Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sky plan to move Arsenal v LFC to Christmas Eve

Read 8513 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Sky plan to move Arsenal v LFC to Christmas Eve
      Sep 27, 2017 09:20:58 pm
      Good old Sky TV trying to move Arsenal away to a 5.30 kick off on Christmas Eve.

Unreal.
      « Last Edit: Sep 29, 2017 05:43:39 pm by JD »
      MsGerrard
      Re: Sky plan to move LFC game at Arsenal to Christmas Eve
      Reply #1: Sep 27, 2017 09:31:45 pm
      Good old Sky TV trying to move Arsenal away to a 5.30 kick off on Christmas Eve.

Unreal.

Thinking of the fans again I see  :roll:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Sep 28, 2017 12:23:28 am

Unreal.

Top snides. Hope that doesn't happen.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Sep 28, 2017 01:01:35 am
      Spirit Of Shankly have been made aware that Liverpool’s away fixture against Arsenal, scheduled for 23 December, is being considered for a move to Christmas Eve.

It is our understanding that Arsenal have been asked if they can staff such a fixture and the Metropolitan Police have been approached for their view. Changing the date to Christmas Eve would have untold impact on staff and supporters, particularly away fans. Depending on kick-off time, and depleted public transport links, the majority of travelling Liverpool supporters would not get home until the early hours of Christmas morning.

SOS are contacting relevant personnel to put forward our case that it is completely unacceptable to expect fans to travel for a match at this time. The suggestion of such a change again shows zero regard for supporters – much like the corresponding fixture where Euston station was closed over Bank Holiday weekend.

Be assured, SOS will do all we can to reach a postive outcome, in which both Arsenal and Liverpool, the police, TV companies and Premier League will decide against such a move.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4: Sep 28, 2017 07:49:47 pm
      Sunday at 5.30pm is strange even for them. But it's not our home game so regardless when it's played, most of us won't be there anyway.

No EPL game has been played on the date since 1995. And that was a 11.30am ko.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: Sep 28, 2017 10:08:05 pm
      Sunday at 5.30pm is strange even for them. But it's not our home game so regardless when it's played, most of us won't be there anyway.

Not that it matters, but still know plenty of lads who do travel and it's a disgraceful decision. Unless they travel by car, how are fans supposed to get home afterwards?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #6: Sep 29, 2017 05:10:19 pm

So it doesn't really matter that a few loyal fans, who sing their hearts out at all away games, are pissed on, because it's not as if it'll inconvenience the majority.

So it really does not matter, that the travelling Kop, are stranded in London on Christmas Eve, it's only going to be few people having their Christmas Day with the kids & family disrupted.

You really don't care for your fellow man do you, as long as you get your TV entertainment.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Sky plan to move Arsenal v LFC to Christmas Eve
      Reply #7: Sep 29, 2017 05:52:37 pm
      I'm going to go against the grain here but football clubs can't have it both ways. They can grandstand in front of their own fans all they like (which both Liverpool and Arsenal are doing here) but it's their own fault. You can't on the one hand take billions of pounds off these companies and sell your soul, then moan when they call in a few chips.

Both Arsenal and Liverpool are HUGE members of the Premier League, if they and others were REALLY concerned about the fans then why not put a special clause in the TV deal giving clubs a veto? Why not put an amendum in which prevents this type of extreme re-scheduling?

The FA and the rich club owners don't give a f*** about the fans, SKY are simply getting what they paid for, the right to do what the f*** they like.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #8: Sep 29, 2017 06:01:44 pm
      I'm going to go against the grain here but football clubs can't have it both ways. They can grandstand in front of their own fans all they like (which both Liverpool and Arsenal are doing here) but it's their own fault. You can't on the one hand take billions of pounds off these companies and sell your soul, then moan when they call in a few chips.

Both Arsenal and Liverpool are HUGE members of the Premier League, if they and others were REALLY concerned about the fans then why not put a special clause in the TV deal giving clubs a veto? Why not put an amendum in which prevents this type of extreme re-scheduling?

The FA and the rich club owners don't give a f*** about the fans, SKY are simply getting what they paid for, the right to do what the f*** they like.

A bit like the television companies can't have it all their own F***ing way!! Do you really think they'd spend billions of F***ing pounds on buying the Premier League if it was getting played in front of empty stadiums.

