Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54720 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #299: Oct 23, 2022 11:53:53 am
      Wait a minute, did we play with only once DM yesterday?

I could have sworn in the games we won its been a pairing, but yesterday it was Fab by himself with Jones further up field or was he attempting to be his partner? Because if he was he did an absolute terrible job at it.

When we have performed best we have had two pulling the strings deep in midfield, right? Or am I missing something.

There was just the one DM and Jones a bit higher
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #300: Oct 23, 2022 11:56:22 am
      There was just the one DM and Jones a bit higher

Ok, in that case we need to at least go with a pair surely as against Rangers, City and West Ham we played with a pair and saw a real difference in how our midfield played.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #301: Oct 23, 2022 12:02:21 pm
      Ok, in that case we need to at least go with a pair surely as against Rangers, City and West Ham we played with a pair and saw a real difference in how our midfield played.

Been saying it all season and will keep doing so

This squad of players is not a 4 3 3 squad anymore. Double pivot 4 2 3 1 is what suits most of the players here now
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #302: Oct 23, 2022 12:03:39 pm
      Been saying it all season and will keep doing so

This squad of players is not a 4 3 3 squad anymore. Double pivot 4 2 3 1 is what suits most of the players here now

Fab just isn't mobile enough and Hendo isn't mobile enough if playing higher up the pitch to cover the right. We also do not have Gini who would have been higher up but able to cover more space also.

Think you are bang on.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #303: Oct 23, 2022 12:26:03 pm

If we aren’t using the 4-3-3 then we definitely need two sitting

Fabinho would be ok if he was on form but when struggling he was like a fish out of water yesterday- he needed help
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #304: Oct 23, 2022 01:08:40 pm
      It’s the area they will look at

Maybe a younger player in during Jan , then a big player in during the summer and another the summer after

Naby i can see getting a new contract

Running his contract down isn't he? I think he's off end of the season. Get him off the wage bill and offer his wage to someone who'll have an effect.

Sad disappointment that hasn't even offered glimpses of what he was supposed to be.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #305: Oct 23, 2022 01:14:02 pm
      might be worth putting him in against Leeds as well but also Naby is coming back amazingly which could help

Honestly thought that at Old Trafford, I'm past caring about Naby now. If he's fit great, but not expecting much. Has had loads of opportunities to push on and never seems to take it or gets injured/pulls a sickie.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #306: Oct 23, 2022 01:16:16 pm
      Running his contract down isn't he? I think he's off end of the season. Get him off the wage bill and offer his wage to someone who'll have an effect.

Sad disappointment that hasn't even offered glimpses of what he was supposed to be.

Not sure - but he will leave as a disappointment as there is a player there
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #307: Oct 23, 2022 01:18:38 pm
      I quoted my own post so as not to appear to be highlighting others who now think so differently. 6 months later and including the summer break our squad has disintegrated into chaos and is very fragile now.  Losing the league again by another point and just not turning up at the CL whilst just about winning the two domestic cups maybe has taken its toll on confidence being so close to a perfect season.
      If we turn up against Ajax with the midfield functioning properly, we have a chance but they will rip us apart if we start with the same midfield as yesterday

Not forgetting we did to you what you thought you were going to do to us.  :P
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #308: Oct 23, 2022 01:20:29 pm

No you won, nohting emphatic like the 5-0. Just your manager got your players to turn up for your cup final!!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #309: Oct 23, 2022 01:27:11 pm
      No you won, nohting emphatic like the 5-0. Just your manager got your players to turn up for your cup final!!

Didn’t think you’d bite but I’ll take it.  :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #310: Oct 23, 2022 01:32:58 pm
      Didn’t think you’d bite but I’ll take it.  :lmao:

Sad f**ker, but you are a utd fan at heart, so expect nothing less.

Remember the time your fans sung about Boris Johnson just because of the self pity thing way back in 2006. I wonder how all of Boris' decisions of the last few years are having an effect in Manchester now?

