Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54700 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #253: Jan 03, 2022 07:54:18 pm
      Our  goalkeeper and back four would stand up in any era as would our front three but  Hamman, Alonso and Gerrard would simply change this team out of all recognition so dont even look at City look at what we have had as a guide .
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #254: Jan 03, 2022 07:55:48 pm
      Jürgen will never say anything to bring negativity to the club and will not complain if we dont sign anyone. But if you think he is happy struggling to put out quality sides crack on

He isn't struggling to do that. Klopp could have managed anyone he wanted when he joined us and that's even more true now. PSG, Real, Bayern, Chelsea, Man U. Why doesn't he do that? Maybe you should take him at his word.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #255: Jan 03, 2022 07:58:40 pm
      He isn't struggling to do that. Klopp could have managed anyone he wanted when he joined us and that's even more true now. PSG, Real, Bayern, Chelsea, Man U. Why doesn't he do that? Maybe you should take him at his word.

He is so unhappy here struggling to put out a quality squad that he chose to extend his contract and when he does leave it will be the longest he will have ever stayed at a club.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #256: Jan 03, 2022 08:02:46 pm
      He could spunk 400 million in January and wed loose them all to covid, or the afcon 😬

Jürgen is the most professional man I have ever seen in Football any issues he will deal with face to face behind closed doors funny that because its how the club used to run. We are now paying the price as we did last season for not building on the success of 2018-2020 two CL finals a runners up EPL and EPL title I dont know who if anyone we could get now in January as we have missed the boat and other teams will now possibly catch us up and go past us
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #257: Jan 03, 2022 08:09:17 pm
      It’s funny how whenever we drop points it’s always someone else’s fault we did and not the players on the field who chocked up a 2-0 lead.

Or substitutes given 20 mins to eradicate all the poor play
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #258: Jan 04, 2022 08:21:36 am
      Watch the coded messages Jürgen is blinking with his eyes. That's what to follow, not his words.

He's only lying.in public, to all of.us, not in private, because he's actually very honest.

Coded blinks spell out "Stop me, before I win again."

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #259: Jan 04, 2022 09:56:42 am
      As a few have said on other threads the biggest issue this season is we don't control games especially in midfield.

Not every game as there has been some but on the whole we have been very open this season and our football is almost back to the free flowing heavy metal style from Jurgens earlier time here.

Always feel we need to score a few to time games and never comfortable with  a 1 goal lead.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #260: Jan 05, 2022 11:55:41 am
      As a few have said on other threads the biggest issue this season is we don't control games especially in midfield.

Not every game as there has been some but on the whole we have been very open this season and our football is almost back to the free flowing heavy metal style from Jurgens earlier time here.

Always feel we need to score a few to time games and never comfortable with  a 1 goal lead.

True, we lack stability, injuries and covid haven't helped. Very rarely have we seen the Hendo-Fab-Thiago. I prefer to have Keita in there but he's always injured.

In this sense, we do miss Wijnaldum. Don't get me wrong, I did not miss his influence, I think he sometimes had no influence on the game but at least we knew who would be in midfield. In this sense, we miss someone like him.
      Milner too, should never start a league game, he's way past it. I think he's more influencial in front but Klopp does not use him there anymore. Remember that he had the record of the most assists in a CL season a few years ago. A great career, but he's just average now.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #261: Jan 05, 2022 11:59:54 am
      is it malfunctioning or is it doing what it can with those selected?

Thiago and Keita the only real 2 we have that create or make runs into the box, but they hardly ever play, Jones likewise

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #262: Jan 05, 2022 12:02:24 pm
      Weve just had an unlucky run with stupid niggly injuries and now covid. :(

We were cruising and coping fine until a few weeks ago.

Perhaps this enforced covid break will strangely help. We probably wont play for another week now, cant see us playing FA cup game at weekend.

I mean ffs. Were still in every comp. Its not like back in the dark days when we were out of everything before xmas. ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #263: Jan 05, 2022 12:09:54 pm

Perhaps this enforced covid break will strangely help. We probably wont play for another week now, cant see us playing FA cup game at weekend.

I mean ffs. Were still in every comp. Its not like back in the dark days when we were out of everything before xmas. ;D

Get out of here with your positive outlook boo down with that type of thing
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #264: Jan 05, 2022 12:29:41 pm
      Get out of here with your positive outlook boo down with that type of thing

careful now.  ;D
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #265: Jan 05, 2022 01:05:30 pm

IMO result at Stamford Bridge is acceptable, but what damage us most so far are results vs Leicester, West Ham, Brighton and Brentford.
      And the time we play those four games there is no crisis of player injuries or covid-19 in our squad.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #266: Jan 05, 2022 03:11:36 pm
      IMO result at Stamford Bridge is acceptable, but what damage us most so far are results vs Leicester, West Ham, Brighton and Brentford.
      And the time we play those four games there is no crisis of player injuries or covid-19 in our squad.

Leicester was the only terrible result IMO, but these things happen in football.

City will drop points, we just have win our games in hand, and see where we are when we play them next, its still game on.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #267: Jan 05, 2022 04:04:06 pm
      We really need to start thinking about, or at least starting, to build a more reliable, younger midfield. We have great midfielders, but a few are aging or just not able to stay fit at all, even if you take Covid away, it was true for a few of them before.

