Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54820 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #161: Nov 19, 2021 05:14:30 pm
      Its not going to get any better with the injuries picked up with the internationals. I went early last season when everyone was still worried about a title race but this season is in very serious danger of going the same way. Throw in the AFCON and by February a top 4 battle could be on the cards again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4879 
      Reply #162: Nov 21, 2021 12:41:43 pm
      For me when all fit it has to be Fabinho, Thiago and one other.

Those two give us the base and right blend in the 6 and the deeper of the 8 and Chamberlain as the more advanced 8 made me eat my words and was perfect for that role yesterday.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #163: Nov 21, 2021 01:10:38 pm
      For me when all fit it has to be Fabinho, Thiago and one other.

Those two give us the base and right blend in the 6 and the deeper of the 8 and Chamberlain as the more advanced 8 made me eat my words and was perfect for that role yesterday.

It's weird how things turn, Thiago and ox now covering for injured players and looking so classy. Going to be interesting when milner, naby and Jones are fit again. Options options. 😁
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #164: Nov 21, 2021 01:27:56 pm
      It's weird how things turn, Thiago and ox now covering for injured players and looking so classy. Going to be interesting when milner, naby and Jones are fit again. Options options. 😁

For me, Jones is battling for a position with Morton on the bench. Absolutely no chance he gets anywhere near that midfield given his form this season and how badly exposed we've looked with him in the midfield. He needs to work very hard on the training pitch if he's got a long term future at the club in my opinion.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #165: Nov 21, 2021 01:43:14 pm
      For me, Jones is battling for a position with Morton on the bench. Absolutely no chance he gets anywhere near that midfield given his form this season and how badly exposed we've looked with him in the midfield. He needs to work very hard on the training pitch if he's got a long term future at the club in my opinion.

Luckily for jones morton plays in different position. ;D

Jones will be rotated with naby & ox.

Hopefully jones is back soo, so there is at least the option.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #166: Nov 21, 2021 02:04:07 pm
      Don't get me wrong. Thiago is a very good player, but am I the only one frustrated by the fact that he loses the ball too often and puts us in dangerous positions? Sometimes, he passes the ball with not enough power, and we lose it and the ofter team gets an occasion for counterattack. And I believe that since he is not that good defensively, we are too much exposed.

The trio Thiago-Fabinho-Hendo seems to be balanced just right but Thiago needs to convince me that he deserves to start.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #167: Nov 21, 2021 02:05:56 pm
      Don't get me wrong. Thiago is a very good player, but am I the only one frustrated by the fact that he loses the ball too often and puts us in dangerous positions? Sometimes, he passes the ball with not enough power, and we lose it and the ofter team gets an occasion for counterattack. And I believe that since he is not that good defensively, we are too much exposed.

The trio Thiago-Fabinho-Hendo seems to be balanced just right but Thiago needs to convince me that he deserves to start.

👀
      *Checks not in jokes thread
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #168: Nov 21, 2021 02:26:40 pm

Thiago isn’t cover, he’s a starter when healthy regardless of options 🙂

But as far as Ox, however, when others are back he goes to the bench as he’d be behind Thiago, Hendo and Keita given health.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #169: Nov 21, 2021 02:29:10 pm
      I’m intrigued by Morton and hope he gets minutes against Porto and with the main team in the league. Seems to be a good player there who would be great to have as a Fab backup option.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4879 
      Reply #170: Nov 21, 2021 03:44:26 pm

But as far as Ox, however, when others are back he goes to the bench as he’d be behind Thiago, Hendo and Keita given health.

Agree 100%

It's Fabinho, Thiago and one other for me when all fit and healthy.

On form this season the third is Keita
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #171: Nov 21, 2021 03:49:02 pm
      Luckily for jones morton plays in different position. ;D

Jones will be rotated with naby & ox.

Hopefully jones is back soo, so there is at least the option.

Not by much. I'd rather have an extra defensive midfield option on the bench than a more forward facing player. No way is Jones being rotated if Naby and Ox are fully fit. Those two will swap occasionally but Jones will (and should be) just a bench player at best. No way can we afford the sort of displays that cost us so badly against Brighton and Brentford.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #172: Nov 21, 2021 03:52:13 pm
      Agree 100%

It's Fabinho, Thiago and one other for me when all fit and healthy.

