Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (2.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (8.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      46 (67.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (7.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: Oct 05, 2017 06:25:54 pm

Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32802 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Re: Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Oct 02, 2017 01:19:08 am
      How can something disappoint you so often and yet you still love it so dearly? I'm sure me mam has asked herself that question in regards to me many times throughout her life as well. But honestly, in normal life you wouldn't put up with it. If a bird you were going with constantly let ya down, you'd jib her off for someone else. If your job constantly fu**ed you over, you'd piss off and find yourself another one. If a curry house didn't deliver anywhere near the time they said they would, you'd scrap it and find somewhere else. But football, nah, it's alright Liverpool. You let me down, you keep breaking me heart and give me sleepless nights all you like because in the morning I'll still F***ing love you and find a way to forgive yet another embarrassing performance. The sport of football is F***ing stupid!

On to today's game though what's new eh? We dominate the game for the most part and still concede a goal to a side who didn't even want to attack. We miss a shedload of chances because our front line isn't clinical enough. We rely on a piece of magic from a South American who made it crystal clear that he wanted out. Same old Liverpool. And these are problems that have been engrained into the club for many years. It's why we've had five managers in this decade alone. To put that in perspective, we only had eight managers in the fifty years previous to 2010. We've now had five in seven. So if we're continuing at this rate, from eight managers in fifty years, we'll be headed for thirty-five managers in the forty-nine years that followed. The business of football is F***ing daft!

Now, today's game. As I said before ranting about the managerial merry-go-round we've been on lately, what's new? It's getting so tiresome saying the same things game after game. It's simply not good enough or acceptable for us to be playing like this for such a sustained period of time, without addressing the real issues. We're a disaster waiting to happen at the back, we haven't signed anybody to solve that problem (we've tried and they've all just increased the issue rather than rectify it). We're a free scoring side who miss more golden chances than we put away because we don't have that clinical forward who'd break every record going with the amount of chances we create. Again, we haven't solved that problem since Suarez left. We haven't went out and got somebody who you can bet your house on scoring. Now's the time to reminisce about Robbie Fowler.

And the constant refusal to actually address these issues are costing us, both have been very apparent this year - including today.

Mignolet - could very easily be man of the match because he didn't do anything wrong. He dealt with the balls he had to, he looked alright with the ball at his feet, didn't play any of his stupid suicide passes to the defence. And for the goal, I don't think he could of done anything about given the fluky nature of the actual goal.

Gomez - had a shocker today and should of been subbed. Lucky not to get sent off, either for two yellows or a straight red for the one he was booked for. That was worse, in my opinion, than the Mane red card at City. Got forward a few times and never really delivered a decent ball. On the odd occasion he was tested defensively, he was found wanting. I like Joey as a player but today was not his finest game.

Matip - the goal apart, he didn't do much wrong and he did alright to get back and get a foot in on the goal. But even despite all that, you can't take away how F***ing daft a goal it was to concede and Joel, along with Lovren beside him, both need to take responsibility for allowing that goal to happen. A straight ball played right through the middle to a fella completely unmarked. Only player to play every Premiership minute for us this year. Now since we're having constant problems, maybe the problem is the constant.

Lovren - like Matip, didn't do much wrong bar the goal. But that seems to becoming a trend. We don't gift sides seven or eight chances a game, we just gift them chances that they can hardly miss. And having defenders who will always make a mistake, is a big F***ing problem.

Moreno - it comes to something when our most assured looking defender is Alberto F***ing Moreno. At the minute he's the least our of troubles at the back. F**k me! His attacking play, which used to be the one thing he had going for him, deserted him today because every time he went forward he did nothing. But defensively he was alright for the majority of the game and I don't know the F**k Matt Ritchie got Man of the Match off that pr**k Alan Smith, given he hardly touched the ball, thanks in large to Albie.

Henderson - what's new? He's still the same player he was four years ago. He's improved since we bought him but that's because we primarily played him as a right winger for his first couple of years. But since he's become a permanent fixture in the middle of our team, he's not kicked on at all. And like many others, I like Henderson. I think there's a place in the side for a player like him but it's not as the man who has all the space in the world to look up, pick a pass and execute it because he doesn't have the mental ability to play that role. He can play those sort of passes, he's proven it but his mind doesn't allow him to play them as often as he should, instead his first thought is safety.

