Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (2.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (8.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      46 (67.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (7.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: Oct 05, 2017 06:25:54 pm

Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33058 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Re: Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Oct 01, 2017 08:20:52 pm
      Couldnt watch the match, but we're not very good, are we?

Nope, just got done watching and I’m disgusted that this is the best team that we could put on the field after a summer of a £200m war chest.

It’s actually becoming a joke at this point.

It would be easier to say who played well than who didn’t. I though Gomez was a bright spot and Solanke as well after he came on. Coutinho has a nice goal but really was no better than anyone else in midfield. They were all ineffective as was our defense for the most part when needed.

Sad state of affairs. Not sure how we are going to finish in the top 6 much less the top 4.

Guess Klopp will have to start working some miracles.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,177 posts | 1630 
      Reply #668: Oct 01, 2017 08:21:11 pm
      One pass took out our midfield and two centre backs. We have seen them get split like that so often in the past, the midfield was all in one line, we need someone sitting deeper and suddenly that pass isn't on.

Starting to get very frustrated with this same old same old.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #669: Oct 01, 2017 08:25:33 pm
      Would genuinely not surprise me if we beat United and Spurs in our next two games (but then probably drew v Huddersfield of course!)

If only there was a superleague with the top6 ... we'd be champs ! ;)

Damn the plucky F***ing underdogs ..
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #670: Oct 01, 2017 08:26:14 pm
      Ratings:

Mignolet: Thought he dwelt too long for a couple of hung up crosses that caused us a few issues at back posts which could have easily been avoided. Didn't really do anything for their goal but not sure there was much he could have done. 6

Moreno: Thought he played well but delivered poor crosses, linked well with Coutinho and won the duels he needed to. Was never a free-kick on this side where he was called 'rash' in my opinion. 7

Lovren: Thought late on he committed a god awful challenge, didn't cover or look assured too often and to me looks slower at the moment. Perhaps that's to do with the painkillers but he doesn't move smoothly right now. Aerially he did ok and was definitely denied a clear pen. 6.5

Matip: Will get it in the neck for their goal but out of the pair of CBs he was the only one that had the recovery pace to get anywhere near him, got the challenge in and from there on I thought it was just 'one of those things' that seems to be constantly against us right now. Much like Kenny's last season when we were hitting all the posts this has a similar theme where if it can go wrong it will and no matter how much we dominate or are the better side karma/luck/whatever just has it in for us right now and today was Matip's turn to get the short end of that stick. Other than that he was solid, bailed out Gomez more than once and also unlucky not to be given a pen imo. 7

Gomez: Poor, both in attack and at the back, looked like a kid out there far too often. His nerves got the better of him with his passing, he wasn't decisive and generally looked like this was a bit much for him right now. 5

Henderson: Again, I thought he played alright, not as good as the last 3 but still decent. Broke up more of their play than any other player out there and pinged a good few passes around. Heard him trying to communicate with the other lads plenty and I'm not sure there was an awful lot more he could have done defensively. Didn't offer enough going forward but he can be expected to venture less when away from home I suppose. 7

Wijnaldum: Awful, surprised he stayed on the pitch but then the other lads really couldn't argue going off either. I'm exhausted and frustrated watching him, I want him to do better but I now expect him to be bad. His level has dropped to the point where if he does something ordinary I'm like "that's it Gini, come on!" as if he's done something good. Needs time out of the team but without Lallana available I wonder if Jürgen will drop Bobby into his role. 5

Coutinho: Clearly the highest quality in the side today, still don't think he did enough with the opportunities he had but to be fair he produced an absolute world class finish, contender for goal of the season probably just for the sheer power and placement. 7.5 MotM

Salah: Mixed bag for Mo, thought he should have scored earlier when Sturridge put him clear, kind of got his feet in a muddle but also played well in spurts. Just an inconsistent day that tuned with the team, the rhythm just wasn't there. When Bobby came on he also sparked into life more and the interchanging with Solanke as Dom drifted out wide was good, could see it's something we've been working on but didn't get to see it with Sturridge unfortunately. 6.5

Sturridge: One good pass, one missed sitter, 2 offsides and falling over at the end and looking 'injured' when really tired about sums it up. Static, lacking energy, unable to sprint, poor end product. If this is what starting him buys you then even a bang out of form Firmino is a better option unfortunately for him. 5

