Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54694 times
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #368: Feb 25, 2023 11:46:49 pm
      Put Hendo at RB let him fall into the current Millly role

Trent into Mid

Make up your damn mind where Elliot will play, Mid or wing. Never LW for me.  I think he's better in the RCM or RW  Still young but give him a damn position to focus on.

Thiago , keep i guess. Unless someone makes us an offer we can't refuse which i doubt.

Sell Fab, get what u can now before he's 30. Legs are gone. Fine servant to the club but it's time.

Baj- gotta beef up some, kid could be great

Curtis, from what Ive seen so far , he's not first 11.  keep / sell dont matter

Then use the 300 million that FSG will give us and get some stars  :D

PS- I have no idea what im talking about , im stoned  :cool-smiley-027:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #369: Feb 26, 2023 07:07:11 am
      Put Hendo at RB let him fall into the current Millly role

Trent into Mid

Make up your damn mind where Elliot will play, Mid or wing. Never LW for me.  I think he's better in the RCM or RW  Still young but give him a damn position to focus on.

Thiago , keep i guess. Unless someone makes us an offer we can't refuse which i doubt.

Sell Fab, get what u can now before he's 30. Legs are gone. Fine servant to the club but it's time.

Baj- gotta beef up some, kid could be great

Curtis, from what Ive seen so far , he's not first 11.  keep / sell dont matter

Then use the 300 million that FSG will give us and get some stars  :D

PS- I have no idea what im talking about , im stoned  :cool-smiley-027:

Made perfect sense coz I'm stoned too!  :lmao:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #370: Feb 26, 2023 10:28:05 am
      Arthur is back match fit so should feature over the next few games might offer us something a bit different in midfield we'll see.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #371: Feb 26, 2023 11:34:48 am
      I don't know about anybody else watching our games but, why do we always have to stop an attack and pass it back through our defenders and more often than not Alli too? Hendo seems to be one of the culprits for this ,I'd much prefer to have our attack pushing forward than dithering ....maybe I'm wrong ?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #372: Feb 26, 2023 11:42:01 am
      I don't know about anybody else watching our games but, why do we always have to stop an attack and pass it back through our defenders and more often than not Alli too? Hendo seems to be one of the culprits for this ,I'd much prefer to have our attack pushing forward than dithering ....maybe I'm wrong ?

We don't have the guile or speed in midfield to form quick attacks. That's why we need a fast powerful box to box midfielder like Bellingham.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #373: Feb 26, 2023 11:54:06 am

Probably because the other midfielder/forwards, are mostly stood still with a marker. No body running off the ball to offer a target for a quick one-two.
      Weird, as when it breaks down, thats exactly what you get from the opposition. Only movement we seem to have is up top, but that invites the long ball which quickly becomes a 50/50 ball. We don't have that speed in progress going forward anymore. Its all slow and laboured, or backwards as you say.
      We can do it, we do in short spells, but once we concede possession doing that, we seem to lose confidence, and its one forward pass, then back to virgil or robbo.  God knows how tho change it.
      I was shouting at the box yesterday, ' theres a through ball there to 'whoever' and its gone back to virgil again !  F***ing maddening.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #374: Feb 26, 2023 12:58:10 pm
      Keep Thiago and Bajcetic and flog the rest

Unfortunately mate we're going to find it hard to find suitors for our players because firstly of the money we'd be expecting in terms of transfers and then the money they'll be expecting as wages. Which is probably why we've been unable to offload Keita or Chamberlain before their contracts expire. Somebody like Fabinho for instance is on 180k a week (https://lfcglobe.co.uk/liverpool-fc-players-wages-contract-details/) at what other club will he get that sort of money, especially when we'd probably be looking to recoup most of, if not more than, of the 40m we spent on him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #375: Feb 26, 2023 02:00:17 pm
      Unfortunately mate we're going to find it hard to find suitors for our players because firstly of the money we'd be expecting in terms of transfers and then the money they'll be expecting as wages. Which is probably why we've been unable to offload Keita or Chamberlain before their contracts expire. Somebody like Fabinho for instance is on 180k a week (https://lfcglobe.co.uk/liverpool-fc-players-wages-contract-details/) at what other club will he get that sort of money, especially when we'd probably be looking to recoup most of, if not more than, of the 40m we spent on him.

