Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spartak?

Loris Karius
      1 (1.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      9 (10.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.2%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      10 (11.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      27 (31.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      28 (32.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      4 (4.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (4.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: Sep 30, 2017 09:44:55 pm

Spartak Moscow 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29218 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Spartak Moscow 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Sep 27, 2017 09:23:46 pm

All Klopp is doing by rotating not just two but three keepers is to make an all ready shakey defence worse

I disagree with that. There was no guarantee we'd be playing the same defence in the domestic cups as the league or Europe. Rotation isn't the problem, personnel not being good enough to handle the difficult style of play he wants, is.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #714: Sep 27, 2017 09:25:50 pm

All Klopp is doing by rotating not just two but three keepers is to make an all ready shakey defence worse

Or he isn't sure who our best keeper is and Giving all of them a fair chance.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #715: Sep 27, 2017 10:29:00 pm
      Seeing the Mancs today score 4 goals with ease. They had the same chances as we did yesterday (maybe less), and their opponents played better than Spartak! Whatever we say about spending £75 million on Lukaku, they identified their problem last year (not killing games off), and hes looking a bargain. 10 goals in 9.

I dont understand our keepers, are they all just rubbish? Why does nearly every shot go in? Are the shots good unsaveable shots, or just poorly conceded via individual mistakes so it gives the keeper no chance.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #716: Sep 27, 2017 10:51:53 pm
      Whatever we say about spending £75 million on Lukaku, they identified their problem last year (not killing games off), and hes looking a bargain. 10 goals in 9.

Does help the manager when money is actually spent instead of issuing apologies and empty statements on having the money to compete with anyone.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #717: Sep 28, 2017 03:13:06 am
      That's just it mate, all the negativity yet we're close to absolutely smashing teams all the time. It will click, there's no doubt about it, the thing that's stopping them is confidence right now imo.

They've took a few difficult results and they've taken a lot of criticism and the lads look a little bit nervy in front of goal right now, I'd just say to people to get behind them because when they're playing as well as that and absolutely destroying a team if it's just the clinical nature of your finishes that is lacking then realistically that's one of the easiest things to fix.

Creating the chances and dominating the possession is far harder and for more a barometer for how the team is really playing.

As you say, we'll smash someone soon and then we'll smash someone else because the lift and the belief that will give will release a lot of the pressure I think these lads feel right now.

Amen Brother, could be Newcastle could be Maribor but I hope it's those Manc cu*ts!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6690 
      Reply #718: Sep 28, 2017 03:15:28 am
      I think the idea was to keep Karius for CL, Migs for the league games and Ward for League cup games, now of course we're out of that he may have Danny in for FA cup games, sorry, but goalies shouldn't need changing or resting, barring injuries of course, Clemence never needed resting, Klopp needs to decide what his best team is and stick with it....nuff said.

Let's just swap all 3 for Rebrov or whatever the F**k his name was. He looked better then all of our 3.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,138 posts | 1084 
      Reply #719: Sep 28, 2017 03:49:56 am
      If u got THREE keepers on your squad than u ain't got ONE!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #720: Sep 28, 2017 04:39:39 am

Nope read this several times and I haven't got an igloo what you're on about  :f_doh:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #721: Sep 28, 2017 05:21:17 am
      Seeing the Mancs today score 4 goals with ease. They had the same chances as we did yesterday (maybe less), and their opponents played better than Spartak! Whatever we say about spending £75 million on Lukaku, they identified their problem last year (not killing games off), and hes looking a bargain. 10 goals in 9.

The results yesterday showed us where our result was with all those English teams and even Celtic winning away from home. To say we created chances is not any shock to me or surely to anybody, but that's not what the game is about. It's about scoring goals and nlt letting them in.

Lukaku is a very lazy striker, but of course much more effective at the stuff that really matters than Firmino.

The picture just domestically alone Morata, Kane, Lukaku, Aguero, Lacazette and we have Firmino. Nobody can be shocked if we don't convert as many of our chances them.

It's not that surprising we are profligate in front of goal and are therefore more 'unlucky' than any of them.

