Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54731 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #322: Oct 23, 2022 06:26:43 pm
      What is obvious is that it's not going to be a quick fix. Very often it's just a tweak or add another but we have 4/5 who are past their sell by date or who aren't good enough...Hendo, The Ox, Keita, Jones. Thiago approaching that point. Fabinho,  Elliott making half decent progress but by no means at this point, a Liverpool player.

Could claim a decision on The Ox and Keita should've been made 18 months or so ago but just seems the Boss is hanging on in a forlorn hope that they'll come good.

Last season was brilliant and brilliantly handled by Klopp. Could just be the Boss is too good a manager...for his own good..if you get my drift. His brilliance disguised the problems. But now it's caved in..
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #323: Oct 23, 2022 06:28:03 pm
      bought for Ā£220mil currently worth close to Ā£4billion  when will people wake up

How is that relevant to anything ?

This was the boss on the midfield

https://twitter.com/theanfieldwrap/status/1546554921322852352?s=46&t=NzCgGDsv73UTHTEW1WTIhg

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2022 06:34:23 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #324: Oct 23, 2022 06:37:02 pm

Precisely my point, klopp dropped the ball this summer and thought he was fine, which is understandable for him to think that but itā€™s back fired

How many managers have re built teams over after a cycle has ended ? Even pep couldnā€™t do it at Barcelona and left. At city he dropped the ball a season as well and then spent a lot to re do his team as such

We need fresh blood itā€™s clear
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #325: Oct 23, 2022 06:39:33 pm
      Nice thought but it isn't going to happen. FSG have yet to show they splash out big. We'll be lucky to pull in 25 million combined for Keita, Ox and Curtis.

Regarding Keita and Ox, who is going to come in and take these 2 off our hands given their horrendous injury records?

Never mind, just checked and both Keita and Ox are free at end of Season so at least we save money on wages. Will be glad to see the back of them to be honest, both have been big disappointments,

One thing i will say, this midfield is an absolute mess. FSG and Klopp took their eye off the ball on this one.

Let them go for free, the money is there, we made some big bids in the summer when we panicked but was too late

Klopp himself said no cm was needed hence why we were planning for next season but then realised he made an error but was too late

We definitely had the funds for a quality cm buy, I believe we will get one on jan and then another on the summer

Next season we will be so much better and it will be clear to see

I expect 4 in from this jan until next summer and 3-4 out
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #326: Oct 23, 2022 06:40:05 pm
      Precisely my point, klopp dropped the ball this summer and thought he was fine, which is understandable for him to think that but itā€™s back fired

How many managers have re built teams over after a cycle has ended ? Even pep couldnā€™t do it at Barcelona and left. At city he dropped the ball a season as well and then spent a lot to re do his team as such

We need fresh blood itā€™s clear

Itā€™s tough to recycle whilst still challenging but we have been doing it

Konate
      Elliot
      Carvahlo
      Nunez
      Diaz
      Jota

Players being brought in to refresh the squad

But someone to freshen up the middle must be next
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #327: Oct 23, 2022 06:44:19 pm
      We don't need to spend Ā£100M plus on any one player.

Two CM around Ā£50M could still transform this side.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #328: Oct 23, 2022 06:47:40 pm

Yup

Ox and Keita out and two quality cm is all we need and watch the machine click into gear

The World Cup year is a blessing, we have a solid month to find someone for January and can get some players fit too

Itā€™s why I feel we can get third even still, imagine if we had no break

We would be playing the reserves
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #329: Oct 23, 2022 06:49:00 pm

I think it will be someone around Ā£30-40 mil and then someone like Bellingham

One could be a free transfer also
      « Last Edit: Oct 23, 2022 07:11:01 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #330: Oct 23, 2022 06:59:37 pm

So does this mean you guys now believe FSG 'do' need to spend money on midfielders?
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #331: Oct 23, 2022 07:13:07 pm
      The fact the Ox and Keita's contracts are up and we'll get nothing for them is really hard to understand tbh.
      Whatever about AOC, JĆ¼rgen's 'kicked grass' comments said a LOT about what he thought of him.
      And yet they were never sold.
      There's an argument to say that they weren't fit enough to buy - tells it all really.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #332: Oct 23, 2022 07:19:53 pm

One thing i will say, this midfield is an absolute mess. FSG and Klopp took their eye off the ball on this one.

