Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Simon Mignolet
      7 (6.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (1.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (1.9%)
      Emre Can
      2 (1.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      17 (16.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      57 (55.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      10 (9.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      6 (5.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: Sep 27, 2017 07:32:08 pm

Leicester City 2-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32436 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Re: Leicester City 2-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Sep 23, 2017 09:50:32 pm
      That explains a lot of your opinions then.

:lmao:

You don't read much do you? Not given any opinion.  I've simply stated that I've heard Sturridge had a fantastic game.

Was that not true then? Please tell me...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #530: Sep 23, 2017 09:50:43 pm
      i have a question for u guys.

who do u think was at fault for Vardy's goal?

Was it:
      1. Gomez for not tackling the winger who crossed?
      2. Salah for not helping Gomez defend, causing hendo to come across in a last ditch effort?
      3. Moreno for not covering Gray quick enough
      4. Lovern for not marking the striker, causing Matip to move out of position?
      5. Matip for leaving Vardy open?
      6. Gini for not defending at all?
      7. All of the above

Gomez would have conceded a foul if he'd tried to tackle him.
      Henderson probably should haven't lunged, carried on running and tried to block/shepherd him towards the corner flag
      Don't think Moreno was at fault - he was marking the fella in the middle.
      Lovren wasn't marking anyone - hence Moreno having to cover.
      Not sure Matip knew Vardy was there - he was going to try and mark their number 20.

You forgot to mention Mignolet.  His save was a nothing save - took all the sting out of it and put it into arguably the most dangerous place in the area.  The fella hardly smashed that shot - he should have done much better with it IMO.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #531: Sep 23, 2017 09:54:03 pm
      Migs awfull today wonder how good Ward is

He was good and bad in equal measures. We came under a lot of pressure and he made some great saves but he should not dash out into a crowded area. They got at us thru the middle and from wide positions. Mig had plenty of work come his way...he didn't really get his day in. I think he needs to make very careful decisions about coming out to punch clear. He's wafted to a good few lately.

DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #532: Sep 23, 2017 09:55:35 pm
      Thought Sturridge looked very sharp today

Whisper it quietly.

FMS won't like to hear that at all. He's in denial.  :laugh:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #533: Sep 23, 2017 09:55:36 pm
      My ratings:

Migs: At times calamitous, but did make a couple of good saves. My hunch is he spends a lot of time studying the penalties because not for the first time he looked as if he had a good read on where it was going. That was a good save, but the piece of play where he actually gave the penalty away was laughable. 5/10

Gomez: Looked like exactly what he is, a young fella learning his trade. Fortunately wasn't overly tested and did OK, but how he'd cope with marking someone who was a bit tasty I'd dread to think. 6/10

Matip: Was very good save for a wonky spell in the middle of the second half. I wouldn't blame him for the free kick which led to the goal as I thought Vardy bought it. Did though lose him for his goal, and before that got caught out of position a couple lf times. I can't decide with Matip whether or not he's becoming nervous because of the sh!t show he's surrounded by, or if he's culpable himself. Certainly nowhere near so good as many on here rate him IMHO, but definitely our most reliable centre back regardless. Like I say apart form that wonky spell, did well. 7/10

Lovren: Unusual for him today in that he defended pretty well but just seemed to go to pieces with the ball at his feet. I know he'll get the blame on here for all our woes, but one of his better games today. 6.5/10

Moreno: Putting aside the fact that he annoys me intensely with his diving and screaming every time anyone goes near him, did fairly well. 6/10

Henderson: A fine game form the captain capped off with a well taken goal. Looked to me to be providing leadership too, out of those who played the full game he was MOM. 8/10.

Can: A bit in and out, his best moment obviously the shot. I can't understand why he doesn't shoot more realy, he has a good dig on him and good technique. One or two moments of silliness though defensively. 6.5/10

Wijnaldum: A bit quiet. I know he does a lot of "unseen" work, but often it doesn't amount to much. That was the case today. 5.5/10

Salah: Looks like we've picked up a bit of a player here. Yes his feet work quicker than his brain sometimes but he still makes things happen and is scoring very heavily for a wide player. A very good TC buy, and that's coming from me who would disband the f****** thing tomorrow if I had my way. 7.5/10

Firmino: Another Dr Griffin performance I'm afraid, on days like today we are carrying him. 5/10

Coutinho: Showed why Barcelona want him and lit up the game until he tired. Obviously the best player on the park, we will lose him but I for one will savour him while he wears a red shirt. 9/10

Subs.

Sturridge: Pure class when he came on, had more of an impact in 20 minutes than the guy he replaced had in the previous 70. 8/10.

Milner: A sensible solution to the problem of us getting overrun. Got on with it and did well. 7/10.