Exactly the same scenario plays out with our goalkeepers too and conceding less shots than most of them but conceding more goals. Again, not that unlucky.

We have short arms and long pockets in the transfer window. Thats the main problem.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6690 
      Reply #722: Sep 28, 2017 06:35:05 am
      Nope read this several times and I haven't got an igloo what you're on about  :f_doh:

Me too mate. Read it twice already!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #723: Sep 28, 2017 06:55:52 am

Well...

Yea you have 3
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,723 posts | 566 
      Reply #724: Sep 28, 2017 08:18:23 am
      Even Celtic winning away
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #725: Sep 28, 2017 08:41:39 am

I think I may have the Rosetta stone.

What he meant: Even though we have got 3, none of them can be considered our No.1.

Come back and help us decrypt the Hammurabi code, BRIT434. :D
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,138 posts | 1084 
      Reply #726: Sep 28, 2017 03:07:27 pm
      I think I may have the Rosetta stone.

What he meant: Even though we have got 3, none of them can be considered our No.1.

Come back and help us decrypt the Hammurabi code, BRIT434. :D

HAHAHAHA. That's that Merica talk. When a team rotates quaterbacks its generally because none of them are good enough to take the job themselves outright. Same in this situation. We have 3 keepers, but none of them will grab the proverbial bull by the horns and solidify their spot in the teams keeper hierarchy. Thus the saying goes "When you have 3 you don't have one".

Thanks Indi
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 516 
      Reply #727: Sep 28, 2017 09:25:58 pm
      HAHAHAHA. That's that Merica talk. When a team rotates quaterbacks its generally because none of them are good enough to take the job themselves outright. Same in this situation. We have 3 keepers, but none of them will grab the proverbial bull by the horns and solidify their spot in the teams keeper hierarchy. Thus the saying goes "When you have 3 you don't have one".

Thanks Indi

Pretty fair analogy in that case.

My view is if Jürgen didn't have somebody he believed in as a no 1, he should have bought one in the summer.

It looked like he'd settled on Mignolet ( which I thought was a risk , but I could understand it). I don't understand starting the season and then going "actually, we don't have one".

I like Jürgen, but pick a no. 1 goalie and back him.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #728: Sep 29, 2017 03:51:07 pm
      Both keepers, Karius/Mignolet are error prone but (IMHO) ability wise Karius is better.

He is definitely much better at coming for crosses & high balls in the penalty area and excellent (much much better than Mignolet) at distribution. I think he can become LFC number one if given a run of games. Quite simply, Simon Mignolet must leave LFC for Karius to become numero uno and Ward to be numero dos.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #729: Sep 29, 2017 04:14:43 pm
      Both keepers, Karius/Mignolet are error prone but (IMHO) ability wise Karius is better.

He is definitely much better at coming for crosses & high balls in the penalty area and excellent (much much better than Mignolet) at distribution. I think he can become LFC number one if given a run of games. Quite simply, Simon Mignolet must leave LFC for Karius to become numero uno and Ward to be numero dos.

I have to disagree a little here because Karius still doesn't provide the confidence of a solid man between the sticks. I am cognisant of the fact that it's still way too early and Karius deserves a run of games before we decide on his ability.

But, what makes me suspicious of his abilities are two moments of action that I believe has not been discussed here (apart from the obvious goal that he let in that would have definitely been stopped in some kiddy league)

1. Against Spartak there was a moment when the opposition could have scored the winner. It was purely a moment of indecision from Karius where he stepped out of his line thinking he could get hold of the ball (although it was far away) only to try and step back to his line. It was a moment of madness that smacked of indecisiveness. Not a good trait, is it?
       Thankfully that was not converted. He reminds me of some indecisive goalies that Arsenal had in the recent past.

2.Speaking of Arsenal, in the game when we annihilated them, he still managed to give us the jitters with his antics.

Now, Klopp did say that it will take time for us to get used to his style of play. He does look like a player who isn't afraid of stepping out of his line. But, really, it's his job to see if he can push Mignolet out. He has been given chances and he hasn't taken them so far. Until now there isn't really anything in his play that suggests that he can replace Mignolet.

Quick Reply