Yep, I agree with you. More out of frustration last night I said that.

I think we've got ourselves into a real mess in that position now. With our limited budget it's going to take several windows to fix that midfield with no real sellable asset to fund a rebuild.
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 120 
      Reply #376: Feb 26, 2023 02:16:45 pm
      I have never understood why we have to recoup more than we spent for every player we have bought. Especially not when we have used and abused them for their best playing years.
      Wages are another thing entirely. But surely freeing up the wage bills by those going on a free is better than no money at all and hanging on to players who lets face it, like Fab are well past it now?
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #377: Feb 26, 2023 02:45:07 pm
      It's not like it's just the midfield and we are OK elsewhere. The defence is as bad as the midfield and the forward line isn't firing. Strength in depth is also an issue.

The summer obviously we can make a start on rebuilding.

I think I'd be looking for 4 players this summer. A quality right back, a quality centre half and 2 quality midfield players. I'd promote Philips in a sense to one of our 4 behind vvd and konate and bring another top class centre back in. A quality right back to go straight into the team is a must.

Gomez, Matip, Ox, keita, Melo, Fabinho and Jones would all be shifted on.

That leaves you with Henderson, Milner, Thiago, Bajcetic, Elliott, Carvalho, Morton plus the 2 quality mids (starting 11 players) we bring in. I honestly don't think we will miss any of the above. Maybe 3 mids needed if the budget allows. But 2 I think is as good as it gets.

We can't afford any mistakes.

Up top I'm torn on Bobby. I'd probably leave the forward line as is and retain Bobby ... so Bob, Salah, Nunez, Jota, Diaz, Gapko plus young Doak. 7 options.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #378: Feb 26, 2023 02:59:10 pm
      Tyler Morton is being hammered by Rovers fans and has not started for last month or so Jones will not go before him
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #379: Feb 26, 2023 03:01:10 pm
      Arthur is back match fit so should feature over the next few games might offer us something a bit different in midfield we'll see.

:lmao:

He won't start!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #380: Feb 26, 2023 03:04:36 pm
      I have never understood why we have to recoup more than we spent for every player we have bought. Especially not when we have used and abused them for their best playing years.

It's not every player as we're letting Keita and Chamberlain go for free this summer but before you consider wages, that's somewhere between 80-90 million that we're getting nothing back for. In Fabinho's case, he is a much better player now than the one we bought and at 29 in today's market, we should be looking to recoup most of the 40m we splashed out on him. If we're looking to sell him at all.

Wages are another thing entirely. But surely freeing up the wage bills by those going on a free is better than no money at all and hanging on to players who lets face it, like Fab are well past it now?

As for this, we can only free wages with players leaving on a free when their contract is up, which Fabinho's isn't for a few years. That should, in theory, add to his value because the selling club isn't as needy to sell as say someone who is in their last twelve months - it works both ways of course though because it means the player has an extra option to him, which is to stay at the club that's already paying him x amount. An amount that the buying club may not be willing to meet.

So getting players off our books to free wages up is great, especially when that player isn't offering much and are getting paid far too much. But to get to that stage you have to pay them until their contract is up or you need to sell them and most clubs would want to get back what they've spent on a player. Just letting players run down their contract to eventually free up their wages is not a strategy I would encourage.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #381: Feb 26, 2023 03:04:39 pm

Moneyball!!