Just a few things Mick:

Henderson MoM with a lower score than Coutinho, Sturridge with the same score as the MoM after playing just 20 minutes. Salah a TC signing?! Really, you're peddling that rubbish?

Moreno lower than Lovren, Moreno had a fine game, Lovren was not only poor at passing but I can think of 2 offside problems he caused completely on his own and one of the headers he did gave them a glorious chance. This header was a 3 or 4 yard layoff type header that was shambolic. Moreno and Coutinho linked brilliantly and Alby dealt with almost everything on his side and recovered really well, think you're being very harsh on the little Spaniard there.

Not having any of that personally.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #534: Sep 23, 2017 09:58:00 pm

You forgot to mention Mignolet.  His save was a nothing save - took all the sting out of it and put it into arguably the most dangerous place in the area.  The fella hardly smashed that shot - he should have done much better with it IMO.

Right, so not only should he have saved it, but he should have saved it better than he saved it... that's a minus point for Mignolet then.

I mean, BBC reporter put it down to Mignolet having studied it out and predicted where Vardy was going to put it, but, nah, it was probably just an appalling penalty by Vardy. The type that even Karius could save.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #535: Sep 23, 2017 09:59:02 pm
      It's always an "all of the above" mate for me. Matip though did lose Vardy which I was a bit disappointed with.

it looked like Matip tried to pick up Okazaki cause Lovren left him open, but by doing that left Vardy open. I feel like Lovren is more at fault at this particular point as he's literally just standing there not covering anyone
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #536: Sep 23, 2017 10:00:43 pm
      We had plenty of opportunities down the left thru the game. I thought Klopp would of started with Robbo and Sturridge. Moreno hasn't done badly, but I think Robbo offers a bit more.

Sturridge is a goal scorer, he might be greedy but he can sniff them out or he can score the great solo goal. The attack needs more focus, definition. We swamp teams but there is no focus. We need a 20+ striker..like him or loath him..Sturridge is the closest we have to that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #537: Sep 23, 2017 10:00:47 pm
      :lmao:

You don't read much do you? Not given any opinion.  I've simply stated that I've heard Sturridge had a fantastic game.

Was that not true then? Please tell me...

No, you're right on Sturridge but even then a stopped clock is right twice a day.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #538: Sep 23, 2017 10:01:59 pm
      Gomez would have conceded a foul if he'd tried to tackle him.
      Henderson probably should haven't lunged, carried on running and tried to block/shepherd him towards the corner flag
      Don't think Moreno was at fault - he was marking the fella in the middle.
      Lovren wasn't marking anyone - hence Moreno having to cover.
      Not sure Matip knew Vardy was there - he was going to try and mark their number 20.

I think Matip played the odds. Lovren left Okazaki open so he tried to cover him. Migs unfortunately parried to Vardy who was left wide open.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #539: Sep 23, 2017 10:04:39 pm
      Just a few things Mick:

Henderson MoM with a lower score than Coutinho, Sturridge with the same score as the MoM after playing just 20 minutes. Salah a TC signing?! Really, you're peddling that rubbish?

Moreno lower than Lovren, Moreno had a fine game, Lovren was not only poor at passing but I can think of 2 offside problems he caused completely on his own and one of the headers he did gave them a glorious chance. This header was a 3 or 4 yard layoff type header that was shambolic. Moreno and Coutinho linked brilliantly and Alby dealt with almost everything on his side and recovered really well, think you're being very harsh on the little Spaniard there.

Not having any of that personally.

Well I did say Henderson was MOM of the players which completed the game, Coutinho didn't. Also, I think the introduction of Sturridge turned the game in our favour, we were floundering before he came on and he put the goal on a plate for Hendo. I thought he was excellent.

As for your observations on the defence and you "not having any of it", we'll have to disagree then ;D.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #540: Sep 23, 2017 10:04:53 pm
      It's always an "all of the above" mate for me. Matip though did lose Vardy which I was a bit disappointed with.

If its all of the above, would VVD really make a difference? We have to defend better as a team + cut out individual errors.

I wonder if our Formation makes us vulnerable or if we, 'in general' dont work hard enough at defending.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #541: Sep 23, 2017 10:05:50 pm
      We had plenty of opportunities down the left thru the game. I thought Klopp would of started with Robbo and Sturridge. Moreno hasn't done badly, but I think Robbo offers a bit more.

Sturridge is a goal scorer, he might be greedy but he can sniff them out or he can score the great solo goal. The attack needs more focus, definition. We swamp teams but there is no focus. We need a 20+ striker..like him or loath him..Sturridge is the closest we have to that.

