Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 55694 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,676 posts | 6688 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #483: Mar 25, 2023 10:49:05 pm

The year we steamrolled to the league and also the CL he was superb.

unfortunately some will only see the current situation

But that's the problem.

Sentiment. Same with Hendo and Milner and I bet Joel Matip is still at the Club next season.

Knowing us, we probably keep OX as well FFS!

We love and adore what they have done for the Club but sometimes, it's just better we move them on and try to upgrade.

Joe is a calamity for me, when he's in that back line. It's like panic stations all round.

Personally I'd love to keep Milner as he's just a pure professional, put him in any position and he'll give u 120% every time.

We just gonna have to wait and see how it all unfolds.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,272 posts | 2804 
      Reply #484: Mar 26, 2023 09:18:23 am
      Money will be there to bring in a good number of players

I’ll believe it when I see it. Too many times we’ve heard about a ‘big summer’ only to be met with disappointment.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,685 posts | 3360 
      Reply #485: Mar 26, 2023 09:39:32 am
      I’ll believe it when I see it. Too many times we’ve heard about a ‘big summer’ only to be met with disappointment.

A lot of the “big summer” noise was nonsense and when we didn’t actually need a big summer due to the squad we had at the time

This year we will need to fill a minimum of 4 spots in the squad with 3 being first team regulars potentially
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #486: Mar 26, 2023 11:28:15 am
      no point in replacing Naby,OX, et al with the same calibre of player. We now have a massive hole in the squad looming in the summer added to those leaving we have Hendo who despite being prone to injury insists on keeping his England spot and Milner who has so far defied his age but that cannot go on. Thiago hasnt been the player we had hope for and again injuries slow you down in your 30's so we could easily ship out our entire midfield and start again but we dont have any transfer value in it so all these smart people that were happy to take credit for transfers have fu**ed up big time and the  market now is crazy with a 19 year old over £100mil we simply won't buy quality this summer because we need quantity.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #487: Mar 27, 2023 12:04:41 am
      I think we need at least one really world class midfielder is that Bellingham am not sure but with our midfield it shows me a mirror image of our defense before the arrival of the great VVD.   Our defense before his arrival was as bad as it gets with one player we changed it. Matip looked brilliant paired with VVD and then gomez looked to have world class potential especially when we added Allison.   For me VVD before his injury was the best CD I've ever seen. 
       If somehow we can get a midfield version which is a big ask we can really start to change things.  We do need 2 midfielders and a centre back.  Because VVD hasn't been that superhuman since his injury.  Still very good most of the time but too many of us have seen a level from him that hasn''t returned he could carry any one paired with him.  He dictated the play.   We need another good centre halve.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #488: Mar 27, 2023 10:08:02 am
      I think we need at least one really world class midfielder is that Bellingham am not sure but with our midfield it shows me a mirror image of our defense before the arrival of the great VVD.   Our defense before his arrival was as bad as it gets with one player we changed it. Matip looked brilliant paired with VVD and then gomez looked to have world class potential especially when we added Allison.   For me VVD before his injury was the best CD I've ever seen. 
       If somehow we can get a midfield version which is a big ask we can really start to change things.  We do need 2 midfielders and a centre back.  Because VVD hasn't been that superhuman since his injury.  Still very good most of the time but too many of us have seen a level from him that hasn''t returned he could carry any one paired with him.  He dictated the play.   We need another good centre halve.

My only concern with Bellingham is that he's already showing signs of being over played as a teenager.
      We know all about that with Owen.
      Look at how much strapping Bellingham has on him this season and he's still playing.
      Kid could do with moving to a team where he'll get a bit of rest,
      not where he will play every match of the season and be expected to be box to box.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #489: Mar 27, 2023 01:04:07 pm
      My only concern with Bellingham is that he's already showing signs of being over played as a teenager.
      Look at how much strapping Bellingham has on him this season and he's still playing.
      not where he will play every match of the season and be expected to be box to box.

Our medical team will be salivating as you speak
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 825 posts | 295 
      Reply #490: Mar 27, 2023 02:24:02 pm

If we get 2 midfielders, Bellingham and 1 more we'll have a lot of players in that area. It might be Bellingham, Hendo, Fab, Thiago, Bajcetic, Jones, maybe Milner +1 other. That is 8 for 3 places in the starting 11. Obviously there are some old and injury prone players on that list; Bellingham should easily be the best midfielder of that 8 and would be expected to play all the big games. There is still plenty of opportunity to rest him for a game or take him of at 60min.
      The squad depth has been improving throughout Klopp's time at the club, the issue we have this season is that the quality of the starting  11 has dropped significantly from last season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #491: Mar 28, 2023 10:37:53 am
      If we get 2 midfielders, Bellingham and 1 more we'll have a lot of players in that area. It might be Bellingham, Hendo, Fab, Thiago, Bajcetic, Jones, maybe Milner +1 other. That is 8 for 3 places in the starting 11. Obviously there are some old and injury prone players on that list; Bellingham should easily be the best midfielder of that 8 and would be expected to play all the big games. There is still plenty of opportunity to rest him for a game or take him of at 60min.
      The squad depth has been improving throughout Klopp's time at the club, the issue we have this season is that the quality of the starting  11 has dropped significantly from last season.

