Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 54737 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #690: May 01, 2023 07:08:47 pm
      Dortmund won't allow that, they thrive on selling stars for huge sums and then developing new ones. That's literally their model.

But if heā€™s got a contract they canā€™t force him to go anywhere 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø simple.
      He and his dad will clearly decide when and where.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #691: May 01, 2023 07:12:41 pm
      But if heā€™s got a contract they canā€™t force him to go anywhere 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø simple.
      He and his dad will clearly decide when and where.

Last bit is the key part

Bellingham seems a level person and wants to decide where he goes , if it is to us then I think he will wait and look to sign a contract that includes a reachable clause
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #692: May 02, 2023 08:35:21 am
      You only realise how disappointing Thiago has been offensively when you consider how Trent has been playing in the midfield hydrid role.

Thiago has such ability on the ball, so much passing range yet when was the last time he played a killer forward pass.

Itā€™s all sideways or backwards and even when it is forward itā€™s not a defence splitting pass.
      We all thought he was going to be the answer to our issues with low block teams.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #693: May 05, 2023 09:29:44 am
      So if we replace

Ox , Keita and Milner with

Mac Alister , Mount and Gravenburch

Would that give us a more dynamic energetic midfield

All three appear to the stereotypical Klopp midfielders as well
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #694: May 05, 2023 09:41:42 am
      So if we replace

Ox , Keita and Milner with

Mac Alister , Mount and Gravenburch

Would that give us a more dynamic energetic midfield

All three appear to the stereotypical Klopp midfielders as well

Ones thing for sure, itā€™s significantly better that your current crop of OAP   ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #695: Aug 01, 2023 11:23:27 am
      Potentially looks like this then going into the season, presuming on Lavia.

Thiago
      MacAllister
      Szoboszlai
      Jones
      Lavia
      Elliott
      Bacjetic

Remains to be seen what the club had planned for Clarke and the other kids.

Add Trent either steeping in or starting and that's around 8.

On the face of it seems maybe one light but we could see Gakpo play deeper ok games as well:

Trent     Lavia

MacAllister     Gakpo

It's enough and definitely more quality and legs than last season and we as a club are notorious for taking a risk so I think we'll be done in midfield after Lavia
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #696: Aug 01, 2023 02:19:55 pm
      Potentially looks like this then going into the season, presuming on Lavia.

Thiago
      MacAllister
      Szoboszlai
      Jones
      Lavia
      Elliott
      Bacjetic

Remains to be seen what the club had planned for Clarke and the other kids.

Add Trent either steeping in or starting and that's around 8.

On the face of it seems maybe one light but we could see Gakpo play deeper ok games as well:

Trent     Lavia

MacAllister     Gakpo

It's enough and definitely more quality and legs than last season and we as a club are notorious for taking a risk so I think we'll be done in midfield after Lavia

That list seems quite light if you factor in we don't know how much we'll get out of Thiago and Elliot really isn't a true midfielder. Bacjetic coming off of injury (which may have come from playing so many games out of necessity) so who knows how he's recovery will come along. Right now it's Mac, Dom and Jones starting against Chelsea for me. I'd be lying if I said that I was 100% confident that was the best we could hope for. The two new lads I'm pretty good with, but honestly, I thought we'd have a revived Fab as the 6 but not we don't and who knows what we are going to get there. Lavia is not a foregone conclusion the way that saga is dragging on.

I was pretty content last summer with our midfield options and that turned into a dumpster fire. We have less to choose from now so I can't say that I have the same optimism. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #697: Aug 01, 2023 02:45:39 pm
      I'm of the opinion that we need two number 6. It's clear for anybody that watched even 20 minutes of those preseason games that our midfield is still non existent defensively speaking. Great that we got Mac and Szobo and they will definitely help us when we have the ball at our feet and will help win the ball high up front, but without a proper DM this going to be another season of asking our CBs to press high upfront only to watch our midfield get bypassed through the middle and VVD and Konate being thrown into unreasonable sprint all game rather than defending with their face to the opponent.

None of the players we currently have can naturally play that 6 role other than maybe Bajcetic who is still injured, there's no timeline on when he'll be back, he hasn't had a preseason and on top of all of that, he played the 6 role last year and was quickly moved to the RCM position where he looked much better which implies that CDM is no the ideal way to use him.

