Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54701 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #644: Apr 13, 2023 12:09:48 pm
      Maddison &  James Ward-Prowse good shouts, especially the latter I really like him. Thing is to many of you lot read Tw@tter and all it does is mess with your minds. I tried to join it years ago when it first came out but fcuked up my setting thank god so just left it..

The amount of post you lads put on here all from Tw@tter  should be moderated.   :D I swear it does you no good but just cabbages everyoneā€™s heads. Personally Iā€™d ban all Tw@tter post on here, trust me it would be a better place coz many of you fighting/gossip/toxic /arguments in your own house. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø itā€™s not good for the forum.

Just my take on Tw@tter. 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

We need to stop agreeing Keith, itā€™s ruining our camaraderie, your spot on Twitter is just Twatter, all these itks typing sh*te for likes isnā€™t a temple for reality,

Yesterdayā€™s news of LFC dropping interest in Jude may have some substance but again large amounts of salt may be required also, no one knows what transpireā€™s between a club and any particular target communication wise, itā€™s simply just bullshit or click bait for those ā€œtold you soā€ moments ??

YNWA
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #645: Apr 13, 2023 12:33:23 pm
      Maddison  is going to Newcastle they going to have the UCL and they can outspend us with ease plus he's injury prone. We going to end up with Mount+Gallagher basically Chelsea reject and some random loan from championship side. Caicedo, Mac Allister, Rice are too expensive for us
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #646: Apr 13, 2023 12:50:40 pm

As will others too, like Spuds, Toon, canā€™t rule out the Fraudsters either, typically for column inches or exclusivity the media will pimp out players names hoping they land at one of the clubs they happen to mentioned,

Maybe in a week or two James Maddison will pop up, or James Ward Prowse, and the tale of woe will continue throughout summer,

The two lads from Brighton Iā€™m not so sure if they indeed could step up another level, are they really better than what we already have, Bacjetic, Morton eg; ok less experienced maybe but JĆ¼rgen knows both better than those Brighton boys, and their capabilities, I wouldnā€™t be at all surprised if ā€˜Aā€™ big name came in and joined those two young lads as part of the plan,

Would say a John McGynn excite anyone for example, and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s ones we fans would never consider but maybe JĆ¼rgen would/does,

Itā€™s all the usual speculation, mostly bullshit we read about, hear about every dawn of a summer window, this especially when we know itā€™s a massive window this time around !!

YNWA

John McGinn is a solid player , a lot of work rate and prob is the sort of player that Klopp would like - but some will dismiss him because he isnā€™t glamorous enough
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #647: Apr 13, 2023 01:15:13 pm
      The sort of criticism thatā€™s been labelled at them for years anyway

What they were good at was protecting , pressing , recycling to allow the creators to work and thatā€™s whatā€™s been missing

Yeh I forgot they could only do that side no need to worry about scoring or creating
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #648: Apr 13, 2023 01:31:12 pm
      Yeh I forgot they could only do that side no need to worry about scoring or creating
      That wasnā€™t the point

For years many people stated that the likes of Henderson , Gini , Fabinho etc didnā€™t score or create enough - it was a criticism labelled at the way Klopp set up the team - the creating was done by two attacking fullbacks that played as wingers mainly whilst the midfielders sat in allowing them to go forward as much as they did
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #649: Apr 13, 2023 02:09:06 pm
      John McGinn is a solid player , a lot of work rate and prob is the sort of player that Klopp would like - but some will dismiss him because he isnā€™t glamorous enough

I'm sure JĆ¼rgen would really like him when he's told he can't afford the players he actually wants. You think JĆ¼rgen fancies Bellingham because he's "glamorous"? That's rich.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #650: Apr 13, 2023 02:13:36 pm
      I'm sure JĆ¼rgen would really like him when he's told he can't afford the players he actually wants. You think JĆ¼rgen fancies Bellingham because he's "glamorous"? That's rich.

Are you just making stuff up now
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #651: Apr 13, 2023 02:16:05 pm

You mean like you do?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,451 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #652: Apr 13, 2023 02:20:50 pm

Id love Mcginn at LFC.

I would also take KT off Arsenal, Him and robbo link up really well on the left for scotland.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #653: Apr 13, 2023 02:22:09 pm

Whatā€™s been ā€œmade upā€ ?
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #654: Apr 13, 2023 03:14:41 pm
      Klopp fancies Bellingham because he's a top 5 midfielder in the world the closest player we will get  to a  Steven Gerrard not because he's glamorous.