Wijnaldum - hit the post from a corner, which caused havoc in their box and led to both Matip and Lovren missing easy chances. But other than that, I don't know what Gini provided. Now I usually have a soft spot for the players who do their work unnoticed, I'm not a fan of fancy dan type players. And I have always said that I like Gini. But as I've also said so often, he and Henderson as a pairing just isn't creative enough. They don't have to be Alonso but they have to get the ball forward to our clever thinking players much quicker. But to do that, you have take the odd risk and neither is prepared to do that, they are both safety first players.

Coutinho - I see he's walking away with the man of the match vote, probably because of his goal alone. Because other than that, I thought he was quite poor really. Had a lot of the ball but didn't do much with it. Came far too deep far too often to collect it - though that goes back to what I just said about Wijnaldum and Henderson not getting the ball forward quickly enough.

Salah - I've said it all season with him that he's not clincal enough. And today again proved it. Also wasteful with the ball. Few times where he could of broke free and played the right ball, he either knocked it too far ahead of himself or just lost it. When we win, his missed chances are covered but when we don't, it becomes more apparent how important those missed chances are. Today was one of those cases. But he certainly improved when he was moved into a more central position.

Mane - one of his more infuriating performances because, like Salah, he was so wasteful with the ball - especially in the first half. I was still surprised though to see him come off first (or joint first) because even though today wasn't his day, he's one of two players we have (Coutinho being the other) who can make something happen out of nothing even when they're not performing at their best. Having said that, the change gave us a new lease of life and we looked a lot more lively.

Sturridge - very disappointing from Danny. He wants his chance, we want him to get his chance and when he does he plays like he did today. Missing chances that he should be burying, trying too hard to be an individual rather than part of the team and just looking like he didn't give a toss. Not one of Danny's finest games and could wind up being one of his last in a Liverpool shirt.

Solanke - I really like this kid because he gives us something different. Not only his hunger to impress and willingness to put himself about physically but he's also a threat in the air. And he doesn't mind putting his head in where it hurts by the looks of things. At this stage of his development as a player and ours as a side, he may only be a plan b type player from the bench but I think over the next twelve to eighteen months he'll have cemented that starting forward position as his own.

Firmino - undoubtedly man of the match from some quarters but didn't do a lot in all honesty. Ran around and looked like he cared at the very least, which was an improvement on Sturridge but overall he didn't do anything to get us on the edge of our seats.

Chamberlain - what's the F***ing point in him being here? I mean your record transfer (even with today's F***ing daft inflated prices) sat on the bench until the 85th minute? Hasn't started a single Premier League game for us. He's played less than a full match in his four sub appearances combined in the League since he joined. If Klopp doesn't fancy him then why the F**k did we sign him? Is Klopp the yes man that we were told he wasn't? Is the committee making transfers without his say so? Is Klopp just a bad judge of player? Whatever the F***ing reason, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain should not be at Liverpool Football Club.

Overall, not F***ing good enough. Again. Missing too many chances, giving the opposition chances on a plate and a lack of real effort. No heart, no desire, no care. Just swanning around like it doesn't matter. Well it F***ing does matter to billions of Reds across the world. And it F***ing hurts to see a side that can wipe any club in the world aside with ease underperform so often.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #714: Oct 02, 2017 05:32:38 am
      As people say it's easy to talk this or that after the game but I'd say if Klopp ONLY start Andy Robertson instead of Moreno, we win.

Except Robertson injure or not available whatever the reason I think excluding him from the squad is utterly crazy.

Klopp did too many strange things, many even not necessarily. He and the players look truly desperate. That's not a good sign at all, no matter what Klopp lovers (I'm included) think.   
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2017 06:04:03 am by skolRED »
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #715: Oct 02, 2017 10:00:35 am
      Another disappointing result, and again a game there for the taking.  They were pretty poor and offered very little.

