Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Catalan Referendum

Read 388 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: Catalan Referendum
      Reply #25: Oct 24, 2017 10:53:43 pm
      They won't send in the military, that's what the Guardia Civil are for.

Same fuckers that were quite handy twatting unarmed civilians.

Are the Guardia civil a police force or a national guard?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,503 posts | 4342 
      Reply #26: Oct 24, 2017 11:14:28 pm

This is the description from wiki

"the oldest law enforcement agency in Spain. It is organised as a military force charged with police duties under the authority of both the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Defence"
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,751 posts | 3302 
      Reply #27: Oct 25, 2017 10:37:09 am

They kick arse good style, more like your National Guard than police.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,751 posts | 3302 
      Reply #28: Oct 25, 2017 10:39:49 am
      Don't get nationalism [or any f**king ism, to be fair], never did and...

It's all the more laughable when you see fucksticks, who want to be part of a non-border, Europe cry to become a small "independent" state.

Where do you stop, and (literally) draw the line; towns breaking away from Catalonia because they want to be Spanish? Or streets, in towns, breaking away from towns, which have broken away from Catalonia, because those streets feel Catalonian? 🙄💩

A recipe for f**king chaos.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #29: Oct 26, 2017 05:20:55 pm
      They kick arse good style, more like your National Guard than police.
      So they're an arm of the Spanish Government / Spanish military who is under the auspices of the Spanish President or Prime Minister ? Are they actually Police or security services? Because one article i read on the Guardian stated that the police forces in the Catalan area may not enforce any directives from Madrid or orders from the Spanish Government.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #30: Oct 26, 2017 05:25:43 pm
      That's a cop out from Barca the football club. Should have exercised the "more than a club" motto got behind its people and taken on the Spanish FA.

Problem for Barca is they cant go against LaLiga or the Spanish FA. For now they need to play and seceeding from La Liga would destroy Barcelona FC.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,503 posts | 4342 
      Reply #31: Oct 26, 2017 07:01:25 pm
      So they're an arm of the Spanish Government / Spanish military who is under the auspices of the Spanish President or Prime Minister ? Are they actually Police or security services? Because one article i read on the Guardian stated that the police forces in the Catalan area may not enforce any directives from Madrid or orders from the Spanish Government.

They will be on about the local police forces.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,751 posts | 3302 
      Reply #32: Oct 26, 2017 08:21:06 pm

They are to all intents and purposes military police with national security a priority.
      Those reports or any reports about Catalonian self-rule are extremely hypothetical.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,377 posts | 2162 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #33: Oct 27, 2017 02:36:25 pm
      Independence has been declared, no doubt rajoy will decare article 155 which will trigger elections
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #34: Oct 28, 2017 05:07:10 am
      Im pissed that the US has endorsed the Spanish Government. Were a nation that fought for Independence and won. Personally, if the majority of the Catalonian people want and vote for Independence than i support it 100%. I hope its a peaceful proces but i have a feeling the Spanish government, with the suspension of the Catalan police, will use force and it may become a civil war.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #35: Oct 28, 2017 05:24:41 am
      VIVA ESPANA. If you want, you can borrow our Declaration. Its pretty good. The last paragraph is my favorite.

When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. —
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,751 posts | 3302 
      Reply #36: Oct 28, 2017 06:34:37 am
      Im pissed that the US has endorsed the Spanish Government. Were a nation that fought for Independence and won. Personally, if the majority of the Catalonian people want and vote for Independence than i support it 100%. I hope its a peaceful proces but i have a feeling the Spanish government, with the suspension of the Catalan police, will use force and it may become a civil war.

Apparently your leaders interpretation of your Bill of Rights differs from the way you see it. 

Could it be that said Bill of Rights is only used when convenience permits?
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 24,366 posts | 3271 
      Reply #37: Oct 28, 2017 09:18:53 am

You aint pissed at your Goverment for bankrolling a racist Arparthied state Israel & basically wiping 'Palestine' off the map...

Back to Spain, civil war on the way..
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #38: Oct 28, 2017 12:56:19 pm
      You aint pissed at your Goverment for bankrolling a racist Arparthied state Israel & basically wiping 'Palestine' off the map...

Back to Spain, civil war on the way..

If i got angry at every dick move my country made I would be a serial killer.

But in order to put a quick stop on having to sit and read another patented Shabs, anti israel rant on this forum, I'll stroke your ego. Yes, I support Israel. Yes, i support a free Palestinian state. Yes, I am against the treatment of the Palestinians in Gaza and yes, I am against Hamas. Can we move on now or will you hijack this thread as usual and talk sh*t about Israel which has NOTHING to do with Catalan Independence.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2017 02:12:02 pm by YANK_LFC_FAN »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #39: Oct 28, 2017 09:30:49 pm
      Whilst USA won the war of independence, you have to give huge credit to the French who provided assistance. They entered through Canada and traveled south to ambush the British. Not only that, the war was a waste of time because we handed Canada, Zealand, Australia, India and Jamaica...etc independence after World War 2. The only difference is, if USA did not win or there were no war, the USA would be a part of the commonwealth nations and the Queen would also be the Queen of USA as well as UK, New Zealand, Canada ... etc.... and to be honest, she does not get involved in politics much, especially in commonwealth nations other than UK. USA would still be independent... and there are advantages to being a commonwealth nation. Benefits include certain aspects of citizenship and trade, on the citizenship part.. it doesn't mean automatic visa free living on other countries, but it can help with residence, for example somebody with a British grandad can move to UK if they are born in commonwealth and grandad is born in UK, for everyone else, such is USA citizens it has to be a parent not a grandparent.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #40: Oct 29, 2017 10:14:33 am
      Whilst USA won the war of independence, you have to give huge credit to the French who provided assistance. They entered through Canada and traveled south to ambush the British. Not only that, the war was a waste of time because we handed Canada, Zealand, Australia, India and Jamaica...etc independence after World War 2. The only difference is, if USA did not win or there were no war, the USA would be a part of the commonwealth nations and the Queen would also be the Queen of USA as well as UK, New Zealand, Canada ... etc.... and to be honest, she does not get involved in politics much, especially in commonwealth nations other than UK. USA would still be independent... and there are advantages to being a commonwealth nation. Benefits include certain aspects of citizenship and trade, on the citizenship part.. it doesn't mean automatic visa free living on other countries, but it can help with residence, for example somebody with a British grandad can move to UK if they are born in commonwealth and grandad is born in UK, for everyone else, such is USA citizens it has to be a parent not a grandparent.
      Yeah, the French definitely turned the tide. The land battles were pretty even for awhile. We had some big victories and big losses. It was the introduction of the French navy which really helped. They stopped the British resupplies and created a defacto siege of the British Army. Once they couldnt resupply men and material Washington slowly ground Cornwallis down. Once the British forces couldnt fight their way out of Yorktown or retreat to the ships, Cornwallis surrendered. Washington actually forced Cornwallis to walk from his HQ and literally lay his sword down. But Cornwallis was humiliated and sent his aide to surrender.

Quick Reply