How about some consideration for the fans for once?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #9: Sep 29, 2017 06:10:01 pm

I see your point, but we are talking about fans safety here.

If the authorities charter trains back to Liverpool, then OK, but they won't.

They must have a duty of care, they must ensure that rescheduling does not impede on the fans, after all if the game was played in an empty stadium, that would make great TV. Sky should accept that this move, Sky not the clubs, as it is Sky who are enforcing this, with the FA's blessing, is a huge problem for the away fans.

Remember that not only will it be a Sunday service, but probably there will be delays due to track repairs.

The Stoke/West Brom would inconvenience the fans the least, but wait...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10: Sep 29, 2017 06:10:35 pm
      A bit like the television companies can't have it all their own f**king way!! Do you really think they'd spend billions of f**king pounds on buying the Premier League if it was getting played in front of empty stadiums.

Mate I totally agree that the fans are getting taken the piss out of, AND I totally agree that fans are like extras at a televised live show, vital to making it saleable and watchable.

Where I disagree with the clubs and the FA, is that this would be SO easy to avoid by simply putting some boundaries into the TV contract. It's no good them whining about it now, when it was they who did the deal. SKY I expect no better of, they'll be looking to play on Christmas Day soon, you watch.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11: Sep 29, 2017 06:14:27 pm
      A bit like the television companies can't have it all their own F***ing way!! Do you really think they'd spend billions of F***ing pounds on buying the Premier League if it was getting played in front of empty stadiums.

Sky are a F***ing cancer on the game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Sep 29, 2017 06:20:21 pm
      Would be 4 games in 9 days, that. Hmmm, which team's style would cause that congestion to hurt them the most?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13: Sep 29, 2017 06:21:35 pm
      Would be 4 games in 9 days, that. Hmmm, which team's style would cause that congestion to hurt them the most?

Same every year in fairness.
      I remember Klopp was gobsmacked the first time he saw the xmas and new year fixture list.
      He has a point though, it's F***ing madness.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: Sep 29, 2017 06:33:26 pm

Mate I totally agree that the fans are getting taken the piss out of, AND I totally agree that fans are like extras at a televised live show, vital to making it saleable and watchable.

Where I disagree with the clubs and the FA, is that this would be SO easy to avoid by simply putting some boundaries into the TV contract. It's no good them whining about it now, when it was they who did the deal. SKY I expect no better of, they'll be looking to play on Christmas Day soon, you watch.

Football was played on xmas day many moons ago
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #15: Sep 29, 2017 06:33:55 pm
      Sky are a f**king cancer on the game.

Money talks
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Sep 29, 2017 06:50:30 pm

Yep, unfortunately true.

I read a while back that Sky actually lose a shitload of money on football, but try to keep their near monopoly because it raises their profile, and when people buy a sports package they also buy other stuff as well.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #17: Sep 29, 2017 06:56:45 pm
      Football was played on xmas day many moons ago

Just looked through the last 50 seasons, no games on the 24th or 25th of December.

But our 1st season in 1892 we did.. on the 24th, in 1907 we lost 4-1 to Chelsea at Anfield on the 25th.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: Sep 29, 2017 07:09:48 pm
      All about home alone 2 and Santa Clause the movie at Christmas Eve.

F**k off Sky.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #19: Sep 29, 2017 07:10:31 pm
      Love to wake up one morning and see that Sky have gone into liquidation.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #20: Sep 29, 2017 07:27:02 pm
      Love to wake up one morning and see that Sky have gone into liquidation.

Bt , facebook or someone else comes in and buys the rights and nothing will change.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #21: Sep 29, 2017 07:27:50 pm
      All about home alone 2 and Santa Clause the movie at Christmas Eve.

F**k off Sky.

Die hard is the best Christmas movie ever
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #22: Sep 29, 2017 08:33:22 pm
      Bt , facebook or someone else comes in and buys the rights and nothing will change.

So be it pal.

As long as it's not Sky.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #23: Sep 29, 2017 08:35:44 pm

Fair enough, but it is never goinh to change, whoever has the rights
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Sep 29, 2017 08:38:56 pm
      With the expectation of playing Boxing Day too probably.

Sky can do one.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #25: Sep 29, 2017 09:38:20 pm
      Me, I'm goint to record it, stay away from the news and watch it X-mas Day....  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #26: Sep 30, 2017 02:45:05 am
      Insane.