Therefore, we need a DM of quality to cover most of the minutes + cover for that DM.  Our DM situation before this summer was that Fabinho would start, Hendo would cover when needed and Milner would take the odd minutes in that position when we needed him to for a reason or the other. All 3 of those players left yet here we are a 2 weeks before game day 1 focusing on Lavia and only Lavia all while negotiating with Southampton like we somehow are making them a favour.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #698: Aug 02, 2023 10:51:04 am
      I'm of the opinion that we need two number 6. It's clear for anybody that watched even 20 minutes of those preseason games that our midfield is still non existent defensively speaking. Great that we got Mac and Szobo and they will definitely help us when we have the ball at our feet and will help win the ball high up front, but without a proper DM this going to be another season of asking our CBs to press high upfront only to watch our midfield get bypassed through the middle and VVD and Konate being thrown into unreasonable sprint all game rather than defending with their face to the opponent.

None of the players we currently have can naturally play that 6 role other than maybe Bajcetic who is still injured, there's no timeline on when he'll be back, he hasn't had a preseason and on top of all of that, he played the 6 role last year and was quickly moved to the RCM position where he looked much better which implies that CDM is no the ideal way to use him.

Therefore, we need a DM of quality to cover most of the minutes + cover for that DM.  Our DM situation before this summer was that Fabinho would start, Hendo would cover when needed and Milner would take the odd minutes in that position when we needed him to for a reason or the other. All 3 of those players left yet here we are a 2 weeks before game day 1 focusing on Lavia and only Lavia all while negotiating with Southampton like we somehow are making them a favour.

I completely agree mate. We need two more. As things stand we will ship goals much like last season.

The lack of urgency to replace Hendo and Fab has surprised me. Iā€™d be surprised if Klopp isnā€™t frustrated. The Lavia negotiations are farcical, the waiting between bids (how does it take more than a week to go back with a 2nd bid??) is ridiculous.

Amateur hour as far as Iā€™m concerned.

Klopp has made some comments this morning to distance us from any title challenge. Canā€™t recall him ever doing that before but it is telling. This is a crucial season for us. Turn in another poor season and our top players may well be looking for moves elsewhere and then weā€™re catapulted into full rebuild mode.

They need to back the manager. Sort the midfield and perhaps we can have another run at the league this season. Stop haggling over 3-4 million quid and bring in a couple of quality signings.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #699: Aug 02, 2023 12:32:27 pm
      I completely agree mate. We need two more. As things stand we will ship goals much like last season.

The lack of urgency to replace Hendo and Fab has surprised me. Iā€™d be surprised if Klopp isnā€™t frustrated. The Lavia negotiations are farcical, the waiting between bids (how does it take more than a week to go back with a 2nd bid??) is ridiculous.

Amateur hour as far as Iā€™m concerned.

Klopp has made some comments this morning to distance us from any title challenge. Canā€™t recall him ever doing that before but it is telling. This is a crucial season for us. Turn in another poor season and our top players may well be looking for moves elsewhere and then weā€™re catapulted into full rebuild mode.

They need to back the manager. Sort the midfield and perhaps we can have another run at the league this season. Stop haggling over 3-4 million quid and bring in a couple of quality signings.
      Its precisely that lack of urgency that is frustrating. I understand you don't go to the other club and tell them ''hey we're really tight on time here please give us a good price''. However, like you mentioned, why are we waiting about a week between each bid?. Move the whole thing faster just so you know if the other club is not going to budge so we can move on to other targets instead letting 2 crucial preseason weeks go down the drain.

What is disheartening is the fact that, like we said, we need two DMs yet we are struggling to make it work for one. It literally took two weeks for them to sell Fabinho and the word before Fabinho was ever on the selling block was that we need Lavia to come in as back up for Fabinho. In those two weeks you didn't have time to identify a second DM target and open talks if not finish a deal? I know I am assuming things, but it doesn't look like we'll get 2 DMs.

I am not an FSG basher and spent many of my time on this forum fighting with people who spend their time blaming FSG for everything, but this amateurish. A couple of seasons ago we went into the season with an incomplete backline and we had the fella from the Championship on the last day of the January window fiasco happen. Last season we went into the season with an incomplete midfield and we had the Melo fiasco followed by the crap we witnessed. Yet here we are, less than two weeks before the first game, with an incomplete midfield and we're moving slow and towards what seem like only 1 midfielder when we need two. Can we start one season with a full team? Amateurish
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #700: Aug 02, 2023 04:29:38 pm
      As I have said in the preseason thread with these tactics of Trent vacating the RB spot and Robbo still bombing forward we could bring a world class CB and DM but it wonā€™t be enough we are too open to a simple punt or pass through the middle of the park.