CDM: Fabinho/Hendo
      CM: Thiago/Keita/Oxlade/Jones/Milner

I'm not going to put Elliott in there because although he was playing well, he is still a forward in my eyes with a handful of CM performances. Same with Morton, not gonna count him as he's a kid who's main focus is cup games for progression right now.

Milner I'd say is in his last year of playing, at our level at least, Oxlade is done, Thiago, as wonderful as he is when on the pitch, is aging and only reliable for a half the games a season if that, Keita has it all to be a starter, and if he was to stay fit would surely be a weekly starter, but can he? Jones is up and coming, and I have all faith he could start many games, I'd more say if we want to be a serious contender, he's a bench player for the next year or so still...

That leaves Fabinho and Hendo, Fabinho will be our CDM for the foreseeable future, which is great because he's elite, even if a few injuries have started creeping in. Captain Hendo is fantastic, and although in a poor dip of form, you know out there you're getting 100% and for the most part he's reliable fitness wise, although he is past that 30 mark (I know, that's my FIFA brain working)...

So you have Oxlade and Milner who I doubt will play any part next year, Thiago who will be fit for, if we are lucky half the games, if he's still here, Keita who you have to watch through your fingers whenever a player goes close to him and Jones who's a sub at most... leaving Fabinho and Hendo as the only two reliable players, although like I said, still have a few niggles between them too, we can't go into another season like that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #268: Jan 05, 2022 04:49:29 pm
      We really need to start thinking about, or at least starting, to build a more reliable, younger midfield. We have great midfielders, but a few are aging or just not able to stay fit at all, even if you take Covid away, it was true for a few of them before.

I'm not going to put Elliott in there because although he was playing well, he is still a forward in my eyes with a handful of CM performances. Same with Morton, not gonna count him as he's a kid who's main focus is cup games for progression right now.

Milner I'd say is in his last year of playing, at our level at least, Oxlade is done, Thiago, as wonderful as he is when on the pitch, is aging and only reliable for a half the games a season if that, Keita has it all to be a starter, and if he was to stay fit would surely be a weekly starter, but can he? Jones is up and coming, and I have all faith he could start many games, I'd more say if we want to be a serious contender, he's a bench player for the next year or so still...

That leaves Fabinho and Hendo, Fabinho will be our CDM for the foreseeable future, which is great because he's elite, even if a few injuries have started creeping in. Captain Hendo is fantastic, and although in a poor dip of form, you know out there you're getting 100% and for the most part he's reliable fitness wise, although he is past that 30 mark (I know, that's my FIFA brain working)...

So you have Oxlade and Milner who I doubt will play any part next year, Thiago who will be fit for, if we are lucky half the games, if he's still here, Keita who you have to watch through your fingers whenever a player goes close to him and Jones who's a sub at most... leaving Fabinho and Hendo as the only two reliable players, although like I said, still have a few niggles between them too, we can't go into another season like that.

I actually think Jones is going to be featured more and more. He's been a bit unlucky with injuries and Covid this year but I feel like he's going to be a regular starter next year. Agree with you on Fab, he's got to be a focal point. Also agree that Oxlade and Keita are likely done with us (or at least not able to contribute regularly). Hendo is great when he's got Fab and Thiago next to him, when he doesn't maybe a little less effective. I don't know what the solution is but agree that refreshing needs to happen.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #269: Jan 05, 2022 05:00:48 pm
      I actually think Jones is going to be featured more and more. He's been a bit unlucky with injuries and Covid this year but I feel like he's going to be a regular starter next year. Agree with you on Fab, he's got to be a focal point. Also agree that Oxlade and Keita are likely done with us (or at least not able to contribute regularly). Hendo is great when he's got Fab and Thiago next to him, when he doesn't maybe a little less effective. I don't know what the solution is but agree that refreshing needs to happen.

The thing with his eye, was random as fuk.

Hopefully thats him sorted now and be a big asset for rest of season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #270: Jan 05, 2022 05:02:32 pm

Agreed we need some new young blood into the MF.

Im sure it will happen next summer, probably lots of pokers in the fire.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #271: Jan 05, 2022 07:24:48 pm

Pretty much agree with that assessment of our midfielders. Only slight differences is that I wouldn't rule out Milner staying 1 more year (but that would surely be his last), and Harvey Elliot I think can be a starting CM for us. By next season, I'd like to see us sell Ox, and probably Keita too, and get in a couple of younger, quality, fit replacements.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #272: Jan 16, 2022 03:55:57 pm
      For me today was an example of what we can do when the likes of Thiago are missing.

Jones much more comfortable on the left of the midfield three and gives us far more than Milner.

Chamberlain while not perfect have us more balance in the wide right then Jota and then allowed Diogo to play a more natural position.

I know I banged on about this a couple of times and it's not totally midfield related but today was a much better set up in general.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #273: Jan 16, 2022 05:03:43 pm
      Getting Elliott back will be a massive lift for us - he was our best midfielder by a mile before his injury ... we've really missed him
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #274: Apr 17, 2022 10:29:37 am
      Didn't want to start a new thread but just thought yesterday was the best midfield three we have and the perfect blend.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #275: Apr 17, 2022 03:16:21 pm
      Didn't want to start a new thread but just thought yesterday was the best midfield three we have and the perfect blend.

Hahahaha I just love how this team make cu*ts of us all. Malfunctioning midfield. Crying about Mane and Salah off to Afcon etc etc no F***ing bother our lads just keep on rolling over the opposition.

Quick Reply