Who does the money get first paid to ?

The F.A. ?

Plenty of support will be forthcoming from them then ...  not.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #27: Sep 30, 2017 09:19:19 am
      Sky are a f**king cancer on the game.
      They most certainly are,& as @fatkopite10 said 'money talks'.
      I hope sky get told to F**k right off I really do,a F***ing game  away on Christmas Eve & to add insult to injury a 5.30 K.O,no F***ing scruples or consideration in the game anymore,no wonder some of us become more & more disheartened with the game when you see sh*t like this.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #28: Sep 30, 2017 10:03:00 am
      That's just dog sh*te behaviour from SKy..

Leave Xmas eve alone for families FFS..
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #29: Sep 30, 2017 11:07:26 am
      Clubs haven't help by selling their soul to tv
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30: Sep 30, 2017 11:34:43 am
      I could almost go for it if it was sayy 12 or 1 kick off v Everton utd city or Burnley. Its disgusting to expect people to travel to london and back on Christmas eve. When people should be with their family.

Unfair on players also
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #31: Sep 30, 2017 11:56:50 am
      How about they make it fair and move all matches to Christmas Eve if that's the case.

Not that it's right but if it's happening let every club do it and see what the full scale reaction is.

Just pricks.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #32: Oct 01, 2017 12:06:46 pm

You really don't get this club you. Absolute weapon.

Sky and unfortunately the clubs don't give a sh*t about the fans. Hopefully SOS are able to apply some pressure on this and it doesn't go ahead, absolutely ridiculous.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #33: Oct 03, 2017 01:21:46 pm
      Seriously, has no one at the FA ever seen Scrooge??

Total imbeciles the lot of them, lets hope they will be seeing 3 ghosts pretty soon.

YNWA
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34: Oct 03, 2017 03:44:27 pm
      I could almost go for it if it was sayy 12 or 1 kick off v Everton utd city or Burnley. Its disgusting to expect people to travel to london and back on Christmas eve. When people should be with their family.

Unfair on players also

Waiting for the day when matche are played in large TV studios with a band playing and only piped in crowd noise, plus "fans" sending in electronic messages from their armchairs. There are plenty of higher-ups who, as long as the money was the same for them, wouldn't care about this at all.

Over here you almost have to go to the university level to find any real passion for teams. It is so obvious what a special thing it when a community and a club are one - there's really nothing in sport like it. And the money people are quite happy to throw it all away.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #35: Oct 03, 2017 04:32:21 pm
      If Sky thought they could flog more cars and cornflakes we'd play the first half tuesdee bleedin' afternoon and the second half....ten past three satdee bleedin' mornin..
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #36: Oct 03, 2017 08:59:31 pm
      Quote from RedPuppy
      So it doesn't really matter that a few loyal fans, who sing their hearts out at all away games, are pissed on, because it's not as if it'll inconvenience the majority.

So it really does not matter, that the travelling Kop, are stranded in London on Christmas Eve, it's only going to be few people having their Christmas Day with the kids & family disrupted.

You really don't care for your fellow man do you, as long as you get your TV entertainment.

And if it was a different club involved, how far would your solidarity stretch then?

If you're not going, as most of us won't be, this issue doesn't really affect you. If you are lucky enough to be going, you have three months to organise alternative arrangements, if necessary. If you usually go away for Christmas, you can use this as your Christmas break, and still get away for a few days.

Despite the public transport disruption, the club will run buses and coaches to the game as normal. The supporters clubs will do likewise. There is no necessity to be "stranded" in one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world. Is it really much different to playing games on the 26th or New Year, and putting up with many of the same issues then?

We last played on the 24th against the mancs at home in the late 80's, iirc. I didn't expect this it must be said, ai thought they would try the Friday night instead. But we'll have to get on with whatever decision is made. We have 30 league games rescheduled for tv every year, and they have been rescheduling games every year since 1983. It's a bit late to complain about it now.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #37: Oct 03, 2017 09:11:00 pm
      And if it was a different club involved, how far would your solidarity stretch then?

If you're not going, as most of us won't be, this issue doesn't really affect you. If you are lucky enough to be going, you have three months to organise alternative arrangements, if necessary. If you usually go away for Christmas, you can use this as your Christmas break, and still get away for a few days.

