Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54689 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #667: Apr 14, 2023 02:45:58 pm
      I said the other day and got shot down I think Bellingham wants to come to us but with us not having CL and the money that comes with it I can see him staying at Dortmund another season, he's a star player guaranteed CL why not stay another 12mths he'll only be 20 this time next year why not stay at Dortmund.
      I also got stick for saying Trent was gonna play midfield against Arsenal...it was something I'd read but still got stick.

Its a possibility he does stay at dortmund and run his contract down.

As you say hes only 19. No hurry for him at all.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #668: Apr 14, 2023 02:49:10 pm
      Its a possibility he does stay at dortmund and run his contract down.

As you say hes only 19. No hurry for him at all.

Dortmund won't allow that, they thrive on selling stars for huge sums and then developing new ones. That's literally their model.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #669: Apr 14, 2023 03:14:07 pm
      Dortmund won't allow that, they thrive on selling stars for huge sums and then developing new ones. That's literally their model.

City got Haaland off them at a steal.
      Can't see them making that mistake again.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #670: Apr 14, 2023 03:28:29 pm

They are very close to Bayern Munich this year, 2 points behind with a much worse goal difference, same number of games played. Maybe they are sick of coming second and think that keeping Bellingham will help them win a league title.

If we were Dortmund fans we'd be really annoyed if the club sell Bellingham this summer when they have a chance of overtaking Bayern.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #671: Apr 14, 2023 04:02:36 pm
      They are very close to Bayern Munich this year, 2 points behind with a much worse goal difference, same number of games played. Maybe they are sick of coming second and think that keeping Bellingham will help them win a league title.

If we were Dortmund fans we'd be really annoyed if the club sell Bellingham this summer when they have a chance of overtaking Bayern.

They are not going to change their operating model to help out LFC 😉

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #672: Apr 14, 2023 04:22:16 pm
      I could see us going for Mac Allister (why did they split his surname?), attempting a move for Mount which will be tricky and the third I reckon will be someone young and unproven or otherwise much cheaper. We still need a defender of course and we aren't buying Ferraris this summer so will have to get used to Volvos and Audis replacing our Morris Minors and Reliant Robins.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #673: Apr 16, 2023 05:58:33 pm

Well more clickbait sites and sh*te jpurnos ahve actually been saying this is what he is gonna do.

So fuk knos. l o l
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #674: Apr 16, 2023 06:04:07 pm
      Well more clickbait sites and sh*te jpurnos ahve actually been saying this is what he is gonna do.

So fuk knos. l o l

Dortmund would still get major money for him 12 months from now. Maybe he stays there and gets his move here next summer.

But, we won't be able to afford it.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #675: Apr 16, 2023 06:32:47 pm
      This would be a good set for next season

MacAllister
      Mount
      Gravenburch
      Fabinho
      Henderson
      Bajectic
      Jones
      Elliot
      Milner

Then season after

Replace Milner and Fabinho
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #676: Apr 16, 2023 08:00:42 pm
      This would be a good set for next season

MacAllister
      Mount
      Gravenburch
      Fabinho
      Henderson
      Bajectic
      Jones
      Elliot
      Milner

Then season after

Replace Milner and Fabinho
      You sell Thiago?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #677: Apr 16, 2023 08:04:47 pm

Knew I forgot someone

Next season will be his last for us
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #678: Apr 16, 2023 10:01:05 pm
      City got Haaland off them at a steal.
      Can't see them making that mistake again.

How there isn’t a huge uproar and investigation into the 60M Haaland fee is beyond me.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #679: Apr 16, 2023 11:27:38 pm
      Knew I forgot someone

Next season will be his last for us
      ;D,  yeah. Selling him is an option, as you don't lose him for free. But with 3 bodies coming in you hope you can manage his minutes better and use him as the luxury that he is. He will be ideal if he can play once a week and come off the bench for a lot of that time (case and point, last Sunday).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #680: Apr 17, 2023 09:43:21 am
      ;D,  yeah. Selling him is an option, as you don't lose him for free. But with 3 bodies coming in you hope you can manage his minutes better and use him as the luxury that he is. He will be ideal if he can play once a week and come off the bench for a lot of that time (case and point, last Sunday).

Yep.

You definitely keep Thiago of we get 2/3 young CM in to add legs.

He's something we can't replicate within the squad.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #681: Apr 17, 2023 10:31:32 am
      How there isn’t a huge uproar and investigation into the 60M Haaland fee is beyond me.

I'm sure dortmund will get a good deal if they resign gundogan.