Money no object you'd hope the club goes for a pair like Bellingham and Mac Allister.
      Rabiot on a free transfer is a good alternative.
      People who know more than us will make the call but "All in on Bellingham" is a big change of style for the club.
      In season's gone by it would be Mac Allister and Rabiot type of business where you get 2 quality players for a third of the price.
      And I say that as someone who would love to see Bellingham sign for Liverpool.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,708 posts | 566 
      Reply #492: Mar 28, 2023 10:48:58 am

that is such a good point.....No doubt we will get him and he will be injured for a few seasons...before going to West Ham
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #493: Mar 28, 2023 11:16:53 am
      Money no object you'd hope the club goes for a pair like Bellingham and Mac Allister.
      Rabiot on a free transfer is a good alternative.
      People who know more than us will make the call but "All in on Bellingham" is a big change of style for the club.
      In season's gone by it would be Mac Allister and Rabiot type of business where you get 2 quality players for a third of the price.
      And I say that as someone who would love to see Bellingham sign for Liverpool.

I think it's more sensible to spend than money on 2/3 players than one.

Bellingham looks a fantastic player but for our needs better to get at least 2 CM in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,221 posts | 6351 
      Reply #494: Mar 28, 2023 02:10:52 pm

Bellingham looks a fantastic player but for our needs better to get at least 2 CM in.

Why can't we do Bellingham and a couple of other CMs?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #495: Mar 28, 2023 02:13:18 pm
      Why can't we do Bellingham and a couple of other CMs?

We won't spend £200M plus on players this summer mate.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #496: Mar 28, 2023 03:26:58 pm

I don't think Bellingham will cost as much as people think he will.

Last year the most expensive league transfer of the summer was Nunez, and he was well below 100M. A couple years back when Sancho was being sold and had similar hype around him as Bellingham he didn't break 100M either.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,221 posts | 6351 
      Reply #497: Mar 28, 2023 04:40:26 pm
      We won't spend £200M plus on players this summer mate.

Well then we are going to have the same sort of problems next season that we are having now.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,685 posts | 3360 
      Reply #498: Mar 28, 2023 04:50:18 pm
      Well then we are going to have the same sort of problems next season that we are having now.

Why ?

Can we not bring in 3 quality players for under £150mil now ?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #499: Mar 28, 2023 05:06:14 pm
      Why ?

You think we are going to get Bellingham for £50M?

🤣🤣
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,685 posts | 3360 
      Reply #500: Mar 28, 2023 05:12:54 pm
      You think we are going to get Bellingham for £50M?

🤣🤣

Where did I say that 🤷‍♂️
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,221 posts | 6351 
      Reply #501: Mar 28, 2023 06:12:58 pm
      Why ?

Not if one is named Bellingham.

And why should we have to? Why do we need to operate on a shoestring budget to try and play catchup with teams that can spend what they need. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world FFS....we should start acting like it from time to time.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,685 posts | 3360 
      Reply #502: Mar 28, 2023 06:22:32 pm

And why should we have to? Why do we need to operate on a shoestring budget to try and play catchup with teams that can spend what they need. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world FFS....we should start acting like it from time to time.

So to act like a big club means spending more money than we earn 🤷‍♂️

Is that the definition of a big - how much money the spend , maybe that shows the state of the sport

And since when is spending over £100mil “shoestring”

It should never be about how much a club spends its always about how well a club spends

If we spend £150mil and bring in 3 quality players then does it matter that it’s not more ?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #503: Mar 28, 2023 06:32:12 pm

Correction we should be acting like it all the time , not just now and again ,
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,193 posts | 1205 
      Reply #504: Mar 28, 2023 06:43:26 pm
      If we can get players of Bellingham's quality for £50m I'm all for it. Maybe a couple of Bellinghams and a Gvardiol for £25m with Lallana conducting the negotiations in his pyjamas on behalf of FSG  :D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,685 posts | 3360 
      Reply #505: Mar 28, 2023 06:46:45 pm
      It’s a simple question for people

When we won the CL and then the league

How many “world class players” did we have in the midfield

Quick Reply