Mane: Wasn't working for Sadio today, didn't have much help around him or movement to give him that space but still his passing was slightly off and he was left to contend with too many players on him. I think a few players contributed to this ganging up on Sadio and that was Sturridge, Coutinho and Wijnaldum. Coutinho I thought was more tactical, we played him from deeper and therefore left more defenders free to pick up the free players, but Wijnaldum and Sturridge just didn't move for the lad. He'd beat one, or look inside/outside and there'd just be nothing. Sure he played poor, but when people ask can dropping Firmino make Mane or Salah play worse, then watch this match with any other this season that Bobby played and see the contrast. 5

Solanke: Did well when he came on, unlucky with his glancing header, could do little else but nicely beat the defender. Inter-played with Mo and Firmino much better and really worked it side to side. Saw real promise in that performance, want to see him given more minutes. 6

Firmino: Gave us the movement, the winning the ball back and base to advance from which we needed much earlier in the half. Had he and Solanke been on earlier I'm sure we'd have had a couple of goals because they compliment each other and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this combination in the future. That front 4 of Solanke/Mane/Salah/Firmino could be devastating but it's whether we can afford to risk Coutinho/Henderson as the remaining two. Not sure we could if I'm honest but it might be the way to go even still. 6.5

AOC: Missed a good chance, think he was being pushed in the back but Newcastle did a good job of wasting time at the end so he really didn't get a chance to show much more.

Klopp: Bowed to the calls for dropping Bobby and fairly too, but I think next time that decision comes up it's either Ings or Solanke that gets the nod. Visibly frustrated at Sturridge and Gomez near half time when both lost the ball, thought he wanted to punch one of them. Obviously he didn't but as Rush says that's the angriest he's been at LFC (there's a few notches higher to see yet). Left his substitutions too late though and allowed Newcastle to escape with the draw rather than truly earn it in my opinion and today was a bad day for Jürgen.

Think he has a few selection questions to answer when we play again. Expect Bobby back in is easy, but start Solanke, drop Wijnaldum, drop Gomez (this seems without question). Time to earn your corn Boss, being the better team is winning us nothing right now and the vultures are just waiting to take a bite. 5

Henderson a 7 ? haha might have missed when Shelvey left him on his ass.. at least you lot are consistent in overrating that bag of sh*t :roll:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #671: Oct 01, 2017 08:28:00 pm
      Henderson a 7 ? haha might have missed when Shelvey left him on his ass.. at least you lot are consistent in overrating that bag of sh*t :roll:

Yeah I've always overrated Henderson, I mean check my history, never criticised the lad, he's my idol.  :f_tongueincheek:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #672: Oct 01, 2017 08:33:35 pm

at least you lot are consistent in overrating that bag of sh*t

I'm intrigued to find out who 'you lot' is.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #673: Oct 01, 2017 08:36:13 pm
      Can't say we didnt have the chances to win it.

If our 'bad run of form' includes losing 1 game to City with 10 men. The i'll take it. Its a long season.

Nah I'm not having this.. that bad run includes a 5 goals trumping, an early cup exit and draws with Watford, Burnley, Newcastle and a middle table side from Russia.

Oh and you don't win games with chances.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #674: Oct 01, 2017 08:47:42 pm
      Yeah I've always overrated Henderson, I mean check my history, never criticised the lad, he's my idol.  :f_tongueincheek:

Did not mean specifically you as I don't know your history with him but his standards as a captain are very low and to see a 7 for that performance from a captain is laughable to me.. I wonder if Gerrard delivered that stuff you would've gave him the same 7 ?

I'm intrigued to find out who 'you lot' is.

Take a look on his thread.. his followers are there to defend his sh*t with his 99.99% side way passes stats and all the other stuff.
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #675: Oct 01, 2017 08:56:24 pm
      Pathetic lacklustre performance ONCE AGAIN, Klopp is struggling big time, few more performances like this and he is under huge pressure, every single game we dominated possession, create chances, don't covert our chances, and let in quite ridiculous goals, honestly can't see things improving anytime soon, as the same muppets are playing week in week out.

Moreno is a headless chicken, why sign Robertson? He has looked ok on his rare appearances, delivery is better than Moreno.

Painful watching Gini and Hendo together, no creativity whatsoever, both are Mr Safe, Hendo gets the ball off the CB, and plays it straight back to them, or gives it 5 yards sideways, no use at all, and Gini slows us down, and offers bugger all, would rather see Milner or Ox in CM ahead of this constant let down.

