at what we should have done in the summer. Elliott wasnā€™t going to play every game but he was certainly filling the spot

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #142: Nov 01, 2021 02:54:58 pm
      I dont think our squad can carry Ox Naby Elliott and Jones.

In an ideal world I think Hendo and Fab are first choice and 1 of those more attacking players slots in with them. If Hendo or Fab miss out then JĆ¼rgen looks to Thiago or Milner to play as one of the 2 work horses/controllers. 

I think since Gini left we lost a very solid option that JĆ¼rgen trusted and never replaced that.

If money is a barrier and there's every chance it is, then one of Naby, Ox or Jones can be moved on for me because we seem to have 4 luxury midfielders and 4 controlling influences at the moment and for a JĆ¼rgen team the balance looks wrong seeing as he likes to play 2 and sometimes 3 solid midfielders at any one time depending on the size of the game and standard of opposition.

"Carrying Elliott"

GTFO with that bullshit.
      Ox for me is the one where he doesn't be able to perform as required.
      The right signing, one signing, is all that's needed.
      I'm sure it's being looked at.

I'd love to see the answer be Keita but he seems cursed with injuries.
      Having a player that was always available, like Gini, is priceless.
      But then not all clubs have the resources of PSG to throw around at wages.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #143: Nov 01, 2021 03:01:37 pm
      "Carrying Elliott"

GTFO with that bullshit.
      Ox for me is the one where he doesn't be able to perform as required.
      The right signing, one signing, is all that's needed.
      I'm sure it's being looked at.

I'd love to see the answer be Keita but he seems cursed with injuries.
      Having a player that was always available, like Gini, is priceless.
      But then not all clubs have the resources of PSG to throw around at wages.

I keep willing Ox to show the play he did before that injury but itā€™s just not there consistently enough - he played a great ball in for the Mane go but he just seems to be trying things that make he stand out and itā€™s not working for him.

I have no doubt that if a bid for Ox comes in then he is gone and I think he will be in the summer with someone coming in

If itā€™s Hendo , Ox and Jones on Wednesday then they need to be disciplined and just do the ugly needed stuff
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #144: Nov 01, 2021 03:02:48 pm
      Just drop Konate in midfield ā€¦ smash them all he willā€¦ 😂
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #145: Nov 01, 2021 03:07:44 pm

I keep willing Ox to show the play he did before that injury but itā€™s just not there consistently enough - he played a great ball in for the Mane go but he just seems to be trying things that make he stand out and itā€™s not working for him.

I have no doubt that if a bid for Ox comes in then he is gone and I think he will be in the summer with someone coming in

If itā€™s Hendo , Ox and Jones on Wednesday then they need to be disciplined and just do the ugly needed stuff

The only player I think is a "luxury" at the moment is Jones.
      Thrown in at the deep end really because we're out of options and that's where discipline needs working on.
      This could all resolve itself next week with Fabinho and Thiago back but it does seem on a knife edge,
      again down to policy on signings but I think also unlucky with the Elliott injury.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #146: Nov 01, 2021 07:09:04 pm
      The only player I think is a "luxury" at the moment is Jones.
      Thrown in at the deep end really because we're out of options and that's where discipline needs working on.
      This could all resolve itself next week with Fabinho and Thiago back but it does seem on a knife edge,
      again down to policy on signings but I think also unlucky with the Elliott injury.

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/1455249222811389955?s=21

😁😁😁😁😁😁
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #147: Nov 01, 2021 07:18:38 pm

Great to see need them both getting minutes especially Thiago  Wednesday before West Ham game
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #148: Nov 01, 2021 10:20:51 pm
      Fabinho is the key. Problem is he picks up injuries quite often as well.

Numbers wise we are still ok and again a bit like last season have been struck with multiple injuries in one area at the same time.

Chamberlain for me has probably run his course here and any hope I had he could rekindle some form for us has gone.

Once we get Fab and Thiago back we'll be in a lot stronger position though.

The wise one has spoken...well said Si...all this talk of reverting back to square pegs in round holes, c'mon lads really?
      We can't have Robbo or Trent pushed up, we can't have Gomez as a makeshift RB, same as we won't see Joe as DM as I alluded to once recently,  me hypocritical, maybe?
      But look at where we're at and the opposition we have faced whilst our main engine is having a refit,  second only three behind Chavs,  yes it could have better, yes we have given away 2 goal leads,  and of course we will be better going forward, 

Carrying,  is perhaps too strong a word FOAR used in his post but let's be honest,  Alex is on borrowed time, Curtis is remember still learning his trade and wee Harvey is a year behind him...