Our recent form was summed up when Studge and Mo couldn't take advantage of that miskick in the second half - both should have scored.  More frustrating is the nature of their goal - I can't blame Matip for the tackle, just one of those things, but the ball shouldn't be there in the first place (and maybe a hint of offside?).

Most agreed that Bobby needed a rest, and that we needed a proper striker playing, but it almost looks like Solanke suits our style more, just probably not ready yet (although we will not know with the odd cameo here and there).
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #716: Oct 02, 2017 10:53:20 am
      As people say it's easy to talk this or that after the game but I'd say if Klopp ONLY start Andy Robertson instead of Moreno, we win.

Except Robertson injure or not available whatever the reason I think excluding him from the squad is utterly crazy.

Klopp did too many strange things, many even not necessarily. He and the players look truly desperate. That's not a good sign at all, no matter what Klopp lovers (I'm included) think.   

What???

You're saying Moreno is the reason we didn't win that game?

Yea ok pal.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #717: Oct 02, 2017 11:32:53 am
      We don't have enough hard men in team get in people faces too many nice guys in team Steven Gerrard he won't let players get way with sh*t playing in game
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #718: Oct 02, 2017 12:00:00 pm
      Sometimes you need to be able to keep a clean sheet.
      You can't put multiple goals past everyone.
      Especially teams with 8-9 players in banks of 4-5,
      just happy to sit back and soak it all up.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #719: Oct 02, 2017 12:09:56 pm
      Sometimes you need to be able to keep a clean sheet.
      You can't put multiple goals past everyone.
      Especially teams with 8-9 players in banks of 4-5,
      just happy to sit back and soak it all up.

A couple of 1-0 wins would be what we need at this point.
      Maybe it's time to be a bit more pragmatic like at the end of the last season.

We love Klopp for being so attack orientated but without the right personnel -  DM and better defenders we are too open.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #720: Oct 02, 2017 01:12:38 pm
      A couple of 1-0 wins would be what we need at this point.
      Maybe it's time to be a bit more pragmatic like at the end of the last season.

We love Klopp for being so attack orientated but without the right personnel -  DM and better defenders we are too open.

DM? I think we are missing the much maligned Lucas..

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #721: Oct 02, 2017 01:15:36 pm
      I can understand people jumping all over the centre backs again and saying the defence is sh*te blah blah, but that straight ball in between is just text book like Aguero's goal and we have not fixed the problem which is more frustrating to me than anything. Here is the truth, the ball from Shelvey should never have got through! You cannot give the opponent time on the ball to pick the pass, where was the pressing? Got to make him go wide. So midfield to blame if  anyone, it's like I have stated many times, you have to defend as a team!!!

Correct.
      The reason Shelvey ended up with the ball in the first place was down to the fact that Sturridge mis-controlled it and gave it away.
      If you watch our build up play immediately leading up to this point we had the ball pinging those little triangular passes together then BOOM! It bounces off Sturridge's shin and Shelvey finds himself in a load of space with an empty motorway stretching right up in front of him.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #722: Oct 02, 2017 01:21:04 pm
      I went to the game yesterday and made a weekend of it sinking a few pints in Newcastle, so I'm not as disappointed as I usually would be, but f**k me that was sh*te.

I can't believe some people are refusing to show any criticism by saying 'we're only 7 points behind the leaders'. What planet are you on? We're only seven games into the season and to be that far behind at this stage is a huge gap. We have 12 points form 7 games, scored 13 and conceded 12, do you think that's good enough? 

The game against United now is a must win, we have put ourselves under huge pressure. If they win they go 10 clear of us and I can't see us catching that. We need to stay with them.

So no excuses from me. We were dreadful yesterday and it was another two points dropped as far as Im concerned. A very poor performance and I saw the same old struggling to break teams down who put men behind the ball. Our back four were their usual shambles self and conceded another soft goal to add to the million others beforehand.

Had no issues with the starting 11. It wouldn't be my starting 11 but I thought it was more than good enough to beat Newcastle. I thought it was time to give Bobby a rest and I was excited to see Sturridge get his chance. How wrong was I.

