Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (2.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (8.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      46 (67.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (7.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: Oct 05, 2017 06:25:54 pm

Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32803 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #690: Oct 01, 2017 09:48:46 pm
      And,  the leaders are only 7 pts ahead mate. Third placed, high flying Spurs are actually only 2 pts ahead.

True! could be worse.. we could have Ronald Duck Koeman as our manager! ;D

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #691: Oct 01, 2017 09:48:49 pm
      And,  the leaders are only 7 pts ahead mate. Third placed, high flying Spurs are actually only 2 pts ahead.

Can you honestly see us beating United in this run of form? If they win that they'll be ten points ahead of us. The season is already slipping by us.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #692: Oct 01, 2017 09:52:15 pm
      Can you honestly see us beating United in this run of form? If they win that they'll be ten points ahead of us. The season is already slipping by us.

I actually can. Would not surprise me in the slightest
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #693: Oct 01, 2017 09:54:29 pm
      Pretty sure Milner would have no problem at RB than sitting on the bench.

Klopp is certainly too rigid sometimes, you can make a sub at HT Jürgen that's what the bench is for not just if a player gets injured or tired in the 85min.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #694: Oct 01, 2017 09:57:27 pm

Its at Anfield and I believe that we will rise up to the challenge. We always do! The crowd won't let the team f**k up.

Its these Burnleys and West Broms that I am worried about.

Having said that Mourinho will set his team to defend against us for a point and be happy if they can get 3 pts (Smash and grab).  Expect both Herrera and Matic to start.
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2017 10:04:28 pm by redindian »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #695: Oct 01, 2017 10:21:43 pm
      Its at Anfield and I believe that we will rise up to the challenge. We always do! The crowd won't let the team f**k up.

Its these Burnleys and West Broms that I am worried about. 

and the Newcastles and the Huddersfields and the Watfords and the Brightons and the West Hams and the Stoke Citys..
      I also believe we will rise to the challenge on October 14th but will the resulting pride of that east lancs battle be enough to satisfy my hunger...sadly not.
      Our next three games will determine if we really are good enough to achieve anything this year.. and that's the harsh reality check.
      Beat the Mancs, win the CL game midweek then go on to beat Tottenham away and we are in with a chance.
      Not much to ask is it?
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #696: Oct 01, 2017 10:29:06 pm
      and the Newcastles and the Huddersfields and the Watfords and the Brightons and the West Hams and the Stoke Citys..
      I also believe we will rise to the challenge on October 14th but will the resulting pride of that east lancs battle be enough to satisfy my hunger...sadly not.
      Our next three games will determine if we really are good enough to achieve anything this year.. and that's the harsh reality check.
      Beat the Mancs, win the CL game midweek then go on to beat Tottenham away and we are in with a chance.
      Not much to ask is it?

Sadly that is actually a very important week. It has come to that this early in the season. But, it could work in our favour. Klopp talks about collecting points and keeping within touching distance in order to achieve and to play for something in the third part of the season. We really need to collect all the points that we can during that week.
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2017 10:34:22 pm by redindian »
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #697: Oct 01, 2017 10:40:40 pm
      I really hate negativity.That said, there was lots of poor performances there today.Many short/simple passes not reaching the "intended" target.
      How can Mane play that bad?It definitely wasn't the case of "trying TOO hard."Too many individuals played poorly to mention.
      Couldn't help noticing how weak Gomez was today.Talk about Hendo "going sideways and back" he (JG) never once saw a pass forward and only ventured forward on one occasion or two?
      I honestly believe we are close to being a great side again.Please do it sooner rather that too much later.

IJKWT.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #698: Oct 01, 2017 11:14:26 pm
      As unsurprising it is to see fans gloating that Sturridge didn't score today (heaven for bid if he did.. they would have been devastated), I am surprised as to why Sturridge was given a "must score today" condition to his Liverpool career?

When will Firmino be afforded the same "must score today" condition? He has a longer barren run in the Premier League than Danny. Also, I noticed that Firmino did not score today either (although KopiteLuke does proclaim that Firmino had a brilliant cameo off the bench - and would have scored had he come on even earlier). Funny that.

Slight hypocrisy no?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #699: Oct 01, 2017 11:31:17 pm
      As unsurprising it is to see fans gloating that Sturridge didn't score today (heaven for bid if he did.. they would have been devastated)

Manc type post that.

I think he's slow and the past of LFC but nobody would have cheered louder than me if he'd stuck that chance past their keeper.

What can't you understand about that? Are you his agent or something?

Put the fishing rod away.

DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #700: Oct 01, 2017 11:33:40 pm

Manc's gloating that Sturridge didn't score. I understand that.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #701: Oct 01, 2017 11:36:08 pm
      Should have but our hopes on beat utd spurs save season Christ every year we drop so many points against lesser teams not even funny anymore we only one good game these year against sh*t aresanl team
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #702: Oct 01, 2017 11:37:22 pm
      Manc's gloating that Sturridge didn't score. I understand that.