Hendo,  Fabinho and Thiago is our strongest trio imo,  we are better balanced,  more solid and have creativity,  you'll be happy with that trio V City or Chavs, but against your bus parkers and the like chuck wee Harvey in rather than Thiago and let him link up with Mo ahead or Trent running into channels and watch that trifecta create absolute havoc , similar on the left putting Keita link with Mane & Robbo, of course we all need them fit enough to play, we've once again simply been unlucky with the timing of the tge injuries and to whom,
      But we are coming through it, Thiago back training Fabinho probably a week behind him and we all hope of course Harvey comes back in ready for the run in,
      We're second 3 behind but we're yet to reach our peak, We're operating in 3rd/4th gear , give some thought to our current state, CL Knock out imminent and totally in the title race, and scoring lots of goals from all over not just the three amigo's,  is that fella Lukaku remember him, is his consistently on a par with Mo ? and you can the same about any other forward in Europe, 

I'm rambling now fairy muff, but we're miles off square pegs in round holes,  unless you were all alluding to MUtants,  in which case please accept my humblest appologgies!!

YNWA
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #149: Nov 02, 2021 08:19:05 am
      I think Jones is a talent, but, He looks like a player who believes all the hype written about him, and that he 'has made it'. Well he has to a certain degree, but he does look like he overdoes it sometimes, like he's superior to those opponents in front of him. He has great performances occasionally, then goes backwards with trying to do too much, too many touches, too much trickery, and to often loses possession, or travels 10 yards forwards, then has  turn and play the ball back 30 yards too get out of trouble.  Just not consistent enough with the good performances, and defensively, goes missing as well. On counters, he's usually 10 yards behind the ball, and not exactly busting a gut to get back.
      It may all knit together as time goes on, but I think he does get carried in some matches.

Consistency is the word.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #150: Nov 02, 2021 09:42:42 am
      Fab is back in training.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #151: Nov 02, 2021 10:04:39 am
      I think Jones is a talent, but, He looks like a player who believes all the hype written about him, and that he 'has made it'. Well he has to a certain degree, but he does look like he overdoes it sometimes, like he's superior to those opponents in front of him. He has great performances occasionally, then goes backwards with trying to do too much, too many touches, too much trickery, and to often loses possession, or travels 10 yards forwards, then has  turn and play the ball back 30 yards too get out of trouble.  Just not consistent enough with the good performances, and defensively, goes missing as well. On counters, he's usually 10 yards behind the ball, and not exactly busting a gut to get back.
      It may all knit together as time goes on, but I think he does get carried in some matches.

Consistency is the word.

Consistency is a word mate and Iā€™ll use another, experience, and you can only get both by playing regularly I see where your coming in regards to Curtis still making mistakes whether thatā€™s overplaying or believing heā€™s made it, I donā€™t think the latter applies though, if JĆ¼rgen thought so he wouldnā€™t be playing, nobody is above their station, I just think itā€™s youthful exuberance, he wants to do so well and being scouse compounds that exuberance, heā€™ll settle down given time, thereā€™s probably still a bit ofā€™ I canā€™t believe Iā€™m actually hereā€™ kind of deal when he looks around the dressing  room, rubbing shoulders with his heroes,

Heā€™s a very good prospect is our Curtis, but some flowers take longer to bloom, and it does show in some aspects of his game, nothing major, just little creases that will iron out through time, heā€™s in a good place and it wonā€™t take long for him to blossom.

Y  N  W  A

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #152: Nov 02, 2021 10:32:07 am
      Curtis is doing fine. He will learn, he reminds me of Trent a bit in his development. The fact that he is so willing to try things shows he has confidence which you canā€™t always teach.  That will serve him well.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #153: Nov 02, 2021 01:16:55 pm
      As good as he is, the lad is a kid and you couldnā€™t expect him to show that form all year through, and everyone else is injury proneā€¦ it was obvious we needed midfield cover and I think we all got a little ahead of ourselves with the form Elliott was showing and the hope we had Keita had turned a cornerā€¦ reality has slapped us in the face again and brought us back down to Earth and reminded us of what we all knew in the summer, we needed a midfielder.