TORY, TORY MAN UTD
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #311: Oct 23, 2022 01:53:43 pm
      Sad f**ker, but you are a utd fan at heart, so expect nothing less.

Remember the time your fans sung about Boris Johnson just because of the self pity thing way back in 2006. I wonder how all of Boris' decisions of the last few years are having an effect in Manchester now?

TORY, TORY MAN UTD

Don’t you mean GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED.  :P

I’m working class, fcuk Boris and fcuk the tories
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #312: Oct 23, 2022 02:38:02 pm
      Part of the problem is our midfielders never score goals. Or even take shots from outside the box. Just why? The huge majority of the good teams have players who are willing to shoot outside the box.

One of my dream signings would be Valverde he has scored 7 goals this season from a mixture of central midfield and right wing.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #313: Oct 23, 2022 02:40:13 pm

no idea what you are on about memory has been erased. No I dont want you to remind me.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #314: Oct 23, 2022 02:42:26 pm
      Part of the problem is our midfielders never score goals. Or even take shots from outside the box. Just why? The huge majority of the good teams have players who are willing to shoot outside the box.

One of my dream signings would be Valverde he has scored 7 goals this season from a mixture of central midfield and right wing.

this has been a huge problem and now highlighted as Mo's incredible stats now look more like normal after being world class.
      We dont have really aggressive creative midfielders in this system do we.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #315: Oct 23, 2022 02:53:39 pm
      Tyler Morton looks like he is having a strong season so far
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #316: Oct 23, 2022 03:40:47 pm
      It’s definitely where our problems lie, if there not injured there out of form, the is not the passing of last season not the running nor passion, we need new and proven midfielders and soon
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #317: Oct 23, 2022 05:24:46 pm
      Case, McDermott, Souness, Molby and a fair few since, scored plenty from midfield. This current squad all need to take a few speculative shots from outside the box.
      As I said yesterday, against a defensive wall like that, the fancy flicks eye of a needle stuff isn't gonna work.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #318: Oct 23, 2022 05:43:14 pm
      Don’t think the lack of goals is an issue, their job has never been about control

If we focus on our prime years, the midfield has a few specific roles which they did to great effect

Providing cover for full backs to allow them to progress further up the pitch, also provide that double cover if one of the wide players was too far away, eg if the lcm covered lb, the other two tucked in

They also provided the press to back up our front players when they pressed to narrow the game and squeeze it to allow us to win the ball

More importantly they helped us control games and dominate it

All of that has reduced to an average level, so much so our formation had to be changed and as soon as we went back to an older style formation of one dm etc we struggled badly and lost to a championship team. Our second 11 should be beating a championship team, let’s be honest, we wee Liverpool, we should put our foot down and yea this sounds arrogant and cocky but that’s what I’m used to seeing

Part of our issues is, Henderson and fab are clearly playing with injuries and can only get through one game per week, as they are having to play more, the press, cover. And ball retention is non existent. It’s like a dynamo effect. We show glimpses of it and our retention bit eventually die out and get overrun

I know this sounds strange but the people to blame lies firmly with our transfer committee or process we have and that includes our boss

Has klopp ever re built a team after a cycle ended? He did not see this coming it’s clear because if he did, we would have brought in a couple of cm and got rid of couple of crocks too reignite our midfield, I think he will do it in the summer for sure or maybe even try in January where possible

The committee and our system of how we run the club works well when we are proactive

Let’s take a look when klopp and our system were reactive. The cb situation a couple years back, and look how it cost us

The cm situation, klopp said he was happy and then realised what was coming and said he got it wrong, that is the problem, we need a new midfield, a couple of quality players to re fuel the engine and also give us more control

This is a massive learning season for fsg and klopp and I hope they don’t just blame bad luck, they must realise they were not on the buzzer to rebuild our cycle

Sadly it may cost us top 4 but I do believe if we can get in a quality cm with legs and good ability, it can save our season and we can get even 3rd, I truly believe that