It's been coming.
      Years depending on handful of core CMs while not investing proper in experience/quality replacements and integrating them over time.
      And these same guys who have helped win us the trophies we won now getting flack for poor performances when they've been flogged to bits in as many games as they are capable.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #333: Oct 23, 2022 07:25:55 pm
      The fact the Ox and Keita's contracts are up and we'll get nothing for them is really hard to understand tbh.
      Whatever about AOC, JĆ¼rgen's 'kicked grass' comments said a LOT about what he thought of him.
      There's an argument to say that they weren't fit enough to buy - tells it all really.

Kicked grass ? What are you on about
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #334: Oct 23, 2022 07:26:18 pm

Only ever recall West Ham showing any interest in Ox and something about Dortmund and Keita but itā€™s tough to sell when there are no buyers
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #335: Oct 23, 2022 08:35:18 pm
      January will probably not be good for transfers coming out of the WC god only knows what players will be like shattered I suspect and running on empty by February.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #336: Oct 23, 2022 09:18:06 pm
      So does this mean you guys now believe FSG 'do' need to spend money on midfielders?

Can't speak for anyone else but I do yes.

But then they were seemingly prepared to pay for Tchouameni in the summer so the obstacle yet again seems to be waiting on the right player being available.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #337: Oct 23, 2022 09:20:53 pm

But then they were seemingly prepared to pay for Tchouameni in the summer so the obstacle yet again seems to be waiting on the right player being available.

Itā€™s clear that Klopp wants a certain type of midfielder and will wait until they can get that player
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #338: Oct 23, 2022 09:35:49 pm
      I'll be honest I thought we went into the season with enough midfield options but in hindsight the sheer amount of players we have there who pick up injuries should have had alarm bells ringing a little.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #339: Oct 23, 2022 10:05:19 pm
      We've dropped the ball big time when it's come to our midfield and we're currently paying the price for it.

Farcical that we've gone two summers without doing anything significant in that position.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #340: Oct 23, 2022 10:09:59 pm
      We've dropped the ball big time when it's come to our midfield and we're currently paying the price for it.

Farcical that we've gone two summers without doing anything significant in that position.

Clearly thought that the defence and front line where the two areas that needed looking into first

With limited budgets then you could sort of see why they looked at the back line first then the forward line - with the centre of the park more ā€œfunctionalā€ and there being enough numbers they would wait

But imo they changed when Keita got injured but by that time very late in the window , if Keita was injured earlier I reckon someone would have arrived
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #341: Oct 24, 2022 01:03:56 am
      I'll be honest I thought we went into the season with enough midfield options but in hindsight the sheer amount of players we have there who pick up injuries should have had alarm bells ringing a little.

I was the same. There was a point where it seemed to be foolish to even suggest we needed midfielders after the season we had and with the number of supposed fit players we had in those positions (not to mention we added Carvalho). And we did obviously fancy going after the lad that went to Madrid but didn't get him, so obviously someone thought we needed to add some quality, but it didn't seem to happen. Then apparently the injury bug attach itself squarely to our ass and now we are in a right state of affairs. Not sure anyone would or should have assumed this would happen even with some of the injury prone players we have.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #342: Oct 24, 2022 09:22:50 am
      Kicked grass ? What are you on about

Go back and review JĆ¼rgen's quotes
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #343: Oct 24, 2022 09:32:00 am

Understand that recruiting the very top players can be difficult.
      But improving on what we had should not have been hugely difficult, and we did pretty much nothing. Waiting and doing nothing isn't a good strategy.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #344: Oct 24, 2022 09:36:29 am

Only ever recall West Ham showing any interest in Ox and something about Dortmund and Keita but itā€™s tough to sell when there are no buyers

Surely there were times over the last 2 - 3 years when SOMEONE would have paid something for them.
      Anyway, what's done is done.
      AOC was a punt and didn't cost a whole lot, Naby though at 50 odd million didn't return on investment, but still surprised they couldn't find someone to recoup at least some funds, even 15-20 mill.

Quick Reply