AND LFC LET ME DOWN FOR MY F*CKIN 5 TEAM ACCA.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #676: Oct 01, 2017 09:02:41 pm
      Did not mean specifically you as I don't know your history with him but his standards as a captain are very low and to see a 7 for that performance from a captain is laughable to me.. I wonder if Gerrard delivered that stuff you would've gave him the same 7 ?

Take a look on his thread.. his followers are there to defend his sh*t with his 99.99% side way passes stats and all the other stuff.

I've criticised him probably more than 90% of people on this board I'd guess. So there's a little perspective for you on my willingness to overrate his performances. I thought he won the ball back more than any other player on the pitch, not just on our side. Kept the ball moving quick enough and I saw him barking at people left and right today which I don't often see from him. Call me wrong but I also liked that he tried to antagonise Shelvey, who is a red card waiting to happen most of the time.

His passing stats, while I don't have them to hand, I thought were very good and he helped out Gomez when he was clearly struggling. So there were plenty of reasons to justify what I would call a decent but not special score.

Perhaps that's where the confusion lies because a 7 to me is just above average, nothing special, just decent and that's how I'd sum up his game.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #677: Oct 01, 2017 09:05:43 pm
      We only got two class players little Brazil in Phil but he gone next season can't blame him see sh*t around with him he what win things mane will be next not sure how club can go forward wish we had very rich owners go out spend money
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #678: Oct 01, 2017 09:07:36 pm
      Look like klopp if he still here have rebuilt job in third year he need two cback other forward other midfielder can will go too and couple more players
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #679: Oct 01, 2017 09:12:24 pm
      Pathetic lacklustre performance ONCE AGAIN, Klopp is struggling big time, few more performances like this and he is under huge pressure, every single game we dominated possession, create chances, don't covert our chances, and let in quite ridiculous goals, honestly can't see things improving anytime soon, as the same muppets are playing week in week out.

Moreno is a headless chicken, why sign Robertson? He has looked ok on his rare appearances, delivery is better than Moreno.

Painful watching Gini and Hendo together, no creativity whatsoever, both are Mr Safe, Hendo gets the ball off the CB, and plays it straight back to them, or gives it 5 yards sideways, no use at all, and Gini slows us down, and offers bugger all, would rather see Milner or Ox in CM ahead of this constant let down.

AND LFC LET ME DOWN FOR MY F*CKIN 5 TEAM ACCA.

I hear you brother. Mine didn't have five teams in it but it was worth a couple of quid.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,982 posts | 513 
      Reply #680: Oct 01, 2017 09:24:04 pm
      On a side note, I quite like their CB Lascelles. He's their captain as well, so Rafa clearly sees him as a leader.

Maybe one to keep an eye on for January.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #681: Oct 01, 2017 09:30:44 pm
      Hard to believe Everton are only five points behind us!..

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #682: Oct 01, 2017 09:32:37 pm
      This is a F***ing disgrace, he is no young kid a 27 year old International intentionally hiding in games.

https://twitter.com/lfcdata/status/914546579369054208
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #683: Oct 01, 2017 09:34:21 pm
      This is a f**king disgrace, he is no young kid a 27 year old International intentionally hiding in games.

https://twitter.com/lfcdata/status/914546579369054208

That's pretty criminal to be fair, I thought he was awful when watching but that makes painful reading.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #684: Oct 01, 2017 09:35:54 pm
      Watching Daniel Sturridge today reminded me of watch Steven Gerrard in his last two season with Liverpool... You could see that the mind is willing but the body can no longer do it.... Given time and space he can still score, but you very rarely get the time and space in the Premier league, or CL for that matter...

Sadly we held on to Daniel two seasons longer than we should have
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #685: Oct 01, 2017 09:38:14 pm
      Thought that was Bobby Luke  ;)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #686: Oct 01, 2017 09:40:40 pm

:D

Fair enough.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #687: Oct 01, 2017 09:41:02 pm
      Not being funny, but Stevie would still walk into this team and boss it.

Midfield is all over the place.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #688: Oct 01, 2017 09:41:46 pm
      And out of the cup and winless in the Champions League too.

Absolute mess.

Ha thanks for reminding me!

Not good, this season has been shocking.

I like our home kit though, that's a good thing...
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,972 posts | 237 
      Reply #689: Oct 01, 2017 09:42:55 pm
      Hard to believe Everton are only five points behind us!..

And,  the leaders are only 7 pts ahead mate. Third placed, high flying Spurs are actually only 2 pts ahead.

Quick Reply