On form this season the third is Keita

For me, I’d go Elliott as the 3rd personally. I know he’d only played a handful of games but for me there was just something about his performances so far where you just know he’s going to get better and better whilst being consistent. Not sure Keita offers us any sort of consistency because as likely as he is to have a good game, he’s just as likely to have a mare and get hooked at half time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4879 
      Reply #173: Nov 21, 2021 03:53:15 pm
      For me, I’d go Elliott as the 3rd personally. I know he’d only played a handful of games but for me there was just something about his performances so far where you just know he’s going to get better and better whilst being consistent. Not sure Keita offers us any sort of consistency because as likely as he is to have a good game, he’s just as likely to have a mare and get hooked at half time.

Agree actually.

Had discounted Elliott due to the injury as despite the recent photos of him I doubt he'll be anywhere near ready soon.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #174: Nov 21, 2021 03:55:47 pm

Agreed. I only meant in terms of how weird things have turned out with injuries, 2 of the most injury prone players now covering for the rest. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #175: Nov 21, 2021 03:57:11 pm
      Not by much. I'd rather have an extra defensive midfield option on the bench than a more forward facing player. No way is Jones being rotated if Naby and Ox are fully fit. Those two will swap occasionally but Jones will (and should be) just a bench player at best. No way can we afford the sort of displays that cost us so badly against Brighton and Brentford.

Bit harsh on jones, still learning his trade.

Agreed though that fully fit naby & ox are ahead of him.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #176: Nov 21, 2021 03:58:50 pm

The stats say otherwise for naby, whenever he does start we generally play well and win.

Hes so unlucky he was really playing well, until this latest Injury. Luckily its not serious and he will be playing again soon.
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #177: Nov 21, 2021 04:10:53 pm
      Fab and Thiago with Keita further forward pressing and scoring ability far greater than others
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #178: Nov 21, 2021 04:16:34 pm

Don’t disagree about Elliott, but when Keita has played as the most advanced midfielder we haven’t had to worry about half time hooks. He terrorizes the opposition when he’s focused on pressing and creating.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #179: Nov 21, 2021 05:18:27 pm

Sorry - is the is a serious post 😂
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #180: Nov 22, 2021 02:59:03 am

Yes. I'm serious. Thiago loses the ball often. And I don't think that he's good defensively, at least not much better at tackling than Fab, Hendo, Keita or even Ox - who seems to win possession more frequently than Thiago. He's an incredible player, but I'm not sure if he deserves to start every game if Keita is fit, for example.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #181: Nov 22, 2021 08:12:54 am
      Yes. I'm serious. Thiago loses the ball often. And I don't think that he's good defensively, at least not much better at tackling than Fab, Hendo, Keita or even Ox - who seems to win possession more frequently than Thiago. He's an incredible player, but I'm not sure if he deserves to start every game if Keita is fit, for example.

Really interesting that we watch the same game but have such different opinions. I thought Thiago was absolutely superb off the ball in terms of pressing and used it brilliantly to get our front three into the game. Stats show it as well.

I think we're unbeaten in 12 when we've managed to put Fab and Thiago out on the same pitch. If we're to keep pace with Chelsea and City this season it's crucial we can keep Thiago fit and get him out there most weeks because he elevates our midfield to the next level IMO.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #182: Nov 22, 2021 01:45:35 pm
      Really interesting that we watch the same game but have such different opinions. I thought Thiago was absolutely superb off the ball in terms of pressing and used it brilliantly to get our front three into the game. Stats show it as well.

I think we're unbeaten in 12 when we've managed to put Fab and Thiago out on the same pitch. If we're to keep pace with Chelsea and City this season it's crucial we can keep Thiago fit and get him out there most weeks because he elevates our midfield to the next level IMO.

Gini was good for us in midfield, no doubting that, but he often had the ball at his feet snd seemed indecisive with what to do with it. Tiago on the other hand, plays one or two touch passes, long or short, diagonals or through the gaps. Mostly too quick for defenders to react to.
      That’s the difference for me. Very few passes fail to reach their target, and our transition from winning the ball back to getting the strikers in attack mode is so much smoother and effective.
      Horses for courses as they say. In Ginis favour, he was hardly ever injured !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #183: Nov 25, 2021 01:48:14 pm
      So called Fringe midfielders playing well when given a decent run in the team.

Thiago & the ox bring different qualities to the team.

When you actually look at all our midfielders they all have different attributes. Its a really good blend tbh.

Tough choices for klopp when all fit again, which is very soon. :-)

Quick Reply