We were very slack in our play. Very slow. Ordinary. Boring. Predictable. Newcastle were organised and well drilled to be fair but we looked out of ideas after only 5 minutes in. It took a moment of brilliance from Coutinho to give us the lead and then obviously they levelled pretty much straight away. Shelvey was given far too much time and plays a through ball (was he in his own half too?) our two centre halves yet again fail to deal with the danger and their lad is through on goal. Very school boy ish.

Another game goes by and Plan A isn't working. So where the f**k is plan B? Why isn't klopp making any changes until the 75/80 minute? Its not good enough. I am no way calling Klopp out or anything here but Im getting f**king sick of watching the same old sh*t every week. We can all see the problems so why can't Jürgen?

Mignolet - Made a couple of saves but nothing you wouldn't expect. Slow in his distribution which stresses me out no end. Couldn't really do anything about their goal.

Gomez - Steady performance. Nothing spectacular but wasn't sh*t either. In games like this where we are expected to win comfortably I would prefer Trent to be honest who is much better in the final third. In games where we may struggle then Id prefer him over Trent because he is much better defensively. Seems bonkers to me not playing him CB instead of Lovren. Im dying to see a matip gomez partnership - it could finally be the solution to all our problems.

Lovren - Had enough of this tart. Sell him.  It wasn't even one of his worse games either but he still drives me mad.

Matip - He is the better of the two but he isn't good enough to carry Lovren on his own. He isn't that top calibre player that VVD is for example.

Moreno - Reminds me of a puppy that's just necked three cans of red bull. He has improved since his previous years here but he still isn't good enough and that's just the simple fact of the matter. I don't know why Robertson isn't getting a shirt who has always looked far more comfortable whenever he has played and we look much more balanced. Robertson is a better defender, and can play a pass better than Moreno, so why isn't he playing?

Henderson - Hello captain shithouse. No drive, no tackles, no pressing, repeatedly passing the ball backwards or sideways. His performances improved slightly against Leicester 3-2 win and in Moscow but they just papered over the cracks. The bloke is sh*t. Sh*te captain, sh*te footballer, not good enough and if we want to be fighting at the top of this league he needs to be binned.

Wijnaldum - Im a fan of gini but he frustrates the sh*t out of me. I've seen him completely boss games on his own at Anfield and he has been the best player on the pitch. But for some reason away from home he goes missing and its like playing with 10 men. Its bizarre.

Coutinho - Our best player. Great goal and always looked at getting on the ball and trying to make things happen.

Mane - Probably the worst I've seen him in a red shirt. He just had a stinker and looked rusty. I can forgive him though because its very rare for him to have such an off game - happens to everybody.

Salah - Very quiet game and struggled to get into it.

Sturridge - He was awful and missed a sitter but I do actually feel sorry for him. He gets left out for 6-7 games at a time and when he does play he is expected to bag a brace, and if he doesn't he gets binned for another 6-7 games. How is he supposed to find form and his match sharpness like that?

Last thing to say, why the f**k isn't the ox getting a game? I know he was dreadful in the league cup at Leicester but we've spent 35m on him when he was a free agent in less than a year. Klopp obviously wanted him and he is obviously part of klopps plans, so why not play him?!  That midfield needed an injection of pace yesterday and somebody to carry the ball forward from the middle. Hendo and Wijnaldum were doing f**k all so ox should have come on much earlier and played in the middle in my opinion.

Very poor reds. Make it up to us and smash the f**king mancs please.

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2017 03:26:11 pm by HamannsTheMan »
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #723: Oct 02, 2017 01:21:07 pm
      We have won't a trophy in long time league cup last club too many poor weak players don't really care lose or win look till klopp get rid of maybe 6 players Henderson and few more we going win F**k all fact
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #724: Oct 02, 2017 01:28:56 pm
      What???

You're saying Moreno is the reason we didn't win that game?

Yea ok pal.

