Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sky plan to move Arsenal v LFC to Christmas Eve

Read 8515 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Sky plan to move Arsenal v LFC to Christmas Eve
      Sep 27, 2017 09:20:58 pm
      Good old Sky TV trying to move Arsenal away to a 5.30 kick off on Christmas Eve.

Unreal.
      « Last Edit: Sep 29, 2017 05:43:39 pm by JD »
      MsGerrard
      Re: Sky plan to move LFC game at Arsenal to Christmas Eve
      Reply #1: Sep 27, 2017 09:31:45 pm
      Good old Sky TV trying to move Arsenal away to a 5.30 kick off on Christmas Eve.

Unreal.

Thinking of the fans again I see  :roll:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Sep 28, 2017 12:23:28 am

Unreal.

Top snides. Hope that doesn't happen.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Sep 28, 2017 01:01:35 am
      Spirit Of Shankly have been made aware that Liverpool’s away fixture against Arsenal, scheduled for 23 December, is being considered for a move to Christmas Eve.

It is our understanding that Arsenal have been asked if they can staff such a fixture and the Metropolitan Police have been approached for their view. Changing the date to Christmas Eve would have untold impact on staff and supporters, particularly away fans. Depending on kick-off time, and depleted public transport links, the majority of travelling Liverpool supporters would not get home until the early hours of Christmas morning.

SOS are contacting relevant personnel to put forward our case that it is completely unacceptable to expect fans to travel for a match at this time. The suggestion of such a change again shows zero regard for supporters – much like the corresponding fixture where Euston station was closed over Bank Holiday weekend.

Be assured, SOS will do all we can to reach a postive outcome, in which both Arsenal and Liverpool, the police, TV companies and Premier League will decide against such a move.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4: Sep 28, 2017 07:49:47 pm
      Sunday at 5.30pm is strange even for them. But it's not our home game so regardless when it's played, most of us won't be there anyway.

No EPL game has been played on the date since 1995. And that was a 11.30am ko.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: Sep 28, 2017 10:08:05 pm
      Sunday at 5.30pm is strange even for them. But it's not our home game so regardless when it's played, most of us won't be there anyway.

Not that it matters, but still know plenty of lads who do travel and it's a disgraceful decision. Unless they travel by car, how are fans supposed to get home afterwards?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #6: Sep 29, 2017 05:10:19 pm

So it doesn't really matter that a few loyal fans, who sing their hearts out at all away games, are pissed on, because it's not as if it'll inconvenience the majority.

So it really does not matter, that the travelling Kop, are stranded in London on Christmas Eve, it's only going to be few people having their Christmas Day with the kids & family disrupted.

You really don't care for your fellow man do you, as long as you get your TV entertainment.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Sky plan to move Arsenal v LFC to Christmas Eve
      Reply #7: Sep 29, 2017 05:52:37 pm
      I'm going to go against the grain here but football clubs can't have it both ways. They can grandstand in front of their own fans all they like (which both Liverpool and Arsenal are doing here) but it's their own fault. You can't on the one hand take billions of pounds off these companies and sell your soul, then moan when they call in a few chips.

Both Arsenal and Liverpool are HUGE members of the Premier League, if they and others were REALLY concerned about the fans then why not put a special clause in the TV deal giving clubs a veto? Why not put an amendum in which prevents this type of extreme re-scheduling?

The FA and the rich club owners don't give a f*** about the fans, SKY are simply getting what they paid for, the right to do what the f*** they like.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #8: Sep 29, 2017 06:01:44 pm
      I'm going to go against the grain here but football clubs can't have it both ways. They can grandstand in front of their own fans all they like (which both Liverpool and Arsenal are doing here) but it's their own fault. You can't on the one hand take billions of pounds off these companies and sell your soul, then moan when they call in a few chips.

Both Arsenal and Liverpool are HUGE members of the Premier League, if they and others were REALLY concerned about the fans then why not put a special clause in the TV deal giving clubs a veto? Why not put an amendum in which prevents this type of extreme re-scheduling?

The FA and the rich club owners don't give a f*** about the fans, SKY are simply getting what they paid for, the right to do what the f*** they like.