I'd rather him + get someone like Rabiot/Thuram on free over players like: Mount, Gallagher, Nunes.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #655: Apr 13, 2023 03:16:22 pm

He's 28 we need players around the 20/25 range.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #656: Apr 13, 2023 03:23:20 pm

Paulinha is also 28 and would be a good addition. There is nothing wrong with bringing in someone like McGinn for 3 seasons 
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #657: Apr 13, 2023 05:54:23 pm
      Paulinha is also 28 and would be a good addition. There is nothing wrong with bringing in someone like McGinn for 3 seasons

K.Thuram is avaliable for 60 million euros and City are sniffing around him. I don't think anyone is paying 160 million for Jude Bellingham, problem is the competition is going to get even tougher for the players we want. We need to sort the midfield as early as possible.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #658: Apr 13, 2023 06:12:21 pm
      I said the other day and got shot down I think Bellingham wants to come to us but with us not having CL and the money that comes with it I can see him staying at Dortmund another season, he's a star player guaranteed CL why not stay another 12mths he'll only be 20 this time next year why not stay at Dortmund.
      I also got stick for saying Trent was gonna play midfield against Arsenal...it was something I'd read but still got stick.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #659: Apr 13, 2023 06:20:35 pm
      K.Thuram is avaliable for 60 million euros and City are sniffing around him. I don't think anyone is paying 160 million for Jude Bellingham, problem is the competition is going to get even tougher for the players we want. We need to sort the midfield as early as possible.

There will be a list as long as the M62 of players that will be linked to multiple clubs - it will all be meaningless until clubs make bids or players leave

Thuram will be another young player touted around the continent
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #660: Apr 13, 2023 06:48:18 pm
      Klopp fancies Bellingham because he's a top 5 midfielder in the world the closest player we will get  to a  Steven Gerrard not because he's glamorous.

I'd rather him + get someone like Rabiot/Thuram on free over players like: Mount, Gallagher, Nunes.

Agree, Bellingham should still be top of our list.
      FSG the slimey fuckers have been promising to back JĆ¼rgen, but expectations have already been lowered around that possible transfer, and people seem to be moving on.

It's been a sh*t show of a season, after a sh*t show of transfer windows were the midfield has stagnated.
      They would've sold up if they'd got an offer they considered good, but they didn't get it - I'm now done giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Tired of hearing about F***ing accountancy. Back JĆ¼rgen and buy us some quality players, or F**k off!!!
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #661: Apr 13, 2023 07:16:08 pm
      Why not look at Kokcu he's one of the best players in the Dutch league ? And he's only 22 as well and won't be expensive either.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #662: Apr 13, 2023 08:01:09 pm

Nor was Andy Robertson!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #663: Apr 13, 2023 08:03:38 pm

Kenny was 27 when he signed ā€˜77ā€™, he wasnā€™t a bad No7 was he ??
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #664: Apr 13, 2023 08:09:18 pm

Yep spot on
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #665: Apr 13, 2023 09:51:29 pm
      So essentially most if not all the top clubs have a central midfidler (sometimes 2-3) who can chip in with goals. We have NONE. Examples:

Arsenal: Odegaard, Xhaka
      Man City: De Bryune, Gundogan, Silva
      Man Utd: McTomany, Sabitzer, Fred, Fernandes
      Newcastle: Joelinton, Willock, Gumares
      Aston Villa: Ramsey, Luiz

When was the last time we saw Fabinho, Henderson, Elliott, Thiago, Keita, Milner, Jones etc.. score a few goals?

This means we are still heavily reliant on our full backs and forwards to do the heavy lifting when creating goals. We have no penetration centrally apart from Thiago with his brilliant passing. But no one drives forward centrally - the midfidlers who used to (Keita and Chamberlain) are injury prone. We are not encouraged to shoot from range.

Unfortunately our style of play in midfield is deliberate, and if we are just replacing our midfielders like for like, then we will continue to have this problem. I think Klopp needs to release the shackles and encourage our midfielders to get forward and actually shoot from range. Of course this should only happen once we have a whole new midfield in place, but this tactic needs tweaking. The fact we do not play someone as a No 10 makes it even more glaring we need goals from midfield.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #666: Apr 14, 2023 01:43:26 pm
      So essentially most if not all the top clubs have a central midfidler (sometimes 2-3) who can chip in with goals. We have NONE. Examples:

Arsenal: Odegaard, Xhaka
      Man City: De Bryune, Gundogan, Silva
      Man Utd: McTomany, Sabitzer, Fred, Fernandes
      Newcastle: Joelinton, Willock, Gumares
      Aston Villa: Ramsey, Luiz

When was the last time we saw Fabinho, Henderson, Elliott, Thiago, Keita, Milner, Jones etc.. score a few goals?

This means we are still heavily reliant on our full backs and forwards to do the heavy lifting when creating goals. We have no penetration centrally apart from Thiago with his brilliant passing. But no one drives forward centrally - the midfidlers who used to (Keita and Chamberlain) are injury prone. We are not encouraged to shoot from range.

Unfortunately our style of play in midfield is deliberate, and if we are just replacing our midfielders like for like, then we will continue to have this problem. I think Klopp needs to release the shackles and encourage our midfielders to get forward and actually shoot from range. Of course this should only happen once we have a whole new midfield in place, but this tactic needs tweaking. The fact we do not play someone as a No 10 makes it even more glaring we need goals from midfield.

Not entirely true.
      What those teams have is attacking midfield options that are at their peak.
      For some time now Liverpool have had an issue in that Ox and Keita were those players but don't feature.
      The only player that regularly contributes is 18 year old Elliott.
      Squad has needed two mids in the 20-26 bracket in the last two summers.

Quick Reply