Klopp and Lijinders needs to be more pragmatic and if they are looking at the way City are playing they in effect play with 4 CBā€™s with Stones stepping into midfield and can quite easily step back into the CB position, we are asking Trent to do the impossible itā€™s just too much space to cover.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #701: Aug 02, 2023 06:43:59 pm
      As I have said in the preseason thread with these tactics of Trent vacating the RB spot and Robbo still bombing forward we could bring a world class CB and DM but it wonā€™t be enough we are too open to a simple punt or pass through the middle of the park.

Klopp and Lijinders needs to be more pragmatic and if they are looking at the way City are playing they in effect play with 4 CBā€™s with Stones stepping into midfield and can quite easily step back into the CB position, we are asking Trent to do the impossible itā€™s just too much space to cover.

You could argue a LCB is a more pressing need than another CM after Lavia should we get him.

The system would work a lot better if we didn't have the left sided defender still playing as if he's an attacking full back.

Not blaming Robbo as that's his game but surely you would have thought if we were going this way a new CB would have been higher in our shopping list?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #702: Aug 02, 2023 07:30:41 pm
      You could argue a LCB is a more pressing need than another CM after Lavia should we get him.

The system would work a lot better if we didn't have the left sided defender still playing as if he's an attacking full back.

Not blaming Robbo as that's his game but surely you would have thought if we were going this way a new CB would have been higher in our shopping list?

If we are only getting two more players, for me it has to be Lavia and CB.

Anything after that is gravy to me.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #703: Aug 02, 2023 08:20:09 pm
      If we are only getting two more players, for me it has to be Lavia and CB.

Anything after that is gravy to me.

Next season the thread will be malfunctioning defence
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #704: Aug 02, 2023 09:24:16 pm
      The prospect of Jones starting as the 6 against Chelsea next weekend is absolutely frightening to me. Can't win a title in the first few weeks but with this City side around you can certainly lose one and it's hard to see how we don't get picked apart by any decent side with our current midfield.

We should have signed a DM around the time Fabinho made it clear he was off and given him a few weeks to settle in but somehow we've found ourselves in this mess.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #705: Aug 02, 2023 09:44:24 pm
      The prospect of Jones starting as the 6 against Chelsea next weekend is absolutely frightening to me. Can't win a title in the first few weeks but with this City side around you can certainly lose one and it's hard to see how we don't get picked apart by any decent side with our current midfield.

We should have signed a DM around the time Fabinho made it clear he was off and given him a few weeks to settle in but somehow we've found ourselves in this mess.

Itā€™s just a mess all aroundā€¦

One injury and itā€™s eliott in the team and after that we have baj who I donā€™t think is even fit ?

Itā€™s ridiculous we are in the same poor position as last season

We havenā€™t fixed our weakness in defence either, everyone can see it like it was the year with 3 cb or last year with the midfield

We have to be more proactive to improve the team when itā€™s so obvious, just wish we had the funds or the owners would make a one season investment

Wouldnā€™t surprise me if the majority of the funds left over have gone to pay off the loan we owe them instead
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #706: Aug 02, 2023 10:07:09 pm

What f***in mess ? F**k sake not as if weā€™re playing a shed load of kids ffs, Lavia will come in , thatā€™s one problem solved, may even see another come in before the window shuts,

We all know JĆ¼rgen likes new blokes in early but thatā€™s not always possible, thereā€™s too much negativity in these boards, have a bit more faith, weā€™re bang on up top, weā€™ve added fresher younger legs in midfield, we have players coming back from injury a lot fresher, we have a newish system that will make us difficult to handle, we have young lads chompin at the bit, we have further additions imminent, and we have a new Captain, a new vice captain and about a million other positive things going on,

Sounds like some of you are ready to chuck the f***in towel in and we havenā€™t kicked a ball in anger yet, I canā€™t be the only f**ker excited by the changes made this summer, f***in hell even JĆ¼rgen is excited, you can here it in his voice,

Honestly, never known such negative vibes on the cusp of a new campaign, has the toxicity seeped across Stanley park from that fu**ed up club thatā€™s Championship bound , f***in sounds like it ??

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #707: Aug 02, 2023 10:14:38 pm
      Itā€™s just a mess all aroundā€¦

One injury and itā€™s eliott in the team and after that we have baj who I donā€™t think is even fit ?