Yes.
      IMO if Robertson start instead of Moreno, then we almost certain focus our attack through Robertson as he's proof he can deliver quality final ball to the attackers (as we see in the League Cup game against Leicester). His final ball are a definitely better than Gomez and Moreno and that surely increasing chance of scoring goals.
      This game the majority of our attack go through Gomez, and he deliver many balls to the box but those balls are poor while we have least effective attack through Moreno.

Stats maybe shown players made key passes and Moreno seem has a decent on him but from what I saw with my eyes he's a different class to Robertson.

Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #725: Oct 02, 2017 02:30:31 pm
      I have been beating on the same drum for a while, but once again it was our poor finishing letting us down.
      I cannot care for the criticism at our midfield nor our defence since we all know they arent good enough in most games.
      Teams park the bus against us yes, however we have created so many clear / open chances that these missed opportunities are almost criminal.

I called for a change in attack, it happened and fair play to JK for putting in Sturridge, unfortunately he didnt play well at all. Perhaps the next step is to try Solanke in his place and then use Sturridge as an impact sub.

In last season when teams started to adopt the bus parking, we continually played it sideways with little to no width, this season we have added pace up front to accomodate the bus parkers, yet our midfield build up play is still slow and predictable. For goodness sake, can any of Hendo, Gini or Phil please play the ball forward or wide quicker? We are at our most dangerous when Mane or Salah are running and committing defenders, why would you not give them the ball sooner?

Another frustrating day, needless to say we will need a few scrappy wins against our next few opponents to ensure that we dont lose further ground in the race.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #726: Oct 02, 2017 04:37:55 pm
      Yes.
      IMO if Robertson start instead of Moreno, then we almost certain focus our attack through Robertson as he's proof he can deliver quality final ball to the attackers (as we see in the League Cup game against Leicester). His final ball are a definitely better than Gomez and Moreno and that surely increasing chance of scoring goals.
      This game the majority of our attack go through Gomez, and he deliver many balls to the box but those balls are poor while we have least effective attack through Moreno.

Stats maybe shown players made key passes and Moreno seem has a decent on him but from what I saw with my eyes he's a different class to Robertson.

Robertson or not the crosses were going to someone who wasn't going to score by the looks of it
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #727: Oct 02, 2017 05:24:43 pm
      I have been beating on the same drum for a while, but once again it was our poor finishing letting us down.
      I cannot care for the criticism at our midfield nor our defence since we all know they arent good enough in most games.

Teams park the bus against us yes, however we have created so many clear / open chances that these missed opportunities are almost criminal.

I called for a change in attack, it happened and fair play to JK for putting in Sturridge, unfortunately he didnt play well at all. Perhaps the next step is to try Solanke in his place and then use Sturridge as an impact sub.

In last season when teams started to adopt the bus parking, we continually played it sideways with little to no width, this season we have added pace up front to accomodate the bus parkers, yet our midfield build up play is still slow and predictable. For goodness sake, can any of Hendo, Gini or Phil please play the ball forward or wide quicker? We are at our most dangerous when Mane or Salah are running and committing defenders, why would you not give them the ball sooner?

Another frustrating day, needless to say we will need a few scrappy wins against our next few opponents to ensure that we dont lose further ground in the race.

Trouble is though mate EVERY teams goals dry up for a while, it happens. We can't keep relying on the attack to score a sh!tload in every game, and really once we've gone 1-0 up in the first half at Newcastle, it ought to be game over if we play sensible. Sit in, let them come, hit them on the break and it's 2-0 before half time and any score you like in the second half. I know the defence is sh!te, but not being able to sit in for more than f****** seven mintes at newcastle is a joke. Had we missed a hatful then conceded from a scramble in the dying seconds with their goalie throwing himself into the melee I could forgive the defence. Not here though.

DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #728: Oct 02, 2017 07:32:46 pm
      Still completely peed off with yesterday's performance, result, utter shambles, watched the game back today and shocked with our boring brand of football, thought Klopp would have got us playing an expansive attacking style of football like we have shown on the very odd occasion, but week in week out the football is completely dull, such a slow build up, all sideways and backwards passing, but shocked to why this keeps happening, Mane and Salah are two of the quickest players around, but we rarely counter using there speed.