It's how we make our transfer funds. Extract every last penny out of a deal. Even our most shittest players can still make a few quid on.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #382: Feb 26, 2023 06:02:45 pm
      Tyler Morton is being hammered by Rovers fans and has not started for last month or so Jones will not go before him

Oh. He's not cutting it there then ... unlike Elliott. I doubt Jones would cut it at Blackburn either to be honest.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #383: Feb 26, 2023 06:07:48 pm

Sorry that’s not true about him not starting for a month or so

He has started 9 out of the last 10 matches for them

rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #384: Feb 26, 2023 06:26:25 pm
      Sorry that’s not true about him not starting for a month or so

He has started 9 out of the last 10 matches for them

Really . Just checked there last 3 games and he hasn't started one and won all 3 and it is true that fans do not rate him so if we are basing our hopes on our midfield with him we are fu**ed he simply isn't good enough
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #385: Feb 26, 2023 06:29:56 pm
      Really . Just checked there last 3 games and he hasn't started one
      Sorry misread these

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tyler-morton/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/618494/wettbewerb/GB2/saison/2022

Started 24 out of 33 and been brought on 8 times
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #386: Feb 27, 2023 10:56:49 am
      I believe Fab still has 3.5yrs on his contract so I can't see him going anywhere
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #387: Feb 27, 2023 12:55:39 pm
      Well it's more a case of malfunctioning defense. We generally play 4-3-3....The front 3 don't press and cover as much as they used to. That puts pressure on the ageing midfield..ditto the back 4.

We just don't work hard enough off the ball..and that goes for when we are in possession as well. Individually yes some are not performing or are very inconsistent.

Under performing and mediocrity is as bad as Japenese knotweed....once it takes hold...bugger of a job to kill it off..
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #388: Feb 27, 2023 01:21:09 pm
      It's not hard to see that Liverpool have failed to recruit properly in midfield.  Here's how old the Liverpool midfield are/will be at the end of this year.  The only two lads who are in their 20's are arguably the least useful of the lot.

Milner (37)
      Henderson (33)
      Thiago (32)
      Fabinho (30)
      Oxlade-Chamberlain (30)
      Naby Keita (28)
      Curtis Jones (22)
      Harvey Elliott (20)
      Stefan Bajectic (19)

Take four years off those lads (Shaqiri and Wijnaldum also were in their 20s at the time) and you get to the much healthier position we were in in 2019.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #389: Feb 27, 2023 01:30:51 pm
      Maybe 3 mids needed if the budget allows. But 2 I think is as good as it gets.

I think we certainly need two midfielders who can come into the team.  Fabinho has been out of sorts, no doubt about it but he is the main one on the list who could, next season, possibly stage a resurgence.  Bajcetic and Elliott are both very young as well.  I'm much more confident that Bajcetic could be a regular in the midfield in years to come than Jones. 

I hope Diaz recovers well from his injury.  I'd like to see him, Nunez and Salah play together for an extended period, although without that Firmino type figure it will place even more pressure on the midfield.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #390: Feb 27, 2023 01:58:55 pm
      It's not hard to see that Liverpool have failed to recruit properly in midfield.  Here's how old the Liverpool midfield are/will be at the end of this year.  The only two lads who are in their 20's are arguably the least useful of the lot.

Milner (37)
      Henderson (33)
      Thiago (32)
      Fabinho (30)
      Oxlade-Chamberlain (30)
      Naby Keita (28)
      Curtis Jones (22)
      Harvey Elliott (20)
      Stefan Bajectic (19)

Take four years off those lads (Shaqiri and Wijnaldum also were in their 20s at the time) and you get to the much healthier position we were in in 2019.

Don’t think age can be the only significant factor to point too

Look at Modric - 37

Fabinho at 30 should still be in his Prime

But it could come down to the intensity the manager needs the players to play at week in week out taking a lot more out of the players - hence why last season has taken a lot out of them - plus the shortened pre season , then the World Cup etc

Add a couple of players in the summer - give the others a proper rest to recouperate and you will see Fabinho being back to his self

Quick Reply