Haaland also earns best part of 1m per week.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #682: Apr 17, 2023 10:35:33 am

He had a release clause
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #683: Apr 30, 2023 10:55:26 pm
      What’s the consensus on Trent….will he keep playing the inverted fullback or will Klopp ultimately move him to midfield full time? And if so, hat midfield position does he occupy? Don’t know that his defensive capabilities are such that he could occupy a Fab type role. Would he play more centrally as an attacking mid? And if he does make a full time move, how does that affect who we look to bring in this summer? Does that negate the need to bring in 2 mids and leave us needing just one and the another RB? Feel like this new role has given us a little boost but does it then create some other squad conundrums for us?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #684: Apr 30, 2023 11:03:00 pm
      What’s the consensus on Trent….will he keep playing the inverted fullback or will Klopp ultimately move him to midfield full time? And if so, hat midfield position does he occupy? Don’t know that his defensive capabilities are such that he could occupy a Fab type role. Would he play more centrally as an attacking mid? And if he does make a full time move, how does that affect who we look to bring in this summer? Does that negate the need to bring in 2 mids and leave us needing just one and the another RB? Feel like this new role has given us a little boost but does it then create some other squad conundrums for us?

He could play the same role as Thiago but with more vertical passing ability. Would mean we need a more dynamic DM than Fabinho though.

Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #685: Apr 30, 2023 11:11:28 pm
      I like Nunez but why did we buy him ? He obviously cannot start in fully fit attack and Gakpo suits Klopp playstyle more. I don't know man but I wish we bought Gakpo in the summer alongside a midfilder. Our attacking depth with Jota/Gakpo/Diaz/Salah/Firmino is more than enough.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #686: Apr 30, 2023 11:28:37 pm

I'd like to see him playing central midfield, more as an 8 than as a 6, but of course these roles are not really set in stone. There are a lot of nuances. I imagine Jürgen will give both Bradley and Ramsay the opportunity to win the right back job in preseason, and you could still see another right back brought in.

As far as midfielders go, the biggest question to me is whether Fabinho will be moved on. He's been better the past month or so, but still is short of where he was, but he should still have some sell-on value. Henderson will still be in the squad. Bajcetic will be back. Curtis Jones seems to have reclaimed his future with the team. Harvey Elliott will be part of things. Thiago is still here, but to me at least one top midfielder needs to be purchased, along with a center back and maybe a right back. These are players ready for the first Xi rather than any teenagers being bought (not that we won't do some more of that, just that these won't be the first options for the starting XI).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #687: Apr 30, 2023 11:28:49 pm
      I like Nunez but why did we buy him ? He obviously cannot start in fully fit attack and Gakpo suits Klopp playstyle more. I don't know man but I wish we bought Gakpo in the summer alongside a midfilder. Our attacking depth with Jota/Gakpo/Diaz/Salah/Firmino is more than enough.

I'm sure you may have heard that Bobby is leaving
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #688: May 01, 2023 10:26:30 am

I don't see the inverted full back being a long term solution. It just leaves us too exposed and puts pressure on us to score 3 or 4 regularly to win matches. 5 goals conceded at home in a week doesn't bode well and West Ham could have had more midweek had they used Benrahma better.

To me the options are either move Trent properly into midfield - in which case we need to sign a right back but it would still need a tweak from the classic Klopp 4-3-3 which had two workhorses in midfield covering the wing backs. If we want Trent in midfield we don't want him doing a 'Gini role' so things would have to change - use him like City use De Bruyne maybe. If we're not going down that route then Trent needs to back at RB permanently and we need to sign midfielders that are quick, mobile so our full backs can go flying up like they used to.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #689: May 01, 2023 03:01:02 pm
      I don't see the inverted full back being a long term solution. It just leaves us too exposed and puts pressure on us to score 3 or 4 regularly to win matches. 5 goals conceded at home in a week doesn't bode well and West Ham could have had more midweek had they used Benrahma better.

To me the options are either move Trent properly into midfield - in which case we need to sign a right back but it would still need a tweak from the classic Klopp 4-3-3 which had two workhorses in midfield covering the wing backs. If we want Trent in midfield we don't want him doing a 'Gini role' so things would have to change - use him like City use De Bruyne maybe. If we're not going down that route then Trent needs to back at RB permanently and we need to sign midfielders that are quick, mobile so our full backs can go flying up like they used to.

I wonder if Trent fancies a return to his standard RB role? He certainly seems like he's playing with more joy right now. Something tells me he fancies himself an attacker over a defender. Although maybe it's just bias, but he did seem to do better defensively effort wise yesterday. I saw him actually leg it to make some runs back to help cover the hole he created.

Quick Reply