A bit like the television companies can't have it all their own F***ing way!! Do you really think they'd spend billions of F***ing pounds on buying the Premier League if it was getting played in front of empty stadiums.

How about some consideration for the fans for once?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #9: Sep 29, 2017 06:10:01 pm

I see your point, but we are talking about fans safety here.

If the authorities charter trains back to Liverpool, then OK, but they won't.

They must have a duty of care, they must ensure that rescheduling does not impede on the fans, after all if the game was played in an empty stadium, that would make great TV. Sky should accept that this move, Sky not the clubs, as it is Sky who are enforcing this, with the FA's blessing, is a huge problem for the away fans.

Remember that not only will it be a Sunday service, but probably there will be delays due to track repairs.

The Stoke/West Brom would inconvenience the fans the least, but wait...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10: Sep 29, 2017 06:10:35 pm
      A bit like the television companies can't have it all their own f**king way!! Do you really think they'd spend billions of f**king pounds on buying the Premier League if it was getting played in front of empty stadiums.

Mate I totally agree that the fans are getting taken the piss out of, AND I totally agree that fans are like extras at a televised live show, vital to making it saleable and watchable.

Where I disagree with the clubs and the FA, is that this would be SO easy to avoid by simply putting some boundaries into the TV contract. It's no good them whining about it now, when it was they who did the deal. SKY I expect no better of, they'll be looking to play on Christmas Day soon, you watch.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11: Sep 29, 2017 06:14:27 pm
      A bit like the television companies can't have it all their own F***ing way!! Do you really think they'd spend billions of F***ing pounds on buying the Premier League if it was getting played in front of empty stadiums.

Sky are a F***ing cancer on the game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Sep 29, 2017 06:20:21 pm
      Would be 4 games in 9 days, that. Hmmm, which team's style would cause that congestion to hurt them the most?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13: Sep 29, 2017 06:21:35 pm
      Would be 4 games in 9 days, that. Hmmm, which team's style would cause that congestion to hurt them the most?

Same every year in fairness.
      I remember Klopp was gobsmacked the first time he saw the xmas and new year fixture list.
      He has a point though, it's F***ing madness.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: Sep 29, 2017 06:33:26 pm

Mate I totally agree that the fans are getting taken the piss out of, AND I totally agree that fans are like extras at a televised live show, vital to making it saleable and watchable.

Where I disagree with the clubs and the FA, is that this would be SO easy to avoid by simply putting some boundaries into the TV contract. It's no good them whining about it now, when it was they who did the deal. SKY I expect no better of, they'll be looking to play on Christmas Day soon, you watch.

Football was played on xmas day many moons ago
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #15: Sep 29, 2017 06:33:55 pm
      Sky are a f**king cancer on the game.

Money talks
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Sep 29, 2017 06:50:30 pm

Yep, unfortunately true.

I read a while back that Sky actually lose a shitload of money on football, but try to keep their near monopoly because it raises their profile, and when people buy a sports package they also buy other stuff as well.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #17: Sep 29, 2017 06:56:45 pm
      Football was played on xmas day many moons ago

Just looked through the last 50 seasons, no games on the 24th or 25th of December.

But our 1st season in 1892 we did.. on the 24th, in 1907 we lost 4-1 to Chelsea at Anfield on the 25th.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: Sep 29, 2017 07:09:48 pm
      All about home alone 2 and Santa Clause the movie at Christmas Eve.

F**k off Sky.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #19: Sep 29, 2017 07:10:31 pm
      Love to wake up one morning and see that Sky have gone into liquidation.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #20: Sep 29, 2017 07:27:02 pm
      Love to wake up one morning and see that Sky have gone into liquidation.

Bt , facebook or someone else comes in and buys the rights and nothing will change.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #21: Sep 29, 2017 07:27:50 pm
      All about home alone 2 and Santa Clause the movie at Christmas Eve.

F**k off Sky.

Die hard is the best Christmas movie ever
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #22: Sep 29, 2017 08:33:22 pm
      Bt , facebook or someone else comes in and buys the rights and nothing will change.

So be it pal.

As long as it's not Sky.

Quick Reply