Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54691 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #414: Feb 27, 2023 09:20:24 pm
      And I think we should be looking to tweak to a more 2-1 midfield along the lines of 4 2 3 1 given the make up of our attackers now so the amount of actual CM playing any given games doesn't always need to be 3 as we have been in the past.

Will depend on what sort of CM arrives in the summer - not show that formation suits Mo unless he is the one
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #415: Feb 27, 2023 09:41:00 pm
      I think we can get caught out thinking a major overhaul is needed with five or six leaving but on further looking 2 top quality CM could make all the difference but they need to be the right players.

If you take it Keita and Chamberlain go in the summer for definite and possibly Milner if we add the right two we still have a strong midfield.

Someone made the point, think it was JD, that Fabinho could have a resurgence in him next season and that is still a possibility even given his dire form this season and on form he's as good a 6 as any.

Add Declan Rice and Barella for example to the following and we look back in business again:

Rice
      Barella
      Fabinho
      Bajcetic
      Thiago
      Henderson
      Jones
      Elliott

I agree that we don't need a major rebuild just a few quality players to go into the starting 11.
      A new CB is becoming more of a priority for me. Assuming we have limited funds, maybe £150m plus what we get from sales (this might be over optimistic) my priority would be-
      1 top quality MF, Rice, Bellingham or similar.
      1 top quality CB that could potentially get in the first 11 with VVD or Konate.
      A 2nd Midfielder, realistically he's not going to be top quality as we've not got the cash. Maybe someone on a free or a young player with potential to develop. Would still need to be able to play some games but probably not going to be able to afford a 2nd starting 11 midfielder this summer.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #416: Feb 27, 2023 09:45:16 pm
      Can see us getting two CMs and a CB this summer plus a couple of development players.

Could well be enough to make us competitive if the signings are absolutely on point but we will need to build on that pretty quickly to consistently challenge, as Hendo, Fab and Thiago all have significant issues, whilst Curtis is a squad player.

I just don't think we will be as bold to try and offload 6/7 players in one summer even though there is a good case for doing so.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #417: Feb 27, 2023 10:00:38 pm
      Add Declan Rice and Barella for example to the following and we look back in business again:

I don't think we'll have the money for two 'top' level CMs like that. Barella will be Bellingham territory in terms of price and if West Ham stay up (which I think they will) Rice will go at a ridiculous price as all the top clubs will be interested.

With the lack of sellable assets in the squad the best we will get this summer will be one top midfielder and a couple of cheaper options (another CM and a CB).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #418: Feb 27, 2023 11:33:47 pm
      I dunno. I think a season long loan to somewhere like Celtic would be great for him.

Was hoping United would take him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #419: Feb 28, 2023 01:57:15 am
      I agree that we don't need a major rebuild just a few quality players to go into the starting 11.
      A new CB is becoming more of a priority for me. Assuming we have limited funds, maybe £150m plus what we get from sales (this might be over optimistic) my priority would be-
      1 top quality MF, Rice, Bellingham or similar.
      1 top quality CB that could potentially get in the first 11 with VVD or Konate.
      A 2nd Midfielder, realistically he's not going to be top quality as we've not got the cash. Maybe someone on a free or a young player with potential to develop. Would still need to be able to play some games but probably not going to be able to afford a 2nd starting 11 midfielder this summer.

Wouldn’t it be great to not have to assume we will have limited funds. 😢
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #420: Feb 28, 2023 02:13:36 am

It would be great.  I'd love if our owners put up the money required to sign 3 new stars and we could immediately go back to challenging on all fronts next season.  I'd also love to win the lottery.  Fat chance of either happening I'm afraid....
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #421: Feb 28, 2023 05:55:39 am
      After years of underinvestment, Barella and Jude will do.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #422: Feb 28, 2023 07:58:05 am
      After years of underinvestment, Barella and Jude will do.

Yep 2 of that quality would be great although Rice and Barella would be a better balance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #423: Feb 28, 2023 01:11:50 pm
      Yep 2 of that quality would be great although Rice and Barella would be a better balance.

A lot of media squawking about Mount. Seems like that might just be a case of lazy journalism.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #424: Feb 28, 2023 06:24:58 pm

Declan Rice would be my dream signing for us, and he looks like a leader too. I honestly think he is underrated in England. Foden, Mount (last season), saka and Bellingham get the news and fairly so. They are great players, but i have strong feeling that if Rice played for a bigger team then he would gotten more acknowledgement like the others do.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #425: Feb 28, 2023 06:35:19 pm
      Declan Rice would be my dream signing for us, and he looks like a leader too. I honestly think he is underrated in England. Foden, Mount (last season), saka and Bellingham get the news and fairly so. They are great players, but i have strong feeling that if Rice played for a bigger team then he would gotten more acknowledgement like the others do.