How do you think Sturridge played today then? Marks out of ten?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #703: Oct 01, 2017 11:48:54 pm
      At the end of the day, we are not the only side that teams park the bus against, they do it against all the better sides. City, spuds, Chavs, arse, yet they usually finds way through. We can't, and look disjointed in midfield. Poor positional at the back, and nobody on the field willing or able to control the game.
      However good we look going forward, with some quality individuals, collectively we are just not good enough.
      We need changes, but nothing can happen until Jan in that respect, so we just gotta get on with what we've got and hope for the best.
      So pissed off. Thought this might be our year. Already too far behind and I don't think our record against the top 6 is gonna continue on this form that's for sure.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #704: Oct 01, 2017 11:49:13 pm
      How do you think Sturridge played today then? Marks out of ten?

I don't do these marking/rating things. But at a push, 3 or 4.

It's all comparative though. The score ought to be considered in light of his team mates ratings. The front 3 all missed chances and wasted opportunities. Was anyone on a 9 or 10 today?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #705: Oct 01, 2017 11:54:05 pm
      I actually can. Would not surprise me in the slightest

I hate them with every ounce of my body, but there is no way our defense are stopping a powerful centre forward like Lukaku.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #706: Oct 01, 2017 11:58:00 pm
      What bugs me is the attitude of players. Like Wini who is looking to get away from it all for the International Break.

Aside from the odd victory (Leicester), it doesn't cover up the general poor run of form and results. Yet all we get from the club and players is press releases / statements about how they 'look to the next game', getting 'back to winning ways' etc. etc.

Then there are the photos from the training sessions where they are all having a great time. Even Klopp is enjoying each session with laughter and jokes with the players.

Then another result like today!!  :mad: It's not right. They think it's acceptable to not care.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #707: Oct 02, 2017 12:06:24 am
      As unsurprising it is to see fans gloating that Sturridge didn't score today (heaven for bid if he did.. they would have been devastated), I am surprised as to why Sturridge was given a "must score today" condition to his Liverpool career?

When will Firmino be afforded the same "must score today" condition? He has a longer barren run in the Premier League than Danny. Also, I noticed that Firmino did not score today either (although KopiteLuke does proclaim that Firmino had a brilliant cameo off the bench - and would have scored had he come on even earlier). Funny that.

Slight hypocrisy no?

I honestly don't really care all that much about him missing the chances, that sh*t happens, the most important thing is getting into the right positions to actually have a chance.

There also wasn't a "must score today" condition to his Liverpool career. People say that looking at his overall play. That's what annoys me the most. Miss a chance? Sucks, get into good positions again and keep trying. It's the complete lack of overall play and effort that makes it so infuriating to watch. Whenever he loses possession (and he has an awful lot lately), he just stands there, no desire at all to try and win the ball back. The only upside he had left was being more clinical compared to Firmino. Now even that seems to be gone. He's just pretty worthless to have as a 'lone striker' in that 4-3-3. When Firmino is stinking out the place in front of goal, he still has his overall play and workrate to help with.

He's so easily pushed off the ball, the way he was offside 2 or 3 times today was, and it honestly hurts to say it, frankly embarrassing. He doesn't link up nearly as well with the other attackers as Firmino does and his closing down is just some half arsed jogging.

He's perfect as a sub when games are starting to open up a bit and when the opposition is getting tired, then he'll still look good (Leicester game). As a starter? Not for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #708: Oct 02, 2017 12:09:43 am
      Can't remember when I actually last voted for a man of the match. Coutinho probably been our best player over last few games. Actually, no probably about it, but even he hasn't looked up to standard apart from the odd moment of brilliance.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #709: Oct 02, 2017 12:13:02 am
      Quite simply we MUST get better at taking our chances, we will never win a thing if we need 5 clear chances per goal. I'm not sure whether that is down to personnel or training but something has to change and please no more Sturridge, I'd much rather play one of the youngsters.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #710: Oct 02, 2017 12:27:41 am
      This is a f**king disgrace, he is no young kid a 27 year old International intentionally hiding in games.

https://twitter.com/lfcdata/status/914546579369054208

not saying this isn't real but i'm wondering where these stats come from
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #711: Oct 02, 2017 12:50:48 am
      I hate them with every ounce of my body, but there is no way our defense are stopping a powerful centre forward like Lukaku.

Lukaku has always fared better against the smaller teams when compared to the bigger teams. In fact, our defense has always kept him in their pockets whenever we have played against him.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #712: Oct 02, 2017 12:56:13 am
      F**k I wish we could use Matip/Sakho as a CB pair. I really, really dislike Lovren. Oh well.

I think we're short a commanding CB, any random F***ing player to take Gini's place, and an actual goalscorer. I wonder if there's a solution to this F***ing mess that isn't waiting for the next year and hoping we can buy the players we need.

Not to say Klopp is blameless about this, but our squad seems pretty limited IMO.

Quick Reply