Despite the public transport disruption, the club will run buses and coaches to the game as normal. The supporters clubs will do likewise. There is no necessity to be "stranded" in one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world. Is it really much different to playing games on the 26th or New Year, and putting up with many of the same issues then?

We last played on the 24th against the mancs at home in the late 80's, iirc. I didn't expect this it must be said, ai thought they would try the Friday night instead. But we'll have to get on with whatever decision is made. We have 30 league games rescheduled for tv every year, and they have been rescheduling games every year since 1983. It's a bit late to complain about it now.

Do you deliberately go out the way to be antagonistic? Why can't people put family etc ahead of football for once, tradition may mean northing to you but it does matter a lot here
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #38: Oct 03, 2017 09:11:42 pm
      You can do your best to never try and judge somebody, completely, just by posts on a forum.

But that one right there.

Never been more sure of anything.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #39: Oct 03, 2017 10:24:32 pm
      Quote from FATKOPITE10
      Why can't people put family etc ahead of football for once, tradition may mean northing to you but it does matter a lot here

If traditionalists had their way, every single game would be Saturday afternoon at 3.00. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's just totally unrealistic these days.

One tradition though has survived. Christmas time is football time across the whole UK, always has been, so players coaches and fans have to be prepared for all sorts of dates and ko times, and deal with what that involves. If people want their Christmas for other things, there are plenty of leagues in countries nearby, ready and willing to accommodate them.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #40: Oct 04, 2017 02:57:00 pm
      You can do your best to never try and judge somebody, completely, just by posts on a forum.

But that one right there.

Never been more sure of anything.

Yep....better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #41: Oct 04, 2017 03:55:27 pm
      He who pays the piper...

That's why we get all that TV money we're hoarding. 👍
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #42: Oct 04, 2017 05:24:48 pm
      Better than going Christmas shopping. Celebrate Christmas early, with another win against the gunners, me thinks !
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #43: Oct 04, 2017 06:08:11 pm
      He who pays the piper...

That's why we get all that TV money we're hoarding. 👍

And trying to get more from the overseas tv deal
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #44: Oct 04, 2017 07:47:32 pm
      Has tbis been binned yet?
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #45: Oct 04, 2017 08:59:39 pm

Saw a story that it might not happen as Arsenal can't get enough stewards or something.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #46: Oct 05, 2017 09:53:20 am
      Saw a story that it might not happen as Arsenal can't get enough stewards or something.

It's sad that that's probably the only reason that it won't go ahead on Christmas Eve.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #47: Oct 10, 2017 02:38:50 pm
      prem says no 4 o'clock games on xmas eve,but still might be games.http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41564944.on a personal level woulds be great for me cos xmas eve is sh*te here.But with the match goers on this and shouldn't happen.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #48: Oct 10, 2017 05:47:29 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #49: Oct 12, 2017 10:17:12 pm
      Rumours of 12.30 xmas eve kick off, F***ing bas**rds
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #50: Oct 13, 2017 07:45:24 am
      Rumours of 12.30 xmas eve kick off, f**king bas**rds

Bang on the time I make a start on all of my Christmas shopping.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #51: Oct 13, 2017 10:18:56 am
      Bang on the time I make a start on all of my Christmas shopping.

Do mine in the boxing day sales
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #52: Oct 17, 2017 06:03:07 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #53: Oct 18, 2017 06:54:19 pm
      Friday nite would be alright,no?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #54: Oct 18, 2017 07:38:01 pm

Friday night just before xmas, mmmm
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #55: Oct 19, 2017 10:05:29 am
      Friday before Xmas is surely way better than Xmas eve?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #56: Oct 19, 2017 12:17:47 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #57: Oct 19, 2017 12:19:34 pm
      Friday before Xmas is surely way better than Xmas eve?

Like being stabbed in neck is better than being stabbed in the head, friday nights are usually busy and friday night in london, just before xmas, ridiculous
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #58: Oct 19, 2017 12:38:28 pm
      How about they make it fair and move all matches to Christmas Eve if that's the case.

Not that it's right but if it's happening let every club do it and see what the full scale reaction is.

Just pricks.

How about if they cancel Crimbo and move it to July when I will be on Holiday and won't have to watch a Strictly bleeding come fecking dancing Christmas special..
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #59: Oct 19, 2017 02:11:09 pm
      That'll do me to be honest because I usually do all my Christmas shopping on the last Saturday!

Quick Reply