I am not a massive Clyne fan but my god do we miss him, and Lallana too, miss him big time, least he is positive and looks to create, unlike Gini and Hendo, painful to watch them together.

Also must say I feel for the Ox, I feel he is getting treated terribly by Klopp and the fans, give the lad a bloody chance, one start and he is written off, given the chance he would offer us speed and positive forward thinking play, instead of laboured sideways negative sh*te we see from the usual Muppets.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #729: Oct 02, 2017 07:41:36 pm
      I went to the game yesterday and made a weekend of it sinking a few pints in Newcastle, so I'm not as disappointed as I usually would be, but f**k me that was sh*te.

I can't believe some people are refusing to show any criticism by saying 'we're only 7 points behind the leaders'. What planet are you on? We're only seven games into the season and to be that far behind at this stage is a huge gap. We have 12 points form 7 games, scored 13 and conceded 12, do you think that's good enough? 

The game against United now is a must win, we have put ourselves under huge pressure. If they win they go 10 clear of us and I can't see us catching that. We need to stay with them.

So no excuses from me. We were dreadful yesterday and it was another two points dropped as far as Im concerned. A very poor performance and I saw the same old struggling to break teams down who put men behind the ball. Our back four were their usual shambles self and conceded another soft goal to add to the million others beforehand.

Had no issues with the starting 11. It wouldn't be my starting 11 but I thought it was more than good enough to beat Newcastle. I thought it was time to give Bobby a rest and I was excited to see Sturridge get his chance. How wrong was I.

We were very slack in our play. Very slow. Ordinary. Boring. Predictable. Newcastle were organised and well drilled to be fair but we looked out of ideas after only 5 minutes in. It took a moment of brilliance from Coutinho to give us the lead and then obviously they levelled pretty much straight away. Shelvey was given far too much time and plays a through ball (was he in his own half too?) our two centre halves yet again fail to deal with the danger and their lad is through on goal. Very school boy ish.

Another game goes by and Plan A isn't working. So where the f**k is plan B? Why isn't klopp making any changes until the 75/80 minute? Its not good enough. I am no way calling Klopp out or anything here but Im getting f**king sick of watching the same old sh*t every week. We can all see the problems so why can't Jürgen?

Mignolet - Made a couple of saves but nothing you wouldn't expect. Slow in his distribution which stresses me out no end. Couldn't really do anything about their goal.

Gomez - Steady performance. Nothing spectacular but wasn't sh*t either. In games like this where we are expected to win comfortably I would prefer Trent to be honest who is much better in the final third. In games where we may struggle then Id prefer him over Trent because he is much better defensively. Seems bonkers to me not playing him CB instead of Lovren. Im dying to see a matip gomez partnership - it could finally be the solution to all our problems.

Lovren - Had enough of this tart. Sell him.  It wasn't even one of his worse games either but he still drives me mad.

Matip - He is the better of the two but he isn't good enough to carry Lovren on his own. He isn't that top calibre player that VVD is for example.

Moreno - Reminds me of a puppy that's just necked three cans of red bull. He has improved since his previous years here but he still isn't good enough and that's just the simple fact of the matter. I don't know why Robertson isn't getting a shirt who has always looked far more comfortable whenever he has played and we look much more balanced. Robertson is a better defender, and can play a pass better than Moreno, so why isn't he playing?

Henderson - Hello captain shithouse. No drive, no tackles, no pressing, repeatedly passing the ball backwards or sideways. His performances improved slightly against Leicester 3-2 win and in Moscow but they just papered over the cracks. The bloke is sh*t. Sh*te captain, sh*te footballer, not good enough and if we want to be fighting at the top of this league he needs to be binned.

Wijnaldum - Im a fan of gini but he frustrates the sh*t out of me. I've seen him completely boss games on his own at Anfield and he has been the best player on the pitch. But for some reason away from home he goes missing and its like playing with 10 men. Its bizarre.

Coutinho - Our best player. Great goal and always looked at getting on the ball and trying to make things happen.

Mane - Probably the worst I've seen him in a red shirt. He just had a stinker and looked rusty. I can forgive him though because its very rare for him to have such an off game - happens to everybody.