A kid? Trent was one, Owen, Gerrard, Fowler and so many others. Yes, Elliott had his place cemented based on performance and form.

For me, everyone fit would play: Fab, Thiago and Hendo.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #154: Nov 02, 2021 03:10:12 pm
      I forgot to add in Milner so we do have experienced cover but right now we have 4 midfielders crocked. I doubt you will get someone of Fab or Thiago to come in and sit on the bench waiting for the next injury. We did make a mistake last season with the CB's but I am not sure this is the same at all. A player of Ox's experience should be able to so a job but he seems to be lacking something and its stopping him claiming a starting spot. If Fab is back tomorrow it will make all the difference in the wolrd
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #155: Nov 02, 2021 03:46:01 pm
      A kid? Trent was one, Owen, Gerrard, Fowler and so many others. Yes, Elliott had his place cemented based on performance and form.

For me, everyone fit would play: Fab, Thiago and Hendo.
      Yeah he did, but it would be foolish and irresponsible to think a 18 year old, playing in a new position, could keep up that amazing start to the season and was the answer to losing Gini...   
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #156: Nov 02, 2021 03:47:16 pm
      Just been an unlucky month or so with Injuries in the position.

Starting look up now with Fab & thiago back.

Milner & Naby will be back after international break, then klopp will have too many to choose from. ;D

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #157: Nov 02, 2021 04:21:59 pm
      [Neil Jones] JĆ¼rgen Klopp says Naby Keita [hamstring] ā€œwill be out for a while.ā€

So gets taken out by Pogba in a nasty tackle and that doesn't sideline but another muscle injury does. Crazy.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #158: Nov 02, 2021 09:37:33 pm
      So gets taken out by Pogba in a nasty tackle and that doesn't sideline but another muscle injury does. Crazy.

Nothing crazy about a hamstring injury!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #159: Nov 03, 2021 01:57:52 pm
      Quote from sore monad
      Pretty sure Trent can do a job in MF, maybe a very good one. If Neco can't do a job at RB, then we need to sign a RB anyway in my opinion, more urgently than a midfielder, and it would kill that second bird with the one stone.

We have players that can play in different positions, but Trent is not one of them. England tried him in midfield recently against one of the pub teams in their group and by all accounts, it didn't work. So we can't risk it. The England coach can now use the failure of the experiment, to justify not picking him.

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Yet Iā€™m sure weā€™d all happily swap places with the Chavs who are ahead of us despite losing a game.
      Unfortunately when you draw 40% of your first 10 games, a defeat doesnā€™t make a huge amount of difference because City have lost twice but are only 2 points behind us so I donā€™t look too much into unbeaten runs.

Arsenal went a whole season unbeaten but still failed to achieve a points total as high as what us and City have done despite losing games.

With having more options in defence than the midfield at the moment and the midfield looking vulnerable on days like today, we shouldā€™ve gone gone for Matip in place of Jones for 3 CBs and wing backs when it was 2-1. Trent and Robbo wouldā€™ve been an extra number to help out in the midfield without the defence being left too exposed. I know Klopp doesnā€™t like that formation but thereā€™s a reason why weā€™ve conceded so many whilst Chelsea have conceded so few and thatā€™s it.

After 10 games last year, we had conceded 16 goals. This year at the same point it's less than 1 per game. We haven't conceded many, in fact it's the third best defensive record in the league, despite 5 midfielders all in the treatment room at once.

Sure we'd all love to swap places with Chelsea, but we'd all swap places to face Newcastle and Norwich every week. In a very easy group in. Europe, 3 of their 4 games have finished 1-0. When they had to face City, they set up to nick a 1 goal win as they usually do, and lost. There will be more where that came from as the season goes on. All we can do is put ourselves in the position to take full advantage when the time comes.
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2021 02:32:40 pm by lfc across the water »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #160: Nov 03, 2021 07:54:46 pm
      After 10 games last year, we had conceded 16 goals.

Alisson has also been forced to make more saves at this stage of a season than in any of his previous ones with us up to now. It doesn't always matter how many goals you concede in the number of games, it's how many you concede in individual games and conceding 5 goals in games vs Brentford and Brighton has cost us 4 points so far. The only reason we haven't concede more goals than we already have this season is because Alisson is saving us most weeks.

Quick Reply