Then at the end of the season and people may call me a c**t for treating our players like assets but hey, they are millionaires, they can survive with being sold to a lower club and they will be fine

Ox pay him to leave
      Keita, pay him to leave
      Jones loaned out
      Milner coach

Next season
      Hendo, Thiago, Elliott, fab plus 2 new cm (one in jan and one on summer) and also hopefully a younger to make up 7
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #319: Oct 23, 2022 06:09:02 pm
      Don’t think the lack of goals is an issue, their job has never been about control

If we focus on our prime years, the midfield has a few specific roles which they did to great effect

Providing cover for full backs to allow them to progress further up the pitch, also provide that double cover if one of the wide players was too far away, eg if the lcm covered lb, the other two tucked in

They also provided the press to back up our front players when they pressed to narrow the game and squeeze it to allow us to win the ball

More importantly they helped us control games and dominate it

All of that has reduced to an average level, so much so our formation had to be changed and as soon as we went back to an older style formation of one dm etc we struggled badly and lost to a championship team. Our second 11 should be beating a championship team, let’s be honest, we wee Liverpool, we should put our foot down and yea this sounds arrogant and cocky but that’s what I’m used to seeing

Part of our issues is, Henderson and fab are clearly playing with injuries and can only get through one game per week, as they are having to play more, the press, cover. And ball retention is non existent. It’s like a dynamo effect. We show glimpses of it and our retention bit eventually die out and get overrun

I know this sounds strange but the people to blame lies firmly with our transfer committee or process we have and that includes our boss

Has klopp ever re built a team after a cycle ended? He did not see this coming it’s clear because if he did, we would have brought in a couple of cm and got rid of couple of crocks too reignite our midfield, I think he will do it in the summer for sure or maybe even try in January where possible

The committee and our system of how we run the club works well when we are proactive

Let’s take a look when klopp and our system were reactive. The cb situation a couple years back, and look how it cost us

The cm situation, klopp said he was happy and then realised what was coming and said he got it wrong, that is the problem, we need a new midfield, a couple of quality players to re fuel the engine and also give us more control

This is a massive learning season for fsg and klopp and I hope they don’t just blame bad luck, they must realise they were not on the buzzer to rebuild our cycle

Sadly it may cost us top 4 but I do believe if we can get in a quality cm with legs and good ability, it can save our season and we can get even 3rd, I truly believe that

Then at the end of the season and people may call me a c**t for treating our players like assets but hey, they are millionaires, they can survive with being sold to a lower club and they will be fine

Ox pay him to leave
      Keita, pay him to leave
      Jones loaned out
      Milner coach

Next season
      Hendo, Thiago, Elliott, fab plus 2 new cm (one in jan and one on summer) and also hopefully a younger to make up 7

Nice thought but it isn't going to happen. FSG have yet to show they splash out big. We'll be lucky to pull in 25 million combined for Keita, Ox and Curtis.

Regarding Keita and Ox, who is going to come in and take these 2 off our hands given their horrendous injury records?

Never mind, just checked and both Keita and Ox are free at end of Season so at least we save money on wages. Will be glad to see the back of them to be honest, both have been big disappointments,

One thing i will say, this midfield is an absolute mess. FSG and Klopp took their eye off the ball on this one.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #320: Oct 23, 2022 06:14:22 pm
      Keita and Ox both run out of contract at tbe end of the season so unless they sign a new one will be leaving

It’s also worth noting that you don’t need to splash out big to bring quality in

The recent purchases of Jota , Konate and Diaz show that - all under £50mil and all far cheaper than other players who moved around at the same time

That’s where our transfer team come into their own by finding those gems that aren’t overpriced - and I have no doubt there will be players they have highlighted

In Jan or over the World Cup I think we will see one arriving under the radar and then in the summer another will arrive.

It’s a tough one for the midfield because Klopp likes them to play a certain way.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #321: Oct 23, 2022 06:21:00 pm
      bought for £220mil currently worth close to £4billion  when will people wake up

Quick Reply