Salah - Very quiet game and struggled to get into it.

Sturridge - He was awful and missed a sitter but I do actually feel sorry for him. He gets left out for 6-7 games at a time and when he does play he is expected to bag a brace, and if he doesn't he gets binned for another 6-7 games. How is he supposed to find form and his match sharpness like that?

Last thing to say, why the f**k isn't the ox getting a game? I know he was dreadful in the league cup at Leicester but we've spent 35m on him when he was a free agent in less than a year. Klopp obviously wanted him and he is obviously part of klopps plans, so why not play him?!  That midfield needed an injection of pace yesterday and somebody to carry the ball forward from the middle. Hendo and Wijnaldum were doing f**k all so ox should have come on much earlier and played in the middle in my opinion.

Very poor reds. Make it up to us and smash the f**king mancs please.

Agree agree agree +10000
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #730: Oct 02, 2017 07:52:08 pm
      Looks like the subtitles guy at the BBC was a bit pissed off during the game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-41473443
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #731: Oct 02, 2017 09:02:39 pm

Apologies for quoting this part alone as I believe you had me in your mind when you typed this.

I believe that the table and the points collected so far aren't exactly a true reflection of the performance. Except for the league cup game (second half) against Leicester, we have been playing really well and at the moment the rub of the green isn't exactly on our side. We have every right to criticize the performance and the position in the table and criticize we can and criticize we must.

But, a bit of perspective about yesterday's game; This is the same team that did not allow a single shot on target when it was playing against Tottenham until the 65th min. Tottenham was able to win that game courtesy a Jonjo Shelvey red card. Now, allow me to indulge in a few ifs and buts, hypothetical, yes, but I believe this needs to be pointed out as it is a game of fine margins - If the Gini shot had not hit the woodwork (I think you will agree that it was bad luck), we would have been 2-0 up when Coutinho scored that beauty. The Joselu goal, for all the mistakes that have been pointed out (rightly) was also an unlucky moment, firstly because it was scored from an offside position and secondly, the attempt to clear the ball by Matip on any other day would have gone out of play. Sturridge missed a golden opportunity to convert the mistake from Clarke at the start of the second half and in the dying minutes Ox missed a golden opportunity to score from a header. These are chances that would have goals written all over it on any other day.

Against a similar team a year ago, when we played at Burnley, we had 80% posession and that was definitely a game where we were devoid of ideas. That game was more worrying because the failure to create clear cut chances is always a bigger problem than the failure to covert those chances.

Yes, we are only 7 games into the season and there is a 7 point gap. But, that is exactly the reason why one or two good weeks will result in a change in fortunes. I believe that we will soon be converting all the chances sooner than later as all the team needs is one game in the near future when it puts an opposition to the sword. And I am hoping that it is the Maribor game (although i wish it was the Mancs) after the international break because there was a reversal in fortunes after the last international break and I hope that there is a reversal in fortunes after this international game.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #732: Oct 02, 2017 09:14:39 pm
      Bottom line is, whats the point of having loads of pace, if the opposition sit back and don't leave any space behind them to utilise it. Game after game, we are undone by the same ineffectual strategy. WE have to play a different tactic to overcome this. Searing pace alone isn't the answer.  Scum, Chavs, Citeh, Arse, and now even Spuds can manage it. Why can't we ?
      That's clearly down to our midfield with no guile. No finesse. No invention. If it wasn't for Couts we'd be 2 points worse off and he's only played 2 1/2 games. The poor defending is costing us yes, but the midfield is just as culpable due to the lack of class.
      You think Maureen is gonna come at us all guns blazing next week ? Don't think so. They might demand high tempo attacking football, but if he can grab 3 points off us by sitting back, he'll deffo go for it.
      I'm not gonna let my heart rule my head anymore. I'm slipping down the prediction league. I'm gonna go for the realistic expectations while we've got the likes of Hendo, Ginni and Can in midfield.
      So pissed off with this week after week. And the same drivel from hendo in the post match  presser.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #733: Oct 02, 2017 10:38:26 pm
      How F**k is Henderson still here l sure klopp could find better midfielder that can control game and should sold can he not good what people think does not what be here l just like see klopp be more ruthless not try be pal's or mates with players
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #734: Oct 02, 2017 10:42:01 pm

I don't for a second think we have been anywhere near good enough this season, frankly we've been pretty pathetic in all our games apart from Arsenal. But, Chelsea were 8 points behind the leaders at this stage last year and look how that turned out for them.