Rice is one of those under the radar players and doesn’t look like your top class player but he always seems to play well

Always thought he would end up at Chelsea but not sure now

The talk about Mount is interesting- think he would be a decent buy at a decent price
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #426: Feb 28, 2023 06:52:36 pm

I think it's normal to have to worry about money and live within a budget. That's life, for people, businesses and sports teams. I know there are a few teams/people/countries that are able to throw away money without any worries.

I prefer what we have now. When Jürgen rebuilds the team and we win the next PL or CL trophy it will taste better knowing it was won the right way.

But I think that's a discussion for other threads.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #427: Feb 28, 2023 08:21:46 pm
      Rice is one of those under the radar players and doesn’t look like your top class player but he always seems to play well

Always thought he would end up at Chelsea but not sure now

The talk about Mount is interesting- think he would be a decent buy at a decent price

Players who under different circumstances I'd both take but Rice's profile now is more all over the radar than under it and will cost a fortune whilst Mount...dunno if I could shake his connection to Chelsea. We'd also IMO need a Bellingham or Baretta type player to give us the balance.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #428: Mar 07, 2023 02:25:30 am
      Our MF was magnificent against them Manc cu*ts.

I actually voted Hendo as MOTM, didn't stop running or getting in their faces.

Led the charge from the front and got an assist to boot.

Need to mention Fab as well coz that's 2 really good games in a row he has played. Hopefully he is now back to his best for the run in.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #429: Mar 07, 2023 04:12:28 am
      Our MF was magnificent against them Manc Cu*ts.

I actually voted Hendo as MOTM, didn't stop running or getting in their faces.

Led the charge from the front and got an assist to boot.

Need to mention Fab as well coz that's 2 really good games in a row he has played. Hopefully he is now back to his best for the run in.

Magnificent? I don't know. ManU simply let us play our game. We're good on counterattack and we could do just that. I'm still convinced our weak sport is midfield, and one game does not change that for me. Elliott, as good as he has been in the second half, lost the ball at very dangerous places at least twice in the first half. We still need better midfielders: for me it's clear. Replace Keita, Ox and Milner. 2 good midfielders should do given that Jones and Elliott will be able to step up more.

Fabinho is not the player he used to be. Hendo is Hendo. He won't turn into Pirlo or Modric tomorrow.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #430: Mar 07, 2023 05:11:12 am
      Magnificent? I don't know. ManU simply let us play our game. We're good on counterattack and we could do just that. I'm still convinced our weak sport is midfield, and one game does not change that for me. Elliott, as good as he has been in the second half, lost the ball at very dangerous places at least twice in the first half. We still need better midfielders: for me it's clear. Replace Keita, Ox and Milner. 2 good midfielders should do given that Jones and Elliott will be able to step up more.

Fabinho is not the player he used to be. Hendo is Hendo. He won't turn into Pirlo or Modric tomorrow.

Like I said against those Manc cu*ts.

Our MF has taken crap all season and rightfully so (Stefan excluded, for me) but when they get it right and play the way they did, surely they deserve some credit.

I can't find fault in a 7-0 win!!!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #431: Mar 19, 2023 06:39:06 pm
      Another problem with our current midfield they aren’t contributing with goals
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #432: Mar 19, 2023 06:41:49 pm
      Another problem with our current midfield they aren’t contributing with goals

The midfield for years under Klopp haven’t been scoring goals - it’s not how they set up , the only two that did score occasionally were Ox and Keita
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #433: Mar 19, 2023 06:53:30 pm
      Just sign the brighton midfield
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #434: Mar 20, 2023 03:01:53 pm
      Just sign the brighton midfield

Not bad idea, then steal their scouts.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #435: Mar 21, 2023 11:26:22 am
      Midfielders on a budget:

Youri Tielemans
      Konrad Laimer
      Adrien Rabiot

And Rabiot posted Liverpool videos on his IG before.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #436: Mar 21, 2023 11:47:59 am
      Midfielders on a budget:

Youri Tielemans
      Konrad Laimer
      Adrien Rabiot

And Rabiot posted Liverpool videos on his IG before.

Why budget we have the 3rd highest revenue in the world - some big earners will be coming off the payroll as well.

No need to act like a mid table team.

Quick Reply