Itā€™s ridiculous we are in the same poor position as last season

We havenā€™t fixed our weakness in defence either, everyone can see it like it was the year with 3 cb or last year with the midfield

We have to be more proactive to improve the team when itā€™s so obvious, just wish we had the funds or the owners would make a one season investment

Wouldnā€™t surprise me if the majority of the funds left over have gone to pay off the loan we owe them instead

Yes itā€™s all f***in doom and f***in gloom isnā€™t it, may as well not f***in bother, youā€™re another with F**k all faith, how ironic that your avatar mentions Faith when you have F**k all to keep !!!
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #708: Aug 02, 2023 10:25:13 pm

Yes itā€™s all f***in doom and f***in gloom isnā€™t it, may as well not f***in bother, youā€™re another with F**k all faith, how ironic that your avatar mentions Faith when you have F**k all to keep !!!
      Go wash your mouth with soap young man 🤦🏾 Jesus would be ashamed of you
      I do have faith we may fix the issue

Now all I see you do here is throw f bomb after f bomb, Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s how you were raised but itā€™s tedious
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #709: Aug 02, 2023 10:53:41 pm
      Go wash your mouth with soap young man 🤦🏾 Jesus would be ashamed of you
      I do have faith we may fix the issue

Now all I see you do here is throw f bomb after f bomb, Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s how you were raised but itā€™s tedious

Well F**k off and F**k Jesus another figment of youā€™re warped imagination gobs***e !!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #710: Aug 03, 2023 01:09:10 am
      Next season the thread will be malfunctioning defence

Was gonna come in here and say the exact same.

Last Season, we needed to get new Forwards and we did.

This season it's the MF's turn and we got a couple but shipped out, what 5/6?

Next season will be the Defenses turn for an over haul.

For me Defense is the problem

Trent is just no RB, the minute the ball is played down that side, I sh*t myself he's gonna get skinned.

We have Ibou who I adore, reckon he's great for the Team morale going by his latest videos, but he sometimes seems a wee bit shaky to me.

Gomez, I haven't had faith in, in the last 2 years

Matip, one of the best frees ever but sometimes feel he runs around like a headless chicken, all over the shop.

Ali our Superstar, who I F***ing love and have no problems with whatsoever.

Virg our new Captain, who I am hoping sees the new gig as Captain, as a rejuvenation but still noticed him in yesterdays games, twice running backwards with his hands behind his back, whilst the player was attacking us.

Robbo, I love but gets caught up the pitch so many times on the counter, but I don't mind that on that side, coz at least I can see Virg being able to cover.

and finally Tsimikas who I think is the perfect Number 2 to Robbo.

This is all my opinion of course and it probably means sh*t to a lot of you but I don't see us winning anything with that defense.

We just ship too many goals.

Feel it's gonna be one of those seasons where our game plan is just go hell for leather and whatever they score, we have to better.

Great for the neutral and exciting, but F**k me, not sure my 52 year old heart can take that for a whole season.

So a RB and a CB for me please JWH.  2 weeks to get it sorted and whilst you are at it, get a new DM please!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #711: Aug 03, 2023 08:53:51 am

What f***in mess ? F**k sake not as if weā€™re playing a shed load of kids ffs, Lavia will come in , thatā€™s one problem solved, may even see another come in before the window shuts,

We all know JĆ¼rgen likes new blokes in early but thatā€™s not always possible, thereā€™s too much negativity in these boards, have a bit more faith, weā€™re bang on up top, weā€™ve added fresher younger legs in midfield, we have players coming back from injury a lot fresher, we have a newish system that will make us difficult to handle, we have young lads chompin at the bit, we have further additions imminent, and we have a new Captain, a new vice captain and about a million other positive things going on,

Sounds like some of you are ready to chuck the f***in towel in and we havenā€™t kicked a ball in anger yet, I canā€™t be the only f**ker excited by the changes made this summer, f***in hell even JĆ¼rgen is excited, you can here it in his voice,

Honestly, never known such negative vibes on the cusp of a new campaign, has the toxicity seeped across Stanley park from that fu**ed up club thatā€™s Championship bound , f***in sounds like it ??

YNWA

so do you think we are ready for the start of the season to challenge from Day 1 because I don't. Realism isnt negativity its just looking around what is going on elsewhere and realising we were already playing catch up before Fab and Hendo fu**ed off and seeing the goals Bayern scored looked very much like the goals we conceded last season and going into this season seems defensively we are still weak.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #712: Aug 03, 2023 09:02:50 am

Well F**k off and F**k Jesus another figment of youā€™re warped imagination gobs***e !!

If Jesus was real (and she is not) they would be turning in their graves at how many meltdowns there are on footi forums before the season even kicks off.  :lmao: :mad: :lmao: :mad:

Quick Reply