Not a chance in hell do I think we will be able to do that, just pointing out it can be done.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #735: Oct 03, 2017 01:43:00 pm
      Apologies for quoting this part alone as I believe you had me in your mind when you typed this.

I believe that the table and the points collected so far aren't exactly a true reflection of the performance. Except for the league cup game (second half) against Leicester, we have been playing really well and at the moment the rub of the green isn't exactly on our side. We have every right to criticize the performance and the position in the table and criticize we can and criticize we must.

But, a bit of perspective about yesterday's game; This is the same team that did not allow a single shot on target when it was playing against Tottenham until the 65th min. Tottenham was able to win that game courtesy a Jonjo Shelvey red card. Now, allow me to indulge in a few ifs and buts, hypothetical, yes, but I believe this needs to be pointed out as it is a game of fine margins - If the Gini shot had not hit the woodwork (I think you will agree that it was bad luck), we would have been 2-0 up when Coutinho scored that beauty. The Joselu goal, for all the mistakes that have been pointed out (rightly) was also an unlucky moment, firstly because it was scored from an offside position and secondly, the attempt to clear the ball by Matip on any other day would have gone out of play. Sturridge missed a golden opportunity to convert the mistake from Clarke at the start of the second half and in the dying minutes Ox missed a golden opportunity to score from a header. These are chances that would have goals written all over it on any other day.

Against a similar team a year ago, when we played at Burnley, we had 80% posession and that was definitely a game where we were devoid of ideas. That game was more worrying because the failure to create clear cut chances is always a bigger problem than the failure to covert those chances.

Yes, we are only 7 games into the season and there is a 7 point gap. But, that is exactly the reason why one or two good weeks will result in a change in fortunes. I believe that we will soon be converting all the chances sooner than later as all the team needs is one game in the near future when it puts an opposition to the sword. And I am hoping that it is the Maribor game (although i wish it was the Mancs) after the international break because there was a reversal in fortunes after the last international break and I hope that there is a reversal in fortunes after this international game.

Cheers for the reply and I appreciate your comments.

My post wasn't specifically directed at you. I skim read a few posts before making own and I just saw it crop up. I quite often see that sort of thing said though, people always saying those sort of things. I often see people say 'we can go level with Spurs' like that's some sort of achievement? It winds me up.

I understand what your saying, that its fine margins, but unfortunately its those fine margins which dictate the outcome of a football match - especially in the premier league.

Yes, we've had plenty of chances but most of us have been saying that we lack a natural goal scorer/finisher/striker. Bobby Firmino does a brilliant job and Im a big fan of his, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, he isn't going to get you 20 goals a season.  I'm also a big fan of Sturridge too, and I personally believe he could get us 20 a season but Klopp doesn't play him. When he does play him (every 6 or 7 games) he's rusty because he hasn't had a run in the team - just like we saw at Newcastle. The sturridge chance against Newcastle that you're referring too he would normally score with his eyes closed but the pressure of scoring, rustiness and the lack of confidence has gotten to him.  My point being, had Klopp signed a proper forward those chances you're referring too may have been converted.

We also won't win a thing with this back four. Every single week they let us down. We can all see the problems. We can all see the horrific partnership of Matip and Lovren. We can all see the England u21's captain playing out of position at right back when we could do with him in the middle. We can see all see a wild and reckless Moreno on the pitch and a calm composed Robertson on the bench. We can all see that our number 1 GK isn't good enough for top level football.

Anyway, to summarise, being 'only 7 points off top' isn't something to be proud of after 7 games played.

We're only 7 points off the relegation places too but nobody seems to mention that.

Quick Reply