Think we've got one in salah mate I reckon he will score 20 this year. We could maybe do with a poacher though.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #542: Sep 23, 2017 10:08:10 pm
      No, you're right on Sturridge but even then a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Ah, right. Really? Thanks.

So perhaps you can be man enough to clarify that there is nothing wrong with the comment I made then? You know, the comment you mocked and got a good ole +1 from one of your buddies.

That explains a lot of your opinions then.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,817 posts | 471 
      Reply #543: Sep 23, 2017 10:11:48 pm
      Let me ask everyone’s opinion, I also thought Sturridge was very sharp coming on as a substitute. Do you think now that is his best option? Super Sub ?
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #544: Sep 23, 2017 10:12:15 pm
      Well I did say Henderson was MOM of the players which completed the game, Coutinho didn't. Also, I think the introduction of Sturridge turned the game in our favour, we were floundering before he came on and he put the goal on a plate for Hendo. I thought he was excellent.

As for your observations on the defence and you "not having any of it", we'll have to disagree then ;D.

I didn't have Hendo on any more than 6.. he took the goal well but it wasn't difficult. He doesn't always take up good positions to get it from the back 4 and as a result we don't get it forward quick enough. And Lovren passes it poorly, he needs Hendo to be there, if not Lovren passes us up a back alley and we lose possession.

Hendo always has his critics, today he wasn't off blob...but he didn't impose himself either.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #545: Sep 23, 2017 10:16:06 pm
      Let me ask everyone’s opinion, I also thought Sturridge was very sharp coming on as a substitute. Do you think now that is his best option? Super Sub ?

No..he has to start to get fit as much as anything and his natural goalscoring will pay off from the start. We often swamp teams in the first half and that's when Sturridge would have better chances. There is the school of thought that he will do better against a tiring defense but he should be given more chances from the off.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #546: Sep 23, 2017 10:21:37 pm
      Think we've got one in salah mate I reckon he will score 20 this year. We could maybe do with a poacher though.

From the wing...maybe 15 and that would be fantastic. But I think our attack lacks a bit of focus. Klopp seems to be a big Firmino fan and plays him when it wouldn't do any harm to rest him and give Sturridge a run.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #547: Sep 23, 2017 10:22:01 pm
      No..he has to start to get fit as much as anything and his natural goalscoring will pay off from the start. We often swamp teams in the first half and that's when Sturridge would have better chances. There is the school of thought that he will do better against a tiring defense but he should be given more chances from the off.

Exactly. How is he going to show what he can do as a "starter" if he doesn't start games? Sure enough, he made his single start against Burnley. Amazingly, Klopp even gave him a full match.

He didn't score - but - neither did his teammates. Plus, one should expect him to be a bit rusty or not up to speed with things as he has hardly had any time playing with the team. The lad needs game time. Proper game time. From the start.

I'm hearing Firmino was poor (and on the highlights he wasted really good chances), but sure enough, he'll start again regardless. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #548: Sep 23, 2017 10:25:28 pm
      i have a question for u guys.

who do u think was at fault for Vardy's goal?

Was it:
      1. Gomez for not tackling the winger who crossed?
      2. Salah for not helping Gomez defend, causing hendo to come across in a last ditch effort?
      3. Moreno for not covering Gray quick enough
      4. Lovern for not marking the striker, causing Matip to move out of position?
      5. Matip for leaving Vardy open?
      6. Gini for not defending at all?
      7. All of the above

8. Migs for parrying a soft shot straight into the danger zone.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #549: Sep 23, 2017 10:26:03 pm

For me he should start. But either way he should be at liverpool
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #550: Sep 23, 2017 10:27:37 pm
      shithouse team to play with a cheating little tw*t up front.
      shithouse officials who gave us f**k all -  even plucking extra minutes out of thin air to add on.
      shithouse commentry (I had to listen to those f**king idiots Beglin and Townsend)

but we got the 3 points we needed.
      very important result that today.

We became sloppy though second half and allowed them back into it.
      too much heading tennis and high balls we lost early second half allowed them back into it.
      I didn't think it was possible but I actually hate Vardy even more now after that performance.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #551: Sep 23, 2017 10:34:50 pm
      Just for those that thought Moreno had anything less than an excellent game, here are his stats:

Defending:

5 Clearances
      1 Blocked Shot
      2 Interceptions
      2 Tackles

Passing:

78%
      3 Key passes

Tackling:

9 duels 5 won
      Dispossessed 0 times
      Was fouled 2 times

Anyone thinking that performance by Alby was even close to below average are doing the lad a complete disservice. As is said so many times, credit where it's due, the lad is putting in a great run of performances and he capped it off today with giving Vardy a proper mouthful after the dirty little c**t went in studs up for a ball he had no right and no chance of winning. That alone scores you points in my book.

Well in Alby!

Quick Reply